[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any anons here that prefer animated film to live-action?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 16
File: secretofkellspics.jpg (370 KB, 541x799) Image search: [Google]
secretofkellspics.jpg
370 KB, 541x799
Are there any anons here that prefer animated film to live-action? I'm not talking about just anime, but animation in general. To me there is just something astounding about crafting the whole aesthetic design of your work from scratch. I admit I rather prefer expresivness to subtlety and overt design to realism, be it surrealist, minimalist or otherwise.

Besides that let's just have a thread dedicated to animation and our favorite animated works.
>>
File: frame3.jpg (564 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
frame3.jpg
564 KB, 1920x1080
>>63068512
When it is good it is good, regardless of medium.

I prefer highly stylized as well as highly detailed. But, the style has to be right otherwise it gets on my nerves (Aeon Flux for instance). Regardless of what it is, it better have good writing.
>>
>>63068512
>Are there any anons here that prefer animated film to live-action?
There aren't that many good animated films.
>>
File: 758009408.jpg (118 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
758009408.jpg
118 KB, 1920x1080
>>63068648
Most people pick Studio Ghibli stuff anyway.
>>
I really love the Tales of Alethrion series. The animation could use some improvement, but pretty impressive considering it was made by a small danish studio.

https://youtu.be/0Cw7aAFS5oc
>>
File: spirited away grid.jpg (3 MB, 1300x1657) Image search: [Google]
spirited away grid.jpg
3 MB, 1300x1657
>>63068512
I don't know if I'd say I prefer animation, but it certainly excels at certain things (sci-fi, fantasy, surrealism)
>>
File: Sakura from Key the Metal Idol.jpg (9 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
Sakura from Key the Metal Idol.jpg
9 KB, 267x200
>>63068798
I find it also makes you care about a character more than live action. With live action the actor will be in many movies. If his character dies, it isn't all that bad really. But, in an anime, if a character dies, they are gone forever in all mediums, barring a few prequels or ghosts and such. Thus there's more loss to it. Even with characters that don't die, the movie/show they are in is the only place you'll see them in action. Which is why it makes it more personal to people who enjoy watching animation.
>>
>>63068798
>sci-fi, fantasy, surrealism
It's still not better than live-action film.
>>
To bad op picks the most plebby films, they have nice art direction nothing else. '

also you have bad tastes
>>
>>63068931
I'd like to see stuff like "Memories" or "Moonlight Mile".

>>63069000
He only posted 1 image for 1 animation.
>>
>>63069063
>I'd like to see stuff like Memories
Silly thinking.
>>
>>63069172
I mean as a live action movie. It'd be neat to see if they could pull it off or make it better.
>>
File: Animated works.jpg (1 MB, 1815x1993) Image search: [Google]
Animated works.jpg
1 MB, 1815x1993
>>63068633
True, Aeon Flux irked me in a similar way the Ping Pong anime did. I don't think it was done badly, just it was unappealing on purpose. It might have worked a bit too well. I still admire the effert to creat an adult-oriented anime tv show in which the focus isn't comedy/satire like the simpsons, family guy etc.
>>63068648
I'd say there's still quite a bit, I haven't yet seen everything I planned to.
>>63068770
Looks interesting. It's a series? How many episodes are there?
>>63068798
Well, I'm a fan of all of those so maybe it's just by its nature that it panders to my preferences. I'm especially a fan of surrealism, and while I have seen films with surreal writing that impressed me, when it came to their visual aspects films by Bunuel, Jodorowsky or Lynch never impressed me as much as surreal elements in animated films or series.
>>63069000
ok
>>
>>63069186
Animation and live action is different. I don't think there is a point in making live action Memories or anime version of Stalker.
>>
>>63068908
I haven't thought about this specifically but I have realized that I also tend to relate characters in films to the actors that play them. This makes me kind of lose the immersion, while in animation I tend to focus on just the character as a character. It even irks me when I start recognizing the voice actors.
>>
>>63069249
>I'd say there's still quite a bit
And there is 100 times more good films. I'm not exaggerating.
>>
>>63069298
True, even if there were an animated adaptation of Roadside Picnic, I'd prefer it to be just as different from it as it was from the film or the game. In a way that uses the strengths of the medium.
>>
>>63069352
There are probably 1000 times more movies in general. So the proportion is still rather good.
>>
>>63069342
Exactly.

>It even irks me when I start recognizing the voice actors.

Same here for dubs and english stuff.
>>
>>63069421
It doesn't matter. If you are truly interested in film then you just can't prefer animation over live action. You can easily watch all important/good animated films in one year or less.
>>
>>63068633
>Says when it is good it is good, regardless of medium.
>Posts a shitty movie by a hack

What did he mean by this?
>>
Kill yourself
>>
>>63068931
saying it's inherently better/not better is stupid in the first place.
>>
File: Animation.jpg (254 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
Animation.jpg
254 KB, 920x920
I don't, all of my favouriite films are live-action.
>>
I like both, a lot of the liveaction big budget movies coming out are 80% animated anyway

Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea are amazing though
>>
>>63069564
Thread is about art style in animation.
>>
>>63068770

>>63069249
Yeah, it's a series. Episodes are still in production, and they've released a second episode:

https://youtu.be/DUlg8Y_mLfA
>>
>>63069540
What sense does that make? So I can't prefer one director over another, because he made fewer films? You can't prefer books over movies, because there thousands of more books?
>>
Shitty anime j-pop is my guilty pleasure.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 587x545) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 587x545
I dont know i mean i like both

I think animated is more magical, it has this sense of wonder. I mean take spirited away for example, ithas these huge characters and wonderful plotlines

I think animated movies are more complex
>>
I tried watching that Song of the Sea but kept F5ing instead of watching.
>>
>>63069906
It makes a lot of sense. If you prefer animation then you aren't really interested in film in the first place.
>>
>>63069634
I think most of my favorite films are live-action but most of my favorite series are definitely animated. Besides a couple of shows like Decalogue, Sopranos or The Prisoner it's hard for me to find series I've liked on the same level as my favorite animated ones.
9/9
I didn't put Tale of Tales on mine because I wanted to make a seperate one for shorts but I couldn't think of that many non-anime ones.
>>
I find it easier to get sucked into fantasy movies if they're animated but anything else I prefer live action
>>
>>63068512
>tfw lifelong passion for animation
>every discussion board or forum is either completely retarded or "what do x's feet smell like?"
>/co/ has become the single most intolerable board over the years
Pain.
>>
>>63070053
>but I couldn't think of that many non-anime ones
Really? Come on.
>>
>>63070053
As far as series go, I slightly prefer anime. Live action shows are much better than non-Japanese animated shows, from what I've seen. Utena, Texhnolyze and maybe NGE are the only anime series I liked as much as Sopranos/Decalogue though.
>>
File: 1448073777868.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
1448073777868.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2160
no but song of the sea was nice
>>
>>63068512
dont even like star wars but the cartoon version i love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VB_vjVxcic
>>
>>63068512
Animefag here.
Wanna get into western animation.
I've seen fantastic planet and loved it.
What else is good like that?
>>
>>63069634
Care to give titles kind anon please?
I'm sure I know bottom left but I can't remember the title.
>>
>>63070388
I'm not him but pretty much anything in the bottom of this pic >>63069249

someone else should list them because I don't feel like it, if no one does i miight come back to the thread to help you
>>
>>63070439
From left to right

Top : End of Evangelion, Angel's Egg, Belladonna of Sadness

Center: Tale of Tales, Feherlofia, The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Bottom: Fantasia, Millennium Actress, Pinocchio
>>
>>63070388
Try out the ones on this chart
>>63069249
Titles are Yellow Submarine, Feherlofia, Heavy Metal, Waltz with Bashir, The Adventures of Prince Achmed (check this out rather later on), Persepolis, Alice and It's Such a Wonderful Day. Feherlofia should be especially up your alley if you liked Fantastic Planet. The director of FP also made another film called Gandahar, but it wasn't as good neither story-wise or visually.
>>63069634
Also Fantasia and Tale of Tales from this. I expect you'd have seen Pinocchio.
>>63070258
Yeah, there's hardly anything reallly good among non-japanese animated shows, maybe besides The Maxx.
>>63070200
Yup, though I'm open to suggestions. But I've seen most of the well known stuff (Sopranos, Mad Men, Twin Peaks, The Wire), and less known recommended stuff like Decalogue or Prisoner. Since I'm a visualfag none of those have really satisfied my needs in that respect like animated series and films or lots of live-action movies.
>>
>>63070528
>Fantasia
Thanks, how could I forget.
>>
>>63068512
>prefer animation
I'd hope not, since you're probably extremely unfulfilled as a movie watcher. You either have awful standards or only really enjoy a couple films a year at best
>>
>>63070016
>If you prefer Political Satire then you aren't really interested in Literature in the first place. Because there are so few great Political Satire books compared to great literature in general.

reducto ad absurdum
>>
>>63070177
/co/ and /a/ are the polished turds of animation discussion
>>
>>63070621
You could check out Riget and Chris Morris' Jam.
>>
When I was really into LSD I was all about trying to watch at least one animated movie during a trip, usually on lower doses or towards the end. Some of the visuals were just so vibrant and amazing.

I experienced Fantasia, Yellow Submarine, Feherlofia(the trippiest), Secret of Kells, Waking Life, Spirited Away and Song of the Sea(one of the last times ive tripped) in entirely entirely new ways
>>
>>63070866
I imagine Mind Game and End of Evangelion would be real fascinating while high.
>>
>>63070925
or Angel's Egg.
>>
File: 2573915260.jpg (66 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
2573915260.jpg
66 KB, 600x450
Needs more Russian stuff. Here's Maugli.
>>
File: 1443897459190.webm (2 MB, 820x444) Image search: [Google]
1443897459190.webm
2 MB, 820x444
Sometimes I wish our CGI heavy blockbusters were just straight up animated movies. 2D or CGI, I don't mind, but with live-action there's such a fucking disconnect between the real people who stand in corridors and talk to each other with their real faces and the cartoon characters who fly through the air and punch each other.

The Winter Soldier is a good example of this because it was so grounded up until that point when Cap flipped off his bike onto the top of that fighter plane and started whipping his shield around and somersaulted off of it while it crashed and it looked so fucking goofy, it stood out like a sore thumb. And then the last third had a ton of CGI which was a bit much.

But if you look at an animated movie, say for example the 2D Ghost in the Shell or something CGI like Big Hero Six, that disconnect isn't there. The dialogue scenes and the action scenes feel like they take place in the same universe, those characters feel as though they're the same characters whether they're talking or punching.
>>
>>63068735
Well, Hosoda is awful too. The cheap sentimentalism mixed with the boring world building on that film, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, is near umbearable.
>>
>>63072243
Children Who Chase Lost Voices is a Makoto Shinkai film.

Both Shinkai and Hosoda are overrated if you ask me. Hosoda relies on the same tricks in each movie, sometimes to the point he makes the same movie twice (Digimon and Summer Wars). Shinkai only knows how to make his pretty backgrounds, which I've always felt make everything look oddly shiny and wet, even if it's meant to be dry and summery. He seems to be, after his first couple of movies, trying to figure out exactly what sort of filmmaker he is. Lost Voices was such a blatant Ghibli wannabe it was laughable.
>>
File: doremi_dokkan_40.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
doremi_dokkan_40.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
Hate on Hosoda all you want, but he directed two of the best anime episodes of all time.
>>
>>63072382
Sorry for the confusion. I feel that Shinkai is one of the "otaku directors" that Miyazaki is so scared off. His sentimental education or cinematographical use of animation is pretty horrid, thus his work is so teenagerish that it hurts to watch.

I strongly believe that Masaaki Yuasa is the only "new" animation director in Japan that can handle SOMETHING on his own, even if he repeats his never ending life empowering message every time he makes something.

People will say about Ghibli, too, but Miyazaki and Takahata's last films were both masterpieces, far above the level they have been going on with 2000s Ghibli.
>>
>>63072510
And then went and did the same thing in the next film he made. It's strange he can get away with just copying himself over and over and doesn't get pitchforked for it.

I guess Miyazaki gets away with it too. He at least tries to shake it up a bit though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luYisfb8DIE
>>
>>63072909
I cringe whenever he says Kagoya on the film show

There's no goddamn in O there. Why are you saying Kagoya?
>>
>>63072518
>I strongly believe that Masaaki Yuasa is the only "new" animation director
What about Kenji Nakamura? I can't say I admire him as much as Yuasa, but he has crafted some of the more unique series of the last decade.
>even if he repeats his never ending life empowering message every time he makes something.
I actually like that. It's a nice contrast to the more dark, cryptic and surreal anime of the 90s and early 00s (which I also love btw).
>Miyazaki and Takahata's last films were both masterpieces
I can agree with Kaguya, but why do you say so about The Wind Rises? I couldn't really understand what Miyazaki was trying to say through this movie. He's always had this anti-war message in his movies, so why make a film about a guy who made war planes. Why mix events from his actual life with a story from some other book Miyazaki liked?
>>
>>63072518
>>63073208
Also, I'm dissapointed that we probably won't get to see more of Mitsuo Iso. He's an amazing animator but I think he proved himself an director with Dennou Coil. To bad that from what I heard he was so harsh, perfectionist and demanding that nobody will want to work under him ever again.
>>
>>63073026
Are there any possible 2D, hand-drawn contenders?
>>
Any anime out there that doesn't cater to man-children? Something that's not overly sentimental, no samurai swords, something that a child wouldn't consider among their top ten.
>>
>>63073391
All of those:
>>63069634
>>63069249
>>
>>63069585
The thing is those media often use animation by default. Making it animated fully makes it more consistent.
>>
>>63074326
*genre
>>
>>63069249
>no texhnolyze in series
>>
>>63074365
Lain > Haibane Renmei > Texhnolyze > Niea_7
>>
>>63074644
Texhnolyze > Lain
>>
File: planetes.jpg (39 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
planetes.jpg
39 KB, 480x360
I don't prefer animation over anything but I do prefer some genres in it, like science fiction set in space.

Too bad there aren't many good shows like that. Moe kills everything.
>>
>>63074746
Texhnolyze should have been shorter and it had a much weaker second half besides the parts above ground which were 10/10. The Shades looked incredibly stupid as if they were taken out from a pop science fiction novel from the 40s. Lain was much more consistent, never overstayed its welcome, had more interesting visual direction and each episode served in both narrative and thematic exposition.
>>
>>63068512
I like animated movies but I will be honest. Outside of Disney and Ghibli most age like crap and arent all that great.
A few months ago I decided to go on an animation binge of the older non disney animated movies.
The only one that actually held and I actually remember up for me was Plague Dogs and thats mainly because they had the most realistic acting animals I have seen in animation. The rest of the movies like Last, Unicorn, Watership down, stuff by Bakshi and Don Bluth in general all had really obvious flaws and things that just annoyed me and stopped the movies from becoming great.
>>
>>63075804
I think this is the problem with films that try to create a kind of "realistic" style. There's not really much point in an animated film doing something that a live-action film will do better by default. It's like how when cameras were invented, artists chifted from more realistic painting to surrealist and stylized. In the same vein I'd recommend checking out films with more abstract visuals like Angel's Egg, Sadness of Belladonna, Fantastic Planet or Feherlofia. If you're not just looking for old ones like you mentioned then any of the other ones mentioned here:
>>63070621
>>
>>63069634
Whats the middle one?
>>
File: feherlofia 1.jpg (2 MB, 2112x2560) Image search: [Google]
feherlofia 1.jpg
2 MB, 2112x2560
>>63077255
Feherlofia
>>
>>63068512
ITT man-children who can't watch anything but cartoons because it assblasts their autism
>>
>>63068512
Well it sucks to be you.
Even Disney doesnt really care that much anymore. After teh success of Cinderella enjoy live action versions of old animated movies.
>>
File: 1401827678672.jpg (24 KB, 267x321) Image search: [Google]
1401827678672.jpg
24 KB, 267x321
Where can I even watch Aeon Flux
>>
>>63077289
Best animated film ever desu
>>
>>63073391
Try those previously mentioned as well as Baccano. It's honest fun and manages to break away from the usual anime shlock with a huge cast of amazing characters.
>>
Do you know the one this anime really does do better than american television (on average)? Endings.

Anime are syndicated to be 13-26 sepisode series and thus the ending and the overall arc is already well planned out with a large proportion of funds being aimed at said ending. Whereas almost every western show is just a ratings based machine that will continue ad infinitum as long as people are watching.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.