[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Man in the High Castle General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.jpg (122 KB, 2139x1287) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
122 KB, 2139x1287
I feel like there's been little to no discussion of this on /tv/, so what't the verdict? What did you guys think?

I thought it was pretty good, I'm a massive fan of alt-history. Acting is alright, and the story is pretty out-there, I don't know what they're going for with the show because it's vastly different from the novel.

I'm guessing it will be dealing with some time-travel or parallel universe nonsense in the end though.
>>
I thought it was okay. Interesting concept, very good atmosphere and general "feel" to the show, but the main characters sucked and the whole story about the films was confusing. Also the writing seemed poor sometimes.

6/10
>>
File: gumbo_map.png (40 KB, 1427x628) Image search: [Google]
gumbo_map.png
40 KB, 1427x628
Like all of Philip K. Dick's works, great ideas but that's about it. It could have been great but from the start the show was doomed.
>>
>>63018130
the Japanese were insanely viscous and evil (culturally, a lot of them still are) they compared the non Japanses to wood and sent them to 'lumber mills', They made a sport of the rape of Nanking in their newspapers. They were ruthless and armed to the teeth with suicidal soldiers

Their depiction in Man in the High Castle is laughably tame. The Nazi side is spot on, Americans did identify with the Nazis and there were American/Nazi groups who thought of America as better off in a fascist state.
>>
I liked it but it would've made a better miniseries. Milking the plot for more than one season is unnecessary. The source material was just fine without needing to add resistance gun fights, double agent intrigue, depictions of Nazi family life etc.

Some embellishment and world building is fine, just don't pretend you're going to turn a PKD novel into the next Breaking Bad or something.
>>
>>63018784
The book was shit tho.
>>
>>63018812
Your opinion about literature is shit tho.
>>
>>63018130
It's not alt-history though, it's fantasy
>>
>>63018387
I don't watch this show or know the book. How does Japan occupy/influence land 100x the size of itself? Wouldn't their resources be stretched so thin that any one country could stage a revolt, and in the ensuing mess another could do the same while Japan is occupied?
>>
>>63018827
>scifi genre shit
>literature

baka
>>
>>63018910
they weren't much smaller than germany
>>
>>63018932
>thinks TMITHC has anything more than passing scifi elements
>thinks genre works aren't acceptable literature because they aren't canonized
It's like 2016, brah. Not 1965. And I highly recommend you try reading the book.
>>
>>63018910
Collaborators. Look at Vichy France for example.

That said, people would fight to the death vs. Japan, because the Japs were far more brutal than the Nazis in WWII.
>>
>>63018484

You must remember PKD was a closet weeaboo, BIG into Asian thought and whatnot.
>>
>>63018876
You realize any imagined version of history that did not occur is innately fantastical, right? I'm not sure what you were trying to prove in your post.
>>
>>63019028

He was also a Krautaboo and was able to read many primary sources in German when he was researching the novel.
>>
File: DickRobot.jpg (88 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
DickRobot.jpg
88 KB, 550x413
>>63018130
At the end of the novel they ask the I Ching why it wrote the Grasshopper Lies Heavy, and its response implied that the novel was the truth. However, the Allies do not win the war in Grasshopper the same way the real historical Allies did, so the greater implication is that we, the readers, are in a fictional universe.
>>
>>63019069

Finally, don't forget his ultimate inspiration...in fact, IT wrote the book for him.

The IChing.
>>
>>63019114

.yfw pic related robot went missing a few years back

.yfw in 200 years, a man that looks like PKD will be found wandering the streets of Neo Chicago.

>yfw you realize the damn robot gains sentience.
>>
>>63019114
>>63019280
>yfw PKD used the I Ching to write the novel
2meta4me

This kind of thing was his bread and butter though. In fact, the majority of his work after 1974 was devoted to expounding on this type of metaphysical link between the events of his life and those of his novels. It's fascinating to hear him talk about it in his "Exegesis".
>>
>>63018876
It's not words! It's letters in recognizable sequence!
>>
>>63019357

>It's fascinating to hear him talk about it in his "Exegesis".
I heard even attempting to try to read this is just waiting for a "my mind if full of fuck" moment?
>>
>>63018966
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Who is this? Jason is this you again ? German Reich would take all of Europe under its wings, they would have more than enough people to control no only all of Europe, Lebenstraum but probably everything else past the mountains of Ural, Japan would barely manage to control some of China, they would have their hands full with Pacific Islands and Australia
>>
So was the man in the high castle Hitler?
>>
>>63019512
I have it on audiobook and it is. I wouldn't recommend even attempting it unless you've read: The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, and everything he wrote after 1970. That's a baseline. A formal education in philosophy would also help, as I don't have one and that's where the Exegesis loses me. Still fascinating, though. At the very least from a literary point of view and perhaps a psychological one.
>>
Did anyone get hit with feels when Smith got his bro arrested?
He came off as a really sympathetic character
>>
DUDE SUCK MY DICK OR YOU WONT GET THE JOB

LMAOOO
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.