[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one read film? Most visual metaphors go over my head.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11
File: the_seventh_seal_60345-1280x800.jpg (76 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
the_seventh_seal_60345-1280x800.jpg
76 KB, 1280x800
How does one read film? Most visual metaphors go over my head.
>>
you gotta have the gift, kid
>>
There is a certain way of watching we got accustomed to as we grew up. You gotta shake that off and just starting experiencing it, rather than just following the plot. I wouldn't say there is science to it.

A general accumilation of visual library/historical context wouldn't hurt though.
>>
>>63206654
the power?
>>
Taylor Durbin was a figment of The Narrators imagination. Did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>63206312
By enabling the subtitles you fucking idiot
>>
>>63206312
Go watch them intead of trying to created new memes on 4chan
>>
don't be an over-analytical fag OP

we have enough of those already. Directors like Lynch are purposefully fucking with your guys and you don't even realize it and you keep cupping his balls
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 209x204) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 209x204
Be smart and have an open mind

There is a difference between what the filmmaker intended and what you personally see in a film (surrealists like Lynch or Buñuel blur this line)

Pay attention and take your time. If this still doesn't help, you're simply not a perceptive type, and that's fine. Most people probably aren't.

also, not meming here but autistic people, and I mean people with the literal disorder, not the derogatory term, have trouble comprehending allegories or layered meanings. It's why they're the first to call something like Ulysses pretentious but champion a fact based medium like engineering.
>>
>>63209111
I have an autistic room-mate who is going to school for engineering and he hates movies. I think he only likes Futurama and thats it. Also Dexter but that is because he can relate to his autism. Also he only likes like two bands
>>
>>63209166
Autists generally dislike empathy based or abstract mediums like art. It's not their fault, it's just the way they are. The world needs its engineers and scientists.
>>
>>63209230
He also plays Final Fantasy
>>
Metaphors are only in the more artistic and abstract films. Most patrician directors don't do it. Just feel the film. And this >>63209047
>>
>>63209111
I know plenty of brutish jock types (well at least that's the role they play, they definitely weren't cool in high school) that are engineers who would call most artistic movies pretentious and think that South Park is the zenith of political satire
>>
>>63206654
*teleports behind you*
"just bizness kiddo"
>>
>>63209276
Kill him.
>>
>>63209395
But South Park is the peak of modern political satire.
>>
File: hallo at ya.jpg (157 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
hallo at ya.jpg
157 KB, 752x1063
>>63206654
>She called it "shining". And for a long time, I thought it was just the two of us that had the shine to us. Just like you probably thought you was the only one. But there are other folks, though mostly they don't know it, or don't believe it. How long have you been able to do it?
>>
>>63209467
Why he pretty much is dead anyways
>>
>>63209293
>Most patrician directors don't do it
Such as?
>>
>>63209395
those people comprise 90% of the /tv/ population right now
>>
>>63209495
One less FF fan. The meme is that one step closer to death.
>>
>>63209111
>championing engineering is autism
Tired of this meme, without engineering society would collapse. And the real experimental engineers requires phenomenal amounts of ingenuity and imagination and luck, hence why the profession is so stagnated.
>>
>>63209533
wyvern quest is the superior game tbqh
>>
>>63209556
>Unemployed Engineer autist detected
>>
>>63209533
Funny thing is he is obsessed with Japanese culture but does not like anime he actually told me once that he was more "Jap" then me because he can speak Japanese meanwhile my great grandfather was 100% Japanese. I do not like anime either and also ridicule him for his obsession with Japanese culture.
>>
>>63209556
Engineers =/= designers.

You fucking idiot. Designers do the work, engineers make it work.
>>
>>63209617
Can you speak Japanese though? He probably sneak loves anime, he has a power level. He just has literal autism levels of protection.
>>
>>63209505
A shorter list is those that do. And those that do do actual arthouse films. I wouldn't count the likes of Bergman and that group of directors as arthouse.
>>
>>63209583
hah, engineering is one of the actual professions where the
>300k starting
meme can actually apply if you got good grades and are in the right field. And even humble electricians can make killings for easy work. Not that I'd want to go into the field for anything less than particle physics stuff, and my grades weren't good enough and I hated uni at the time so I switched out.
>>
>>63209643
No does not matter though I am actually part japanese he is just native american and jelly. Like I care though I do not see the big deal about Japan and could give two fucks.
>>
>>63209621
>architectural engineers are not designers
And what the hell do you mean by
>designer
Without proper engineering experience you are never gonna make a new and better bridge. What would you have to learn to be an engineering 'designer' that's not engineering lmao
>>
>>63209681
I am afraid he is more Japanese than you.

>Like I care though I do not see the big deal about Japan and could give two fucks.
It's only in your blood.
>>
*sniffs*
*tugs shirt collar*
>>
>>63209646
I know a few people straight out of college only making 35k (basically a teacher's salary). In fact my room mate is having a hard time finding a job as well.
>>
>>63209703
Shit, I made more unclogging drains.
>>
>>63209699
Are you from tumblr with your transracial bs? I am afraid no amount of white rice, drawing kanji, and choking down (pretending to like) sake is going to make you Japanese. Tired of people like you I used to think it was neat to be part Japanese until weebs fucking ruined it. Now I just tell people I am white to avoid autism battles.
>>
>>63209703
weird well I guess the market flooded since I switched out, glad I did then.
>>
>>63209698
>Without proper engineering experience you are never gonna make a new and better bridge. What would you have to learn to be an engineering 'designer' that's not engineering lmao

>he has never heard of Engineering Design.

Holy shit, why would you so blatantly lie on the internet? Designers have engineering experience but they don't focus on engineering, they design and the engineers do the maths.. essentially.

I've been in the field on the design side in a civil aspect. We hand drawings to designers who work with levels and do all the structural, but trust me they don't do ANY of the hard intellectual work, unless something doesn't evidently work.

I've watched an engineer make 100K just simply looking at a drawing for 2 seconds and putting his signature on it.

You have no idea what you are talking about, I come from a family of civil designers. And was one myself, but fuck sewers.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 500x334
>>63209505
Bresson
>>
>>63209744
>Now I just tell people I am white to avoid autism battles.
You usually don't have to tell people when you are face to face talking to them what colour your skin is, you know?

Go put your Japanese grandfather in a room with Autismo and see who he likes more.
>>
File: 1260729811576.jpg (5 KB, 251x182) Image search: [Google]
1260729811576.jpg
5 KB, 251x182
>>63209760
>engineering design is not engineering
This is why I said there are separate fields of the profession. Like anything there are grunts and there are true professionals.
>>
It's also good to read some stuff on cultural history. Most movies have a lot of religious and/or ancient greek philosophy related imaginary.
>>
>>63209760
>We hand drawings to designers
Engineers *
>>
>>63209781
I am 1/8th jap and 7/8s white most people do not know I am part Jap til I tell them and there are two reactions

>Normal People: Oh I kinda see it in your eyes

>Weebs: Do you speak japanese and like anime
Me: No
Weebs: You're not Japanese then I am more jap then you because I do.
>>
>>63209819
This is exactly my fucking point, and it's the designers who are the professionals.

It's pretty fucking easy to stake your reputation on the work of someone else when you know the quality of said persons work.

So yes, you have been lying, you're a neck beard and you have no idea how the field of engineering works except for maybe a semester you did in architectural engineering.

I won't even get started on the fact you focused on the architectural side.
>>
>>63209833
>You're not Japanese then I am more jap then you because I do.

This is literally fact though. Someone who likes the culture more is more of 'x' than someone who simply has it in their blood.

Poser.
>>
>>63209890
Back to tumblr with your transracial shit fag. Blood is all that matters that is how we categorize race you shit for brains.
>>
>>63209867
And you sound full of yourself. It's the same field and the same stuff fundamentally. There are just different levels. Either way you are still involved in the process known as 'engineering'.
>>
>>63209929
Race is a social construct, retard. All that matters is how much you accept the culture.
>>
>>63209942
>It's the same field and the same stuff fundamentally
Ha, you have never been in a room with an engineer and a designer then. have you?
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 180x258) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 180x258
>>63206312
Read this.
>>
>>63209947
>>
>>63210004
>anon has evolved into meme poster!
>>
great this thread descended into a weeb thread great work /tv/
>>
>>63209947
Whatever you say Rufus-kun I am sure when you move to Slant-eye land the Japs there will sure be impressed by your anime knowledge and accept you as their own by giving you one of their women to fuck while they applaud you.
>>
>>63209962
Yes with my great uncle who was both. There's certainly a separation but one can obviously start as one and end in the other field.
>>
>>63210056
>Whatever you say Rufus-kun I am sure when you move to Slant-eye land the Japs there will sure be impressed by your anime knowledge and accept you as their own by giving you one of their women to fuck while they applaud you.

Been to Japan, this literally happened. Except for the applauding part.

Go walk around Akihabara with a DxD shirt on, or some other moe/echhi series (maybe try Love Hina), you will get all sorts of weird japs wanting your dick.
>>
>>63209947
Yeah, we just made up blue eyes and blonde hair with our imaginations.

Culture and race arent the same thing.
>>
>>63210118
Forgot, just make sure to be tall and have blonde hair. Preferably on the long side.
>>
>>63210141
>all white people are the same because they are white

Culture is the only thing that matters. Idiot.
>>
>>63210166
You will never be Japanese dumbass no matter how many words you make up or redefine. You just as bad as wiggers. In fact weebs are the new wiggers
>>
>>63210206
I will always be more Japanese than you, poser. You even have Japanese blood but you refuse to embrace it. Baka.
>>
>>63209890
Your logic can be applied to incest you know.

"Oh she may be my sister by blood but I do not view her as such so it is alright to fuck her"
>>
>>63210258
>"Oh she may be my sister by blood but I do not view her as such so it is alright to fuck her"

So long as she consents, anon. Just don't cum in her.
>>
File: Capture.png (80 KB, 1574x601) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
80 KB, 1574x601
>>63209781
Why am I still doing this?
>>
>>63210246
Seriously did you take your medication today? This is why I stop associating with my Jap side because you idiots because Japs on a pedestal. Then perform mental gymnastics to convince yourself of something you are not. No you are not Japanese you have no ancestral ties to that land I do. Fuck off and stop trolling and being a retard.
>>
>>63210294
Because you like trying to convince anonymous people that your Japanese. Anon seriously just because you're a mongoloid does not mean you're a jap.
>>
>>63210297
>to that land I do.
Which you are completely ignoring, everyone has ties to that land. Everyone has ties to all land, anon. We are all of this earth. I am simply more Japanese than you as I partake in the culture which you refuse to.

Do you even practice Shinto? Faggot.
>>
>>63210329
I'm not even in that image; just viewing your "conversation".
>>
>>63210383
The more you post the more you look bad. You have no ties to Japan your ancestors never set foot there they had no part in that culture mine did. My ancestors fought in wars that helped shape the politics, they sired generations of children there, in fact I probably have some distant cousins still living there who are full blooded Jap. My great grandfather's name was Ishuke Ishikawa yours was probably Bill Smith or some shit. You are not Japanese just like a nigger who eats brats and speak German is not German. You are the poser idiot.
>>
>>63210481
Yeah but, you don't watch anime. And I do.
>>
>>63210494
So? You know anime is not entirely reflective of Japanese culture you fucking idiot. That is like saying "I watch Looney Tunes that must mean I am American" Do you think 40-80 year olds in Japan watch Anime too? Nope so you not even getting the whole culture by watching it. Nope you are getting Jap culture dumbed down for teens and idiot poser Americans like you.
>>
File: 3dip5eu.png (80 KB, 626x600) Image search: [Google]
3dip5eu.png
80 KB, 626x600
>>63209646
our country produces more engineers in a year than the US does in a decade.....Yet most of them are slaving their soul in the IT sector or unemployed ...A large portion among them are mediocre students to begin with,not even kidding
>>
>>63210494
Also I may not like anime but some of my favorite movies are "Sword of Doom" and "Throne of Blood" and I saw most of Kurosawa's movies. So check mate faggot keep watching your kiddy shit.
>>
>>63210557
But anime isn't aimed at Americans, I also read Manga, you don't. I am therefore, two times as Japanese as you are.

You can't argue with this logic, gaijin.

>"I watch Looney Tunes that must mean I am American"
If the two people conversing both had 0 participation in the American culture than the one who watched the looney tunes would be, in fact, more American than the other.
>>
File: Winrar.png (1 MB, 796x841) Image search: [Google]
Winrar.png
1 MB, 796x841
>>63210590
What does this look like to you? That's 2 Japanese things I OWN.

You don't understand the rules of chess if you think you have checkmate.

If they are your favourite movies you can add "pleb" to the list of things you are.

>baka gaijin
>pleb
>>
>>63210674
>Owns 2 Japanese things
>Doesn't posses the most important thing to make him Jap

And that is blood.

>>63210609
>I also read shitty Jap comics

How pathetic do you how to make yourself before you stop posting? Go steal someone else is culture I heard Islam is always recruiting then again they frown on homosexuality.
>>
>>63210754
>Go steal someone else is culture I heard Islam is always recruiting then again they frown on homosexuality.
I would but Allah is not allowed in my native land.

>And that is blood.
You neglect it though, it may as well not be there.

>How pathetic do you how to make yourself before you stop posting?
You are the one fervently defending you're own heritage which you yourself have said you don't care for.
>>
mostly its to do with feeling anon.

Do you ever cry when you're upset?
Do you laugh out loud easily?
Can you talk to women comfortably?
Do you feel safe in places with a lot of people?

Extroverts interpret movies quite easily because they can emphathise with multiple characters.

Introverts tend to be shy and not make friends easily, so a movie really has to resonate with them, eg the characters are a facsimile of themselves, and then they become obsessed with it.

Most tech minded people tend to be introverts, and most artistic and socially engaged people tend to be extroverts.

A lot of your personality just has to do with early childhood experiences, and how your parents reacted to certain situations. Imprinting in ages 1-3 is very strong, and stays with you for a lifetime. Nobody is born with a personality, you have inherited characteristics based on genetics and appropriated or learned behaviors based on your environment.
>>
>>63210851
Newfag.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 720x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 720x512
I hate to interrupt the soul sisters meeting, but have you considered buying a dream dictionary?
>>
>>63210926
He is right tho
>>
>>63210807
Not defending shit just telling you that you're not Jap no matter how small your dick is.
>>
>>63210952
>I am more Japanese than you
>not defending anything

You're not trying any more.
>>
>>63210947
He's s till a fucking newfag. If anything Jung is right, he is just spewwing nonsense.
>>
>>63209825
Which is why I mostly don't pick up on it.

I'm not religious at all.
>>
>>63209969
Does it have pictures?
>>
>>63210851
I guess I'm an introvert, but I'm not tech minded.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.