[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of Rashomon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: Rashomon.jpg (13 KB, 186x271) Image search: [Google]
Rashomon.jpg
13 KB, 186x271
What does /tv/ think of Rashomon?
>>
I think therefore I am.
>>
>>63010547
it's ok
>>
too old
>>
>>63010547
It's ok.
>>
>>63010547
What did you think OP?
>>
Very good but insanely overhyped. Not among Kurosawa's best.
>>
>>63010547
Every Kurosawa movie, based on just cinematography alone, is better than 99% of every single movie released since. You can argue whether he was the best, you can argue whether he even deserves top ten, but you can't argue that.

So by definition, it's at the very least, great.
>>
I thought it was a bit overdone. The whole "4 different perspectives" thing doesn't really work since the stories are so different. 3 of the people had to be flat out lying. The end with the baby restoring his faith in humanity (as if the story he told was shocking enough to lose it) was a bit silly too.

Beautiful cinematography though, it never fails to look amazing
>>
>>63010581
I enjoyed the themes it dealt with but I honestly expected something.. better, especially because of it's reputation
>>
ew black and white lol gtfo gramps
>>
Quintessential kuckcore.
>>
Rank Kurosawa's films
>>
>>63010807
>Ikiru
>High and Low
>Drunken Angel
>The Lower Depths
>Dodes’ka-den

>the rest

I haven't seen Seven Samurai, Yojimbo or Madadayo.
>>
>>63010547
pretty boring wasnt even any fighting
>>
Pretty sure the majority of /tv/ haven't seen it
>>
>>63010807
Ran
Ikiru
Dersu Uzala
Rashomon
Dodes'ka-den
Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
The Hidden Fortress
Throne of Blood

everything else

Kagemusha
>>
My opinion changes every time I watch it.
>>
It's no Yojinbo.
>>
I remember hating it.
>>
>>63010807
Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
Ikiru
Rashomon
Sanjuro
Ran
Throne of Blood

I have many Kurosawa flicks on my backlog but I'm taking a break from him.
>>
>>63010650
>as if the story he told was shocking enough to lose it
Certainly enough for 1950 Japan.
>>
>>63010807
High and Low is the best
7 Samurai second
The rest are kinda overrated tbqh
>>
It's a classic and is great but Kurosawa did better.
>>
>>63010632
This. Nora Inu is Kurosawa's best, followed by the Hidden Fortress

Also, don't expect neo-/tv/ to watch films before 1990.
>>
Rashomon is great. Not my absolute favorite by Kurosawa, that's gotta be RAN, but it's still an incredible film.
>>
>>63010547
what was it about again?
>>
>>63010807
High and Low
Rashomon
Stray Dog
Ran
Sanjuro
Throne of Blood
Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
Ikiru
Drunken Angel
>>
>>63010807
>High & Low
>Ikiru
>Seven Samurai
>The Bad Sleep Well
>Throne of Blood
>Rashomon
>Yojimbo
>Stray Dog
>Drunken Angel
>I Live in Fear
>The Idiot
>Sanjuro
>The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail
>The Quiet Duel
>Dodes'ka-den
>The Lower Depths
>Madadayo
>The Hidden Fortress
>Scandal
>One Wonderful Sunday
>Sanshiro Sugata 2
>Sanshiro Sugata
>The Most Beautiful
>No Regrets for Our Youth

Haven't seen the rest.
>>
>>63011567

That's not the way I remember it
>>
One of those films that's more remembered for its innovation than its quality
>>
>>63011561
But Rashomon is his best, maybe second only to Seven Samurai. It embodies perfectly the spirit of cinema.
>>
>tfw you witnessed a real life rashomon and the guy totally did do that shit
>>
>>63011633
You think a couple people killing each other over a girl is more traumatizing than anything in WW2?
>>
>>63015424
Thats not how I remember it
>>
>>63010650
Rashomon is the opposite of overdone.
>>
>>63015164
The Idiot sounds like such a bad idea. I wouldn't dare touching any Dostoievsky' novels let alone adapting them to a completely distinct culture...
>>
>>63010547
One of his best. But, the contrarians will tell you otherwise. A narrative concept like that had never been tackled in a film before.
>>
>>63010987
>>63014522
>>63015164

>High and Low at the top!

It is sincerely one of his best. I like how someone famous for period pieces and melodramas makes one procedural that is more intense than most of Hitchcock's stuff.
>>
>>63015675
Luckily for me, I was able to enjoy the movie, because I had not read the book.
>>
>>63016910
You should read it then, one of his supreme works in my opinion.
>>
I can't remember which one it was but it was about an angry swordguy and the entire movie was just him killing everyone ever. There was like a little side story of a bunch of heroes collecting to kill him but he ends up making so many enemies he dies fighting them in a burning building.
It was really cool. I was confused by the swordfights because I thought they were exactly like the original star wars fights, then I learned that Star wars copied kurosawa.
Personally I can't even imagine the kind of genius that went into those films. I don't think its possible to appreciate them fully anymore because the culture has changed so much but I can definitely say that films from that era have a magical, substantive quality to them that you don't see in todays films.
Todays films usually pump the music into every scene to give you a cue 'this is the sad part feel sad' and when you watch an old fight scene like those bar fights in Shane it almost seems really boring without the music.
>>
An absolute masterpiece, Kurosawa was a master of his medium
>>
>>63019345
Throne of Blood is what you're probably thinking of. It's a macbeth adaptation.
>>
File: High.And.Low.jpg (50 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
High.And.Low.jpg
50 KB, 1280x544
>>63016499
>more intense than most of Hitchcock's stuff

It was a pleasant surprise.
>>
>>63015219
Sweet reference brah.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.