[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the meaning behind this, /tv/ ? You can't stop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: No_Country_for_Old_Men_poster.jpg (673 KB, 800x1178) Image search: [Google]
No_Country_for_Old_Men_poster.jpg
673 KB, 800x1178
What was the meaning behind this, /tv/ ? You can't stop what's coming ?
>>
There is no country for old men.
>>
You get old, and things change.
>>
Crazy people kill for no reason
>>
File: no country.jpg (107 KB, 467x700) Image search: [Google]
no country.jpg
107 KB, 467x700
>>62920958
Old men can't live in this country.
>>
Why does there have to be a meaning behind this? Can't you just enjoy this fantastic movie?
>>
>>62920981
>Yep sherrif, i guess there is No Country For Old Men ®
BRAVO COEN BROTHERS
>>
The world has always been fucked up but nostalgia blinds you into thinking things used to be better.
>>
Cormac McCarthy is all about old-school, spiritual figures of "good" and "evil." I'd say No Country is pretty much saying that you can't touch evil and expect that it won't touch your life. From the moment Llewelyn picked up the money, he was fucked, there was nothing anyone could do to save him.

Ed Tom Bell is more of a representation of "good," aging and not as strong as it used to be, always a few steps behind the forces of "evil."
>>
>>62921055
no. stop shoehorning in your own perspective.

>>62921075
this.
>>
>tfw no Blood Meridian film

Suttree would be cool too
>>
It's about Sheriff Bell's vanity in thinking that the ultimate force of evil has arrived on *his* doorstep. After his dealings with Chigurh, his uncle regails him with a story from a hundred years ago, and accounts from his family of pure evil. Bell has rationalised Chigurh as a new, deeper power of evil, that hasn't been seen before. Of course this is untrue. Bell himself even opens the film with a story of a young man that killed a girl out of random desire to do so and said he'd kill again if he had the opportunity. Personifications of evil and violence have always existed and will always continue to. Bell is refusing to accept that because the reason he can't keep up with Chigurh is because he's now too old.
>>
>>62921036
>JUST TURN YOU BRAIN OFF! IT'S FUN!
Nice fallacy mate
>>
>>62921189
>no. stop shoehorning in your own perspective.

The guy in the wheelchair literally says this.
>>
I like the last Chigur scene as well. Not in a celebratory "he finally got a bit of what he deserved" way, but that hint of ultimate common denominator that is reality. Everyone can get fucked up any time, even proverbial big guys. And there's nothing we can do about it.
>>
>>62921189
>no. stop shoehorning in your own perspective.

It's literally in the title you fag. NCfOM isn't a -very- complicated film, it's just executed really, really well.
>>
>>62920958
>little to no musical score
>hardly any dialogue
>protagonist dies in a non event
>'it was all a dream' ending
>70's setting
>villian gets away with everything

Shit flick. Though I thought they'd make a sequel by now to show what happened to Chigur
>>
>>62921418
>>62921329
so? it doesnt imply what the entire film is about. just that character.
dumb plebs...
>>
>>62921582
It's more or less what the book they based it on did. Kill the main character unexpecedly for shock value. Cohens managed to do much more with it.
>>
>>62921295
I Can't Appreciate Cinema: The Post
>>
>>62921582
He was eliminated once his killing incumbency was over
>>
>>62921582
>'it was all a dream' ending
wut
>>
>>62921582
This is lazy bait, Anon. I know you can do better than this. Are you depressed?
>>
>>62921007

>people who completely missed the point of the movie

The entire point was that things HAVEN'T changed. People have always been this violent and depraved - "What you got ain't nothin' new." "You can't stop what's coming" doesn't refer to change, it refers to death. But there will always be men who will "carry the fire". Ed Bell thought he could stand against the dark, but stared into the abyss and blanched, so he had to hang up his badge. "A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He'd have to say, 'okay. I'll be part of this world."
>>
What are Cormac Mccarthy's best books?
>>
>>62921725

Blood Meridian.
>>
Criminals are bad and he ain't cut out to fight em. Or something.
>>
>>62920958

A coyote won't eat a mexican
>>
>>62921725
Blood Meridian, Suttree and the Border Trilogy

No Country is probably one of his worst
>>
>>62921725
I'm wondering if I should read The Road. Never read any of his books before.
>>
'Heads or tails, my friend...'

Antoine Sugar was a scary bastard, man.
>>
watched this in 2009 and remember it as being great
worth rewatching?
>>
>>62920958

There's no meaning, that's the message.

In the end it all works out for someone and life goes on.

Originally, in the books, it's that but this >>62921007 is also more evident.

It's a story about retirement.
>>
>>62921684
What's with the trend of Freudian projecting as response? You fucking lazy fuck. Are you really THIS dissociative?
>>
>>62921830

It's a good place to start. I wouldn't say it's his best, but it's a good read, more accessible than something like "Blood Meridian," and gives you a pretty good idea of what he's all about as a writer.
>>
>>62921902
You can't really fight your way out of lazy trolling with swearing bro
>>
>>62921795
I've read Blood Meridian. I've had All The Pretty Horses sitting here for a year; have you read it and is it good?
>>
>>62921925
Thanks bro
>>
>>62921582
>little to no musical score

That was one of my favorite things about it tbqh. It was amazing it managed to build tension and suspense without overly relying on dramatic music.
>>
File: Duderino.jpg (32 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
Duderino.jpg
32 KB, 512x288
>>62921880
Nihilism and absolute apathy to the society is the only solution to live in a world where the rules are increasingly insufficient as the times go by.

The Dude becomes once again a role model character whose lifestyle should be encouraged and emulated
>>
>>62922409
>encouraged and emulated
*by reddit
>>
>>62921007

its you get old and nothing changes
>>
>>62922094
Nah haven't read it, it's held in good regard on /lit/ if that's anything to go by

If you liked his writing style in Blood Meridian then anything from that era is pretty good
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5aKOGcHaw
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.