[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DAMN what a movie What did /tv/ think of Nostalghia? I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: xopaNXZrNjvpVgYrUWTtGhb3Ylu.jpg (102 KB, 500x786) Image search: [Google]
xopaNXZrNjvpVgYrUWTtGhb3Ylu.jpg
102 KB, 500x786
DAMN what a movie
What did /tv/ think of Nostalghia? I think this is probably Tarkovsky's second best film behind Mirror but even after my second watch I feel left with innumerable questions

Anyone feel like discussing? Imo I think the motif of translation is very central to the film, the barriers between culture as Andrei tries to translate his homeland Russia into the Italian landscape, (which he eventually achieves in death) and in his sleep it would seem he translates Eugenia into the memory of his wife, which I think startles him, the idea that his mind is beginning to move on without him and is what has him acting like a jerk to Eugenia causing her breakdown (though I'll admit her reaction to his action is a little extreme)
Anyways most of what confuses me is how Domenico and his ambiguous cause fits into everything, and especially the idea behind the great final candle scene. An odd scene as I feel we all knew it truly was a matter of life and death somehow, there was a weight to the task, something religious too, but I can't quite reconcile it with the rest of the film, plot-wise, thematically, or even in a more abstract sense

anyways, sorry for rambling, love to discuss this masterpiece though if anyone's up to it
>>
>>62819056
bump because you've piqued my interest

got any stills, gifs, webm's from the movie?
>>
>>62819120
calm yourself and return to your starwar/gamergate threads
>>
>>62819171
I think this is supposed to be a joke to go along with the thread about "artsy" shit being passed off on 4chan.

If not then, oh boy.
>>
File: nostalghia11.jpg (131 KB, 1200x853) Image search: [Google]
nostalghia11.jpg
131 KB, 1200x853
>>62819120
yikes.

>>62819140
nothing particularly showy for you, sorry. if you're into this type of film though, or have seen anything of tarkovsky's you've liked I think checking it out is a no-brained
>>
>>62819201
>"artsy" shit being passed off on 4chan
more like on /tv/, every other hobby board likes the artistic creations their respected mediums come up with

hell i'm sure the average /v/ user knows more about videogames than the average /tv/ user knows about movies
>>
>>62819222
>no-brained
no-brainer
>>
>>62819222
>trips
but i will check it out OP, thanks
>>
File: Ностальгия.webm (3 MB, 480x295) Image search: [Google]
Ностальгия.webm
3 MB, 480x295
OP, you're right about the theme of translation being the main driving force behind the movie. This was something Tarkovsky felt very deeply about, and it's shown in how he settled for the title of Nostalghia, a word that is almost the same whether in Russian or English. He was also adamant that the film be referred to by its Russian pronunciation "Nostalghia" and not a local variant of the word, in keeping with the film's theme of a Russian trying to keep his intrinsic national and cultural identity in a foreign environment.
I saw Domenico being seen as the final prophet by Andrei, being the person through which he would understand his own fated personal apocalypse. Of course, ignoring Stalker, Tarkovsky's last three movies were deeply personal and autobiographical, and they all deal with memory, his exile, the looming prospect of death and the subtle hint of rejuvenation. The sense of doom and finality seen in Nostalghia is carried over in The Sacrifice, bridged even more by Erland Josephsson's presence in both.

>>62819140
>>62819222
>>
>>62819348
Thanks for the response! An interesting point with the title especially
>I saw Domenico being seen as the final prophet by Andrei, being the person through which he would understand his own fated personal apocalypse.
Would you care to expand on this at all? Would you consider this apocalypse at fault of Andrei's self-exile, or only his inability to adjust to it, and the attempts at 'translating' the past into the present?
>>
>>62819422
>Would you consider this apocalypse at fault of Andrei's self-exile, or only his inability to adjust to it, and the attempts at 'translating' the past into the present?
All I think played a role in his quest to end his suffering. His yearning for his homeland, his love, his family, his language, his culture, along with the malaise he had fallen into being prodded along by a love-blind translator into doing things he had lost all interest in, that too in an alien land. In Domenico he finds himself, another kind of man waiting for an end. In his dreams both become the same person, and though horrified at first, Andrei accepts his fate as intertwined with Domenico's - both "immolate" themselves but in their own slightly different ways.
>>
>>62819056
>Nostalghia on /tv/

awesome. It's my favorite Tarkovsky but I still think Mirror is his masterpiece.
>>
>>62819056
Concerning Domenico, google Holy Fools. It's a hardcore Russian thing, I think that might be the connection.
>>
Tarkhovsky was a genius and a true artist, it's a shame he gets a bad rap for being pretentious.

personally I believe The Mirror is the most beautiful film ever made and its my second favorite movie ever made.

Solaris is in my top 10-25 even though it might be his worst movie, Stalker is probably his second best and the others are about even.

I guess I'll rewatch Nostalghia, only done 2 runs with it and was a bit distracted on one of them (which basically makes it not count with this guy) and while i feel it was technically well done and interesting and presented well enough, it didn't feel as powerful and important to him as his other movies and themes
>>
I hated it honestly. I don't want to be that guy but it really was too slow. I loved both stalker and solaris though
>>
The Mirror>The Sacrifice>Nostalghia>Andrei Rublev>Stalker>Solaris>Ivan's Childhood
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.