[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Arnold know it was reality?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: total recall.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1035) Image search: [Google]
total recall.jpg
291 KB, 1920x1035
How did Arnold know it was reality?
>>
the guy was sweating because he was nervous because he was lying
>>
It wasn't reality. His girlfriend would never have taken him back.
>>
>>63113810
Wouldn't the situation just make him nervous anyway? I mean he has a gun pointed to his head by a person who might be a lunatic.
>>
>>63113791
fuck me thats good picture quality.
probably the best i have ever seen.

why does modern cameras make things look flat?
>>
>>63113791
It wasn't reality though. Notice how the film cuts to white at the end.
>>
>>63113855
Because the Chinese market dgaf about picture quality
>>
>>63113829

He claimed it didn't matter if he got shot, he'd just wake up.
>>
>>63113916
Oh right

Welp time to watch Total Recall again
>>
>>63113791
He didn't ( ._.)
>>
>>63113791
Who's to say his paranoid state of mind didn't create the image of that bead of sweat as a means of rejecting a return to an unsatisfying and mundane reality?
>>
>>63113791
He didn't, it's not ever made clear if sweating is a giveaway, he just thought it was. In an earlier scene with Sharon Stone, she's all sweaty from her workout.
>>
Friendly reminder that Arnold's character is the same as Tom Cruise in Minority Report.
>>
>>63113984
That makes absolutely zero sense.
>>
>>63113964
>you'll never suck the sweat out of prime Stone belly button
>>
>>63113997
why live?
>>
File: Total Recall-Sharon Stone-Lori.jpg (177 KB, 1600x867) Image search: [Google]
Total Recall-Sharon Stone-Lori.jpg
177 KB, 1600x867
>>63113997
>imagine being Arnold
>>
>>63114071
>not spending all of your time in the simulation fucking Sharon Stone

forget about Mars
>>
>>63114149
Its all about Venus.
>>
>>63113994
Just because it doesn't makes sense it doesn't mean it isn't true.
>>
GEHT YOR ASS TO MARS
>>
>>63113994
Minority Report was written as a sequel to Total Recall and was due to star Arnie in the main role because it's the same character.
>>
>>63114489
>not "MAHS"

ya blew it
>>
File: arnie.gif (3 MB, 448x242) Image search: [Google]
arnie.gif
3 MB, 448x242
>>63114503
anon please
>>
File: Sharon Stone 010.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
Sharon Stone 010.jpg
291 KB, 1920x1040
Fuck sake Douglas you had a fucking fine thing.
>>
>>63114494
Phillip, please go.
>>
>>63114527
She looks animu af tbqh famiglio
>>
>>63114559
No.
>>
>>63113855
because modern filmmakers cant into proper f stop
>>
>>63114071

You don't even have to imagine it, Total Recall has a top tier audio commentary with Arnold and Verhoven.

They pretty much laugh it up about how hot Stone is a bunch of times.
>>
>>63115201

>wait wait watch this path watch this path, I keel this guy
>haha I keeled him

Total Recall's commentary on its own should win awards
>>
There's a lot of clues that it's reality, but as much that it's not.

If I recall correctly, the name he uses at the hotel on mars is from a character in a movie about a fake mars landing, for example.

I don't think there's an answer to the real or not question.
>>
>>63113791
Theres proof it was all fake.
>>
>>63115287
I sort of miss how movies did not feed you everything with a spoon and left a lot of room for ambiguity.
>>
Why don't they make sci-fi as good as this nowadays? The remake was terrible.
>>
>>63115321
Richard Kelly films still do that (did).

And same with Cronenbergs and Gilliams classics.
>>
>>63115321
total recall is only one of a very small handful of movies that did that. It wasn't a common trend, just the only movies people are still talking about from the period are movies that have multiple valid interpretations.
>>
>>63115379
Because when they do, they bomb. Not YA and CGI enough for the new generation.

I think the real reason why we don't get movies with some depth (even a schlocky action movie like TR had depth) is because people watch movies on the go, on their phone, while doing something else on their computer,etc. The new movies are mostly geared toward people with no attention span.
>>
>>63115379
Because Hollywood is completely run by bean counters.

It used to be that if you had a decent script, and you got a bit lucky, some kikes would give you a few million bucks to play around with.

Now, in a world where the advertising budget is about 10 times higher than the cost of the movie, and everything has to be bought through jew owned companies where it's drastically overpriced instead of your local hardware store, production costs are at an all time high despite the actual cost of filming being lower than ever with digital film.

When lots of money is involved, bean counters get scared. Losing a million or two on an old man's pick isn't too bad for a studio. Losing 10 to 20 million, and then 100 million in ads? That's unforgivable.

So they nitpick EVERYTHING. Focus groups for outfits, set designs, making sure your script hits all the "save the cat" bulletpoints, making sure it's obvious who to root for, post-production where they make everything look blue. It costs them MILLIONS to do this, and completely removes any individuality from the finished product, but they're too terrified of a dud to trust artistic vision.
>>
>>63115456
>>63115563

I know it gets shit on but Fury Road felt very in tune with that way of filmmaking, there's barely any exposition about the world in the movie itself and you have to look outside of it in design books and commentary, but even then you can see there's a lot of world building.

Look at Immortan Joe, someone with half a brain will focus on how he's a slave owner and a rapist but look atsheer industry going on around him, he's got a working society with a green house and fresh water in the middle of goddamn nowhere.
>>
>>63115621
Fury Road is dogshit.

It's literally not even as good as Waterworld.
>>
>>63115693

O-okay.
>>
>>63115693
Waterworld isn't bad tho
>>
>>63115287
Also the memory implant he got was called 'Blue Sky on Mars'
>>
>>63115321

i learned my lesson on this, story:
I was obsessed with finding out the true meaning of ambivalent movies. And being Dutch I had the advantage of speaking to Verhoeven directly during a book tour about the person jesus christ. He told me, when I went up to him afterwards, he deliberately put in evidence for both interpretations and it's up to you as a viewer to choose. Then he told me it will be remade in the near future. Three years later the Colin Farell thing happened. Thinking back it wasn't my finest moment not discussing the book but he didn't seem to be bothered. Anyway, for myself I choose it's all a simulation though because of the scientist-extra in the begin who mutters the throw-away line: "blue skies on mars, that's a new one hah" And the fading to white represents brain damage.
>>
>>63115693
Waterworld is a gem, man. Its literally 8/10
>>
>>63115917
The way I see it, there's three outcomes
- It was all real (this is Arnold's favorite theory)
- It was all a fantasy, something went wrong, and he's been lobotomized
- It was all a fantasy, and this was exactly how the script of the adventure went
>>
New Total Recall > Old Total Recall
>>
>>63116049
it takes itself way too seriously
>>
>>63116001
i used to go for 1 then as i got older i now lean towards 3. never felt the lobotomised shit was more than a scare tactic
>>63116049
no, but i really like some of the visuals in the first 40 minutes of the film. reminded me of blade runner a little
>>
>>63113855

it has nothing to do with the camera it's more the lighting
>>
>>63116001
>- It was all a fantasy, and this was exactly how the script of the adventure went

That's my personal interpretation. The guy chose a spy package. He got what he asked for: twists and turns, fake identities, treason, etc.
>>
>>63116049
Old TR>Total Recall 2070>New TR

New TR isn't bad. I really liked it. It's just wasn't as good.
>>
>>63116118
>>63116142

The story makes more sense.

The original's "hey guys remember how there's an ancient alien machine on Mars to make ta breathable atmosphere that was never even alluded to and barely makes sense in the context of this whole espionage plot" ending is absolute hack.

It's a better scifi movie. It may be a less enjoyable experience but it is a better film.
>>
File: Huh.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Huh.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>63113960
>>
>>63116230
It makes perfect sense if it was all a fantasy
>>
>>63116230
You need to rewatch the movie. They mention the discoveries on Mars and the possibility of a conspiracy before Quaid even goes to Recall.
>>
File: total-recall-2012-2.jpg (292 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
total-recall-2012-2.jpg
292 KB, 1440x900
>>63116142
>>
>>63116049

I like the new Total Recall but it just suffers from automatically being compared to the old one.

It's not even really going for the same thing.
>>
>>63116272

nigga his wife was fake, we have no idea when recall started
>>
>>63113994
intimate reminder that Tom Cruise's character in Minority Report is the same as Peter Pan in Hook
>>
But it wasn't real.
The movie fades out to white.
He got a lobotomy.
>>
>>63114071
Damn, Sharon Stone still looks like THAT?
>>
>>63116537

Please don't try, you'll only fail
>>
>>63113855
Most modern films don't go on for the super cheesy CU face shots anymore
>>
>>63113810
or thats what Arnie's subconcious want him to believe
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.