[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are there so many crime movies set in Boston? I'm not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: boston-skyline1.jpg (53 KB, 500x289) Image search: [Google]
boston-skyline1.jpg
53 KB, 500x289
why are there so many crime movies set in Boston?

I'm not an Amerifag so was amazed at how small a place it actually is. I had this vague idea it was this massive city beside New York so would warrant a slew of crime movies ... but its population is barely 600k (barely even a city)

Its also one of the safest cities in the US.

you don't see tonnes of gangster movies coming from .. idk .. Milwaukee, or Houston .. despite both being far larger and more crime-ridden than Boston
>>
>>63128232
New Englander here.

>One of America's first major cities
>Major airport
>Huge train station
>People all over New England commute to their jobs in the city
>Major harbor city
>Most residents there are upper class but shitty
>Home to many financially powerful companies
>Harvard and MIT just across the bay
>>
>>63129104
Actually from Boston here.

There's so many movies set in Boston because there's some awful sense of misplaced city pride there. Everyone loves the town that live there even though it's objectively the worst major city in the Country, besides maybe nigtroit obviously.

Think before you post next time, you fucking retard.
>>
>>63128232
There aren't nearly as many movies set in Boston as there are set in new York, but Massachusetts and the surrounding area has been home to literally nothing but Irish gang families and bank robbers since the 60s. Lot of interesting stories that don't really get made in to.movies often because up until recently the state of mass would tax movie makers up the ass for filming here. That's why movies like boondock saints have like 3 shots actually shot in Boston, and the rest in Toronto or some shit.

That tax was lifted and since then there have been quite a resurgence of films set here. The town and black mass are two noteworthy ones.
>>
tax breaks for filming.
>>
>There's so many movies set in Boston because there's some awful sense of misplaced city pride there.
I've definitely seen that. It's nice to look at and visit, but when Massholes come to Maine every summer, they're usually so shitty. Also, BOSTON STRONG is the most annoying meme ever.

>Everyone loves the town that live there even though it's objectively the worst major city in the Country
How so?

>nigtroit
>Think before you post next time, you fucking retard.
Oh, you're just a lonely, insecure person. Nevermind.
>>
Everyone's sick of New York.
Boston is the next closest city in resemblance to New York... in spirit.
>>
not saying Boston is big, but only ever look at metro populations when looking at american city size. Boston has 4.5 million people. Its the 10th largest American city so it still has a very disproportionately large amount of media coming out of it
>>
>>63129104
>>Major airport
>>Huge train station
Yeah, I don't think thats it
>>
It's the only place on the east coast where scummy mafia caricature guys who are up to no good seem to exist in this day and age.
>>
>>63129283
>BOSTON STRONG is the most annoying meme ever
I work in a retail store in Quincy MA.
2 DAYS after the marathon bombing, they shipped us tshirts huddies caps with this shit. $9.99
I facepalmed.
>>
White guilt.

In pretty much every other city all the bad guys are black which is problematic to portray because it makes you a racist according to liberals. Boston is the only major city where a large portion of the terrible poor people and criminals are white
>>
Lots of screenwriters went to Harvard.
>>
Boston has a lot of soul. It's not quite comparable to NYC, LA, or Chicago in scale and economic significance, but it's been the setting of a lot of important historical shit. It's also populated largely by blue collar Irish and German tradesmen who embody the ideal hard-working, manly American breadwinner.
>>
>>63129283
>Also, BOSTON STRONG is the most annoying meme ever.

My girlfriend worked at the unos on Boylston when the blasts went off, and even SHE was sick of it a week after it started. We still get tourists who will plainly ask "so how do you get to where the bombs went off?" Like its a tourist hotspot now. Most people who sell the Boston strong merch also don't donate the proceeds to charity lime they're supposed to either since everyone fucking makes them now.
>>
>>63129384
>>63130303
I personally feel bad for the first guy to cross the finish line.

I'm betting the guy was so happy, he was about to explode.

And then he did.
>>
>>63129837
Correction: it HAD a lot of soul. More than half those Irish families are dead or in jail and moved to fucking Florida after getting wealthy selling pills and crack.

It's literally like the next San Francisco at this point. It lives off of everything it used to be. Barely anyone who lives here now moved here in the last 5 years, and most of them don't stick around because they can't afford it past college and move back with their yuppie families from western mass or some other rural states where weed and being white trash is all there is to entertain them
>>
>>63130418
Pretty sure the first guy to cross the finish line didn't get hurt. It was a little after the first finisher.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 444x296) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 444x296
>I'M A SAILOR PEG starts playing
>>
>>63130586
>anything drop kick murphys starts playing
>sweet Caroline starts playing
>dirty water by the standells starts playing
>>
>>63129185
>even though it's objectively the worst major city in the Country

It's up there but Detroit and New Orleans are worse.
>>
>>63129205
black mass is not noteworthy
>>
>>63129185
ever heard of Baltimore, f a m?
>>
>>63131029
after watching the wire, baltimore grew up on me smhead tbhonest familia
>>
>>63130698
pretty much every city in the south is worse
>>
boston guy here

I have no idea why. I guess its a cool looking city....it doesn't have a particularly high crime rate (for a major city)

I think its just because people want to do a crime movie but are sick of doing it in new york
>>
>>63129185
>worst major city

I bet you're a faggot.
>>
half of the crime movies set in boston are basically about whitey bulger

there was like one criminal in boston and he is 90 years old and in prison
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.