[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /tv/, film student here (inb4 seeing films instead). I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: camera1.jpg (100 KB, 1024x925) Image search: [Google]
camera1.jpg
100 KB, 1024x925
Sup /tv/, film student here (inb4 seeing films instead). I've decided to invest in a camera of my own and I'm looking for suggestions. From what I here a DSLR is the best way to go, what do you think?
>>
>>62790920
Hey, I used to use that camera.

And yeah, DSLRs are what most folks use when they start out nowadays. I think it's generally accepted that T5i is a good one, but my memory's shitty.
>>
>>62790920
just get a red dragon to be quite truthful family
>>
>>62790920
learn how to internet first
>>
>>62791210
HOL UP
>>
>>62791125
Kek'd
>>
ANAMORPHIC LENS
>>
>>62790920
5D anything with a low enough shutter count. Camera only goes so far, it's the lens that matters.
>>
i have rebel t3i they're all good, but to get the best answer you should go to photography. trust you'll get better answers there
>>
/p/hotographer here. the answer depends on your budget and needs.

you could actually go with a mirrorless instead of a DSLR, if you so choose.

personally i shoot with a Nikon D750, a camera with exceptional low-light abilities. video is great but no 4K. also it's $2,000~.
>>
>>62790920
Honestly the best camera I've usd to work with that isn't completely expensive is the gh4 with vlog

the 4k video is fantastic - the video comes out very flat on purpose but when you grade the shots boy do they look pretty.
>>
>>62790920
go to /p/
>>
>>62790920
>Canon DSLR meme

Get a Sony A7S or wait for the Sony A7000.

Canon is shit now, Sony is whooping their ass.
>>
go mirrorless

the dslr fad is dead, there is literally no point in getting one today considering the IQ and prices of mirrorless cameras. if you can afford it get an A7s. for its price range there is nothing better.
>>
>>62791383
This. A t3i was my first camera back in high school and I'm still using it.

The lens is the important piece.
>>
>>62791383
>>62793585
All rebel series are dog shit.

A7S owner here, its fucking incredible. This nigga >>62793544 knows whats up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1W-bPyYR0k

Look at how smooth this shit looks without the aid of actual lights.
>>
>>62794708
Nice samefag bump

You deserve some kind of medal or award for that post.
>>
>>62794739
whatever you say, anon
>>
File: sony-a58-.jpg (199 KB, 1024x898) Image search: [Google]
sony-a58-.jpg
199 KB, 1024x898
>>62793544
How is the older Sony α58?
>>
>>62790920
>film student
>from what I hear DSLR is the best way to go

you're sooo not a film student dude :3
real film student here
>>
>>62790920
if you're using it for filming, buy a Red or a Black Magic. They're both for filming. For photography I would suggest something analogue, Pentax or Zorki are great ones
>>
>>62790920
>>
Nikon has nice cameras, they're the best for photography but it records video at a lower mbps than other cameras (files weight less but have slighter less quality).

Canon were the king of indie filmmaking some years ago with the 5D series. 60D, 70D are good, 6D and 5DIII are the better....but very expensive for what they offer nowadays.

Sony has become the new thing for indie DSLR filmmaking with the A7s. Great low light capacities and very sharp image.

If you are starting and just want to spend some money on something to learn and later update I suggest you buy a 700D or something cheap til you master it.
If you are going to take care of your gear then I suggest a A7s, then with time you can get an Atomos Ninja Assassin external monitor to record in Prorress 4K.

Or you could skip DSLRs and get a BlackMagic Cinema Camera, though you will need very good lighting when you shoot with these.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, the lenses are very very important. Nikon and Canon have the best lenses, Sony not so much but you could adapt canon or nikon glass to it (though is a pain in the ass to do it). I suggest you to learn about different lenses mount and what are you willing to spend on lenses.
>>
>>62790920
GH4 or a BMPCC
>>
i have a 70d and i would totally recommend
>>
>>62797772
also I forgot about the Panasonic GH4, very good and records 4K internally, is the cheapest way to get 4K in the market. the bad is that it has a small sensor so it's not that good in lowlight conditions (compared to full frame cameras) and I guess you would like to do many of those short films plagued with shallow depth of field. Then you'll have a problem with this camera.

Full frame cameras give you better that shallow depth of field indie filmmaking overdo. Those cameras are 5DII, 5DIII, 6D, A7s for example.

And talking about codecs and 4K, all DSLRs record in H.264 which is a very common format you can play in almost anything but its not very good if you are going to apply agressive color correction to your shots.

The BlackMagic cameras record in prores (and RAW) which is MUCH better for color correction and editing.
And DSLRs like the GH4 and A7sII record 4K internally but in H.264 so the visual quality is good but it still a low quality format to work for, You have the solution with the Atomos Shogun or Ninja Assassin which is an external monitor to record 4K in Prores and with no time limites.

Hope this helps you.
>>
>>62790920
I can tell you from personal experience that you shouldn't go to film school, you should go into film.
>>
>>62798412
thanks Tarantino
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.