[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: ohmss.jpg (11 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
ohmss.jpg
11 KB, 189x267
What exactly is it about this movie that makes everyone love it so much? I see so many people claiming that it's one of the best Bond films and I honestly can't see why.

Lazenby is just terrible in general. He gives easily the worst performance of any of the Bonds. And to make matters worse instead of playing Bond he spends a large amount of the film pretending to be "Sir Hillary Bray", complete with silly costume and voice.

Diana Rigg gives a decent performance but her character arc makes no sense. She appears early in the movie but is completely absent from the middle, appears at the end only to suddenly be the love of Bond's life out of nowhere, marry him and get get killed. This is supposed to be the women he loves more than any other but he forgets about her entirely once he reaches the allergy clinic and fucks every patient there.

Speaking of the allergy clinic, is this really Blofeld's master plan? To brainwash them and get them to release biological weapons around the world? He's the head of a fucking terrorist organisation, is there really no other way he can do this other than this nonsenical plan that involves building a fake allergy clinic in the alps for no reason? And Telly Savalas is nowhere near as good as Donald Pleasence.

I get why people like the ending and it really is a striking moment. But again, Lazenby is a shitty actor and can't sell it. In theory this should be amazing, but in the film itself Lazenby just can't sell broken grief and it makes the entire scene fall flat. Why do people love this film so much?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrkerh77MYY

dem ski scenes are top notch tho
>>
Lazenby is ok, but that's the problem, he's just ok. He's not memorable in his performance at all and that makes him the weakest Bond.
>>
>>62813485
I cant be botherd to reply to every little nit pick
>>
>>62813600
Probably beause it was a one off and his first acting role EVER

given the chance he could of been GOAT
>>
The setting. Like in Where Eagles Dare it's just so great. Plus it's a Christmas movie.It also has the best Bond girl. You can see how Bond falls in love with her when she finds him later and smiles like an angel. Beautiful.
Also Savalas is the best Blofeld.
But it's mostly the setting. It's just so comfy and charming. I want to be there.
>>
>>62813485
No OMSS no CR and no Spectre
>>
>>62813560
I love the music , directing and choreography of this segment

If this doesn't get your heart racing nothing will
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5y58Q26ick

;_;
>>
>>62813485
>What exactly is it about this movie that makes everyone love it so much?
The Fedorability of pretending you like that one Bond film with the bad actor who famously only ever did one movie.

Its pacing is all over the place. Diana Rigg carries this film, because we have a terrible non-actor planking his way through his lines, and a cast of generic, poorly defined support characters.
The action scenes are for the most part flat. The film gets kudos for pulling The Director's Trick on inexperienced audience members - that is a hot opening and closing 10 minutes. You go out feeling the emotional gut-punch of the ending (again, carried by Rigg), and if you are not wise to these techniques, you let your opinion of the rest of the film get swung by that.
>>
>this never happened to the other guy!
>>
>It's honestly the truest adaptation of one of Fleming's books, plot-wise.

>Lazenby isn't that great, but he isn't horrible, and he manages the romance aspects very well.

>Diana Rigg is a bad ass.

>Telly Savalas is smug as fuck and the second best Blofeld after Donald Pleasance.

>The soundtrack is one of the best of the series.

>When the guy goes into the snow blower and it sprays his guts everywhere, the first really gory offing in a Bond film.

What's not to like?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.