[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did he actually have memory loss or was it just a coping mechanism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: memento.jpg (138 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
memento.jpg
138 KB, 1280x720
Did he actually have memory loss or was it just a coping mechanism?
>>
>>63166213
DUUDE I FORGET STUFF LMAO
>>
He had organic retrograde amnesia. He could not form any new memories, even if they were LITERALLY Reddit!
>>
Both. Like it always is.
>>
>>63166213
Both, he had no short term memory, but he could have constantly reminded himself that he already found the guy. He just knew he'd have no purpose if he did that, so he coped by choosing to not keep those records, tattoos, or notes. He felt more complete with the purpose of seeking revenge in a constant cycle.
>>
>>63167672
But what about Sammy Jankis, I know he turned out to be just a con man but the version he told was actually his own story. Did he form that memory through conditioning or...?
>>
>>63168307

That was probably before the amnesia started. What happened was he knows the story but can't piece it back to himself so he created Sammy to tell himself that it wasn't him in the story. i.e. his tattoos are all lies
>>
>>63166213
"Coping mechanism" is a meme invented by Tumblr to justify doing whatever retarded shit they want and not improving anything about themselves in any way whatsoever.
>>
>>63168462
Well obviously Sammy was from before the accident but the story he inserts Sammy into is his own, where his wife tests him by winding back the clock and telling him its time for her insulin.
>>
>>63168792
He mixes the story of Sammy and himself together. The outcome of what happened with Sammy is debatable, just like the ending of Inception. It leaves it out in the open.
>>
>>63169088
I must be missing something here, but did he not develop his condition BEFORE he unknowingly killed his wife with those shots? He believes his wife was killed during the house robbery and yet he subconsciously incorporated events from after the accident into an event from before.
>>
>>63169289
He developed his condition after he got hit in the end. He only empathized with the man he treated afterward, Sam Jankis. He denied Sam Jankis and considered him a fraud, until he became Sam Jankis.
>>
>>63169669
He didn't actually become Sam Jenkis but he experienced what his patient was going through in his own way after getting brain damage.
>>
>>63169669
Yes I know but at the end of the movie you can see him lying in bed with his wife with "I DID IT" tattooed on his left breast. The point I'm making is that he had short term memory loss at that point, did he not? He believes Sammy's wife had died the way his had, which would mean he had somehow retained that memory of his wife dying even though he shouldn't have been able to? Plus he somehow erased it from his mind that his wife was a diabetic and fabricated an entirely new memory that never happened.

I'm so jumbled up at this point, but you get what I mean, right?
>>
>>63169761
This. He wasn't actually Sammy Jankis but he was put in the awkward position of feeling what Sammy was going through after refusing to believe Sammy in the first place.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.