[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spartacus or Ben-Hur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: spartvsbenh.png (140 KB, 301x216) Image search: [Google]
spartvsbenh.png
140 KB, 301x216
obviously they're both objective classics who laid the groundwork for hollywood megaproductions but which do you think is the better movie overall
>>
Ben-Hur is amazing, never got the appeal of Spartacus and I think it's the weakest Kubrick
>>
>>62767957
even weaker than his earliest stuff like Killer's Kiss and Fear & Desire, not that they aren't also good
>>
>>62768057
Haven't seen those two, was hoping I wouldn't be called on this fact but life is hard on /tv/
>>
Ben-Hur obviously.
>>
>>62768104
I mean I haven't seen them either, I was just curious.

And honestly Spartacus was Kirk Douglas and Dalton Trumbo's film more than Kubrick's. Which is why I think he had such autistic asspain over the production.
>>
>>62768122
Why do you think that's obvious, I mean sure the chariot scene is bitchin but how does that compare to the scene where Spartacus has to break his vow to never be involved in a gladiator fight ever again to make sure that his friend doesn't get crucified.
>>
>>62768146
The chariot scene is what is remembered most, but it's not even the best scene in the film IMO. The scene where he's being marched without water is so beautifully shot, as is the ship sequence.

Aside from the film just looking better, I always loved the dynamic between Heston and Boyd. Maybe "obviously" was a bit strong, but in my mind Ben-Hur is considerably more enjoyable.
>>
Hard for me to choice desu, grew up watching both with my dad. I love Spartacus for Laurence Oliver and Charles Laughton though, but overall Ben but is letter.
>>
>>62768213
"It goes on. It goes on Judah. The race, is not over."
>>
File: ben-hur-movie-image-2.jpg (296 KB, 1600x1229) Image search: [Google]
ben-hur-movie-image-2.jpg
296 KB, 1600x1229
Ben Hur, the relationship between Ben Hur and Messala is one of the greatest revenge stories in film. That and just the spectacle of Hur is larger, grander. Wyler had mastered his craft when he made Ben Hur while I feel Kubrick was still coming into his own at the time, pretty sure Kubrick was not pleased with the finished product of Spartacus.

That and the chariot race is god tier in the world of physical stunts/effects.
>>
Ben-Hur without a doubt

I am honestly not that much of a fan of Spartacus.
>>
ben-hur meet jesus, make it a automatic 10/10
>>
>>62767926
>One is a decent and emotional piece of cinema
>the other is fedora reddit memes that promotes rebellion
Not a very difficult choice.
>>
>>62767926
Both are great but ben hur is more great senpai
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.