[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best book to movie interpretation? >balls to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13
File: Dracula.jpg (50 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Dracula.jpg
50 KB, 720x480
Is this the best book to movie interpretation?

>balls to the walls crazy sets and costumes
>dat insane editing
>hilariously obvious sound cues and music
>blood fucking everywhere
>ADD pacing
>buttmad book readers aftermath
>coked up Coppola
>van "ja" helsing
>harkers hair

Also:

>Keanu trying his hardest acting face
>based Oldman doing his thing
>Monica Belluci tits outta nowhere
>hilariously over the top accents all around

I swear the only way I could have had a better experience watching this was if I got drunk or high.

9/10
>>
One last bump.
>>
There are no other movies like Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula.

It's one of my all-time favorites.
>>
>>63007884
I wouldn't say the best, but it's up there tbqhwy famalam
>>
>>63008120

Couldn't agree more. Seriously though. I've read the book and went in with zero expectation. Had a blast.

Am now reading up on how they did the tech effects, they really went an extra mile to have no CGI and any other wizardry besides practical effects and tech. Hands down impressive.

>The scene when Harker is shaving and Dracula approaches him from behind without a reflection in the mirror was shot by a classic technique as old as cinema itself. The actor with his back to the camera is actually Reeves' double, not Reeves himself, and the 'mirror' is simply a hole in the wall, with the real Reeves standing on the other side in a portion of the set, thus when the hand touches the shoulder of the double there is no reflection to be seen because there is literally no mirror.

Dunno why do people hate the movie? Because it didn't stick to the book as a 1:1 copy?
>>
>>63008199
I've only rarely seen people express hatred for it, and that was here. You can always find somebody to hate anything on 4chan. I know some people didn't like the departures from the book, but I think most Dracula fans are willing to forgive a little artistic license. And it's still one of the most faithful adaptations.

That said, Keanu is hilariously bad in it.
>>
"Mary Shelly's Frankenstein," directed by Kenneth Brannagh (I think), was a somewhat similar adaptation of a classic horror novel. Rich period sets and costuming, good atmosphere, and all that. The Monster's look isn't true to the novel, but no movie has ever gotten him right, and this one at least makes him intelligent and articulate like he's supposed to be.
>>
Plus Tom Waits as Renfield.
>>
Imagine a 2016 remake of this.

>zero blood
>no tits nor sex scenes
>strong female lead who don't need no Count
>CGI in every scene
>>
File: 29DDJ01_Dracula-Face_04.jpg (52 KB, 626x597) Image search: [Google]
29DDJ01_Dracula-Face_04.jpg
52 KB, 626x597
The movie always interested me because Dracula had such a... "divine" quality. Like one of the old Greek stories where a hero with more balls than common sense picks a fight with a fucking god and has to spend the rest of their life pursuing even the smallest victory against them.

You know, you had the old Christopher Lee movies and he didn't age, he could hypnotize people if they make eye contact with him, if anyone was stupid enough to try to fight him 1v1 during the night they get rekt, but he's so otherwise vulnerable - the sleep, the stakes, the sunlight, etc.

But this version of Dracula had a certain horrible ability to just go "FUCK REALITY," turn into any form he so chose, for seduction or battle, command and cloud the minds of everyone around him, and near the end when they think they've got the drop on him he just stretches his arm out and he wills the fucking sun to set prematurely.

By the end of the journey, it really let me feel that this group, even Keanu and his shitty acting, were so bound by brotherhood and vengeance that they were willing to run straight into the jaws of this almost certain suicide mission - even though it's nearly hopeless for them under any circumstances, because Dracula was so far beyond human capabilities.

That's just a stream of thought rant, does it make any sense?
>>
File: bramdrac-still.jpg (22 KB, 480x273) Image search: [Google]
bramdrac-still.jpg
22 KB, 480x273
It's one of my favorite movies, it's freaking amazing.

>dem real old-school hollywood sets
>dat special make-up
>dat coppola doing a 10/10 job
>dem sexy women all over the place

The only silly thing was Keanu's acting and accent.
>>
>>63007884
I hated this movie as a child because it terrified the fuck outta 5 year old me. Twenty years later and it's probably one of my favorite movies of all time, based on the story, visuals, and that soundtrack. Fuck Keanu's shitty accent though.
>>
>>63008634

Kinda got a feeling that Dracula wanted to die at the end. Or just to be with his woman alone there chilling. Good point on him connecting to the old Greek stories, something like that clicked with me too but I couldn't quite place it.

Dracula set in modern time, when?
>>
Was Keanu's accent worse in this or Devil's Advocate
>>
Dario Argento's movies, especially Suspiria and Opera, have a somewhat similar tone to them -- very grandiose and Gothic.
>>
>>63008735
>>63008882

His entire accent was made out of dropping "R"s and speaking in a lower tone. That's it.

>why.jpg
>>
>>63007884
You left out

>hot redhead gets fucked by a werewolf
>wynona see through bouncy tits

It's pretty fucking great. This and interview with a vampire are the only vamp movies I like,well blade is pretty good for cape shit.
>>
>>63007884
It is one of my favorite adaptations, period.
>>
File: God_Wills_It.jpg (258 KB, 640x357) Image search: [Google]
God_Wills_It.jpg
258 KB, 640x357
>>63008634
It makes perfect sense, and I agree. Dracula is super formidable in this and the vampire hunters really seem hard put to match him.

>>63008882
lel, yeah. I had nightmares after the first time I watched it as a kid. Good stuff. And I love the score. It's one of my favorites.
>>
>>63009023
>that armor

Yes smity, I want you to make my plate look like a latex fetish suit,I don't care if it cost extra just do it!!
>>
File: jack.jpg (77 KB, 700x423) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
77 KB, 700x423
>>63009003

Yes, the werewolf scene was completely 10/10 especially since in the book that scene was described as a really subtle, eerie one with a supernatural feel. Red eyes, black figures, shadows, graveyard, middle of the night etc.

Meanwhile in the movie there's full blown beast action going on.

>yfw this will never be made into a movie

Hold me /tv/.
>>
File: dracula-wolf-thing-hoo-boy.jpg (85 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
dracula-wolf-thing-hoo-boy.jpg
85 KB, 500x487
>>
>>63008930
I say this. It's more distracting. Though I've started to wonder if he deliberately used an older, stiffer style of acting to go along with Coppola using classic filming techniques.
>>
>>63007884

one of my favorite movies of all time op, that fucking memorable soundtrack, those victorian babes

the only mediocre thing in it is keanu like others have said
>>
>>63008199
Damn, does that mean they really covered a person in rats and had him walk around and collapse?
>>
>>63009161
ha
>>
>>63008199
>The actor with his back to the camera is actually Reeves' double, not Reeves himself, and the 'mirror' is simply a hole in the wall, with the real Reeves standing on the other side in a portion of the set, thus when the hand touches the shoulder of the double there is no reflection to be seen because there is literally no mirror.
Holy shit, that's impressive.
>>
BAHSTUD
>>
File: vlad-shishes-a-kebab.jpg (11 KB, 520x293) Image search: [Google]
vlad-shishes-a-kebab.jpg
11 KB, 520x293
>>63009108
Ain't nothin' better for slayin' Turks!
>>
>>63009114
Hey, if you watch Dracula, Near Dark, Lost Boys, Nosferatu, Blade, Interview with the Vampire, and The Queen of the Damned back-to-back, you've practically got Vampire: the Masquerade: the Movie.
>>
>>63007884
nope for me its harry potter 1
>>
>>63007884
>forgetting the cinematography by based Michael Ballhaus
>>
Dracula is an awful book though.
>>
>>63009702

Beware of STD's: The Book
>>
>>63007884
God no. I like the movie but it shits all over the book by making Dracula a sympathetic character
>>
>>63009667
>1931: Bela Lugosi plays Dracula
>1979: Bauhaus releases "Bela Lugosi's Dead"
>1992: Michael Ballhous films "Dracula"
It's like poetry.

>>63009702
It is pretty hard to get through.
>>
>>63009702
Fuck you
>>
>>63009788

I wish that was all it's problems.

Normal people don't write down entire conversations that they've had in their diary and even if they did why the fuck would the do it phonetically? It doesn't work as a literary device anyway it just makes yours story a chore to read.

The only interesting part of the book was Renfield and you don't spend anywhere near enough time with him.

Frankenstein is so much better.
>>
>>63009856
I think OP meant best as in best quality film, not most faithful interpretation famalam
>>
>>63010049
Dear God, I love Frankenstein. Those passages about traveling through the Alps, hnnnngh.
>>
File: 1435515897026.gif (372 KB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
1435515897026.gif
372 KB, 499x281
>>63009923

>muh classic

It's awful.
>>
File: JUST DRAC MY SHIT UP.jpg (6 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
JUST DRAC MY SHIT UP.jpg
6 KB, 300x225
Was this movie the last big role Carey Elwes had before Saw?

>Lord Arthur HOLMwood
>>
>>63010444
He was in Shadow of the Vampire. I wouldn't say it's a huge role, but sort of related.
>>
>>63007884

well when you look at it that way I guess it isn't so shitty. Hopkins was fine though.

Never understood the forced lesbianism
>>
>>63010558
Wow, I totally forgot he was in that.
>>
File: drac lucy mina.0.jpg (38 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
drac lucy mina.0.jpg
38 KB, 720x576
>>63010705
It was the 90s.
>>
>>63010753
A lot of people seem to forget Shadow of the Vampire for some reason, it's one of my favorite movies.
>>
>>63009856

this, and the whole love bullshit. I wish people would stop shoving their faggy feelings into vampire movies. Dracula came to the modern world to destroy and conquer, not charm hoes.

And then end when Keanu's girl keks him for the vile monster. Shoulda put a fucking bullet through her head.
>>
>>63009340
putin must be putting his on right now.
>>
>>63010853
Aw, she was just putting the monster down. She was still gonna marry Harker. Mina just wanted to play the field a little before she settled down, like Lucy did.
>>
File: rare_Russian_edition_Vlad.jpg (11 KB, 273x300) Image search: [Google]
rare_Russian_edition_Vlad.jpg
11 KB, 273x300
>>63010867
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.