[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: vlcsnap-2015-11-26-01h41m10s329.png (586 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-11-26-01h41m10s329.png
586 KB, 1280x720
Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
>>
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>63057732
What did he actually mean though? The line makes no fucking sense. What does "is this me" mean?
>>
>>63057732
This is the first time this question needs to be answered.
>>
>>63057732
Holy fuck. What did he mean by this? And please, no dumb frogposteers.
>>
>>63056135
John Wayne was a big supporter of the Vietnam war even making an appearance on Laugh In which at the time was a left wing comedy show and largely against the war. While on the show he did a bit where he reads poetry in support of the war. He also made a Vietnam war movie. I always thought Joker was asking himself "Have I become John Wayne and am I alignrf with his ideals enough to be a soldier."
>>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3woEDTUbDYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
>>
>>63058162
Shit.
i mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3woEDTUbDYg
>>
>>63058116
Why would he say it out loud tho?
>>
File: I SPENT AN HOUR ON THIS WHAT.png (506 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
I SPENT AN HOUR ON THIS WHAT.png
506 KB, 720x720
>>63058162

><iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3woEDTUbDYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For fuck's sake anon
>>
Who the fuck said that?
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 560x461) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 560x461
>>63058187
This shit is funny as it is, now you obliterated my sides
>>
>>63057813

>I've always wondered what that line meant in Full Metal Jacket when Joker says "Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?"It's all there in Gustav Hasford's book "The Short-Timers", the book Kubrick adapted to make Full Metal Jacket (which is out of print but available on Gustav Hasford's website to read for free).

>According to the book it's Cowboy who makes that remark to Sergeant Hartman, implying that Sergeant Hartman thinks he's a cowboy like John Wayne. Here is the excerpt from the book (Joker is the narrator):

>A wiry little Texan in horn-rimmed glasses the guys are already calling "Cowboy" says, "Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?" Cowboy takes off his pearl-gray Stetson and fans his sweaty face. I laugh. Years of high school drama classes have made me a mimic. I sound exactly like John Wayne as I say: "I think I'm going to hate this movie." Cowboy laughs. He beats his Stetson on his thigh.
>>
>>63058197
B-bbut. I-i'm oldfag, s-sempai. Really.
>>
>>63058188
As a watermark for the viewer and or reader. Showing the military's' ability to re-task and re-sign the psyche with its own indoctrinations. The marines break down then build back up a person. It was in the book so Kubrik could have been making fun of the Author or it struck him as poignant. I wonder of anyone asked him in an interview.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.