[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literally "nothing happens, the movie" How can people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: 1430097719610.jpg (190 KB, 775x500) Image search: [Google]
1430097719610.jpg
190 KB, 775x500
Literally "nothing happens, the movie"

How can people enjoy this piece of shit
>>
here is your reply, now feel free to fuck off to
>>>reddit
>>
Nothing needs to happen, you fucking pleb.
>>
File: MadsDuckface.jpg (33 KB, 450x302) Image search: [Google]
MadsDuckface.jpg
33 KB, 450x302
>>63058229
>Literally "nothing happens, the movie"
True

>How can people enjoy this piece of shit
I don't know, but it's my favorite movie, and you can't do shit about it.
>>
What did you expect to happen? Explosions and car chases?
>>
>>63058229
it explores interesting themes in a beautiful way
>>
It is literally a white people's movie
>>
"What are you doing in Japan, anyway?"
"No idea, I'm lost in translation."

what did he mean by this?
>>
to quote my grumpy grandma today when we were looking at the movie listings:

>movies today are so shitty. it's just some guy in a cape flying around punching a godzilla in the face

I suspect OP is the main demographic for these superman vs godzilla crossovers
>>
>white people being sad for the sake of it, the movie

Just dont be self loathing faggots whats the fucking problem?

Go watch Leaving Las Vegas, now thats white people with real fucked up lives.
>>
>>63058382
*lifes
>>
>>63058396
no
>>
that's literally what the film is about, loneliness

check out transformers i think you'll like it
>>
File: 1448050046338.jpg (15 KB, 253x341) Image search: [Google]
1448050046338.jpg
15 KB, 253x341
>>63058396
wow, you really are retarded, aren't you?
Trying to correct somewhen and then being in the wrong must feel so fucking stupid, couldn't you have at least spent the 30 seconds to look up if your obviously damaged brain was giving you the right ideas there
>>
>le well off people living in fancy places suffering from ennui

it was well-shot though
>>
Murray's character is at the end of his life and career, used to be a celebrity but now he's washed up doing advertisements and lost faith in his marriage, scarjo graduated from an expensive college with a worthless degree, no job prospects and married some faggot she doesn't like who might be cheating on her so she's worried she's gonna be pretty and sad forever, and they were both very obviously lost in the film.

You can say "white people le movie" like redditors or criticise it sensibly, they genuinely did have problems, you're allowed to be sad and not oppressed by ISIS or something.
>>
The world itself is so sad that when it really comes down to it making a sad movie is easy. Everyone is jaded and expects sadness, irony, and an overall maudin movie.

That's why the real challenge is making a feel good movie, something inspirational, something dare I say it cool.

hardmode: no capes

One Chariots of Fire is worth a thousand Ice Storms
>>
>>63058520
The problem I have with this movie is that none of what you said makes either of the characters interesting or even sympathetic. Murray's character might be losing faith in his marriage but that doesn't change the fact that he is pretty loaded, gets to travel the world and do whatever the fuck he wants, while his wife is at home raising a whole bunch of his kids. He has an emotional affair with scarjo and and fucks that singer chick from the bar.

Scarjo on the other hand marries a guy who is basically supporting her, and because of HIS job she gets to travel the world with him. There is no real evidence of him being a bad guy or even him having an affair during the movie. Scarjo is just depressed for basically no reason.
>>
>>63058245
>>63058265
>>63058270
>>63058303
>>63058315
le reddit army has arrived
>>
>>63058382
fuck off negro
>>
>>63058630
you don't need to be the most unlucky guy in the world to be allowed to be depressed

you're not supposed to sympathize with these characters, just understand that anyone and everyone can experience loneliness or depression.

whether your rich, famous, young or old nobody is perfect
>>
makes my tummy tingle :3
>>
>>63058630
>>63058630
I think that's kind of the point Coppola is trying to explore, showing that being depressed and lonely is universally common and doesn't depend on who you are, which is one of the things I like about the movie. Coming to the end of your life with limited options, and being completely clueless of what to do at the beginning are two interesting situations to draw a parallel between, and also note the fact that they're each considering having an affair, which if they were to indulge in would almost validate the fact that they place no stock in their own lives and "successes".

Also, it's not really portraying them as thaaaat sad either, which if it was trying to force the atmosphere of some Leaving Las Vegas or Requiem for a Dream type shit I'd agree with your reasoning, but a lot of the time in the movie the tone stays light.
>>
File: 657353.jpg (173 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
657353.jpg
173 KB, 1280x688
beautiful film. it's one you either love or hate. if you can't relate to it you'll probably find it pretty boring
>>
>>63058229
>How can people enjoy this piece of shit

Scarlett's ass
>>
>>63058719
>>63058793
I understood the general theme of depression, each of the two main characters had different lives, both had 'good' lives but found reasons to be depressed anyway. I understood why each character felt depressed, I just couldn't find myself caring.

The atmosphere was pretty nice, I will say that. I also liked the acting, but the movie as a whole didn't come together for me.

At the end of the day it IS just a movie, and if people find something to like about the movie that is great. Personally it isn't the kind of movie I'd watch more than once.
>>
>>63058373
I'm not really in to capeshit, but who wouldn't want to see a Superman Godzilla crossover. Just to see how stupid and over the top it would be?
>>
>>63058699
>I don't like something
>le reddit
>>
>>63058520
True. I don't think this is a "White people problems" movie. Zach Braff's kickstarter movie is a "white people problems" movie.
>>
>>63059041
We need more camp in mainstream
>>
File: lit3.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lit3.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Piece of shit comin through
>>
>>63058229
i hated it as well when I saw it 3 years ago desu
>>
>>63058229
Children require plot. Adults require characters. Neither is WRONG, but pretending one is better is Pleb.
>>
>>63058303
Reminds me of Adaptation. A Character study of two different writers ending in everything that plebs love.
>>
its okay but its certainly no master piece, especially if you can turn on any hbo show and have the same amount of character depth in any given show.
>>
CLOSE MY EYES
>>
plenty happens, pay attention next time.
>>
>>63058229
>unemployed philosophy major with obnoxious husband pretends shes smarter than everyone around her: the movie.
>>
>>63060690
FEEL ME NOW
>>
File: onealx-large.jpg (19 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
onealx-large.jpg
19 KB, 490x368
>>63058382
>>63058329
sheeeeeeit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qKy4cMPUI
>>
>>63060977
You know what's the best part about that interview? That he's dead, and he wasn't shot by a white cop.
>>
>>63058229
Do you think this movie appeals to betas because the protag didn't fuck her?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.