[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of the film "Upstream Colour"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: upstream_color_xlg.jpg (179 KB, 1012x1500) Image search: [Google]
upstream_color_xlg.jpg
179 KB, 1012x1500
What does /tv/ think of the film "Upstream Colour"?

and Shane Carruth in general..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wjt0Q6Nx_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9KmAlrEXU
>>
File: kitty.jpg (35 KB, 700x445) Image search: [Google]
kitty.jpg
35 KB, 700x445
2oblique4me
>>
>>62784838
Shane pls go.
>>
>posting your whole film for free on YouTube
Classic Shane
>>
File: shanefu.jpg (23 KB, 432x289) Image search: [Google]
shanefu.jpg
23 KB, 432x289
>>62784838
Love u Shane
>>
God-ly
>>
Definitely in my top10 of the past 5 years. Never understood "you have to watch it a bunch of times to understand" comments about Upstream Color either, narrative might be weird and confusing, but emotional stuff is pretty straight-forward.

Not sure how i feel about his "big" next movie though, don't like him working with famous actors.
>>
thought it was a really interesting concept, and his directing/writing is great, but the story was overcomplicated. I don't mind a film not giving me all the answers, but films like this make me feel like I'm missing things that I really should be getting when they aren't there in the first place
>>
I liked Primer a lot, but this film was a boring, incomprehensible piece of shit. One of the worst /tv/ recommendations I've ever gotten.
>>
What i love about it--one of the things--is that with each rewatch I catch something new. He has as many cuts as a Michael Bay movie.
>>
Why did you cast so many meme actors for The Modern Ocean, Shane? Amy was such a cutie, you should've brought her back.
>>
Story is simple:

Woman is brainwashed, all her money is stolen.

She tries to piece her life back together, meets Shane who had a similar experience and as they psychologically work together find even more people like themselves.

It's probably more understandable if you think about them like ex-cult members trying to recover and live a life.
>>
>>62784977
>Not sure how i feel about his "big" next movie though, don't like him working with famous actors.

He's only directed like 2 films though. So in my opinion who knows. I'm sure it'd look beautiful anyway and given the fact his last two films were entirely him he MAY excercise a lot of control
>>
10 million times better than Xavier Dolan.
>>
He's incredible but normies won't get his shit. I can't wait for Modern Ocean to get a lukewarm reception because it was too "pretentious" or something equally bullshit.
>>
Couldn't get through it, made me uncomfortable.
>>
Style over substance. It wasn't anything special. People who seek to build their intellects up will fluff the movie.
>>
Why won't Shane protect me in a bathtub with a bandage on his nose. Why?
>>
this film going to get remade along with memento just you wait

and primer and every other film FUCK REMAKES

fuck you chair mwah
>>
>>62785084
>what about the pigs
>what about the blue worm shit
>what about the farm where all those people live near the pigs

that don't make no sense
>>
>>62785288
Can anyone tell this anon what those elements might symbolize? Class?
>>
>>62785259
A Primer 2 could be cool

Where Shane's character continues his big Time machine French project
>>
>>62784838
It was a mess desu
>>
>>62785259
If Upstream got a Nolan remake more people would understand it. It would be incredibly literal-minded.
>>
>>62785314
>Can anyone tell this anon what those elements might symbolize? Class?

I'm sure he didn't think that deeply. He just wanted a semi believable nature/sci fi element to communicate/create a mind control aspect.

It could symbolise whatever you want.

All good art should be open to interpretation.
>>
>>62785288
>pigs
Metaphor for people in general.
>blue worm
Metaphor for how people are influenced by things that have been happening forever without their knowledge.
>farm where people live with the pigs
Metaphor for how to truly be at peace, we need to get back to that base point understanding of each other and nurture ourselves into a new way of living without things like religion, politics, etc.
>>
>>62785361
Yes. It takes bravery to assert one's opinions and make themselves open to ridicule.
>>
>>62785346
No one misunderstood upstream color. The movie is completely straight forward.

If you go in expecting primer, and actually pay attention, you just come away disappointed at how little actually happens.

Indicating with carruth can afford enough film stock to shoot his entire script, he doesn't do anything noteworthy.
>>
>>62784838
Never seen General but I loved Upstream Colour. I like abstract films when they are done well and also the cinematography was superb.
Oh yeah performances great too.
>>
>>62785522
>No one misunderstood upstream color.

That's not an interesting fact.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.