[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone actually like this hipster piece of garbage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 7
File: 11168971_ori[1].jpg (205 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
11168971_ori[1].jpg
205 KB, 800x1200
Did anyone actually like this hipster piece of garbage?
>>
File: sage and hide.jpg (12 KB, 199x253) Image search: [Google]
sage and hide.jpg
12 KB, 199x253
>>63006447
>>
The r/movies IMDB "film buff" crowd are all over PTA's posturing meme play.
>>
What does hipster mean
>>
File: eli-sunday-there-will-be-blood.jpg (45 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
eli-sunday-there-will-be-blood.jpg
45 KB, 600x400
It's a classic.
>>
>>63006482

That's what I noticed. On the IMDB forums people come on and say "so what was the point? There was no story narrative." and then it's a circlejerk of
>you just aren't smart enough to get it
>it shows the evils of capitalism and Christianity you faux news watcher

etc etc
>>
>>63006482
Jesus, so you even know what you just said? I guess it must be hard to say real words with so many dicks in your mouth.
>>
I like the milkshake part.
>>
It's reddit trash but at least it's not tumblr
>>
>>63006447

Literally no reason to dislike this movie other than being a piece of shit contrarian.
>>
>>63006619

Hello reddit
>>
>>63006638
case in point
>>
>>63006566
I... Drink... Your... Milkshake! (slrrrrrrrrrrrrrpl)
>>
I really don't get the praise.

The end in particular was WFTLOLRANDUM.
>>
>>63006779

plebs like it because they think it's deep
>>
File: 4o4QS5Z.jpg (42 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
4o4QS5Z.jpg
42 KB, 500x371
>>63006638
embarrassing. Sorry if this movie wasn't unsuccessful or old enough for 22 year old self proclaimed film buffs to deem worthy. This fucking board.
>>
>>63006447
It's not hipster garbage, dad. It's the highest form of art possible and one of the best films of the 2000's.
>>
DDL's best performance too be c3bh
>>
>>63006842

*tips IMDB account*
>>
Op you just don't like it because you think it got too popular.
>>
>>63006447
Yes, it's one of the very few 10/10 movies of this century
Also, Day-Lewis' performance is one of the all time greats
>>
>>63006779
>WFTLOLRANDUM
are you seriously this retarded?
>>
>>63006957

Explain it then.
>>
>>63007194
>shits on movie
>needs in explained
No wonder you didn't like it,
>>
>>63007194
He can't and he won't because HE is in fact that one that is retarded.
>>
>>63006447
In my top ten desu

Love the way the numerous themes are revealed as Daniel's life progresses
>>
>>63006447

>"there will be blood"
>there isnt blood
>>
>>63007440
Yes there is. Lots of it.
>>
>>63006779
>him killing the only man who he hadn't yet exerted complete control over is "lolsorandom"

You are clinically retarded
>>
>>63007453

no there isnt
>>
>>63007483
Yep. Lots of it.
>>
>>63006928
Agreed
>>
>>63007500

ok friendo
>>
>>63007515
Ok.
>>
>>63006447
It's a shit film, I agree.
DDL being one of the most punchable actors too.
>>
>>63007334

See: >>63007359
>>
>>63006503
“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.
>>
>>63007693
Not him but he probably won't explain it because the ending is self explanatory. Literally one of the most straightforward parts of the movie.

Anyone who thinks the "I drink your milkshake" part is out of place probably didn't watch the whole movie or has the mindset of a 15 year old.
>>
>>63006779
He was pissed off about his son leaving him and took it out on a guy that's been antagonizing him the entire movie, which is a device used to reveal the depth of his mental breakdown and god-complex.
>>
I thought DDL performed well and the story was okay but it's not like the be all end all movie of the decade it was released in.
>>
>>63007815

>still not explaining the ending

I'm waiting.
>>
>>63007933

See >>63007829

Not surprised a guy who couldn't understand such a simple ending also can't read.
>>
>>63007773
>writes post arguing about using the term hipster
>sounds like a hipster

Next you're going to unironically use the word "trope" in a sentence.

Aren't you?

AREN'T YOU?
>>
>>63008017

Oh well that much was obvious. I thought there was an actual meaning to the ending besides him being a narcissistic psycho.

Guess it's just simple and retarded then.
>>
>>63008133
>>Oh well that much was obvious.
>I was just pretending to be retarded
:^)
>>
>>63006482
Go jerk off to spring Breakers faggot
>>
>>63008173

>le edgy psycho alcoholic man takes out his inner rage on someone else, close curtains

Bravo 10/10 give it an Oscar
>>
>>63008024
I don't get it. How does he sound like a hipster
>>
>>63006447
>hipster piece

Okay reddit...
“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian
>>
>>63006510
is that paul dano?
>>
>>63008308

hello reddit
>>
>>63008243
You're right, there should have been a Shyamalan twist where it turns out his boy was just a hallucination from inhaling gasoline.
>>
>>63006447
HORRIBLE POSTER
>That font
>chair leg is somehow fading out
JUST
>>
>>63007773
>>63008308
Muh pasta is stale as fuck
>>
>>63008243
So do you go into movies thinking there needs to be same crazy twist and/or a really deep metaphorical and moral ending that should change your outlook on life?

Sounds like you'd really enjoy Disney and Pixar flicks anon. :)
>>
nice b8 m8 i put it in my top 8 it was g8
>>
>>63008243
No mention of actors, sets, music, tone, mood, direction, dialogue

Sure sounds like you know a lot about film.
>>
>>63006447
Just finished watching actually and I'm not sure what to think. On one hand I was genuintely interested in some parts and thought the actors were great.

However I also got really bored at times and was kinda indifferent by the end. I don't know what to feel.
>>
Had a lot of filler

The movie is fucking great in the last 30 min. But has some uneccessary scenes like henry's plot.

No Country for Old Men is 2000-09 greatest movie, not this.
>>
>>63009960

What about The Prestige?
>>
>>63010003
Not even the best Nolan movie in that time period. And even Memento doesn't rank against actually good movies.
>>
>>63010057
fuck you. it was a thing of beauty.
>>
>>63010786
Tell that to your video game homeboard.
>>
A movie being, fundamentally, images and sounds, this was a fantastic movie.

Youre just a pleb.
>>
>>63006447
TWWB is one of these films that 16 year old filmbuffs claim as their favorite when they are still vulnerable to the capeshit sensibilities
>>
>>63011500
This. It's the Nolan of movies.
>>
>>63010003
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
How far we done fell /tv/.

How far we done fell.
>>
>>63009960
>But has some uneccessary scenes like henry's plot.

Fuck off
>>
>>63006447
I did. It tells an interesting story and Daniel Day Lewis is captivating
>>
TWBB really shows how amateur PTA is as a screenwriter. False starts everywhere, no character development on Plainview Jr. not to mention confusing the fuck out of the audience by not establishing that Paul Dano was playing 2 characters. I've watched this film with at least 6 people now and none of them caught on.

The soundtrack is also uncomfortable and did not fit the film's atmosphere.
>>
>>63006447
best movie of the 2000 decade to be quite honest

also,
There Will Be Blood is the best PTA
Boogie Nights is the most enjoyable PTA
>>
>>63012310
Boogie Nights is IMDB. Boogie Nights is capeshit. Boogie Nights is video games. Boogie Nights is Breaking Bad. Boogie Nights is reddit. Boogie Nights is Tarantino.

Inherent Vice, Punch Drunk Love and The Master are his top 3 by a fucking mile. When I think of Boogie Nights I just picture some fat kid with aspergers syndrome writhing around topless on the floor surrounded by empty hot pocket containers, screaming at his mother for buying him the wrong video game.

It's "muh mubie" and that phrase makes me convulse with rage.
>>
>>63012303
they did no effort to distinguish them, that almost ruined the movie cause I was so confused
>>
>>63012405
I agree Boogie Nights is a great film
>>
>>63012455
It's a movie.
>>
>>63012405
>the state of /tv/ in 2015

end your life immediately
>>
>>63012502
No. Boogie Nights is a Tarantino level empty "homage" made by a show off fanboy without an original thought in his head. It is memetic cinema through and through. A bad impersonation of a film.
>>
>>63012597
I don't care. I don't even like Boogie Nights. It's just.. you're an absolute retard lel. Get off /tv/ for a while you utter embarrassment
>>
>>63012716
Every moment you spent away from /tv/ is a betrayal upon cinema.
>>
Love the movie, amazing.

One question, why did the final scene take place in a bowling alley? I guess it had to take place somewhere, but seems extremely strange setting for it to happen there. Could easily just happen in his house or somewhere else.
>>
>>63012405
I really hope you're just pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>63012855
>but seems extremely strange setting for it to happen there. Could easily just happen in his house or somewhere else.
Because PTA is a fucking phony hack who wanted to make "le iconic scene". It's like asking why is there a kid throwing fireworks in that boogie nights scene. Because PTA wants to take Wes Anderson level quirky shortcuts to seeming artificially memorable.
>>
>>63012303
>>63012413
Maybe if you paid attention to what the fuck they were saying. I understood it the first time without having any knowledge about the movie before seeing it.

I do not, however, think it was necessary that they were twins. It adds nothing to the story.
>>
>>63012855
The simple explanation is that it is to show how wealthy Daniel has become, having bowling alleys with multiple lanes in your home in like 1920s or so is extremely rich.

But I think there might be a better explanation.
>>
I didn't get it. It was long as shit, ending made no sense. I guess I'm stupid. Someone explain it to me.
>>
>>63012899
what the fuck are you even saying. Just reread your post to yourself and realize how little it makes sense and how dumb you sound.
>>
>>63012899
it's time to stop posting friend
>>
>>63012910
Doesn't matter what your genius brain was thinking during your first watch of the movie.

It's poor writing.
>>
>>63012960
>I didn't understand it because I'm retarded so that must mean the writing is poor.
>>
File: Bronn-80s-43.jpg (91 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bronn-80s-43.jpg
91 KB, 1440x1080
>>63006447
>Hipster because it makes it clear that greed isn't a good thing
>>
>>63012855
basically what >>63012936 says

I just think 'why not?'.
>>
>>63012956
I'm saying that PTA is the king of affectation. You can see all the strings. You know how he wants people to react to this scene. He studies other "great" scenes and then tries to replicate them in a way that is completely inauthentic. Pretty much every film he has made is a bad impression of a better class of film making.
>>
I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!
>>
>>63013044
What the fuck does 'authentic' mean in this case?

Is the bowling alley a homage or some shit? Did he copy it?
>>
>>63013029
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

That man's greed brought affordable energy to hundreds of millions of people.

Might have ruined his life but it pulled countless millions out of poverty.

You are aware that the world poverty rate has fallen by over 60% since 1970 while the world population has skyrocketed? Right? You do know that?

Do you realize how insane that is?

Fucking capitalism man.

It wins every god damned time.
>>
File: 1448317506510.png (612 KB, 1280x1014) Image search: [Google]
1448317506510.png
612 KB, 1280x1014
>he actually played twins, not a single character
>>
>>63008332
YES!
Classic as fuck.

testing: >>63000000
>>
File: 1448321992222.jpg (31 KB, 834x574) Image search: [Google]
1448321992222.jpg
31 KB, 834x574
>tfw really liked the master

no idea why people gave it so much shit
>>
>>63012413

Wait what? I knew something was weird with those two twin dudes. Sow hat's the deal? Twins? Makes no sense.
>>
>>63013150
>PTA

>attempting to educate a liberal

Wasting your time.
>>
>>63012910
>I do not, however, think it was necessary that they were twins. It adds nothing to the story.
Yes it does: it's to contrast the difference in their lives and thus to highlight the choices he (the pastor) made. Look at this other guy (who literally looks just like you) who decided to get out of his hometown and invest and be entrepreneurial as opposed to the other one who stayed home stoking religious fervor and madness.

Also, to the people who didn't realize they were different people, you're fucking stupid. The movie wasn't hard to understand at all.
>>
>>63012855
Like >>63012936 said, it's to highlight his wealth and how it's consumed him. it's what's caused him to snap and grow alienated from his son.
>>
>>63012899
I'm >>63015717

You're a fucking idiot if you don't realize why it's set in a bowling alley. It's ridiculous and reflects decadence. I don't even think PTA is that great, but your terrible attempts to discredit him are embarrassing. Please don't post anymore
>>
>>63006541
but he's typing senpai
>>
>>63010003
kek
>>
I had to stop watching because the music was so terrible and distracting.
>>
>>63006447
Whats hipster about it shitlord
>>
>>63006447
Final scene is a crooked capitalist beating down a priest
>>
>>63017259
Literally Viking raider tier
>>
>>63016084
Weak bait. John Greenwood's imitation of Arvo Part's Frates was one of the film's best moments
>>
I always thought the scene where the oil rig starts on fire was a way too on the nose allegory for hell. Decent enough movie, but it could have been a little more subtle.
>>
>>63012960
learn to use a spoon
>>
>>63006779
I don't really hate the ending for being WTFLOLRANDUM, I hate it more for just ending so abruptly

For a movie that's over 2 hours long you'd think they would be able to make an actual fucking ending in that running time
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.