[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The movie is pretty shit but this ending was very good. I bet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15
File: thesocialnetwork9.jpg (39 KB, 639x264) Image search: [Google]
thesocialnetwork9.jpg
39 KB, 639x264
The movie is pretty shit but this ending was very good. I bet this was 100% Fincher too. Fuck Sorkin.
>>
I really didn't get the appeal of the movie? Like it's not bad. It's not good either, though. I just don't get why it's so hyped.
>>
>>62783117
Do not try to rationalize the thought process of a fincherfag. They've got fincher's cock so far up their ass that they'll take any piece of shit the hack has made and claim it as a masterpiece.
>>
>>62783064
>The movie is pretty shit
Nah m8, it's Fincher's best.
>>
File: HALP, MUH BALLS.png (240 KB, 479x811) Image search: [Google]
HALP, MUH BALLS.png
240 KB, 479x811
>>62783064
>le contrarian meem upboat look ma i is edgy teevee poster now :^) 11!!!1!!!1!!
>>
File: 1410882044057.jpg (49 KB, 368x381) Image search: [Google]
1410882044057.jpg
49 KB, 368x381
I thought the movie was pretty good until I found out it's 100% bullshit.

Lazy hacky shit. Would expect more from Fincher and Sorkin.
>>
>>62783273
>le Citizen Kane of muh generation!!11!11
Fuck off redditor
>>
Am I the only one who thinks this faggot got exactly what he deserved? Contributed nothing other than a little bit of startup money, called himself CFO but had no idea how to raise funds that didn't come from his dad's checkbook, which he also cut off, without warning, over a petty personal dispute, which would've sunk the company had Sean not stepped in to do his job for him.
>>
File: Laura Sampson.png (193 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Laura Sampson.png
193 KB, 640x480
>>62783404

I'm from Reddit and I love this place, also. Oh, does that make you mad? So very mad? Oh, you seem quite mad that there are those of us from Reddit who also enjoy coming here and hanging out with you cool guys. We like it. We REALLY like this place. Oh, we're not leaving. We're sitting right here, friendo. You like that one? "Friendo?" It's from No Country For Old Men. I know tv memes lol!

You think this is your own private utopia, your retreat from the world, your clubhouse to hang out with your other rebels, but guess what? We Reddit folk found it. We found it and we like it.

And we're not leaving.
>>
File: image.jpg (151 KB, 1920x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151 KB, 1920x1024
>>62783432
Reported asshole
>>
>>62783117
Like all Fincher movies (I do like Zodiac though). His fans are insufferable.
>>
>>62784568
>how to take a screenshot

Gets me every time.
>>
>>62783164
What are you droning about, you spazz
>>
>>62783064
>this ending was very good
>>
i still dont understand how this fucknut was nominated for an oscar for this.
he plays the same exact character in all his movies
>>
>>62783420
They were kids and best friends, man.
>>
>>62784721

nah his performance is pretty brilliant in this.

and OP I don't care much for Fincher but I think this movie is very good. I mean Zodiac is clearly his masterpiece (a movie so good that it makes no sense Fincher even made it) but this is his second best. What's not to like? A fantastic, ambiguous, compelling lead performance. A great, throbbing, atmospheric score. A fairly brilliant script that is both extremely entertaining while also being intellectually satisfying.

What's not to like? It's a very good movie.
>>
>>62784820
>A fantastic, ambiguous, compelling lead performance.
Wasn't ambiguous or compelling in the slightest.
>A great, throbbing, atmospheric score.
Throbbing AND atmospheric? Oh please. Don't you have a p4k review to submit?
>A fairly brilliant script that is both extremely entertaining while also being intellectually satisfying.
Yeah, you totally went off the deep end here. Sorkin is a master of pseudo-untellectual white collar hackery and this tepid deposition drama is a testament to his "oeuvre" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI
>>
>Sorkin

Not even once.
>>
I described this as "geek tragedy" when it first came out and no one found it clever. I still think it's clever.
>>
File: cringe.jpg (38 KB, 610x390) Image search: [Google]
cringe.jpg
38 KB, 610x390
>>62784899
>"geek tragedy"
This is the type of thing Peter Travers would come up with and also think is really clever.
>>
Zuckerberg is literal human garbage and the film did very little to accentuate this.
>>
>>62784899
I like it. Solid joke.
>>
>>62784820

>a movie so good that it makes no sense Fincher even made it

Fincher is as good as the script he's working with. Give him a great script, and he'll make a great movie. His craftsmanship is flawless, and his casting instincts are spot-on. I just think he's the type of guy who'll take a satisfying paycheck over an artistically satisfying script.
>>
>>62784936

how so? I think the movie depicts him very negatively which is why it ends with the image of him as a complete loser, ending up alone as a result of his mistreatment of those around him. The soundtrack also accentuates the movie's stance on him.
>>
can someone explain why he betrayed his best friend? and im still not even sure why, he didn't seem to care about money and it can't have been just over that fraternity thing, that shit was small time when they are literally making billions
>>
>>62784973
Agreed. That last shot in OP's pic depicts that perfectly.
>>
>>62784899
I mean it's a sensible chuckle-tier play on words but the movie doesn't really have any parallels to actual greek tragedies to make it an apt term
>>
>>62783064

best parts of this movie were the trailer and rashida jones
>>
>>62784988

a cold, callous individual who is full of feelings of anxiety and jealous for his best friend while also falling victim to the persuasive sway of an arrogant douchebag who uses his influence on him to coerce him into shutting that best friend out of a deal. I think these things are part of the reason but I also think the movie (much like There Will Be Blood) presents us with a difficult, complicated character who's actions are difficult to reconcile because he is not fully human in the way that most functioning, moral human beings are. Some things are beyond his consideration.
>>
>>62784988
It's always about a bitch
>>
File: rtr4difg.jpg (65 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
rtr4difg.jpg
65 KB, 1024x683
Most of the facts in this movie were bullshit. Mark is doing just fine
>>
>>62784879
>Sorkin is a master of pseudo-untellectual white collar hackery and this tepid deposition drama is a testament to his "oeuvre"
Holy fuck you sound so faggily try-hard.
>>
>>62784988
Everything in the movie is about trying to impress Erica.

Everything.

The way he uses Erica's line on the twins.
The way he tells Eduardo "WE MUST EXPAND" after Erica has no idea what Facebook is.
The way he asks Sean if he still cares about his old girlfriend.
And the fucking ending.

He'll do anything to get the attention of that girl because she really hurt him, even gutting his own friends.
>>
>white guy
>Eduardo

Are they going to cast a white guy for Tyrone?
>>
>>62785152
Hey mark. You totally seem fine bro
>>
>>62785152
they falsified a lot of stuff just to imbue him with a sense of purpose and narrative, because irl Zuckerberg is just some boring bro who used to be douchey then grew out of it. His "genius" wasn't born of great drama, he just made a site one day and it caught on.
>>
>>62785251
SIDF go fuck yourself. Sorkin is literally the worst writer to win an Oscar. The way he writes is like that song "Runaround" but in real life. Awful, cloying appeals to FEELINGS and a moral high ground that he thinks somehow existed in the 60s or 70s (aka his childhood). In reality, he's just a nostalgic twat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95qHOmoUXs
>>
>>62783164
I actually think he's very overrated, but that The Social Network is a really good movie.

>>62783117
Idk, something about the drama of a rise to power and ending up fucking over your friends and feeling isolated... I like the scene where his friend destroys his laptop in a fit of rage.
>>
File: advanceautism.jpg (42 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
advanceautism.jpg
42 KB, 400x400
>>62783320
You liked and then decided to hate it?
>>
>>62783064

I thought the movie was fantastic. The soundtrack, the acting, man all of it it's great shit.
>>
It's one of those films that if I start it, I end up finishing it. Very smooth, engaging watch.
>>
>>62785272
Yeah, this was something that went over my head on the first viewing. Then I read the script out of curiosity and his motivations suddenly became very clear. I watched the movie again with this in mind and it gave some new perspective to understanding why the scenes play out the way they do. Ultimately, I don't think the movie was out to portray Mark as a conniving backstabber asshole. Instead it was more like watching a guy working through his stages of grief/depression/rejection. If anything, I interpreted that final scene to be his "redemption". His girlfriend broke up with him at the start because he was a condescending ass, and everything else in the movie is just him trying to grab her attention. It's not until the end that he decides to genuinely reach out to her instead of trying to make her jealous, envious, or angry.
>>
File: jesse-eisenberg.png (252 KB, 286x586) Image search: [Google]
jesse-eisenberg.png
252 KB, 286x586
>>62783064
D R O P P E D
>>
>>62786483
interesting take.

i always saw the ending as quite depressing, he sold out his best and only real friend, and the irony is the person who created this website to connect with your friends has none himself.

so he tries adding his ex gf, and with being so desperate sits there doing nothing but refreshing the page, in hopes of actually creating a real relationship with anyone
>>
>>62783420

>contributing money
>contributing his own high end connections risking his social credibility by not getting kicked out for promoting spam
>being a bro to a total social bomb like fuckerberg

but yeah it's better to watch the movie not knowing that knowledge
>>
>>62786906
Did you really have to look it up
>>
>>62784973

they portrayed him as a quick-witted, fast talking guy who beat the jocks and businessmen, when in reality he was a major sperglord who was just in the right place at the right time
>>
>>62786906
Holy shit. I wonder if this means Steven Spielberg is Jewish.
>>
>>62787477

>this work of fictional art isn't 100% completely accurate to the events that it's based upon!

people who complain about the accuracy of a movie to real life or to the book it's based upon are generally people who have basically no understanding or appreciation of art. how on earth could it matter how accurate the movie is? the movie took Zuckerberg's story and used it as a metaphor for something else. His "real" existence doesn't matter at all. Seriously grow the fuck up mate. Even if you dislike the movie, dislike it for proper reasons, not whining about its factual inaccuracies like some smug 17 year old.
>>
>>62784988

It had nothing to do with the fraternity, it was barely even Mark's decision. The company just grew much bigger, much quicker, than anybody expected, and Eduardo just couldn't keep up. He was out of his league. He was just a kid, and not an idiot-savant type like Mark. It was all good when they were just buddies running a campus website, but he had no place as CFO of a multi-million dollar company.

He was spinning his wheels out in New York, still mostly focused on finishing his education, and the company kept growing without him. The nail in the coffin was when he decided to freeze the bank account, which could've killed the company, and suddenly they had a good excuse to cut him out.

But really, it was just a matter of too much money, too quickly. It was handled very poorly on Mark's part (at least the way they showed it in the movie) but it really couldn't be avoided, unless Eduardo would've willingly stepped down to a position with less responsibility than CFO.
>>
>>62783064
I felt the whole thing was Fincher and Sorkin fighting each other. And while I think Fincher came out on top, it was not a convincing win.
>>
For some reason I keep picturing this scene with Talking Heads "This must be the place" playing in the background
>>
>>62783064
>The movie is pretty shit
/tv/ and /v/ never fail to be full of contrarian fuckheads.
>>
>>62787612
>He actually browses /v/
Leave
>>
>>62787584

this is just such a terrible, diminishing way of understanding the movie. Stop thinking about the practical concerns that might have been involved in this FICTIONAL film. The movie is clearly on the side of Eduardo and in Mark's betrayal it is meant to be turning him into a difficult, troublesome character that we have to think about. Just turning it into some practical business decision ignores the movie's ideas and turns it into something crass.
>>
File: V22 Osprey crash.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
V22 Osprey crash.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>62783064
It had what is probably the most realistic hacking scene in cinema history

https://youtu.be/VSKoVsHs_Ko
>>
>>62785326

How do you know these things sempai?
>>
>>62783320
>expecting something from sorkin
>judging a movie based on its accuracy and not based on its merits as a movie
>>
>>62787042
I initially felt that was how it ended as well. Watching it with the impression that he wants Erica to notice him/want him back kind of spins it differently for me though. There's that scene midway through where he tries to talk to her as she's having dinner with her friends and he tries to casually bring up facebook and fails. It seemed like he was looking for a way to reach back out to her without giving up some sense of pride. At the end he just gives up all false pretenses and friends her. I think the Rashida Jones character kind of sums up his arc something along the lines of "You're not an asshole, stop trying so hard to be one," or something similar.
>>
File: gervais.jpg (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
gervais.jpg
1 B, 486x500
>>62784879
Dude, you sound like just the hugest condescending, autistic, insufferable faggot.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>62786906
>Eisenberg
Wow who would have guessed
>>
>>62788297
lol what does Shirley Temple have to do with this dude
>>
>>62788297
Sorkin just brings out the worst in me, sweetcheeks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqqel8-Beog
>>
>>62784879

what's your problem?

actual guy you responded to by the way. I apologize that I didn't write out a thorough, considered review for your edification but I must tell you that your knee-jerk condescension is far more reminiscent of p4k's empty bullshit than my initial praise was.

I wonder if you think "pseudo-untellectual white collar hackery" is actually a meaningful statement because if you do then you must be pretty pathetic.
>>
>>62787704
It is 100% realistic. They copy pasted the actual blog post Mark wrote.
>>
>>62788529
http://dublindigital.ie/original-mark-zuckerberg-drunken-blog-posts-night-facemash/
>>
>>62788409
Except that statement is 100% accurate when dissecting Sorkin's style, where every character is a fast-talking witty white collar professional that has the exact same voice regardless of gender, age, race, or even sexual orientation. This is demonstrated when he quite literally recycles his quips in every single script. Whether or not my conjecture is reminiscent of p4k's style is irrelevant, because you started the purple prose with such terms as "throbbing and atmospheric" so my accusation is still valid. Sorkin is a man who can't write a damn without a nose full of blow (he could barely right WITH it), and I'm the pathetic one?
>>
>>62788529
heh, that's pretty cool.

I kind of wondered how the script writer knew so much. Figured he just did a ton of research beforehand.
>>
When did the fincher is bad meme start?
>>
>>62787656

That was exactly how everything was laid out in the film. I didn't even think I was reaching, that's just what happened. The whole point isn't that Mark goes full supervillain and fucks his friend over for no reason, the point is that he's a cold, practical-thinking kind of guy. In his mind, the "correct" business decision took easy priority over a close friendship.

That's what makes the whole dynamic interesting. On paper, it's the "right" decision, but in execution, everything about it just felt wrong. It was morally questionable, not black and white, this wasn't supposed to be the moment where we're like "oh so Mark's the bad guy, this is a movie with good guys and bad guys and now I know he's a bad guy."
>>
>>62788838
Whenever reddit took over
>>
>>62788624

given that you keep making mistakes like "untellectual" and "right," yeah, I'd say you're looking like the pathetic one
>>
>>62788624

also how on earth are words like atmospheric and throbbing viewed as purple prose? are you sure you know the meaning of that phrase?
>>
this movie was boring as shit fuck y'all
>>
>>62788922
>>62788838
Aloha, Reddit
>>
>>62788964
>>62788987
Even with my spelling mistakes I am still a better righter than Sorkin. THAT is pathetic. And your conflicting adjectives are purple prose because they say nothing about what the soundtrack actually is, only that you're easily impressed by boring things.
>>
>>62789010
Sup reddit.
>>
>>62789137

how are those two adjectives conflicting? please explain.
>>
>>62789160
how can something be throbbing and atmospheric when throbbing implies discomfort/abrasive and atmospheric implies the exact opposite? is it your first day trying to verbalize your thoughts?
>>
>>62789207

are you serious right now? you sound incredibly uneducated.

throbbing, meaning a beat or sound with a strong regular rhythm; to pulsate steadily.

atmospheric, meaning the creation of a distinctive mood.

how in your retard mind are those two words conflicting?
>>
File: 1351625603851.jpg (32 KB, 509x509) Image search: [Google]
1351625603851.jpg
32 KB, 509x509
>>62784879

>Sorkin is a master of pseudo-untellectual white collar hackery and this tepid deposition drama is a testament to his "oeuvre"

The hardest of the tryhards
>>
>>62789414
>how in your retard mind are those two words conflicting?
The exact way I described it. Perhaps read it without thinking of Trent Reznor's dick this time. "a beat or sound with a strong regular rhythm" is not the definition of throbbing to anybody. "Creation of a distinctive mood"? Congratulations on literally saying nothing and sapping whatever meaning you were going for. Here's a tip for next time: Ever single piece of music in the history of the world creates a distinctive mood. I hope you grow out of trying to sound smart when your taste gets better.
>>
>>62787538
now that I think of it..
SHEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
>>
>>62789207

Jesus, dude. Throbbing and atmospheric aren't mutually exclusive. A track can have an atmospheric tone in the background and a throbbing baseline in the foreground. Have you listened to music before? Also, a soundtrack is comprised of numerous tracks all of which, GASP, are usually different. Why is it so crazy that some of them might be throbbing and some atmospheric?

Crawl back into your autism hole, jesus christ...
>>
>>62789504
Sorkin is even more of a "tryhard" than I ever could be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA
>>
>>62789551

Um, anyone who listens to music would associate the words throbbing, or possibly pulsating, with the sound of the music in the Social Network. And um, feel free to use a dictionary to see if I'm wrong but you'll see that you're being a dumb cunt. Also you clearly know that if you're going to describe something as atmospheric in a film then it means that element is contributing to the overall distinctive feeling of the film, and no, I'm sorry to rid you of this notion but most bad movies do not succeed at all in creating an all-encompassing atmosphere. Anyway, you can feel you're special because you arbitrarily hate on Fincher (who is admittedly a pretty spotty director) but don't for a second think that your lack of intelligence is worth bringing up in front of us.
>>
File: Corbis-42-23636605.jpg (65 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Corbis-42-23636605.jpg
65 KB, 480x480
>>62789621
>insult the master Trent Reznor at your own peril!
>>
File: cool_fedora9.jpg (359 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
cool_fedora9.jpg
359 KB, 720x540
>>62789667
>Anyway, you can feel you're special because you arbitrarily hate on Fincher (who is admittedly a pretty spotty director) but don't for a second think that your lack of intelligence is worth bringing up in front of us.
Pic related. So every music listener has to think like you? I'd probably kill myself if I ever had to live in your head.
>>
>>62789691

I'm not even defending Trent Reznor. I'm just saying you're a retard.
>>
>>62789733
>>62789691

and the moron of the conversation has completely accepted his inability to defend his position or acknowledge his terrible diction so he's been reduced to spouting memes. have a good night my man!
>>
>>62789660

Do you know what tryhard means?
>>
>>62789794
At least I don't use "throbbing" and "atmospheric" in the same sentence.
>>
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK
>>
>>62789137
>better writer than Sorkin
>Is an absolute no one
Are you autistic?
>>
>>62783117
its a wellmade film about success in the 21st century
>>
>>62789137

>I am still a better righter than Sorkin.
>righter
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.