[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I ever tell you about the time I let Bilbo keep the Ring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: 1445291042-0tykmxd.gif (2 MB, 1180x488) Image search: [Google]
1445291042-0tykmxd.gif
2 MB, 1180x488
Did I ever tell you about the time I let Bilbo keep the Ring of Sauron in the Shire for a hundred years, at great peril, the ring Sauron was looking for and would kill anyone to get? I was a good friend.
>>
Nice try but this won't ever work with legitimately good movies such as LOTR
>>
>>62804730

>LOTR
>legitimately good

When will Reddit leave?
>>
>>62804752
When you leave
>>
>>62804752
>hating Lotr, the finest blockbuster movies ever made
Sup reddit
>>
>Ring of Sauron

Gandalf didn't know it was Sauron's ring.
>>
File: 1446373889645.gif (73 KB, 129x150) Image search: [Google]
1446373889645.gif
73 KB, 129x150
>>62804730
my facts >>>>>> your emotions

cry more bitch nigga faggot pussy gay fag
>>
>>62804619
confirmed for being a memester and not reading the books or watching the movies
>>
File: 1445768613379.gif (106 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1445768613379.gif
106 KB, 260x260
>>62804911
this is literally what happened in the book. In the movies you would never know how long frodo has the ring in the shire
>>
>Frodo if we do not do something with this ring immediately the entire world will be put at great risk
>Can this wait like 17 years?
>Sure, I don't see why not
>>
>>62805377
it seemed like no more than a fortnight
>>
>>62804752
>If I hate things other people like, that means I have a fine and distinguished taste!
Aren't you a brave little contrarian?
>>
>>62805377
In the books Gandolf just thought it was some trash invisibility ring from the first age. It's only after he do more research he learned it was the One Ring, an even then he was only sure once he put it in the fire. Basically he came and told Frodo to gtfo of the shire as soon as he was sure of what it was.
>>
>>62806051
It would take Gandalf months just to ride to Minas Tirith and back
>>
>>62804752
woman detected
>>
>>62806394
Then that makes Gandalf a boob. Even Bilbo knew there was some serious fucked up shit with that ring when he took it from Smeagol (who killed his best friend and threw his life away so he could cover the ring 24/7)
>>
Did you forget the scene where Gandalf spends months traveling to some library and reading old ass books to go "oh shit that ring is THE ring fuck yo"
>>
>>62806616
why didn't he do that immediately? why did he wait 60 years?
>>
>>62808624
Well to be fair, up until the point where Sauron's armies were massed, the Shire really was the safest place to keep the ring since Sauron had spies everywhere except the Shire and Bilbo never used the ring again until his birthday. As for why he waited 60 years he was spending his time scouting out Sauron's strength, inspiring and manipulating the various kingdoms of middle earth and trying to find whatever information he could on the ring.
>>
>>62804752
hi /reddit/
>>
>see a bunch of lotr threads
>so embedded in my mind so I decide to read the books
>gandalf dies
>I get a smile on my face but realize he comes back

Anyone else with gandalf stayed dead? Once he died everyone else got better as characters.
>>
>>62809883
>Anyone else with gandalf stayed dead? Once he died everyone else got better as characters.
But they are different.

"Gandalf, that's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Gray. I am Gandalf the White."
>>
>>62809883
I'm kind of glad he came back, as his loss was the important part (the rest of the Fellowship grew big brass ones after that).
>>
>>62806407
BULLSHIT
>>
>>62804752
I don't know, you tell me /reddit/!
>>
Why didn't Jackson show the pillage of the shire?
>>
It's clearly explained in the books and films that Hobbits have natural resistance to the ring's corrupting influence and are the smartest people to leave it hidden with. Gandalf probably realised somewhere along the line what the ring was and why Bilbo wasn't growing old but it's better to keep it hidden until you can launch a plan to dispose of it than let a man hold it for a few seconds and immediately turn under Saxton's influence.
>>
>>62810082
This, maybe with some pleb horse it would take months. But Gandalf could literally do the ride in a day, from The Shire, with Shadowfax.
>>
>>62810192
Because it would have been an entirely unnecessary 4th act to an already bloated as it was 3-act movie. Destroying Sauron is a bigger peak than having to save the Shire. The movie would have been 5 hours.
>>
reminder that legolas one shots a fell beast in flight while travelling down the anduin in fotr

bitches werent shit
>>
>>62810102
Nuh uh! You're the reddit!
>>
>>62810298
There was plenty to cut out of Rotk to fit it in.
>>
>>62810330
This board will continue to play "hide the Reddit" and the cycle will continue
>>
>>62810324
It was like his bow was upgraded from a handgun to an rpg.

Was that the same beast that that one butthurt orc wanted to use to take pippin and merry to sauron?
>>
>>62810298
Explain which parts were bloated
>>
>>62810361
But it's an unnecessary story element. You've already defeated the greatest evil in the world. It ruins the power of that moment if you go back and fight some orcs in the shire.

It would be like adding a scene at the end of Die Hard where he fights some muggers or whatever AFTER the events of the movie. Movies don't do 4th acts.
>>
File: 2015-11-19-00-16-33--451747430.jpg (5 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-19-00-16-33--451747430.jpg
5 KB, 295x171
Why didnt Fredo just row his boat to Mordor?
>>
>>62804619
Moviepleb who doesn't understand the role of wizards detected.
>>
I didn't like the changes Peter Jackson made to the Lord of the Rings movies that destroyed a few good characters and didn't even introduce quite a few that were necessary. The acting was good, the sets were mostly good, but everything else was kind of... I don't know. I'll probably get a "tips fedora" or called Reddit, but I'd rather just read the books.
>>
>>62810609
reddit
>>
>>62810449
The ending
>>
>>62806534
Yes, Bilbo knew there was something about it. He did not, however, know what it was and he didn't tell Gandalf about his uneasy feelings.
>>
>>62810679
>he didn't like the 30 minutes of tying up loose ends
fuck off
>>
>>62804619
Because he didn't know it was The Ring. There are probably too many magical rings in the world, some are a bit cursed here any there. The ring did not give off any special strong vibe when used by Bilbo that tip off Gandalf. The ring just turn Bilbo invisible and it didn't corrupt him much at all for years. Bilbo's naturally and effortlessly strong resistance against the ring give little reason for gandalf to suspect that it is actually the one ring. The one ring legend claimed that it's the most powerful and evil shit in the world that can instantly corrupt anyone just looking at it. Gandalf only thought that the Ring Bilbo has is probably some average magical ring that might have a bit of a curse so he adviced Bilbo against using it for long term
>>
>>62804619

he didn't realize the ring he found was the one ring. There are many magical rings in middle earth
>>
>>62810679
>being this much of a pleb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrAT0cD4pvA
>>
OH BY THE WAY WE'RE GOING TO GO ON A ROLLER COASTER RIDE IN THIS GOAT CHARIOT SHOOT IT IN THE GIBLETS IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY GIBLETS NO TENSION WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I

AM

TO

OLD

FOR

THIS

GOAT RIDERS DIE AZOG OH BOY HERE COMES BOFUR TO SAVE THE DAY ON A TROLL WHERE DID THE ELVISH DEAD FROM THOSE BALLISTAE GO? WHAT THE FUCK
>>
File: wilfred-dog.png (157 KB, 336x240) Image search: [Google]
wilfred-dog.png
157 KB, 336x240
>>62810460
Wilfred told him not to.
>>
>>62810264
Don't remember if in the books, but Gandorf didn't hook up with Shadowfax in the films til after they left Fangorn.
>>
>>62806394
correct, but that doesn't change the point in OP: he let frodo have the one ring for a hundred years
>>
Did Gandalf know Bilbo had a ring of power in the Hobbit? I'm pretty sure he did. If so, why didn't he proactively assume it was Sauron's ring? It might be jumping to conclusions, but finding Sauron's ring was literally his top objective in Middle-Earth. Don't you think it would have been a good idea to find out, just to be safe?

So he didn't know how you had to put it in the fire, but couldn't he have gone from the Shire to Minas Tirith and back in less than a year on horseback? That means he would have discovered it was One Ring 59~ years earlier. Would have been a lot easier when Isengard was a marginal power, the Gap of Rohan was open, Rohan's army was free to do whatever, Gondor was stronger, and the dwarves of Erebor and men of Dale weren't under siege by Easterlings. He could have marched them all to the Black Gate and lay siege while he had all the greatest heroes of the time go through or around Mordor's mountains and assure the ring got there.

Gandalf really fucked up. That's probably why Manwe and everyone let him have a second chance.
>>
File: 1446351872173.jpg (13 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1446351872173.jpg
13 KB, 500x375
>>62810264
>implying Gandalf got Shadowfax in the Shire
>>
>>62810751
>he didn't realize the ring he found was the one ring. There are many magical rings in middle earth

why did no one else have a magical ring, if they were so abundant why didnt gandalf give rings to the fellowship, +dex to legolas to explain his bs and so on. face it tolkien was a hack.
>>
>>62811956
Because they already have owners dipshit
>>
>>62811330
>implying the King of Fucking Horses can't appear at any time, any where
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.