[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I find Ingmar Bergman's movies to be really confusing and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: ingmar-bergman.jpg (49 KB, 567x367) Image search: [Google]
ingmar-bergman.jpg
49 KB, 567x367
I find Ingmar Bergman's movies to be really confusing and I have a hard time enjoying them. Is there anything I need to know about first? Is there anything I can do to help understand his language? Or should I just wait till I'm older and have seen more films?
>>
Persona is one of his worst.
Check out cries and whispers or the magician first
>>
>>63027327
Watch Skammen and the Virgin Spring, less confusing than persona and still fucking great
>>
>>63028422
>Persona is one of his worst.
Elaborate, pleeeaseee
>>
>>63027327
I wouldn't say it's you being older helps necessarily, if the movies doesn't connect with you, that's fine then just move on to watch something else.
>>
>>63027327
I love the shit out of them
Maybe it helps that I'm swedish, but I don't think so

One of the few true geniuses of cinema

also I'm 21 if it matters
>>
>>63028853
or maybe it helps some
>>
>>63028853
>but I don't think so
Bergman is literal GOAT director, everybody can and should enjoy him.
>>
The Seventh Seal is his only great film, but it's one of the best films ever.
>>
Watch it, then read synopsis/analysis on the internet, then pretend you actually enjoyed it.

that is what everyone else does.
>>
>>63029267
>rationalization
>>
>>63029210
I liked Wild Strawberries even more
>>
you basically have to read a bunch of philosophy and or be an autistic depressed Swede

I like the 7th Seal Tho, less womyn talky talky
>>
>>63029210
Spotted the Redditor
>>
>>63028853
Clearly, it helps. Many of his films put a very heavy emphasis on the visuals but they are also very talky. A non-native speaker will have to focus on the subtitles which will inevitably make the experience less enjoyable.
>>
>>63029340
Bergman movies usually cover themes that are tackled by the great entry level philosophers (Kant, Schopenhauer, Sartre) and obviously, the novels of Dostoievsky. I've read some of these back in high school a few years ago, nothing overly complex.
>>
Persona is the only one that could be called experimental, all the rest of his films are basically filmed plays.
>>
>women are crazy: the movie

is there anything else to get from that flick? bsides the visuals, that were top notch.
oh and the girl talking about the beach sex was hot as fuck it made me diamonds in like 3 seconds.

still, anything else to get from it?
>>
File: 1446506636217.jpg (66 KB, 615x922) Image search: [Google]
1446506636217.jpg
66 KB, 615x922
>that /ss/ story
>>
>>63029210
>>63029323
>wild strawberries
confirmed better movie. it's an art film but really easy to enjoy and get into. you don't have to have patrician taste to appreciate bergman.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot on a very philistine level but I don't think I got Hour of the Wolf. /lit/ please tell me I need to do to push my IQ above double digits.
>>
>>63031515
>please tell me I need to do to push my IQ above double digits.

Understand that those others who you think are cleverer are you or more attentive film watchers aren't all that different and definitely not better than you. They usually just know how to formulate their observations and have a bigger basis of knowledge.
Watch films for what you can get out of them. You shouldn't however just sit back and not invest any brain power into the films you watch. But don't worry if you don't "get" a film, just keep watching films. Otherwise it just stops being fun.
Just keep watching movies and it will come to you.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.