[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this so underrated? why didn't it perform so wel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 5
File: 220px-Assassination_poster.jpg (16 KB, 220x326) Image search: [Google]
220px-Assassination_poster.jpg
16 KB, 220x326
Why is this so underrated?
why didn't it perform so well?

The cinematography, music and acting are incredible. Wish i had sat down and seen it sooner. Easily one of the best i've seen in a while.

>That train scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQYyamoydc
>>
This is the most overrated underrated thing ever.
>>
>>63034095
Long name.
Movies with short,easy to remember names tend to preform well at the box office.
>>
this and kingdom of heaven deserved so much better
>>
>>63034213
It will always be overshadowed by No Country and There Will Be Blood, despite being the best of the three.
>>
>>63034095

How is it underrated when the army of teenagers on the internet all think it's a 10/10?

If anything it's overrated you dimwit fuckhead.
>>
>>63034270
Kingdom of heaven is my favorite movie of all time tb.h
>>
>>63034270
Kingdom of Heaven gets as much as it deserves. The lead character is a charisma-less Mary Sue and the film cycles through 2 dozen supporting characters to cover it up
>>
>>63034301
>select few people who actually watched it appreciate it.
>Majority haven't even heard of it.

>IT'S OVER-RATED U DUMB FUCKWIT.
>>
>>63034314
>im a fucking retarded faggot and cant feel for any character because im autistic
>>
>>63034301
The internet is not real life, most people can't even remember the title let alone sit through a three hour movie.
>>
>>63034095
It was the best homoerotic western drama of the 2000's.

Seriously though, it was a really good film.
>>
>>63034374
pls tell me there is no fag shit
>>
>>63034276
this
>>
Music is good. Cinematography is good. Length drives a lot of audience away. Epilogue was the best part desu
>>
>>63034397
there really isn't.
>>
>>63034449
>dick checking out fords dick in the bath

Eh, there's a bit.
>>
>>63034397
It's there, but it's understated.
>>
Too long. Should have been edited down. Movie is a text book case of the importance of good editing.
>>
>>63034474
Nope, if anything the ending suffers slightly because they had to cut it down. The four hour cut needs to see the light of day.
>>
>>63034458
>dick checking out fords dick in the bath
what?
>>
>>63034474
You're aware the movie, is unique in the sense that nothing really 'happens' throughout it right, except for the end result, as hinted upon by the title and the fact everyone knows how it 'ends'.

You're also aware that, the longevity (which didn't even feel that long during watching) really helps to solidify the weird relationship between the brothers and Jesse. A mix of respect and pure fear. Ford's dissapointment that he feels his 'hero' was just full of bullshit, only to get small hints throughout that this 'legend' is in fact legit. (His presence causing people to fucking breaking down in front of him, cocking his gun the second ford even thinks of getting out of bed).

If it was shorter, we wouldn't get a sense of bond between them, and it would make the end result, which is powerful with the music, Casey's/Rockwells acting showing their inner conflict. Completely nullified.

stick to 1 1/2 hour popcorn shit.
>>
File: Tight Dick Playa.jpg (68 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
Tight Dick Playa.jpg
68 KB, 852x480
>>63034526
>>
>>63034526
The part about him having "a big dick for a squirrely little fella".
>>
>>63034569
that scene was about as gay as giving your bro a bj
>>
It's boring as fuck.
>>
>>63034526
Dick liddil tells Ford while he's having a bath outside about his 'deal' with cummins.

>Boy you got a big ol' pecker for such a lil squirrel
>>
>>63034589
I didn't think that scene was particularly gay, but you're kidding yourself if there wasn't some sexual tension between Bob and Jesse. It's not even subtext.
>>
File: jesse james death.webm (3 MB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
jesse james death.webm
3 MB, 700x300
>There would be no eulogies for Bob, no photographs of his body would be sold in sundries stores, no people would crowd the streets in the rain to see his funeral cortege, no biographies would be written about him, no children named after him, no one would ever pay twenty-five cents to stand in the rooms he grew up in.
>>
>>63034645
Wasn't there a scene with Dick turning his attention to a little girl as well?.. I think he was just a predator in general.

Also, i didn't catch any sexual tension between Bob and Jesse.. it was pure admiration, on Bob's part. And Jesse' being curious about him.
>>
>>63034645

bob wanted to be jesse

jesse thought bob was a creepy weirdo

wouldnt call it sexual tension
>>
>>63034657
The music makes that scene.
>>
>>63034645
Yeah, this is mainly what I was referring to.

>>63034671
Bob is pretty clearly infatuated with Jesse, far past the point of harmless curiosity. And Jesse allowed it, because he loved being admired.
>>
>>63034671

yeah dick was tickling the little girl on the swings
>>
>>63034704
>jesse thought bob was a creepy weirdo

Did he?
i thought it was more
"I'm loosing all my friends, i can't trust anyone anymore. it's changing who i am, and yet this kid thinks i'm the best thing since sliced bread. Oh wait, he likes me so much that he literally wants to be like me and is willing to kill me to have a taste of my glory. Whatever, i'll let him kill me, he's kind of alright. I can't keep living this way anyway.
>>
>>63034725
>And Jesse allowed it, because he loved being admired.
I always see Jesse really annoyed by Bob and his fandom.
>>
>>63034671
>>63034704
I'd like to submit to the court for your approval exhibit 3B: the scene where Bob is spying on Jesse bathing himself and he tells him to knock it off.
>>
>>63034645
are you a woman?
>>
>>63034749

i saw it more like "this guy wants to be me so much that hes crazy enough to kill me in trying to do so and ima not only let him do it but manipulate him into doing it because thats the only way i get out of this life im tired of anyway, a winner"

they were both motivated by selfish reasons
>>
>>63034788
He wasn't gay for Jesse, he studied Jesse even to his most inconsequential movement. Bob even wanted to bathe the same way Jesse did.

Same thing happened in the scene where Bob lays down in Jesse's bend and caresses the pillows.
>>
>>63034367
Nah he's 100% correct. I really enjoy Kingdom of Heaven, but the main character's only purpose is to be a mouthpiece for the creator's viewpoints.
>>
>>63034788
That was Bob trying to see if he could sneak up on Jesse.. He even says he thought nobody could 'get the jump' on Jesse James. It actually starts Bob's disappointment as he begins to believe the stories were bullshit. Then, as we see later. Jesse' was very much the real deal.
>>
>>63034788

this

>Can't figure out, if you wanna be like me or you wanna -be- me.
>Bob was sent away cordially the next day.
>>
This movie sucked. Cinematography was great, but not enough to save how boring and long it was.
>>
>>63034749
>>63034752
That's the brilliance of this movie. Bob is a creep but he's also genuine and sincere, especially in his devotion to Jesse. Jesse seemingly loathes Bob most of the time but he's so alone that he tolerates his company. Jesse's paranoia and demeanor meant that no one else can be around him without being iced out or getting killed. Bob admires him too much to care.
>>
>>63034893
ADHD is a hell of a condition.
>>
>>63034752
He acted that way, but then he'd go and let Bob continue to hang around. Jesse had a insatiable need to loved and admired, and nobody did so more than Bob.
>>
>>63034908
Good points, I don't know if Jesse Loathes Bob though - for a start he introduced him to his family, and his children. Secondly, he gifted him a gun, and Bob was legitimately (despite the tension) happy to receive it, his face lights up like a fucking Christmas tree.

The loathing part, is the 'i'm not being myself' kind of stuff he was talking about. There's Jesse.. and then there's Paranoid Jesse. They act completely differently.
>>
>>63034893
I think teletubies are more in your alley.
>>
File: 1385283432939.png (80 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1385283432939.png
80 KB, 259x194
>/tv/ discussing a film from 07 calmly and expressing good points from differing opinions, even about the possibility of homosexual undertones without for the most part resorting to childish baiting/replies.

bizarro /tv/.
>>
>>63034797
>>63034829
>>63034873
Guys, I'm not going to go as far as to say that you're in denial, but a movie isn't made any less amazing by having a slight homosexual undertone. It's explicitly referenced >>63034892
>>
>homosexual tension

Men back then wasn't so fucking insecure like today's men
>>
>>63035028
you are retarded
>>
>>63035028
having differing opinions on the subject doesn't mean i think it's any less of a movie. I just think you're confusing admiration and curiosity for attraction (sexually).
>>
>>63035011
Now you ruined it, you nigger faggot.
>>
>>63034893
It's an acquired taste and it gets better and better with each re-viewing.
>>
>>63035054
Same
>>
>>63035054
The "Bob in Jesse's bed" scene pretty much says it all.
>>
>>63035032
This, what the fuck is with the "homosexual undertones" discussion going on here. Dick fucked every chick he crossed paths with, Jesse was happily married, and Ford ended up marrying a woman. There's no gay stuff going on, because not one of the characters was a homosexual.

I'm amazed at this thread, are you all folks closet cases? And who was the insecure faggot that even started this discussion? Stop being so fucking pathetic people.
>>
>>63034966
I think that the movie objectively presents Bob as a difficult person to like and be around. He's always uncomfortably on edge and trying too hard to impress people.
>>
>>63035129
D E N I A L
E
N
I
A
L

>>63034892
>>63034892
>>63034892
>>63034892
>>
>whore marries your father for the money
>your friend fucks her
>try to avenge your old kek dad
>get killed by an autist

being wood hite must have been awful
>>
>>63035129
they mean ford's obsession with james you autist
>>
>>63035197
If I'm in denial, how come I didn't noticed any of these shit you people are talking about.
>>
>>63035128
Did you watch the film?
he was trying to BE Jesse James.
>>
It's not particularly good I find.

Just really high production value. Something about its 'dreamlike' state rubs me off wrong.

The voiceover narration was clearly put in by production company to make it more accessible.

The ending is incredibly rushed.

Should've been 50% fame 50%infame
>>
>>63035268

the narration is great
>>
>>63034406
Nah they are not.

NCFOM and TWBB don't drop the ball with their narrative and red line at the last 40 minutes.

>>63034374
Brokeback Mountain was better movie than this anyway.
>>
>>63035256
It's kind of gay to love someone so much that you think they are perfect enough to emulate in every way.
>>
>>63035248
because you aren't an idiot.
>>
How does Killing Them Softly hold up?
>>
>>63035197
Admiration ≠ Attraction
>>
>>63035241
Being obsessed with someone doesn't mean you want to fuck her. You can be obsessed with someone that doesn't even live anymore. Have you ever read Napoleon's notes of books of historical figures he obsessed with? Almost every great intellectual/artist/scientist, etc.. in recorded history had an obsession with a previous one (for better or worse).
Let's not forget Ford fucking killed Jesse James, you don't kill people you love.
>>
>>63035289
The ending is rushed due to executive meddling, but it sticks the landing hard. All three of the movies have merit, but Assassination has the most going on and is the most beautifully presented, aside from being more relevant to the time it came out.
>>
>>63035284
It's so tarded and overly cheesy. you can play it as fourth wall breaking meta addition to the 'fame' and 'defame' part but still weak as shit.
>>
>>63035322
I know I ain't.
>>
Once again, teenage redditors showing they have no idea what underrated means. Why aren't these bootlickers getting banned?
>>
>>63035354
The narrative of fame is good in JJ but it drops so hard when they get to Robert's part with defame and it's almost trailer-like. It really cripples the experience.
>>
>>63035404
>he doesn't like the epilogue
>>
File: 1444425449333.jpg (22 KB, 385x382) Image search: [Google]
1444425449333.jpg
22 KB, 385x382
>>63034095
>>
Jesse James was more of a coward than Robert Ford was. My father was riding a train to California. Jesse James held it up. My father with one of the people that Jesse James forced to face the wall, and put his hands in the air. He shot my gunless father in the back because that's the kind of man Jesse James was-- a mean, dirty killer.
>>
>>63035470
le picture looks le little dusty...
>>
>>63035622
You could almost say he was an outlaw.
>>
>>63034095
The title is too mutherfuckin long, as simple as that.
I love the film but can never remember the thing.
>>
So.. .who did you like best ? jesse ? or Robert ?
>>
>>63036012
In terms of what? Acting?
Casey made the film.
>>
>that scene where jesse holds a knife to bobs throat and fucks with his head

one of my favourite ever scenes

absolutely amazing
>>
>>63036125
As a whole.
>>
>>63035870
Come on now
>>
>>63034095
Poetry dont work on whores OP.
>>
This was the first movie I had seen Casey Aflfleck in.

dudes got talent
>>
i love this movie to death

amazing atmosphere
>>
>>63036720
Watch Gone Baby Gone, too
>>
>>63035248
>>63035322
>>63035373
obvious samefag
>>
>>63035622

As his career draws to an end, Jesse James becomes aware of the impossibility of facing an increasingly vast army of sheriffs, federal agents and Pinkerton men. He senses that, inevitably, one of his gang will in any case sell him out for a fat reward. Unwilling to give the lawmen that satisfaction, James embraces his own death and subtly cultivates the mercurial attentions of the most obviously cringing and cowardly of his associates: 20-year-old Robert Ford. With the taunts and whims of a lover, he encourages Ford's envious, murderous fascination, and grooms him as his own killer, so that his own legend will be pristine after his death. He engineers a character-assassination of Ford, and the title, knowingly, gets it precisely the wrong way around
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.