[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was Lucas thinking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: databank_ewok_01_169_747db03a.jpg (139 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
databank_ewok_01_169_747db03a.jpg
139 KB, 768x432
What was Lucas thinking?
>>
>>63097852
when i was little everyone loved them.

especially the one named wicket.

princess leia was adorable with them
>>
He wanted to make some VC and wookiees were too big to play chinamen.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw
>>
What the fuck was JJ thinking?
>>
File: 1427177751046.jpg (12 KB, 236x159) Image search: [Google]
1427177751046.jpg
12 KB, 236x159
>>63097852
Terriers
>>
>>63097852

The "private culture overcomes a technological empire" was a strong motif in the late 70's / early 80's due to vietnam. He probably thought he was being clever and insightful by having the empire defeated by a race of 3' tall teddy bears armed with sticks and rocks.

Also like Jar Jar Binks he finds ewoks hilarious and endearing and figured that everyone else would find them hilarious and endearing as well, which is why you get gags like the ewok stealing the speeder bike, or the ewok hitting itself in the face like a cartoon character, and the ewoks being dragged along behind the AT-ST. It's all for laughs. Too bad he didn't realize that it was completely tonally dissonant with Luke being tormented by the emperor and the rebel fleet being slowly picked apart one by one as they desperately fight a hopelessly one-sided battle.
>>
>>63098044

>private

Shows where my head is, "primitive"
>>
File: Maz_castle_cross_section.jpg (406 KB, 1440x593) Image search: [Google]
Maz_castle_cross_section.jpg
406 KB, 1440x593
>>63097900

That thing is going to stick out so badly against all the actually cool looking practical creatures they've made for the film. If you're going to go so far as to design all of this shit and build it why then insert a CGI cheeto-creature that will age like milk?
>>
>>63097852
People who are upset about the Ewoks don't understand the tone of Star Wars. Hint: it's not a grimdark scifi about the horrors of war like 90% of casual Star Wars fans want it to be.
>>
>>63098322
I don't get as butthurt about the ewoks as some faggots do but I understand why people don't like them

before the Ewoks Star Wars was family friendly, but not dumb. With the little teddy bears it goes into child pandering slapstick mode.
>>
>>63097885
>we can never go back to this
>>
>>63098114
This. They could have easily changed her design to allow someone in a costume to fit in or do some puppet shit like with yoda.

Also sauce?
>>63097900
>>
>>63098322
They could have been wookies and nothing important would have changed.
Would have sold just as many toys too.
>>
>>63097852

they're a bunch of murderous bloodthirsty religious zealot feral savage bears

also i might point out that, until chewie steals the ATST, most of the shots of ewoks are them getting murdered by the imperials
>>
>LE FUG THE EWOGGZZZ
>>
>>63097852
>What was Lucas thinking?
"These nerds that watch my movies will gobble up whatever turd I make so I'm not even going to bother trying to make it good nor trying to hide how shit it is. I don't care and neither will they anyways."
>>
File: UGJTvgD.jpg (125 KB, 1275x532) Image search: [Google]
UGJTvgD.jpg
125 KB, 1275x532
>>63098114
This fucker looks like he was made out of my old couch.
>>
Lucas was probably thinking "What would be a great toy to market to children?"

He knew fans would gobble whatever shit he made up, so why not make easy to manufacture toys to boot?
>>
>>63097852
So is it true when people say they were going to be Wookies, but GL or the studio decided they wanted to market it for children and merchandise something cute, thus the switch to Ewoks?
>>
>>63098609
This, Ewoks were awesome.
>>
>>63097852
>implying Lucas CAN think.
>>
>>63098662
>LE EWOGGZZZ FUG UN MUH NEG HOLEZ
>>
>>63098322
It's about selling toys and pandering to 4yo kids
>>
Ewoks, second death star and all that jazz is when Lucas got rid of all his "no-men" and replaced them with "yes-men", RotJ is so very tonally different from the two previous movies
>>
>>63097852
He thought that it's a movie for children, and it is.
>>
>>63097852
WE WUZ KINGZ AND SHIIIIT
>>
>>63099076
But wookies are cute.
>>
>>63098961
Little monkey fella
>>
>>63099076
Wookies were switched to ewoks because the wookies were technologically advanced, and the ewoks needed to be a tribal species who defeat the superior empire.
>>
>>63099484
Yes, it's a fairly tale that appeals mainly to children and it's good enough for adults to find it digestible. As Star Wars fans get older they're becoming less tolerant of the childish aspects, and they're freaking out. That's why everyone is retroactively saying all of it sucks except for Empire Strikes Back and KOTOR II (and ROTS to an extent), because they are the most grimdark and serious parts of the franchise.
>>
I don't get why people hate the ewoks but like Chewbacca. At least the ewoks are cute and have some funny moments, like when they think c3po is god. Chewie is just boring and lame.
>>
>>63098114
>you JUST know everysingle character in that picture is going to have a novel long page on Wookiepedia
>>
File: sonic-team-o.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
sonic-team-o.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>63097852
apparently they used to do a bunch coke back in those days
>>
>>63098114
>no traditional Star wars species like twi'leks, duros, bith, ithorian, iridorian, aqualish, sand niggers, he doesn't like yous, you'll be deads, Wookiies, Mon calamari, togrutas, or humans

DROPPED SO FUCKING HARD
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFa014b6EBk

RiP in pieces Tribal Teddy.
>>
>>63100835
They already made a short story about the girl in the black leather that was released this week and one about the red guy to the far right is coming next week.
>>
>>63098961
Warwick Davis: I hope I got a better costume.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.