[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 600x321) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 600x321
>We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Is hypocrisy of war the main theme?
>>
>>62885169
It's about the difference between war and savagery and how corrupting "carnage without purpose" can be.
>>
>>62885505
Didn't Kurtz come to the realisation that there is no humanity in war and to win you have to be willing to go further than your enemy and descend into savagery?
>>
>>62885169
I felt like it was how easy your morality can degrade when there's nobody around to judge you.
>>
>>62886275
It's definitely part of it. At least one assassin was sent in to kill Kurtz before Willard and he joins him instead.
>>
>>62885910
Yep. And that's why he admired the vietnam fucking shits, those guys were able to became monsters, but at the same time they were still good people who fought for their country and family.
>>
Are the themes lifted straight from Heart of Darkness?
>>
>>62886985
no, there is no connection.
>>
>>62886985
Read it you fucking pleb
>>
Yeah, something like that.
The USA military is sending a captain to kill a rogue colonel because they are afraid that, if his story leaks, they will look pretty bad.
Awesome film, I saw it last month and I've been quoting it like an autistic child ever since.
>>
>see this thread
>It Ain't Me starts playing
>>
File: 1401436912330.jpg (509 KB, 900x1000) Image search: [Google]
1401436912330.jpg
509 KB, 900x1000
Considered one of the greatest actors of all time, Marlon Brando was extremely difficult to work with off camera. If you wanted him for your movie, you had better REALLY have wanted him for your movie, as in “this movie will dissintegrate without him.” Because Marlon Brando would make you pay, both literally and emotionally. For his tiny role in Superman:The Movie, Brando demanded $3.7 million for 2 weeks of work, he showed up without having even read the script, and he demanded that his lines be made visible to him off-camera. The most notorious example of Brando being difficult comes from Francis Ford Coppola’s Vietnam War epic Apocalypse Now, where he played Colonel Kurtz. Aside from charging $1 million per week on set, Brando showed up late, grossly overweight, without having read even one page from the novel Heart of Darkness (upon which the movie was based). He apparently pushed Coppola to the brink of insanity. Remember the famous scene where Kurts whispers “The horror, the horror.”? That took one hour to shoot, and Brando charged $75 000.
One of the funniest things about Brando is how during the shooting of the film The Score, he refused to take any direction from Frank Oz unless he used his Miss Piggy voice. (Oz was the original voice of Miss Piggy on “The Muppet Show”)
>>
>>62887008
I've had it sitting here for like 10 months and not gotten round to it.
>>
>>62887093
Everyone knows what Apocalypse Now is about you pleb.
>>
>We train young men to drop fire on people
>people
>>
>>62885169
He looks like pepe.
>>
>>62888263
>non-whites
>people
>>
>>62888263
Kurtz's attitude to war isn't limited to the Vietnam war. It's all war.
>>
The Việt Cộng did nothing wrong.
>>
>>62887143
>these types of copypasta

Always gets a smile out of me.
>>
>>62889632
whats bad is that everything, or at lest 90% of that post is completely true.
>>
>>62887143
One of my favorite Brando moments from AN is how he when they were shooting, all Marlon wanted to do was eat mangos, so Coppola just said fuck it and let him eat mangos while rolling.
>>
>>62889949
I love the one about Brando making Jack Nicholson, who was his next door neighbour, go to McDonalds for him during the night. Nicholson would throw the food over the fence into his garden in secret so Brando's partner didn't know.
>>
>>62885910
>>62886574
Willard is the ideology of war while Kurtz was the savagery.

During the hunt for Kurtz, Willard's views on combat and morality become increasingly tested until he's finally tempted with total debasement in Kurtz's stronghold.

Kurtz believes war makes us monsters and that's what he became. Willard proves that good men can do monstrous things but still retain their humanity.
>>
>>62886275
>I felt like it was how easy your morality can degrade when there's nobody around to judge you.
The self can still judge the self, isn't this just an examination fo weakness?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.