[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here's why Will Smith turned down Django
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10
File: 5785678.jpg (72 KB, 440x618) Image search: [Google]
5785678.jpg
72 KB, 440x618
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/will-smith-says-he-turned-down-django-unchained-because-he-wanted-to-be-a-love-story-20151123

>"I came really close, it was one of the most amazing screenplays I had ever seen... I just couldn't sit with him and get through the issues, so I didn't want to hold him up," Smith said in June 2012, going on to share on of his initial concerns in March 2013: "Django wasn't the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character [Christoph Waltz's Oscar-winning King Schultze] was the lead! I was like 'No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!"

>However, in a new roundtable talk with THR, Smith reveals another reason he didn't gel with the material — it needed more romance. "We talked, we met, we sat for hours and hours about it," he said about his conversations with Tarantino. "I wanted to make that movie so badly, but I felt the only way was, it had to be a love story, not a vengeance story. I don’t believe in violence as the reaction to violence. So when I’m looking at that, it’s like: 'No, no, no. It has to be for love.' We can’t look at what happens in Paris [the terrorist attacks] and want to f— somebody up for that. Violence begets violence. So I just couldn’t connect to violence being the answer. Love had to be the answer."

>What Smith is proposing is more or less an entirely different movie, so it's easy to why he and Tarantino couldn't get on the same page.

>We'll see if they find something else to work on down the line, but I would imagine that even if Smith got the script for "The Hateful Eight," he probably realized there wasn't a love story in there based on the title alone.
>>
>>62983941
>I don’t believe in violence as the reaction to violence.
>In a film called Suicide Squad about mercenaries and crazies killing people
>>
yeah fuck django
but WE FINNA SUM KINNA SUE SI SQUA???? is completely fine!
>>
So he wanted Margot Robbie to be in it.
>>
>>62983941
Fuck that kooky scientologist.
>>
hol up
>>
>>62983989
But he rehabilitates by fucking Margot. And their characters fuck too.
>>
Django was his chance to become a star again and he fucked it up. Now he's going to be in a capeshit train wreck movie. Tough break nigga.
>>
>>62983989
Except he plays the moral grandstanding assassin character who only takes jobs for 'bad guys' and is getting the money for "m-muh sick daughter" and convinces Harley that she's in an abusive relationship with Joker
>>
>>62983941
I can't read past 'hold up'

Memes are destroying my life and tearing my family apart
>>
you can see where his son gets the moralfag idealist philosophy from
>>
>>62983989

Or Bad Boys where they blow everything up

or Jamie Foxx being a dickless bitch about guns and then goes on to make movies with lotsa guns and lotsa shootings
>>
HOL UP
>destroys entire alien race
HOL UP YOU SAYIN'
>kills himself with octopus
U SAYIN' WE
>plays alcohol addicted super hero
U SAYIN' VIOLENCE IN MOVIES?
>>
>>62983941
>>62983941
do you honestly think i'm reading all this? this guy is a fucking hack, he chooses roles purely on their box office estimates
>>
>>62983941
> I didn't want to hold him up
> hold him up
>>
>>62983941
>Django wasn't the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character [Christoph Waltz's Oscar-winning King Schultze] was the lead! I was like 'No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!"
>it had to be a love story, not a vengeance story.
Fuck that egomaniac pussy.
>>
>will smoth
>relevant in 2015

kek
>>
The more I think about it, the more I realize that Will Smith has squandered his potential by never appearing in any GOOD movies.

I think Suicide Squad will be pretty good though. Not amazing but a good, if not great, capeshit film.
>>
>>62983941
I don't understand. Django ended up being the lead and killing the bad guy, Waltz character dies. And there's also a fucking romance subplot.
>>
>>62985325

He can write his own shit then
>>
>Will Smith turned down a role because it wasn't a generic hero-kills-the-bad-guy movie with a primarily romantic narrative

Why am I not surprised?
>>
>I need to be the lead.
But Will, you can't act.
>>
>>62985414
He's been in plenty of good movies. What I think happened was that he didn't win the Oscar for playing ALI, everything started to go wrong after that happened.
>>
> it needed more romance.
Jango rescues his lover from slavery
>>
>>62983941
>it was one of the most amazing screenplays I had ever seen

Will Smith was retarded all along. I guess I was just blinded because I really liked Fresh Prince.
>>
What the fuck happened to Will Smith man?
>>
>'No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!"

Fruity scientologist can't make his mind up.
>>
>>62986042
>Jango rescues his lover from slavery

yeah I hear what you're pitching but why can't they go on a picnic before that happens? She could steal some food from master, get caught and have a slave whipping. Maybe share some thoughts about the future as they lose track of time while watching the sunset.

Django brings her back a little late, she gets a slave whipping and throw into the punishment box. Django find a way to slip her a love note, a note that gets found and she gets another slave whipping. That's romance.. tender time spent between random slave whippings.
>>
He is confused, guys! LEAVE HIM ALONE!
>>
>>62983941
>We'll see if they find something else to work on down the line, but I would imagine that even if Smith got the script for "The Hateful Eight," he probably realized there wasn't a love story in there based on the title alone.
Has he not heard of the felatio scene?
>>
>>62986074
dont forget he also turned down The Matrix

basically he turns down anything that goes beyond his very limited range
>>
Will Smith score a century?
>>
>>62983941
>We can’t look at what happens in Paris [the terrorist attacks] and want to f— somebody up for that. Violence begets violence

I hate this shit so much. "We can't be violent because we would be just as bad!"

Bitch you're already being fucking attacked holy shit. The terrorist already turned violent long ago. At this point your just becoming a giant punching bag
>>
>>62983941
i thought smith was lined to play jackson's role not fox's though?
and that makes sense

but django played by old as fuck will 'wild wild west' smith? nah, fuck that
>>
>>62984170
In your dreams, robot. Get back to /r9k/ where you belong.
>>
>>62983989
Except Will Smith has been dying for edgier (kek) movies since 7 Pounds. He realized drama is boring
>>
>>62983941
>tfw uncle phil is dead so no chance of there ever being a Fresh Prince Revival
>>
>>62983941
Didn't this nigger turn down The Matrix as well? What the fuck is wrong with this guy. Talk about poor decision making.
>>
File: 1393874127442.png (113 KB, 359x332) Image search: [Google]
1393874127442.png
113 KB, 359x332
>WELCUM TUH ERF
>>
>>62983941
>Just hol FADE my career up
>>
>>62987255
>nigger
>What the fuck is wrong with this guy.
what the fuck is wrong with you for asking a question you know the answer to?
>>
>>62983941

Hol' up...
>>
>>62987281
You're right. I'm sorry everyone.
>>
>>62983941

Good for him because it turned out to be utter shit
>>
>>62987358
Can you please not posts these kinds of images?
>>
>>62986866
Will Smith is an actor m8
>>
>>62987166
No he's right, it's in the book.
>>
>>62983941
One of the biggest cūcks in Hollywood tbqh
>>
>>62986013
Neither can Foxx.
>>
>>62987495
He's better than Will though.
>>
>>62983941
>I don’t believe in violence
Said the nigger who ordered his body guards to do his dirty work.
>>
>>62983941
>it had to be a love story

But it was.
>>
>>62987255
That looks delicious.
>>
>>62983941
>doesn't want to be Quentin's house nigger
>believes in love rather than violence
>is currently raising the greatest mind of this generation
How based can Willy get?
>>
File: In-Defense-of-Yzma-Featured.png (272 KB, 1000x559) Image search: [Google]
In-Defense-of-Yzma-Featured.png
272 KB, 1000x559
He's right y'know.

If Schultz just shook Candy's hand the movie would've ended there.

But that wouldn't have enabled Kekantino's bulldozer massacre.
>>
>>62987446
> he reads reboot New52 DC shit
>>
>>62983941
>it was one of the most amazing screenplays I had ever seen

So that confirms he's an idiot.
>>
>>62985423
He did: After Earth lmao
>>
>>62983941

>I didn't want to hold him up

*smacks e-meter*
>>
>>62985414
He turned down the role for Neo in the Matrix too. (thank god)
>>
>>62983989
HOL UP
>>
>>62987255
well, in his defense the trilogy sucked, only the first movie was good.
>>
>>62988641
there was never supposed to be a franchise though.
>>
File: 1443099431.jpg (135 KB, 1500x1120) Image search: [Google]
1443099431.jpg
135 KB, 1500x1120
>>62986129
>What the fuck happened to Will Smith
pic related
>>
>>62986035
>He's been in plenty of good movies.
Most of the good movies he's been in that I can think of have been fun summer blockbusters that didn't require him to be anything more than, "Slightly exaggerated Will Smith."
>>
>>62985418
>And there's also a fucking romance subplot.

Yeah but it was more subtle than Will Smith likes. It was Django's reason for doing pretty much everything he did but the journey got more attention like it should have. They showed you how far he would go for her without having to dwell on it every step of the way. Will Smith would have been flashing back to scenes of him barebacking Kerry Washington every five minutes and the whole ride to Candy land would have been him being suave and super cool.
>>
Why won't Kristen Stewart and Rooney Mara work with Will Smith?
>>
>>62990470
Kristen Stewart left Focus because her pairing in a romantic movie with Smith was laughable, she looks like a little girl. Margot was a much better pick.
No idea who Rooney is, apparently her only notable role was that dragon flick.
>>
File: nerd shutup.jpg (83 KB, 1367x765) Image search: [Google]
nerd shutup.jpg
83 KB, 1367x765
Will, movies aren't real, you're just a fraud actor.
>>
>>62983941
Suicide Squad is gonna be a love story.
>>
>>62984546
>kills himself with octopus
Oh yes the legendary box octopus that looks exactly like the box jellyfish
>>
>asking Taratino to not make a movie with violence and or vengeance as the primary theme

why can't Smith just say he didn't want anything to do with Django?
>>
>>62983941
>lead wasn't Django
>romance was needed
what, are you that out of touch man
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.