[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this shit supposed to be funny? Seems like the British version
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: HolyGrail034.jpg (50 KB, 800x441) Image search: [Google]
HolyGrail034.jpg
50 KB, 800x441
Is this shit supposed to be funny? Seems like the British version of LOL SO RANDUM. There's absolutely no wit about any of the jokes that brits love to boast about. It's just fucking awful and as bad as FR3D
>>
whatever man youre super patrician. is that what you want to hear? its enjoyable and funny with plenty of clever and funny bits. every joke in the movie doesnt need to be clever for the movie to still be clever
>>
First off, it was made in the 1970s, when non sequitur humor was fresh and new instead of worn out by 13 year olds.

Secondly, even watching it in the time of LOLRANDUM, there's actual wit in those non-sequiturs, in terms of historical parody and style.
>>
>>63150665
>>63150728
well OP? you tremendous faggot? two good points have been made or were you just looking to shitpost and troll like the adult you surely are?
>>
>british comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW20AQJ6Iig
>>
>>63150822
>points
>only thing really said was that it's actually funny and enjoyable
>it was first and innovative contextually so it's okay

lol okay
>>
>>63150728
>in terms of historical parody and style.
Eh wouldn't treat Holy Grail as being "historical"
Life of Brian on the other hand was pretty accurate in how it portrayed early first century Judea as being in the grips of Messianic and religious frezny
>>
>>63150591
You've made this thread before.
>>
>>63150591
I like to think of it as the world's oldest youtube comedy video.
>>
>>63151061
I haven't actually. guess some people are of the same opinion
>>
The person responsible for starting this thread has since been sacked.
>>
>>63150591
>Is this shit supposed to be funny? Seems like the British version of LOL SO RANDUM. There's absolutely no wit about any of the jokes that brits love to boast about. It's just fucking awful and as bad as FR3D
So basically /tv/?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoM7V54T-c why's he so based bros?
>>
>>63151019
I was more thinking historical in terms of historical myth, as there are a lot of pretty clever digs at the Arthurian archetype riddled throughout. It was also one of the first pieces of popular media to show the middle ages as a shit-covered wasteland - which is itself the product of Renaissance-era myth, but which is also honestly pretty funny, so I can give it a pass

Life of Brian is definitely superior both as current satire and historical parody but both are pretty great
>>
>>63151194
>It was also one of the first pieces of popular media to show the middle ages as a shit-covered wasteland
Depends on what you mean by popular, but The Seventh Seal and Andrei Rublev predate Holy Grail
>>
>>63151258

Well he did say one of the first, and those two examples can hardly be considered mainstream, at least in the aspect of shaping the public's image of the middle ages.
>>
>>63151186
Always one of my favourite parts.

Plus

>she's got huge... tracts of land.
>>
Two facts:
1) Anyone who finds it funny sucks
2) Anyone who doesn't find it funny sucks

polite sage
>>
>>63151258
>>63151320

Pretty much already said what I was gonna say, but yeah. I don't doubt that the Pythons were aware of both films as well as those old Renaissance archetypes and applied them in a way that made them more broadly palatable and funny.
>>
>>63151061
I made a similar thread a year or two ago, I got some pretty well thought-out replies. I particularly remember one about how it isn't just "lol random spork" and there's genuine wit behind the wackiness, like >>63150728 said.

Since then I've watched more Monty Python and it's hilarious.
>>
>>63150591
>retarded millennials: the legend of OP - I was retarded and underage and said some stupid shit on 4chan
>>
>>63150591
don't worry I'm British and I fucking hate it

I simply do not understand the hype for this film, and why even normies love it. Same goes for shaun of the dead
>>
File: mfw.jpg (1 MB, 2649x3372) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
1 MB, 2649x3372
I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION LOOOOOL

>mfw that expertly crafted joke
>>
File: dubs22.jpg (106 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dubs22.jpg
106 KB, 640x480
>>63151777
>>63151877

why can't I hold all these 7s?
>>
File: is.png (238 KB, 608x614) Image search: [Google]
is.png
238 KB, 608x614
>>
>>63152001
>Americans trying to be quirky and English
>spell "all right" as "alright"

Triggered.
>>
It was funny when I saw it for the first time as a preteen.

At this point, I really only enjoy it out of nostalgia.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.