[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this the masterpiece of the 90's, or a shameless Scorsese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
Was this the masterpiece of the 90's, or a shameless Scorsese knockoff?
>>
Neither. It's very good, though.
>>
i love it
i don't think it's very scorsesian but i can see how one would think that
>>
>>63039584
It has tits.
>>
>>63039584
A movie i have a hard time admitting that it's one of my favorite movies desu
>>
Just a Scorsese knockoff, and not even a good one. Most of the scenes wouldn't work without the blasting soundtrack over top of them, that's how you can tell you're watching a hack. Scorsese's films aren't like that
>>
PTA has film making talent but he's too much of a fanboy to make any worthwhile art. All he can do is try to recreate the films he likes.

He is the slightly more highbrow version of Tarantino. This is what happens when somebody who "went to films" tries to be a director.
>>
Film has near zero similarities to Scorsese films. You're just a pleb with a very very minuscule knowledge of film and since all you know is fucking Scorsese and other genreshit you don't actually have any fucking idea where the influences really came from.

Basically "i'm a huge fucking moron pleb" the post.
>>
>>63040292
>DUDE ALTMAN
Yawn
>>
>>63039584
One of the most overrated films of the 90s and that's coming from someone who'd puts twbb in his top ten films of all time.
Also magnolia is even worse in my view.
>>
>>63040322
>One of the most overrated films of the 90s
This guy knows what he's talking about
>and that's coming from someone who'd puts twbb in his top ten films of all time.
May as well have said that McDonalds is among the worst food I've ever eaten and that's coming from someone who loves to eat sandwiches filled with my own shit and cum.
>>
>>63040292
But wasn't the same criticism used at the time by well know reviews?
I might be misremembering but think he said Scorsese was a big influence on him at the time.
>>
File: vhsstory.png (998 KB, 2040x4374) Image search: [Google]
vhsstory.png
998 KB, 2040x4374
>You will never relive the greentext that was 4chan's own Boogie Nights
>>
>>63040370
You don't like there will be blood?
Are you fucking kidding?
>>
>>63040572
Reminder that if the film you like is able to enable those with juvenile tastes then you are also juvenile.
>>
>>63040643

What about films like Lawrence of Arabia and Aguirre, the wrath of gods? I enjoyed those when I was 14. Does that mean they are bad?

Your logic is objectively shit
>>
>>63040643
>Reminder that if the film you like is able to enable those with juvenile tastes then you are also juvenile.
I take it English isn't you first language. I have no power over what others like. A lot of idiots like goodfellas.
>>
>>63040292
tbf he has a blatant Raging Bull tribute scene at the end and the same basic story arc
>>
Put Scorsese and Altman in a blender and Boogie Nights comes out.
>>
>>63040723
>Does that mean they are bad?
Certainly means they are entry level with inherently gives them a low ceiling of artistic respectability.
>>63040753
>A lot of idiots like goodfellas.
Yeah and what does it say about Scorcese that he made a film that could be enjoyed by idiots.
>>
>>63040822
That anyone can like them which was also Hitchcock's aim.
>>
>>63040803
>Put Scorsese and Altman in a blender
and then pour the result into the trash
>>
>>63040316
>the truth is boring
>>
>>63040887
If these directors made films that destroyed the unsophisticated rather than letting them bask happily in their ignorance then we'd live in a far better cinematic landscape. Not everyone is qualified for cinema. Not everyone deserves to be able to watch a film. Fucking destroy them at the root so we live in a more advanced society. Don't destroy your art just to enable the degenerates.
>>
>>63040800

also the Philip Seymour Hoffman "I'm a fucking idiot" scene is taken almost directly from the Raging Bull scene with La Motta in the prison cell in the dark. PTA ripped the same movie for two different scenes. A bold plagiarizer to be sure.
>>
>>63040822
So by that same logic if a child or an idiot happens too like shakespeare that makes his work less artistic.
>>
>>63039584
It's kinda shitty tbqh
>MUH 70s
>>
>>63041016
If the work was genuinely good art then a child or idiot wouldn't be able to like it.
>>
>>63039584

> shameless Scorsese knockoff

Scorsese is a hack.
>>
>>63040954
Bait.
>>
>>63040572
I just rewatched it yesterday, it truly is amazing. Might be my absolute favorite
>>
File: Vincent_Willem_van_Gogh_128.jpg (582 KB, 2024x2531) Image search: [Google]
Vincent_Willem_van_Gogh_128.jpg
582 KB, 2024x2531
>>63041057
>>
>>63041058
In what way?
>>
>>63039584

YOU GOT THE TOUCH
YOU GOT THE POWAAAAAH

YEAH
>>
It's a great movie but there's something really lifeless about it. It doesn't leave me with something to think about afterward and it doesn't deliver many striking emotional moments but maybe that's just me.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.