[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Man in the High Castle What are your thoughts on it? Personally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: file.png (196 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
file.png
196 KB, 480x360
The Man in the High Castle

What are your thoughts on it?

Personally I found it to be very good, with the story keeping me hooked and interested in what happens next. Some of the story arcs are quite weak (the trade minister). But overall is very good. I find each of the characters to be very relatable in different ways.

One criticism I would have is that it paints Hitler and half of the Nazi higher ups as good guys. Hitler does literally nothing wrong during the whole series and it'd be hard not to root for him before the end. The same goes for Obergruppenführer John Smith. A man who is unquestionably Nazi and devotes himself fully to the cause, and yet it is extremely hard not to back him. This I find strange, not that I have anything against backing the Nazi's personally, it is just strange to see on mainstream television, instead of portraying them as an absolute evil that has absolutely no good to it at all.

What are your thoughts?
>>
I liked it, but I didn't like the final episode that much. What the fuck was with that ending?
>>
>>63194614

It's obvious that alternate universes exist within the stories canon, that's where the films are coming from, somebody/something is leaking them from one Universe to the other.

Also it's pretty obvious who the "man in the high castle" is when watching the final episode.
>>
>>63194119
>A man who is unquestionably Nazi and devotes himself fully to the cause, and yet it is extremely hard not to back him.

yeah, its almost like the Nazi's were real people instead of one dimensional comic book villains.
>>
>>63194758

No this is what I am saying. Maybe I am not making myself clear, sorry english is not my main language.

I was saying I liked how they didn't do the whole "hurr nazis are super duper evil" thing. However I think they made them seem /too/ reasonable. Like, I was wondering why anybody on the east coast would rebel. Quality of life seemed very good.
>>
>>63194119
>One criticism I would have is that it paints Hitler and half of the Nazi higher ups as good guys.
Most were either trying to start a war with Japan where millions would die and Hitler wasn't interested in it. Hitler's more of a background character, it's really centered on John Smith and his choices.
>>63194829
>"hurr nazis are super duper evil" thing
Most of the wartime atrocities happened off screen. They mentioned a 'camp' like the one they said the jewish bookkeeper had escaped from to the neutral zone. The marshall was also a crazy fuck and a nazi.
>Quality of life seemed very good.
For most, but even John Smith has to contend with possibly euthanizing his son because of his incurable disease. Anyone with a handicap is most likely put to death in the reich.
Also the resistance is still loyal to america but they literally do nothing except get the films.
>>
Just finished the final episode. The whole alternate universes thing was really predictable however I don't understand how they can move between universes.

Also in the first episode, or maybe it was the second, there was a soldier who fought for the allies that said something along the lines of "I don't remember why we fought in the war" so I was thinking there was some kind of mind altering weapon that was used or something along those lines
>>
The Heisenberg device mentioned is obviously how the parallel universe can be observed.
>>
>>63196009

no it's a meth maker XD
>>
>>63194829
>Quality of life seemed very good.
Seemed very good in this tv show? Yeah it would be good, if you were white.
>>
>>63194829
John Smith believes the camps were necessary during the war.
How exactly does that make him a good nazi?
>>
Just found out there's no sequel to this book. That's really dissapointing would love to see the show go on.

Not really sure what story line you could follow though, maybe some kind of leaks between the alternate worlds?
>>
>the show doesn't demonise Nazis

I find it kinda refreshing. It's fucking absurd to keep portraying them as devils in 2015, 70 years after the war.
>>
>>63195845

Nah there'll be a season 2. Don't worry.
>>
>>63196121

Yeah and rather than a dystopia, the standard of living actually rose, check out them supersonic airliners!
>>
>>63196415

Yea I was thinking that. Fuckers have got concords in the 1960's.
>>
What happened to Tagomi in the last scene? Did he actually cross into an alternate 1962?
>>
>>63196534

Yea, It was heavily implied that that Japanese magic had actual weight to it in this universe (the woman saying the broach came from someone with much sorrow etc...). I think it was Tagomi entering a meditative state that let him see into the alternate universe.
>>
>>63194758

I noticed that too.

There were basically 4 types of Nazis.
>those that spoke out/refused (they're dead)
>those that can't live with themselves
>those that did what they did knowing it was fucked up, but loyalty let them do it and loyalty gets them through the day
>the sick fucks that enjoyed what they did
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.