[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FILM CRITIC THREAD #1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 13scot600.1.jpg (64 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
13scot600.1.jpg
64 KB, 600x300
Why do I never see any film critic threads on here?
I bet most of you plebs never take the time to read any of these people's work before blabbing your gut reactions to all your friends or worse, shitposting here with your idon'tknowanything/10 scores.

Who are your favorite film critics and why, /tv/?

Who do you read most often? Who do you disagree with?

Not that he's my favorite, but I read Devin Faraci the most and it's fun to disagree with him sometimes. I think he may be the next Roger Ebert, a populist with a real understanding of film, who uses plain language and has a tendency to be absolutely scathing. His podcast with Amy Nicolson reminds me a lot of Sisko and Ebert At The Movies, too.

You may shit on my opinions now. But with your collective meme intelligence I doubt this thread comes near the bump limit.
>>
>>62747813
>Why do I never see any film critic threads on here?
What are you talking about? We have plenty of threads about pleb faggot YouTube critics!

Faraci is a stupid SJW faggot creep btw. Fuck him.
>>
>>62747813
Manohla Dargis and A.O. Scott
>>
File: 1378691547354.gif (2 MB, 340x308) Image search: [Google]
1378691547354.gif
2 MB, 340x308
>>62747813
>implying its work
critics are failed artists that bring nothing to the creative world. go fuck yourself OP.
>>
>>62747909
so you think that making it possible for a larger audience to appreciate films on a deeper level brings nothing to the creative world?

You don't think some of the greatest filmmakers of our time were inspired by/brought into the limelight by critics like ebert?

You must have the intelligence of a snail
>>
File: Based Brody.jpg (547 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Based Brody.jpg
547 KB, 500x500
Ebert because he was one of the greatest. His love and insight of the medium was contagious and he was a wonderful writer.

Now, Richard Brody. A true intellect, really knows his shit.
>>
I liked Ebert as a personality and the fact that he could be a cheeky cunt, but god damn some of his reviews are just aweful and surface level.

>Reading his reviews for The Elephant Man and Ordinary People

It's a tragedy.
>>
>>62747864
why
>>
The only American critic that can even approach the title of intellectual is White.
>>
>>62748058
There's also times where he clearly wasn't paying attention while watching, like his Training Day review.
>>
>>62748090
They don't write with venom, they aren't bothered too much by "standards", and they aren't afraid to use big words.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 640x464) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 640x464
Who Pauline /Kael/ here?

Beatifully written, short and sweet reviews, can be harsh, only watches films once, has opinions that sometimes boggle my mind but she's a joy to read, if a bit of a cunt.
>>
>>62748163
Evil bitch made David Lean have a nervous breakdown.
>>
File: king of tv.jpg (33 KB, 296x278) Image search: [Google]
king of tv.jpg
33 KB, 296x278
Opinion on his body of work?
>>
>>62747970
Well I've read his review of Hard to be A God and he doesn't come across as such a big art coinnoseeur. Make no mistake, that film is a masterpiece but his interpretation was rather elementary and lacking when contrasted to his confident penning. A lot of refinishment, sure words, but like Armond White, very few to none insight into the subject analyzed (the film). I understand it's a complicated film though.
>>
>>62748215
Lel.

It terrifies me when I agree with him. Like on sicario (which he says is a heavily conservative movie)
>>
>>62748197
Just speaks to her power
>>
>>62748215
This man honestly claims to have enjoyed Norbit
>>
Andres Bazin, Truffaut, Godard, Rivette, pretty much the golden era of Cahiers du Cinema critics. Also Eisenstein.
>>
What would we do without auteur theory, bros?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.