[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Xena the only show that sexualizes women that isn't trashed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Returnofcallisto_02.jpg (33 KB, 400x262) Image search: [Google]
Returnofcallisto_02.jpg
33 KB, 400x262
Is Xena the only show that sexualizes women that isn't trashed by feminist for it? I honestly can't think of another show. I mean, it was kinda obvious that some of it was catering towards lesbians, but there's a lot of stuff in there that could have been construed as being for men.
>>
>>62998820

Who cares.
>>
>>62998820
the current crop of "feminists" were all 2 when this was on tv
>>
>>62998820
I think they liked it since it proved that a woman could carry a show and Lucy Lawless probably gave them the same funny feeling down there that she did to all the male viewers
>>
>>62998820
Have you ever met a feminist?
>>
Xena was considered a feminist response to hercules.
>>
It was always a pretty feministic show but it wasn't preachy about it. Plus it was sexy as well so that balanced it out.
>>
>>62998820
women with agency will naturally attract lesbians, women are psycho-socially trained to seek out agency in their partners and avoid displays of agency in order to attract them. This is why 'nerdy boys' are so unattractive to women, they seek out ambitious people - a show that depicts an ambitious woman will attract other women (lesbians or not).
>>
well now that you brought attention to it, they'll put up a blog about it tomorrow and get it pulled from syndication on all channels and streaming services and ban all dvd sales.

way to go buttfucker.
>>
>>62998932
Look up articles of it, dude. As recently as this year, there are positive articles about it, even on The Mary Sue.
>>
Like all media with strong female leads xena gets mostly ignored by feminists because her character doesnt fit the feminist narrative (all women are portrayed as weak, there are no strong independent female leads, women are only decoration, etc)

Xena, lara croft, the woman from the hunger games and the like should be feminist icons. But theyre not and they mostly get ignored instead. Thats why feminist icons or heroes dont exist
>>
>>62998820
But it did get trashed by feminists, and so did Tomb Raider games. Nowadays she would be labeled as "man with boobs".
>>
File: alien poster.jpg (44 KB, 485x700) Image search: [Google]
alien poster.jpg
44 KB, 485x700
What's with feminists thinking they own all the kickass female characters? Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, Xena, etc. have all been labeled as "feminist role models" as if these characters personally owe something for some political group.
>>
>>62999797
>But it did get trashed by feminists
All I've seen is positive responses from Feminist nowadays. You must have found a few rotten apples.
>>
Jessica Jones
>>
>>62998820
>yfw xena played like 3 different people in hercules
>even a horse fucker
>>
The feminists (and by that I mean the overzealus college students and the media attention whores who are too old for this shit but still act like teenagers. Most feminists past 25 yo are not retarded like that) don't care about the good representation. olny the bad. They WANT to complain. No matter what. There's a lot of good 'feminist' shows and characters that are completely ignored by them. The Closer is the best example. Aside from the first few I'M A WOMAN IN A MAN'S WORLD!!! episodes (they dropped that shit really quickly), it's one of the best portrayal of a strong (not as physically, not everything is about punching stuff) feminist (but not man-hating) woman.
>>
>>63000412
>not everything is about punching stuff

dropped
>>
>>62998820
is show worth watching?
im running out of modern shows to watch and ive decided to start delving into the nineties
already got a couple of ideas but xena seems like a good fit
how would you sell this to someone like me who never watched
>>
>>63000412
>Most feminists past 25 yo are not retarded like that) don't care about the good representation. olny the bad. They WANT to complain. No matter what.

(It's specially different when neckbeards on /tv/ do exactly the same thing.)
>>
>>63000494
watch the 4 hercules movies first which were pilots the Hercules The Legendary Journeys then watch Xena

as for selling it, if you like cheesy 90s stuff, youll love these shows, otherwise you'll hate em
>>
It was probably trashed by some feminists at some point, specially at the time... then it reached an iconic status and they can't say shit anymore
>>
>>62999842

It's because these characters are doing masculine things -> feminine characters
>>
>>63000494
> is show worth watching?
Very much yes. It influenced so many shows that came after it.

You don't have to have seen any of Hercules to watch it. Also note that most of season 1 is pretty cheesy so you have to forgive those early episodes. However the show changes genre between cheesy, slap-stick comedy, drama, grim-dark better than almost any show I've seen.

Plus it has an exceptionally high level of hot women.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.