[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ITT: Movies breaking the usual tropes I dare you to summerize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: E3DObe3tA5I.movieposter.jpg (21 KB, 279x402) Image search: [Google]
E3DObe3tA5I.movieposter.jpg
21 KB, 279x402
>ITT: Movies breaking the usual tropes

I dare you to summerize all the subjects talked about in this movie.
>>
who gives a fuck
>>
basically every coen movie ever
>>
>>63127052
>I dare you to summerize all the subjects talked about in this movie.
Life is absurd, shit happens, rabbis are morons, accept the mystery.
>>
>>63127052
That being a Beta is not like in the movies, in real life you are really a beta and your kids will probably be one too unless you grow a pair and fuck your MILF neighboor.
>>
>>63127052
What did the tornado mean? Did the kid die? Wtf happened?
>>
>>63127141
There's more to it. Life isn't absurd, life is just not a frigging movie, not everything has consequences (unlike what the main character says) yet sometimes it has, rabbis aren't morons because they're all giving him the same good advice, he's just not capable of accepting it. The son's journey is even worse, sometimes life is unfair by giving you too many handouts, making you lose sight of things.

>>63127179
>in real life you are really a beta and your kids will probably be one too unless you grow a pair and fuck your MILF neighboor.
Hell no, that's not real life. "growing a pair" is meaningless because people see what you do, not what you mean to do and unless you bring your son with you, I'm not sure what it's gonna change.
>>
>>63127206
>Did the kid die?
No. He only realise he's a self-centered prick with meaningless obsessions.
>>
>>63127276
Makes sense. He's like me in some ways, he even smokes weed.
>>
>>63127141
Nothing absurd happens in the movie. Some events only seem absurd because the main character keep trying to link them together to find some deep meaning behind it. That's the same line of thinking who killed the rabbi at the beginning of the movie: some completly regular events happen but because they all happen around the same person and because people want to see meaning in everything, confusion happens and people freaks out.

The main character will never be free of this. He's got cancer at the end and will automaticaly thinks it's because he changed that korean's guy grade. The two events have nothing to do with eachoters, he tooks the scans weeks ago but because he believes in God and meaning in life, he will be miserable thinking it was his fault.

The rabbis were all right (but a bit unreligious) by all telling him to FORGET ABOUT IT.
>>
>>63127565
>confusing the absurd for silly
>>
>>63127596
>>confusing the absurd for silly
I'm not ?
>>
>>63127565
Having a korean on your front lawn talking about "curtule crash" while you're moving out of your house because your wife wants a divorce isn't absurd how?
>>
>>63127565
This guy gets it
>>
>>63127914
Having a korean talking about cultural crash isn't absurd, he's korean and doesn't understand why you wouldn't immediatly recognize (and accept) a bribe isn't absurd.

Having to move out of your house because your wife wants a divorce isn't absurd, it happens every day.

Both happening at the same time doesn't hold any special meaning nor denote some broken law in the rules of the universe.
>>
>>63127765
But you clearly are >>63128066
Absurd doesn't refer to weird scenarios, it refers to the meaninglessness of them, or how they are meaningless to humans. Seen in full, all the circumstances are absurd to Larry because he wants them to have meaning, but they don't.

> In this context absurd does not mean "logically impossible", but rather "humanly impossible".[1] The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Absurd, but rather, the Absurd arises by the contradictory nature of the two existing simultaneously.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism
>>
The most encapsulating line for me:
>Larry: If He doesn't answer, then why does He make us question?
>The Rabbi: I don't know. Hachem hasn't told me yet.

also Schrodinger's Cat just repeated over and over for two hours.
GOAT Coen film
>>
>>63128277
But that's it. They're not humanly impossible. They are actually trivial and pretty common. But Larry is too obsessed with meaning to realise they are common occurences.
>>
>>63128066
>It would only be a culture crash if it were the custom in your country to bribe for grades
>DEFAMASHUN!

There is nothing unabsurd about that scene. Then you add in the jewhating neighbor who is suddenly on the jew's side because there's a gook nearby, and really, how autistic do you have to be to even try to argue that scene as completely normal?
>>
>>63128300
To me the most encapsulating line is:
> Who cares ?
>>
>>63128346
koreans act like koreans
racist acts like racist
unfaithful wife act like wife

Everything's normal.
>>
>>63128345
So, its a common occurance for you to be moving out of your house, that you paid for, as the sole income earning member of your family, because your wife wants to shtup another man, who's twice your age, with a gooks on your lawn talking about curtule clashes and threatening lawsuits for defamation/accepting-bribes while your racist neighbor is suddenly on your side because he hates gooks more than jews?

What world do you live in?
>>
>>63128465
That's the real world. Those things happen. Them happening at the same time doesn't change that fact and doesn't destroy logic.
>>
>>63128345
That's called the Absurd, son.
>>
>>63127565
>unreligious
>implying that's not the entire point of the jewish god, you never know what the fuck he wants or does
>>
>Synechdoche, new york

what the fuck was going on in that movie? there's a lot of things going on and some pretty confusing shit
>>
>>63128548
No that's not. The absurd is when something goes outside of regular expectations. Say you take a gun and shoot a man then suddenly je starts singing "Never gonna give you up", that's absurd.

But nothing absurd happens in the movie. Everyone reacts as they're supposed to react. Only regular events are enough, because of bad timing, to put Larry into a deep confusion, pushing him to find meaning in everything.
>>
>>63128724
>The absurd is when something goes outside of regular expectations.
Jesus Christ, did you even read this post >>63128277?
>In this context absurd does not mean "logically impossible", but rather "humanly impossible".[1] The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Absurd, but rather, the Absurd arises by the contradictory nature of the two existing simultaneously.
>>
>>63128523
In order for you to deem that scene as not-absurd, you'd have to have it happen to you, in it's entirety, regularly.
>>
>>63128768
Don't add up definitions when there's no need too. Many things happening rarely are not absurd.
>>
File: BravoCoen.jpg (43 KB, 427x619) Image search: [Google]
BravoCoen.jpg
43 KB, 427x619
>>63127052
>>
I can't "summerize" because it isn't a word.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.