[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You are now aware that you live in a world, a terrifying world,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 1308907583968935201.jpg (39 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1308907583968935201.jpg
39 KB, 636x358
You are now aware that you live in a world, a terrifying world, where there are people right this moment who use terms such as "canon" and "cinematic universe" when talking about films and television shows.

A terrifying world where imagined characters on a screen are required, according to those who discuss them, to adhere to "ground rules" set out by the creators of said-characters. A terrifying world where those that discuss these characters and their actions, are actually enraged if said-characters deviate from the mannerisms expected of them, the mannerisms that may have initially been set in the pages of a comic book.

Think about that. A comic book. For children. Yes, pictures and words on the same page, which are meant to be read by children, that are actually read by adults who then bicker and express their frustration at film-translations of these comic books not being "faithful". Faithful to a comic book. That's supposed to be read by young children.

This is your world. This is the world of capeshit. Terrifying, isn't it?
>>
Canon has been used since barth tho. Not related to sw
>>
File: pupi lol.jpg (59 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
pupi lol.jpg
59 KB, 640x427
This is also the world of Star Wars so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

>he's embarassed other people will think he's immature because of the movies he likes.
>he isn't too busy working, paying a mortgage, taking out his girlfriend and living life to give a damn what strangers think about his taste in entertainment.
>>
>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit that... There is a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator, and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- George Lucas
>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg
>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness
>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg
>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin
>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu
>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky
>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
Alan Moore
>>
I have a friend who is a doctor, he works 20 hour shifts sometimes, volunteers, he's amazing. Puts way more into society than he takes out. He watches serious films sometimes, and lots of times he watches capeshit and takes it seriously.
People need something that isn't serious, like superheros. But oddly enough, if you don't take capeshit seriously, it doesn't work as a distraction.
People need to play, they need to use their mind for something that doesn't have consequences.
>>
>>63073592
>george lucas
old man who directed one hit movie, then went crazy, had to have other people direct the other two movies in his trilogy, completely ruined his reputation by directing the prequels and showing he was basically a one hit wonder.

>simon pegg
guy who makes his entire career off of pandering to and playing characters in "nerd culture" roles such as Scotty from Star Trek, Shaun of the Dead, etc.

>alec guinness
old, irrelevant, dead actor who despite how much he fucking hates star wars, will ALWAYS be remembered solely as Obi Wan, nothing else. there are literally no alec guiness movies besides Star Wars that anyone cares about, his karma is that he will always be remembered solely as the character he hated the most. in 100 years, his great grandchildren will have to say "b-b-but my great granddad was Obi Wan!" to impress people.

>david cronenberg
makes a bunch of shitty movies no one but film school students care about. best movie is "a history of violence" because it's the only one anyone remembers.

>friedkin
irrelevant, hasn't directed anything that mattered to anyone in years

>inarritu
the man who's greatest artistic achievement in life was making a movie that makes fun of the entire capeshit phenomenon.

>jodorowsky
guy who films complete bullshit and sells it as art, eaten up by people who are high on acid

>alan moore
guy who got famous by writing what's considered the most serious capeshit of all time.

so basically Anonymous, no one gives a shit and you're going to buy tickets to see Batman vs Superman anyways.
>>
>>63073829
>ALWAYS be remembered solely as Obi Wan
Yeah, bridge over the river kwai and lawrence of arabia are totally forgotten.

talking frankly, anyone who knows alec guinness's name probably knows enough about film to know better than to think he was just obi wan.
>>
>>63073829
>there are literally no alec guiness movies besides Star Wars that anyone cares about, his karma is that he will always be remembered solely as the character he hated the most
How fucking old are you ape
>>
>>63073740
That's what Miyazaki is for
>>
>>63073909
except 99% of people learn his name as "that guy who's Obi Wan".

No one cares about Lawrence of Arabia.

No one cares about Bridge over the River Kwai.

He's just Obi Wan.

He'll always be Obi Wan.

People leave lightsabers at the man's grave.

He's only Obi Wan.
>>
>>63073951
35, I just happen to be aware of the reality. Which is that if you showed 99% of the human population a picture of Alec Guiness, most people who recognize him would simply say "Oh hey, it's Obi Wan.".
>>
>>63073961
>No one cares about Lawrence of Arabia.

Is this bait? I mean I could see Bridge Over the River Kwai being only known among film purists but not Lawrence.
>>
>>63073740
Sure, once in a while to give the mind some rest
but there are those who devote their entire time into it.
>>
File: 302193H0OMTDb7.png (88 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
302193H0OMTDb7.png
88 KB, 300x300
>>63073829
>>friedkin
>irrelevant, hasn't directed anything that mattered to anyone in years
>>
>>63073829
>>inarritu
>the man who's greatest artistic achievement in life was making a movie that makes fun of the entire capeshit phenomenon.

/film/ when? i can't deal with the plebs on this board.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 600x762) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 600x762
Remember all those times you went to see Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies? Remember how excited you were as a child over the Star Wars prequels, Batman Begins, and Lord Of The Rings?

You did this. The future of cinema is the Hell we made it. Now, live with it.
>>
>>63074083

uh if you're an Inarritu fan then you certainly won't be granted admittance to the /film/ board mate
>>
>>63074130
It's the future you deserve
>>
>>63074133
? saying birdman is inarritu's greatest film is the most retarded shit.
>>
>>63074363

saying inarritu has any good movies is far more retarded

he's a hack and I hope if /film/ ever comes to fruition then such hacks won't be discussed. you're out of your element.
>>
>>63074378
why are you making stuff up about my posts?
>>
>>63074419

I'm using the art of inference. You think someone is a pleb because they think Inarritu's best movie is Birdman. This implies that you think another movie Inarritu has made is better and has value.

I'm saying to feel this way makes you the pleb my man
>>
>>63073479
Oh , hi there reddit
nice to see you
>>
>>63074442
i don't think you know what the word best means.
comparison has nothing to do with the base quality of the product.
>>
>>63074499
Heyy real redditor pretending he didn't show up in the last 2 years
>>
>>63074585
>>63074442
for example a new hope is the best star wars movie
>>
>>63074585

UGH

okay

you are a pleb because you didn't immediately say

"all of Inarritu's movies are dogshit, he has nothing worth even discussing you worthless faggot"

that is why you are a pleb sir.
>>
>>63074618

and I actually don't agree with that

I would say A New Hope is the most endurable, least awful Star Wars movie. Invoking the word "best" to describe something I hate is just linguistically stupid regardless of its technical accuracy.
>>
File: 0-bane.png (112 KB, 253x242) Image search: [Google]
0-bane.png
112 KB, 253x242
this thread could use more CIA
>>
>>63074593
Is that how long you have to have been posting on a columbian racing frog forum to not be from reddit now? Since at least 2012?
>>
>>63073740
This is why I have no idea why the interest boards care at all about capeshit when if you use one of them you are probably a turbo autist who wastes too much time on dank memes
>>
>>63074619
>sir
>>>/reddit/
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.