[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It has a code word. The only two clues are that it has to start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: Mulholland Dr.png (163 KB, 260x386) Image search: [Google]
Mulholland Dr.png
163 KB, 260x386
It has a code word.

The only two clues are that it has to start with the same letter and has the same number of letters. No, the space and period don't count since they're not letters.

M u h o l l a n d D r
M _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
>>
Muslims suck
>>
>>62966918
thats two words

As for my own answer I can give another clue. It has to do with figuring out the film.
>>
aw crap I just realized I fucked it up and forgot an L

that was just a typo though
>>
Malnutrition
>>
>>62967253
good guess and thanks for playing but I don't think thats it.

Is there a context that makes it apply?
>>
oh also, why does Betty start shaking in club silencio right before the singer comes on stage? As I recall she shakes again at the end of the performance I dont really remember but why do you think she shakes at the beginning?
>>
Milquetoast
>>
>>62967396
one letter too short and as I mentioned I fucked up the thread which I tried to delete.

12 letters
>>
Misogynistic
>>
and final clue I know is that the answer is the way to figure out the film's narrative structure etc. everything from the characters to the timeline. It's the encompassing philosophy that this film is governed by.
>>
>>62967484
thats a really fucking good answer

I've heard that criticism repeatedly. I don't think thats it but thats a really good fit.
>>
Memorization
>>
File: ilikethat.jpg (10 KB, 319x316) Image search: [Google]
ilikethat.jpg
10 KB, 319x316
Masturbation
>>
MemeMemeMeme
>>
>>62967558
damn you guys are really good

I guess I could only say thats not my own answer.

Its gotta have a codeword right? I mean thats far from implausible right?

there's something really good that fits
>>
>>62967588
>scanners.gif

I'm officially changing my answer

because its "very necessary"

as david himself put it.

also am I crazy or was the dvd full frontal of rita getting into bed censored? her bush and nipples were blurred. then when she got in bed her nipples were unblurred but we culdnt see her bush anymore anyways.

new bluray is uncensored
>>
Modification
Mansplaining
Multitudinal
Metamorphing
Motherfucker
>>
>>62967808
well I wanna reply real quick to give my answer since I fucked up the thread with my typo

Metaphysical

this especially applies in that the characters including Betty are just figments of Diane's dream who then go on to create their own realities particularly Betty. The movie in a lot of ways is simply asking "What if the characters in our dreams had their own realities in the dream?"

Diane is dreaming that she is Rita not Betty

Betty shakes at the beginning of the club silencio performance because the magician literally takes some of her lifeforce to create the singer. Rita is the only one who is real at least by the standards of this dream.
>>
oh yeah, thats what the midget is shutting down.

Their reality.

Also thats why he's so deformed. He's a dream within a dream and just even an "autotonomous" character within that dream. The farther removed from the source the more exaggerated and ridiculous the characters become whether in appearance or behavior.
>>
Memeredditor
>>
Its important to note that when the unibrow guy sees the monster, he apparently dies from a heart attack. If you look closely, his friend is checking for a pulse. This unibrow character is Diane.

Diane is dreaming she is Rita who then has a dream that she's this unibrow guy who then describes a dream he has when he realizes that he's dreaming then dies.
>>
>>62968072
Think you're reaching with these. You're making it like inception or something. I don't think lynch would ever intend something so literal
>>
>>62968121
yes its very similar to Inception in this regard.

For example again the winkie's monster scene. David even goes so far as to cut back to a quick shot Rita sleeping under the table in the middle of the sequence. This is her dream. Thats why Diane see them again in reality. She is remembering things from reality for her dream. david has even explicitly said this particularly when describing the dinner party.
>>
Why is Betty in love with Rita?

because they had an adventure together? because they found a dead body that afternoon?

or was it something deeper

which at the same time is shallow
>>
>>62966866
MuhammedDr
>>
Notice how sincere Rita sounds when she says that Betty is really good after they rehearse. Betty is an idealized version of Diane but Rita is still the person that Diane is dreaming she is.

Notice how horrible their rehearsal was and how Betty didn't even care but then when she auditions its this way over the top success where she genuinely is flawless. Betty is creating this reality for herself literally as she goes. Exactly like we do in our dreams.
>>
>>62967878
and just to continue this in case you forgot

That's why the singer collapses at the end. She's out of lifeforce. The magician took just enough lifeforce out of Betty to create or possibly animate the singer for one song.

which even then was still just an old recording he already had.
>>
Now tell me what was going on in valerie and her week of wonders
>>
>>62967658
New blu ray is still censored, well, bush shrouded in complete darkness anyway. at laura harring's request which david lynch agreed to do
>>
>>62968584
valerie?

Rita falls asleep several times; in between these episodes, disconnected scenes such as the men having a conversation at Winkies, Betty's arrival in Los Angeles and the bungled hit take place, suggesting that Rita may be dreaming them.

so Rita literally creates Betty and thats why Betty is so exaggerated in her behavior. However she is dreaming Betty within her same reality wherein the two then meet.
>>
>>62968679
no way yor tvs fucked up then. I have my bright level turned way up.

trust me

WE HAVE BUUUUUUUUUSH

but yeah thats what I remembered, the dvds fuckin censored. Guess I'll keep it for that now even though I go the new criterion.
>>
>hear about uncensored new MD blu-ray release
>apparently the best version of the movie because of how beautifully it's allegedly been restored
>lol senpai, it's region-locked :^)
I fucking hate this shit
>>
>>62970939

The Criterion version is fucking shit: artifacts, too much contrast and way too brightened. They even cropped the picture which is one of the biggest sins in cinema. The Japanese Remaster still reigns supreme. Good luck finding it though.
>>
The only thing good about this movie were those guys at the cafe. That got so fucking tense for some reason.
>>
>>62971002
my only complaint is that again there are basically zero special features or at least to me ones that have basically zero value pertaining to the movie. sure its nice to have all this stuff but I want direct relation to the film. even the booklet doesnt have that much for the film.

basically the only thing criterion offers is bluray which I think looks perfectly fine but I havent seen this jap edition.

so what 2 clues are shown before the credits?
where is aunt ruth and how do we know this?
>>
>>62971593
One of them is the Jitterbug contest that led to the protagonist move to Hollywood
>>
>>62971593
>>62972018
Oh and the 2nd clue is her being asleep on the bed
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.