[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly was he good at, other than having a lot of plot armor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 13
File: Harry+potter-Harry_Potter_HP4_01.jpg (156 KB, 1149x1600) Image search: [Google]
Harry+potter-Harry_Potter_HP4_01.jpg
156 KB, 1149x1600
What exactly was he good at, other than having a lot of plot armor?
>>
>>63196563
Quidditch.
>>
Being a cu©k
>>
>>63196563
He was actually above average at combat magic stuff
>>
File: ranks.jpg (1 MB, 1602x2868) Image search: [Google]
ranks.jpg
1 MB, 1602x2868
Being in what was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects?all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>But at least the books are good though!! mad x.comfy.x xD yo
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
>>63196563
He was good at checking these dubs tbqh
>>
He was really good at being a whiny little chode.
>>
>>63196563
He was a good seeker, and decent dualist
>>
why don't you ask /lit/ or do they make you insecure for being poorly read?
>>
File: Riddler.jpg (22 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
Riddler.jpg
22 KB, 480x300
4th movie
>voldemort uses the killing curse, which is unblockable, but because of the matching cores, their wands link instead
8th movie
>voldemort uses the killing curse, which is unblockable, harry is using draco's wand, which has a completely different core, but their wands still link
>>
Nothing, it doesn't require you to think. Rowling's magic world has no place for the numinous. It is written for people whose imaginative lives are confined to TV cartoons, and the exaggerated (more exciting, not threatening) mirror-worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip.

Its values, and everything in it, are, as Gatsby said of his own world when the light had gone out of his dream, ''only personal.'' Nobody is trying to save or destroy anything beyond Harry Potter and his friends and family.
>>
>>63196563
>Pretty good at stealth stuff, even before he had an invisibility cloak and marauder's map, I think.
>Produced a "corporeal" patronus (animal, not just a wisp of smoke)at age 13, which supposedly, is not a common feat.
>Good seeker/good on a broom in general, as shown by him passing the flying key test at age 11.
>Quick thinker, which he uses to get out of situations where he seems outmatched.
>Good choice of friends, mainly in Hermione, who does a lot to fill in for the things he lacks as a student.
>Good intuition (usually) about what's going on with dark forces, Voldemort, etc.
>Unusual bravery (sometimes stupidly so) in the face of powerful dark magic and creatures
But other than that, yes, loads and loads of "sheer dumb luck"
>>
>>63197074
>Rowling's magic world has no place for the numinous
you say this like it's a meaningful statement, but numinous means "having a mysterious, holy, or spiritual quality" and why would that be a quality that matters here?
Then again this is just a copypasta anyway.
>>
>>63197049
Kek, never thought of this
>>
Being a self insert, very much so in the early books
>>
>>63197357
The only time I self insert with him is when he inserts himself into Ginny.
>>
>>63196780

/tnread
>>
>>63197049

Jesus fucking christ. Fuck you for reminding me

I found this to be way beyond retarded because in the book, it was actually a split second scene where voldemort just wasn't able to properly use the wand due to it actually belonging to harry

The director should be shot for making it look like priori incantatem
>>
>>63196822
Nice pasta.

Not falling for the b8 though.
>>
>>63196964
well OP? I know you'll sameshit this thread for hours
>>
File: 400[1].jpg (40 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
400[1].jpg
40 KB, 400x534
He was a good friend.
>>
File: 1448846608948.jpg (6 KB, 234x283) Image search: [Google]
1448846608948.jpg
6 KB, 234x283
>>63197444
He had some good trips
>>
>>63196563

Having a literal micropenis
>>
>>63196563

Last second saves
>>
>>63196822
>Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?

No, she vetoed Spielberg because he wanted to condense the first three books into one film
>>
>Ron at Hogwarts
>slept with Scabbers for 3 years

>Fred & George
>got the Marauder's map
>didn't notice their brother was sleeping with " PETER PETTIGREW " for three years
>>
>>63197049
This shit series has too many plot holes.
>>
>>63196563
The books, and even the films from what I can remember, make a big point about him being pretty shit at anything practical, and that his defining traits are more his extraordinary courage and selflessness. He'll walk into suicidal situations for the greater good, but end up getting a lot of outside help and luck and prevailing.

Also he's a fucking ace Seeker.
>>
>>63197501
They might give him a hard time m8, but you can't deny they were supportive of his life choices.
>>
File: 1432736416159.gif (2 MB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
1432736416159.gif
2 MB, 200x113
>>63197532
>>
>>63197049
Yeah the director and scriptwriters really fucked up there

The Elder Wand (which Voldemort was using) actually belonged to Harry, so it couldn't be used to kill Harry

Also the beam-struggle thing caused by the matching cores seemed to happen an awful lot between random death eaters and random good guys in the background
>>
>>63196563
>plot armor
BACK TO REDDIT
>>
>>63196563
Qudditch. Defensive/Offensive magic.
>>
>>63196822
terrible pasta, no one will take it seriously with that god-tier.
>>
It's for children and unintelligent girls
Why does it matter?
>>
>>63196964
>ask /lit/

Go visit /lit/ and tell me what % of threads are about even remotely populist books. Hell, what % of threads are even about books? It's pseudo-intellectual general.
>>
JK Rowling admtted Harry should have ended up with Hermione.

Agree ? Disagree ?
>>
>>63197532
>>63197501
The map wouldn't show specifically that they're sleeping in the same bed

Also I'm pretty sure he put "Scabbers" on the nightstand or something, since otherwise if he rolled over in his sleep he'd squish him

And Fred & George never thought it strange that Peter Pettigrew slept in the same room as Ron because they had no idea who he was and just assumed he was some kid in the same year

Of course none of this is explained in the movie, which is a major fuckup
>>
File: Dumbledore_article_story_large.jpg (143 KB, 1012x675) Image search: [Google]
Dumbledore_article_story_large.jpg
143 KB, 1012x675
>>63197444
>Harry, did I ever tell you about your father's invisibility cloak? it is a legendary artifact known to hide people from death. I took it from him when he was evading Voldemort. He was a good friend.
>>
>>63197644
Disagree

Harry and Hermione always seemed like brother and sister

There's no sexual tension between them anywhere in the books
>>
>>63197644
Disagree. He had the best chemistry with Luna.
>>
>>63197720
>it is a legendary artifact known to hide people from death

>It's a rare and powerful cloak, and I have suspicions it may be more than a normal invisibility cloak but I can't be certain just yet but I'm looking into it
>also James gave it to me while he was in hiding from Voldemort, I didn't ask for it, James gave it to me because he was already in a building protected by the fidelius charm so he saw no reason to keep it if he couldn't leave the house anyway
>>
>>63197699

>The map wouldn't show specifically that they're sleeping in the same bed
Okay
>Also I'm pretty sure he put "Scabbers" on the nightstand or something, since otherwise if he rolled over in his sleep he'd squish him
Dangerous but why not
>And Fred & George never thought it strange that Peter Pettigrew slept in the same room as Ron because they had no idea who he was
Okay
>and just assumed he was some kid in the same year
I'm just assuming but i'm pretty sure they would have noticed a Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor. They knew Seamus, Dean n' stuff, right ?
>>
>>63197777
Daniel Radcliffe banged every decent chick in those movies, from Luna to Hermione to Ginny to Tonks, and especially Fleur
>>
>>63197644
Disagree. What does Ron get then at the end of the series?

His best friends are the chosen one, and the most intelligent student ever. Ron on the other hand, is so poor that he basically missed a whole year of school because his muddy parents couldn't buy him a new wand. When the 7th book finishes, Harry has beaten Voldemort and gotten closure on his shitty life. Meanwhile, Ron's brother dies and his other is permanently maimed.

Rowling just hates gingers.
>>
>>63197781

>Did i tell you i got this wonderful wand from Grindelwald ?
>Oh, and last year, i found this fabulous gemstone in Slytherin's ring

Wait
>>
>>63197814
>They knew Seamus, Dean n' stuff, right?

Not really, not until Dumbledore's Army

In Harry's third year they only really knew Neville, and that was mostly because of his parents
>>
>>63196822
>Being in what was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects?all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
Agreed with this. They're dogshit and the third one is the only one that tried to be something more. Drones will tell you the first two are good, but its a tumblr meme by mongs trying to impress people on facebook.
>1
Despite clocking in at over two solid hours, the movie fails to properly set up and develop its characters and their back-stories, there is almost no build up and, even worse still, chemistry between the actors here. - 0/5
>2
Cramming in every "plot point" you can find in the book does not engaging storytelling make, and it's a wonder there ever was a third movie. - 0/5
>3
Splendid. An entirely enjoyable pop fantasy adventure that never for a moment insults the intelligence. By very very very very far the best of the Potter movies, the only one that manages to capture the funky mad energy of J.K. Rowling's hogwash. - 2/5
>4
Easy come, easy go. - 0/5
>5,6,7,8
Didn't see them
>>
>>63197644
harry/ginny was definitely forced. I don't think hermione would have been much better though
>>
File: avatar51094_14.png (36 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
36 KB, 150x150
you're almost 30 bud
when is your suicide?
>>
>>63197644
No she didn't, people twisted her words. The hero getting with the heroin would have been boring as fuck anyway, you just wanted to fuck Emma Watson through your self-insert.
>>
>>63197856
He was sure the other Hallows existed when he took Grindelwald's wand

He was pretty sure about the invisibility cloak, but couldn't be 100% sure it wasn't just a really well made one

He only found Slytherin's ring Harry's 6th fucking year

You implied that if he hadn't taken the invisibility cloak from James (which he didn't) he would have survived against Voldemort - even though he was confined to one building and a cloak that makes people invisible would be kinda useful in a war, so James donated it to the cause
>>
>>63197777
Honestly I agree, Ginny always felt more like his inner desire bang Ron or something.
Luna was something more, she was a friendless weirdo, just like he used to be, a setup with her would felt much more natural than the out of place Ginny romance
>>
>>63197868
They should have stayed books. The movies were just mindless cash grabs.

Despite Rowling's writing abilities, she succeeded in establishing a universe that had readers interested to know more. The whole plot about Voldemort could have easily been scrapped for something more light-hearted, but that allows the audience to see more of the magical world outside of Hogwarts. They could have gone to the French or Romanian schools for example and had a whole book on those alone. She really failed where Tolkien succeeded.
>>
>Read the books
>Ron is smart, just not academically inclined
>He's pretty much the best tactician of his generation
>Is able to introduce us to culture and customs of the wizarding world that Harry and Hermione don't know
>Overall a top notch friend despite the (very) occasional fight

>Ron in the movies
>Incompetent as fuck
>Never really does anything except hang around Harry
>All of the great stuff he does in the books just gets given to Hermione
>Doesn't even get to explain what "mudblood" means, instead Hermione randomly knows what it means and is super upset about it rather than just dumbfounded like she is in the books, this way people get to go AWW POOR HERMIONE I FEEL SO SAD FOR HER SHE SO BRAVE SHE A GOOD GIRL SHE DINDU NUFFIN

Fuck the movies, they're all written and directed by hacks
>>
>>63198082
What are your top 10 films of all time?
Who are your top 5 writers(not books) of all time?
>>
>>63198077
JK Rowling is the Bethesda of literature

Good at creating an interesting world and setting, but not much else
>>
>>63198135
Rowling is to Lucas is to Bethesda.
>>
>>63198135
It's fair enough, at least she's good at something.

Unfortunately she just didn't play into that strength. Even in the final two books where they're going all around the continent, setting up camp and shit, they never go anywhere interesting. Just a forest, a hill and then a house. For 500 pages.
>>
>>63198191
>at least she's good at something
What exactly is that "something"?
>>
>>63198118
I'm not going to bother to answer because no matter what I say, /tv/ will tell me I'm wrong. I'll either be plebby or pretentious, so fuck off.

What I will say is that film and literature don't need to be full of artistic merit to be enjoyable.

We need the "fun to watch" and "fun to read" stuff just as much as we need the "patrician" stuff.

We could use a lot less irredeemable shit though
>>
>>63197814
>>63197867
Considering how sociable those two were, and considering how that place was set up like a high school, I find it a little odd that a couple of teenagers who liked to play practical jokes on others and give others a hard time didn't ONCE find it odd that peter always seemed to be with ron when ron left the castle, and arrived at the castle, and considering how tight knit most of the houses were, they would have at one point gone snooping for a "peter".

I'd be willing to believe they would keep hush hush to avoid letting on that they have the marauders map, but even then, there is still some level of suspicion that can be acted upon by snooping
>>
>>63198226
Creating an interesting world m8.
>>
>>63198232
So instead of you just posting them you have essentially typed out that you are the former that pretends to be in the middle

Good job lad
>>
What was the point of Ron? Loyalty? I mean he abandons Harry twice in the series
>>
File: pleb.jpg (176 KB, 750x402) Image search: [Google]
pleb.jpg
176 KB, 750x402
>>63198284

An abundance of arbitrary trivia makes her good at something?
>>
>>63198402
Nah, more that there are teenage girls still roleplaying that their in Gryffindor to this day.
>>
>>63197074
>Nothing, it doesn't require you to think
i cant recall one movie/movie series that required me to think. are you mentally challenged?
>>
>>63198402
It's a fantasy world that captures the imagination. It's best when it's wacky and silly.
>>
>>63198378
I remember the time when they were camping and the magic necklace made him ANGRY and he left, when was the other time?
>>
>>63198623
When Harry gets picked for the Triwizard Tournament in 4 he gets all shitty and starts ignoring him
>>
>>63198704
oh yeah I remember that now, that was dumb as fuck

HEY GUYS I've got all the movies downloaded in Bluray, and am wanting to do a rewatch. Should I start with the first 2 (ive seen them both a billion times throughout my childhood) or just skip those and start from 3? I've seen 3 a ton as well but it's amazing, and the last 5 I've not seen very many times. I just feel like the first 2 are pretty weak, but don't really know if I'll be missing out on the EXPERIENCE if I skip them
>>
>>63197819
Rowling wanted to kill Ron multiple times, but kept sparing him and killed others instead.

The only characters she refused to kill were Arthur and Molly because they were the only good parents, and Hagrid because she wanted him to carry Harry out of the forest like he'd carried him out of Godric Hollow
>>
File: 1441137072441.jpg (26 KB, 480x502) Image search: [Google]
1441137072441.jpg
26 KB, 480x502
>autistic friendless weirdo Luna will NEVER (ever) be your gf
>>
>>63196563
Super strong mental, partly because of the Dursley.
Jack of all trades in every magic fields.

So, basically, a natural fighter who never lose hope, even in the darkest situation.

A shonen hero in all its glory.
>>
>Rowling brings in a deus ex machina ass pull in the last book because she forgot to make Harry someone who could actually defeat Voldemort

Literally all he did was get lucky a billion times
>>
>>63199281
I think she's said Arthur was originally going to die when the snake attacked him but she didn't have the heart to go through with it.
>>
>>63199726
Luna is the truly enlightened being. She sees the inherent magic in existence itself and finds little need to interact with what is external to her and relation to magic. She's probably a being of an esoteric circle of one, a magi continually experiencing existential orgasms as she derives her own purpose. Why bother trying to rely on the wants and needs of others?
>>
>>63201901
I want her to be my gf
>>
>>63196563
Now mind you, I haven't read the books or watched the movies in years, but Harry has always been merely only above-average at most things, aside from Quidditch iirc. He's never excelled at anything. He's a bit brighter than most, a bit harder-working, he's good at certain things when he puts his mind to it, like the Expecto Patronum spell, but he's never really been an ace at anything. That's like almost the whole point to his character. He's really not THAT exceptional save for his extraordinary background as the sole survivor of the incident that killed his parents, that also killed Voldemort's physical form for a time. That's why he's notable. He's special in that sense, but otherwise, not really. It's how so many people were able to give him so much disrespect at some points in the story. Yeah he was well-known b/c of that, but otherwise, he seemed rather average.

Also he's really courageous, forgot about that one. And I guess kinda good at rallying people for a good cause at some points?
>>
>>63202648
Oh fuck you know what, I actually forgot that he was actually kinda at least an above average wizard. Maybe not outright a prodigy like Hermione but capable of some inherent talent at some things.

Shit, I should read the books again and watch the movies.
>>
tapin DAT ASS

(i mean rons)
>>
>>63196780
broom babby
>>
File: daniel-radcliffe.png (191 KB, 300x611) Image search: [Google]
daniel-radcliffe.png
191 KB, 300x611
>>63196563
>>63197777
D R O P P E D
>>
>>63197777
Exactly. I don't know where the fuck the LunaxNeville ship came from and sucked Yates made it a thing in the movie.

Ginny was incredibly forced and shitty. Harry and Lunda had great chemistry in the book. They would have made a far more organic couple.
>>
>>63196563
skilled/powerful and central to the plot are two different things
>>
File: 53584135_p0.gif (7 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
53584135_p0.gif
7 KB, 320x240
desu mates I love the first movie because it's just kids finding out they're magical and learning all this cool stuff.

the manchild in me finds joy seeing this. 2nd and 3rd movies were pretty decent and I didn't really enjoy the rest. the last 2 being the worst.
>>
>>63196563
Bravery and heart... Or something
>>
>>63197049
priori incantatem only occurred in the 4th movie

just because two curses collide into each other doesn't mean the wands are linked
>>
>>63203871
Lol
>>
>>63204378
polite sage because non-related but wow it's pretty surprising to see my shitty art on /tv/ of all places.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.