[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star wars-original-trilogy tards will defend this https://
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6
Star wars-original-trilogy tards will defend this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kpHK4YIwY4
>>
two old dudes swinging sticks in a low-budget sci-fi flick

it is what it is. not too bad, not great
>>
>>62949423
there is nothing wrong with this scene
>>
>>62949457
Hey you can make anything sound shitty and mediocre. Even your very existence. Whatcha doin rite now, huh? Browsing some site. You don't even know what you're doing here, you arrogant schmuck.
>>
>>62949457

>low-budget

wut? its one of the most expensive movies made and no.1 high budget in its time
>>
>>62949423
It's definitely the shittiest duel from a technical standpoint. It's all they could do with their budget.

Retards like >>62949482 will pretend this didn't look ridiculous.
>>
>game-of-thrones-fight-scene.avi
>>
>>62949553
Try to also remember Alec Guinness is old in this. As for Darth Vader, that suit must be so fucking cumbersome to move in.

Even with those limitations in mind it's not great, but it's not awful either. It's just eclipsed by all the epic action scenes today.
>>
>>62949536
i'm not hatin, i kinda like it. but it's understandable why it fades in comparison to the other light saber duels in the series
>>
it's a bit slow but at least they actually look like they're scared of the saber's lethality unlike the literal dancing in the prequels
>>
>>62949626
Nah, it just looks bad. That said it's still a good scene because of the dialogue and characters.
>>
>>62949547

It had a 11 million $ budget you retard.

It would be an equivalent of a 50 million $ movie today.
>>
>>62949423

It look more like a real sword duel than the retarded circus crap in prequels.
>>
>>62949640
This. They're flinging around lethal beams that are as hot as the sun only a few inches away from themselves - of course the actual fighting style would resemble some highly laborious form of fencing in this context. The prequels completely disempowered light-sabers. They had better choreographed fights, obviously, but it's a shame they didn't form some sort of middle ground.
>>
>leia's tits

like tears in the rain
>>
>>62949958

The reason they shouldn't be scared is that they have the power of the Force flowing through them.
>>
>>62950121
What the force is and isn't was very loosely defined by then. I don't think the idea of Telekinesis was thought up by then.
>>
>>62949958
>it's a shame they didn't form some sort of middle ground

But they have the high ground
>>
>>62950176
nice
>>
>>62949457
>>62949553
It wasn't the budget. The props were very, very fragile because they wanted the rods to make an in-camera lighting effect. They realized how limiting that was and used less fragile props for V and VI
>>
>>62950176
Did Vader win because he was taller and technically had the high ground?
>>
File: LEIA dvd.jpg (82 KB, 873x1329) Image search: [Google]
LEIA dvd.jpg
82 KB, 873x1329
>>62950092
I thought Lucas had her tits taped down in ANH, must have forgot to do that for this scene
>>
Lucas fucked up when making the prequels flow directly into the original trilogy. Coming from watching the flashy lightsaber fights of episode 3 to this slow methodic mess is mind numbing. And don't give me that bullshit where you say, oh they are old and can't do the things they did when younger. It still doesn't excuse that fact that its a shitty fight scene old or not.
>>
>people excuse this shitty fight choreography when the Japanese were killing it during this same time frame
>>
Anyone who has seen actual Japanese Kendo masters fighting knows this is probably the most realistic duel put to film.
>>
>>62950575
If you like flashy light saber fights you're part of the problem. This is about the characters and the outcome. Not the fight.
>>
>>62950752
>Obi Wan spinning around really slowly for no reason
>realistic
ok
>>
>>62950841
It was a good trick
>>
File: 1441747192219.png (106 KB, 646x774) Image search: [Google]
1441747192219.png
106 KB, 646x774
>>62949423

>He sees Luke
>He smiles
>He's at peace

Fuck you man, this scene was great.
>>
>>62950310
Obi Wan only wins when he's on uneven ground
>>
>>62950813
Shut the fuck up, George.
>>
Okay but really what happened to Obiwan's body?
>>
>>62950639
Post proof
>>
I've never even seen Star Wars but that two minute scene had me more invested than most cgi-infested, action films.
>>
>>62950962
>If you strike me down I will become stronger than you can ever imagine
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>62950813
Which is why it looks like shit, like two old arthritic men trying to sword fight.
>>
File: 1442516249619.webm (2 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
1442516249619.webm
2 MB, 1920x800
>>62951089
>>
I love how completely unfitting this entire fight is with the other 5 movies.

>"only a master of evil, Darth"
Who the fuck is Darth?

>the previous time Obi-Wan and Vader fought it was a 25 minute duel around a burning planet
Here they just poke at each-other for 1 minute

>the significance of meeting your mentor turned best friend turned rival turned nemesis for the first time in 20 years after he mortally wounded you
Brushed off in 10 seconds of unconvincing dialogue
>>
>>62949423
It was an old man and a half robot middle-aged dude fighting with obscenely dangerous light weapons. Yes, the fights in Empire and Jedi were better, but the fightst we got in the Prequels was fucking shit, although I'll admit "Morrowind_combat.gif" is one of my favorite moments.
>>
>>62951123
He was referring to his influence over Luke
>>
File: 1443731880008.png (320 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1443731880008.png
320 KB, 400x386
>>62951123

Nice attempt at a "meme"
>>
>>62949423
I love how at the time Darth was just supposed to be Vader's first name.
>>
>>62951165
>complaining that a retcon doesn't fit the original work

For what purpose?
>>
>>62951165
Darth as in Darth Vader

Did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>62951165
Darth wasn't some kind of title yet, it was just Vader's name.

Wasn't conceptualized.

Wasn't conceptualized.

Was Vader even supposed to be Anakin in Star Wars? I know "Vader" means father but I always feel like it wasn't decided until Empire.
>>
>>62950166
>>62949958
Jedi's aren't supposed to be scared, fucknuggets.
>>
>>62951165
>Who the fuck is Darth

He clearly says "Doth." Get your ears checked. He's laying the poetic groundwork for all of the future poetry.
>>
>>62949658
>The dialogue
>"Now, I am the master"
>"You're only a master of evil Darth"

come on. I'm a faggot for Star Wars and this is some extremely weak writing, even by Lucas standards.
>>
>>62951123
At the time, only Jedi could become one with the force and thus attain a form of immortality. It was implied that 'balance' meant ridding the force of the taint of the dark side; Sith didn't have access to becoming force ghosts because they were perverting the force and would only face oblivion in death for their transgressions.

Of course, the EU sort of screws this whole idea up. We get Sith ghosts and Sith even managing to resurrect themselves through clone bodies after death - which all sort of goes towards rendering Obi Wan's statement and sacrifice redundant.
>>
>>
>>62951316
>as Vader even supposed to be Anakin in Star Wars?
Old Ben even said his name, nigga.
>>
>>62951207
its a title idiot
>>
>>62949423
effective usage of leitmotiv
>>
>>62951401
All Ben ever says is that Vader killed Anakin. I know it winds up being "Anakin was killed when he became Vader" but when Star Wars was made was it even thought of yet? After all the series is a set of asspull after asspull. The only solid evidence for it is Vader being Dutch for "father."
>>
>>62951316
Im not sure, but if it was planned then the lines

>He's just like his father
>That's what I'm afraid of

get some added depth
>>
>>62951487
>The only solid evidence for it is Vader being Dutch for "father."
hasn't somebody asked lucas where Darth Vader's name came from by now
>>
>Darth Vader

>Dark Father
>>
Like how wherever the sabers cross it turns purple. Was that in the movie or added in the HD version? Pretty cool touch, wish the PT did that.
>>
I always thought this scene wasn't a full blown fight to the death, it was more along the lines of mentor and apprentice reuniting and testing each other's skills to see who is truly better. Both didn't use the force at all, it was more like a fencing match. Obi-wan died because he felt like he was really meant to die. He lowers his guard on purpose and dies in one strike from vader.
>>
>>62951487
You mean in name or just as a person?
>>
>>62950387

according to lucas "there's no underwear in space"
>>
>>62951316

No, Darth was intended as a sith title at the time of writing the script for new hope. Lucas had already worked out the lore.

It sounds so bizarre because Guinness says it like it's a given name.

Imagine he was saying it to General Hux:

>"Only a master of evil, General"
>"Only a master of evil, Hux"

The second one sounds way more natural.
>>
It wasn't really about the duel, it was more a way for Obi-Wan to die. Lucas could have had Obi Wan cut down by Darth instantly, but that would have been too boring in an adventure movie, which is what Star Wars was always made to be.
>>
>>62951573

yet shitty amerifags were taken aback by the episode 5 "big twist"
>>
he's just saying "darth" in the same way you'd mock somebody who takes a role too seriously and you're bitter about it

like asshole substitutes when you were young, you'd say "drill sergeant" or something to piss them off
>>
>>62951815
>"there's no underwear in space"

hahaha this is genuinely true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvVUMW_iUlw

we need to make it the next big meme
>>
>literally just let's him kill him
>disappears the microsecond the lightsaber touches him

Its always been fucking retarded
>>
Wie was Darth? How can Darth's Vader be Darth's Vader if the movie doesn't explain who Darth is? Is he Lukes twin brother? Why wasn't Dart's Vader called Luke's Vader?

Ik ben in de war.
>>
>>62952012
Kanker op
>>
for some reason i am forcing myself to watch the prequels again

1 and 2 have some terrible fight scenes. we will see on 3, haven't gathered enough strength to watch it yet.

looks like bad video game cgi cutscenes so far

i would rather have two human beings smacking eachother with real physical contact being made
>>
>>62951316
>I always feel like it wasn't decided until Empire.

It wasn't. Lucas likes to try to hide things like this, but Vader wasn't Luke's father until during the production of ESB. He was basically making up the story as he went along, and it's very obvious if you follow the history of the films.
>>
you now realize in Episode 3 Obiwan doesnt amputate Aniken's legs, but his legs disappear entirely
>>
>>62952109
*Tief op
Learn2Dutch
>>
>>62949423
There is nothing to defend. It is fine.
>>
>>62952185
Ik geef je moeder dadelijk een Dutch, als je begrijpt wat ik bedoel
>>
>>62952230
Geil.
>>
>>62951401
>>62951487
Nah, Kenobi first mentions Luke's father by name in episode 6. Even old monkey Sheev in Episode V just calls him Skywalker.
>>
>>62952148
>i would rather have two human beings smacking eachother with real physical contact being made
But the OT wasn't like this either. The duels in A New Hope and Return of the Jedi are so overchoreographed that they're embarrassing to watch. Everything is meticulously timed and placed so that the actors have absolutely no chance of hitting each other. It's cringeworthy to hear people say that the OT duels felt more "visceral" or "brutal" than the ones in the prequels when they were both overchoreographed with the exact same problems, the prequel ones were just nicer to look at.

The duel in Empire is actually fairly good but even it has a few slip ups.

In fact, no fight scene in any movie is like what you described.
>>
>>62951123
If killed he would become a force ghost. Not only capable of training luke, but able to go anywhere and spy on anyone. Masive amount of intel to be gained. He could also talk to any other dead force user thus further expanding his own training.
>>
Why does Obi Wan disappear when Vader hit him with his laser sword?

Was he a ghost?
>>
It actually made sense. Obi Wan is old as shit, he's not going to be flipping around all over the place. Vader is a burnt husk of a man who's being preserved by the suit - hell most of his limbs are mechanical. He can't fight for shit anymore either.

This doesn't change in Ep V or VI either. In Ep V Vader kicks Luke's ass by using the force to throw shit at him, not because he was crazily out dueling him (plus Luke at that point had no idea what the fuck he was doing). In Ep VI Luke easily overpowers Vader after just a short amount of fighting. Against a Jedi in their prime Vader never would have stood a chance. It's the EU that made him into some robot superman, the original trilogy was actually pretty consistent in their portrayal of his fighting ability.
>>
>>62952174
Makes sense
>When Darth Vader dies he becomes a force ghost
>When you become a force ghost your body disappears
>When his legs got cut off they disapered, becoming part of his yet incomplete force ghost self.
>>
>>62951383
The EU is dead jim.

To my knowledge they haven't re-rendered it meaningless (yet)
>>
>>62952148
>haven't gathered enough strength to watch it yet

Star Wars fags are the worst.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.