[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just rewatched the original cut of Episode IV for the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 103012-star-wars111.jpg (86 KB, 620x375) Image search: [Google]
103012-star-wars111.jpg
86 KB, 620x375
I just rewatched the original cut of Episode IV for the first time since Special Edition came out and I have to say, SOME of the edits George Lucas made are actually okay. Like the adding in more scenes surrounding Biggs, giving a little more weight to his character so he seemed like less of a mere throwaway. And some of the visual edits do improve the look in certain areas where it's extremely apparent the movie was made in the 70s.

Some of the more obvious things of course still don't belong, but there were definitely some minor touch ups that improved the film.
>>
The problem isn't that he changed shit, it's that he went out of his way to force people to watch the new "improved" version while making it difficult to see the original. And seeing the original cut in HD in the correct aspect ratio? Good fucking luck
>>
There's nothing wrong with director's cuts. People are wondering why the original versions of the films are not being made available at all.
>>
>>63108082
The good changes far outweigh the good. Which edits were good?
>>
File: 1378653229954.gif (356 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
1378653229954.gif
356 KB, 500x345
>>63108208
>>
>>63108231
Oh, that was a train wreck. I meant to say the bad changes far outweigh the good
>>
>>63108132
>>63108185

I guess ultimately what people really want is a version of the films missing all the unnecessary bits that he just kept adding in. Looking at this original cut, I don't want this. I want a happy medium.
>>
>>63108287
>I want a happy medium.
If you look up torrents long enough, there's the Harmy's Despecialized Edition and another torrent called the Semi-Specialized Editions or something. Sounds like its your ball park. You might also like the Star Wars revisited with autistic video editing and plastic props inserted into the movie to give it more realism.
>yfw this is a real thing.
>>
>>63108366

>plastic props inserted into the movie to give it more realism

What the fuck? I need to look this weird shit up.
>>
>>63108432
Adywan's Star Wars is what it's called. Here's his edited version of the lightsaber duel from IV:

https://youtu.be/X_MkDgRAXo4

Some of his edits are good, like making the pacing during the trench run even better, but they're mostly autistic as hell.
>>
File: bravolucas.png (705 KB, 601x785) Image search: [Google]
bravolucas.png
705 KB, 601x785
>>
>>63108767
Is he the guy who added in battle Droid scraps to the sandcrawler interior? I always thought that was a clever continuity edit.
>>
>>63108767
Wow that's bad
The speed ups are really evident and the music doesn't fit that scene
Somehow the cheeky banter between the two feels forced and "le epic" like it's a Marvel movie

If Lucas had come out with this shit could you imagine the backlash
>>
>>63108873
I don't get it
>>
>>63109084
Are you color blind?
>>
All I want is an edition where he removes the unnecessary CGI creatures that he flooded the screen with at different points. Keep Han shooting 2nd(its a non issue and people are cry babies. He's still the sexy rebel badass he was before).
>>
>>63108767

>camera cuts every .5seconds

gave me a seizure
>>
>>63110699
We don't serve your kind here.
>>
>>63112910

This

The new song has more emotional weight than Yub Nub to be honest
>>
>>63108767
Christ that added music makes it feel like I'm watching some joke video making fun of the original fight.
>>
>>63108287
>what people really want is a version of the films missing all the unnecessary bit

It's just bugs people that you have this pivotal classic sci-fi film from the 70s and no real easy way to see "that film" in the modern era. Even if one thinks the early star wars films are crap they still have to admit the films have a place in over all cinema history.

everything from the birth of toy marketing, the shift to more FX driven films, birth of Industrial Light and Magic, it funded THX Sound starting up and of course Star Wars is also just the birth of the entire franchise

wow.. Can I see the film that spawned a multi-billion dollar franchise in movies, toys and over all film tech? Ya know see frame for frame what people did in the early 70s that made all that happen? It's movie history more then it is a just a sci-fi film

>Lucas
>fuck you, no.
>>
>>63108082
i want a version that is despecialized BUT maintains two changes

the first change is with biggs explaining to the capt. how luke is damn good with the skyhopper.

the second change is the dogfights on the death star surface. tho it is nice to appreciate the OG film and miniatures, u have to admit the improvements they made for the ship-to-ship fights really gave the film more flavour
>>
>>63112950
It makes no sense in the context of the story, though. The victory in RotJ was just a small one, but it helped turn the tide of the war.

It didn't escalate all throughout the galaxy. There were hundreds of star systems still under control of the Empire and for the Death Star 2 and Emperor to fall and have it completely wreck the Empire is the equivalent of the United States falling just because the White House was blown up with him in it.

IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY
>>
>>63113213
*with the President in it
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 411x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 411x480
>you will never barbecue Darth Vader while singing a happy tune

http://youtu.be/uoo9KRoKaRA
>>
Anyone else watch the "prequels: despecialzed" with all the cgi removed and replaced with claymation and VHS style filter added?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.