[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Romance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: GwtW.jpg (131 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
GwtW.jpg
131 KB, 800x1200
Top 10 romance, /tv/?

Mine, in order of release.

1. Gone with the Wind (Fleming, 1939)
2. The Shop Around the Corner (Lubitsch, 1940)
3. Casablanca (Curtiz, 1942)
4. Heaven Can Wait (Lubitsch, 1943)
5. Breakfast at Tiffany's (Edwards, 1961)
6. When Harry Met Sally... (Reiner, 1989)
7. The Princess Bride (Reiner, 1987)
8. Groundhog Day (Ramis, 1993)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004)
10. (500) Days of Summer (Webb, 2009)
>>
File: Vivien Leigh.jpg (407 KB, 1160x1599) Image search: [Google]
Vivien Leigh.jpg
407 KB, 1160x1599
>>62930774
Scarlett just needed a good hard cock up her bum.
>>
>>62930774
>4. Heaven Can Wait (Lubitsch, 1943)
My black gentleman.
>>
>>62930819
but anon she was taken forcefully to the bedroom and raped
>>62930774
pretty good list
I would throw Dr.Zhivago and moonrise kingdom in there
>>
>>62931009
Zhivago is a great one. I didn't like Moonrise Kingdom as much as everybody else.
>>
File: vivien-leigh-gone with the wind.jpg (291 KB, 898x992) Image search: [Google]
vivien-leigh-gone with the wind.jpg
291 KB, 898x992
>>62931009
>but anon she was taken forcefully to the bedroom and raped

But was it up the bum? It's what her annoying character needed for sure.
>>
it's weird how much critical acclaim this film gets even today considering how unconventional it was story-wise. I really think its cultural significance alone is the driving factor behind any and all of its praise
>>
>>62931453
I don't think so - I really enjoyed it. I think the main guy and his pursuit of the main chick until the ending, when he finally has enough of her bullshit leading him on and cuts her loose, a very cathartic and enjoyable experience.
The backdrop of the war setting is all good as well, but I think it's solid performances with great music and a good love story. Great writing, too.

Also, the praise is what gave it cultural significance. Besides its runtime, it wasn't anything new or unconventional. It made a lot of money and is seen to be very influential. It's just a really good movie.
>>
>>62931453
>its cultural significance alone is the driving factor behind any and all of its praise
Wouldn't that be the case for any critically acclaimed film?
>>
1. Miami Vice
2. Public Enemies
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaPMpD4oxDA
>>
>>62931453
... but the praise is what caused the cultural significance.
Are you a little bit retarded, anon?
>>
>no terminator

Shit list tbqhfam
>>
>>62931827
Perhaps top 50.
>>
>>62931714
>>62931814
>the praise is what gave it cultural significance
no, the fact that it was the first real "big" motion picture and was the first notion of escapism many Depression-era Americans ever experienced is what gave it cultural significance. Watching it was a fucking event and the people filling those seats/lavishing praise on it in those days did so as a result of the sheer technological achievement that it was, not because of its actual quality. most film critics, even by the 60s had grown disillusioned with it and recognized it as being not all that special
>>
>>62930774

if you have the love for Lubitsch why would you not have Trouble in Paradise?

mine would include:

Before trilogy
Brief Encounter
The New World
Splendor in the Grass
>>
>Wild At Heart
That ending gets me everytime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2DqpcHRoA
>>
>>62931931
What do you mean by "big"?
If you mean budget, Ben-Hur cost more and was released 14 years earlier.

I won't argue your claims on escapism - I'm an Australian and undoubtedly know a lot less than you about the American Depression.

Obviously watching any film back then was a lot more of an event, though, because they had far fewer films released each year.

In terms of critical opinion - RottenTomatoes has 81 reviews listed. 80 of those are from 2000-2015, and one is from 1939. The 1939 one gives 4/4 stars, and the others have a 94% approval rating across them. So I'm not really sure where you're getting your statistics in terms of "most film critics had grown disillusioned with it by the 1960s". Can you provide any sort of source for that claim?

>>62931994
I liked that one a lot, just not as much the two I've listed.
>>
>>62931931
wtf are you talking about, the book was already a huge hit, kinda like 50 shades now days
>>
>>62931931
>no, the fact that it was the first real "big" motion picture
Post absolutely discarded. You should learn about the time period before you start trying to argue about it.
>>
File: lnlist.jpg (78 KB, 434x288) Image search: [Google]
lnlist.jpg
78 KB, 434x288
Does nobody else have a list?
Was it a bit of a faggy genre to pick?

I'll select a more popular genre next time...
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.