[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come all the recent sci fi flicks written by women are all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: the5th.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
the5th.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
How come all the recent sci fi flicks written by women are all the same?
>>
>>63113703
Because Hunger Games made the genre succesfull.
>>
>>63113703
are they supposed to be soldiers?
>>
Because they sell. It's not a risk for a studio to release yet another Hunger Games-esque flick.

Also, women can't write themselves out of a cardboard box. The post apocalyptic and scifi setting is just a backdrop for a dime in a dozen romance story.
>>
blah blah blah multiple factions, blah blah oppressive government, blah blah uprising of impoverished citizen, strong females, blah blah potential love interest, death and destruction all around

What else?
>>
>>63113932
It's like it's some kind of magic movie making formula that continuously rakes in cash with minimal effort!
>>
>women sci fi writers
>>
>>63114106
>>63113963
>>63113932
>in what other setting can we have fetish sex but sell it like we're creating 'deep, emotional story'
>>
File: 1445879084585.jpg (106 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445879084585.jpg
106 KB, 1440x1080
>>63114106
Ursula K. LeGuin?
>>
>from the director of The Disappearance of Alice Creed

What the fuck? How is he not directing big-boy studio thrillers and dramas instead of bullshit like this?
>>
File: download (5).jpg (4 KB, 192x144) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
4 KB, 192x144
Anne McCaffrey would like a word...
>>
Is this based on a book series? I assume it must be, but the trailer looks like one of those stereotypical boardroom meetings people talk about took place and they just decided to brainstorm the next YA-dystopia story.

>Characters are all teenagers so our audience can relate to them!
>Alien invasion, because everyone likes those.
>Giant natural disasters, those are always a big box office draw!
>Plagues, you know, kind of like The Walking Dead or some shit.
>The aliens look like us! Saves on special effects and can be used to add cheap suspense!
>ROMANCE!

Admittedly the romance barely gets a mention in the trailer, but you know it's going to be in there.

Also if the aliens have already destroyed most cities, brought down all the governments and wiped out most of the population of the Earth (why isn't everyone dead already from this 'unstoppable airborne virus'?) it just sounds like they've won already.
>>
>>63114797

Once this book started with the time travel manipulation I put it down and never picked it back up, pleb or no pleb I couldn't put up with it.
>>
>>63114106
Marge Piercy? Margaret Atwood?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.