[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's the David Foster Wallace of cinema?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: david_foster_wallace2.jpg (307 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
david_foster_wallace2.jpg
307 KB, 750x500
Who's the David Foster Wallace of cinema?
>>
>>62742528
Tarr. Needlessly long, mediocre, and overrated by people with absolutely zero taste
>>
>>62742552
mediocre is being too kind to tarr
>>
>>62742528
Jason Segel
>>
>>62742552
I can tell you haven't read a single thing DFW has written.
>>
>>62742631
Incorrect. DFWfags are easily
Buttblasted
>>
>>62742631
You realize you are replying to Harold Bloom, right?
>>
Not necessarily in terms of style or aesthetic but I feel like with regard to the sincerity/authenticity thing that Jerry Maguire is a movie DFW would find fun.
>>
>>62742675

Why do you assume Jerry Maguire is intrinsically authentic just because it isn't explicitly "ironic"?
>>
>>62742552
>tarr
>mediocre

It's just plain shite
>>
>>62742644
Consider the lobster, huh?
>>
What's so good about him? Is he a meme?
>>
>>62743316

He made one of the flagships of posmodern literature and then lived and died as a mememan.

A God among men, dare I say
>>
>>62742552
The first post is always the best.
>>
>>62742528
C A R R U T H
>>
File: DXHR.gif (1022 KB, 235x242) Image search: [Google]
DXHR.gif
1022 KB, 235x242
>>62742575

I see what you did there.
>>
Stanley Kubrick, easily.
>>
Chris Pratt
>>
>>62743286
Post-modern or not, that title always struck me as being particularly pretentious. Infinite Jest is overrated; the author is overrated and largely got where he got at such an early age because mummy and daddy were in the literary business. Having your undergraduate thesis published and circulated just smacks of obvious nepotism. Even if he was extremely talented, the likelihood of something like that actually happening is insanely low unless you have parents deep in academic and literary circles - which he did - which renders his initial work somewhat null and void. The book he is known for, Infinite Jest, really isn't anything special. It's laborious to get through and he can't match Joyce so you'd be better off just reading Joyce. Ultimately, Wallace is a freshman tier writer who had the right connections and knew how to put across the right image. Don't believe the hype. Get over yourself.
>>
>>62742528
>>62743486

So, what you're saying is that Sofia Coppola is the DFW of cinema?

think about it, it holds up
>>
>>62743525
pretty much
>>
Terrence Malick
>>
>>62742528
David Cameron, obviously.
>>
>>62743525

Lost in translation is her Infinite jest
>>
>>62743648
yes
>>
File: zoidberg.png (159 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
zoidberg.png
159 KB, 1024x768
Why not Zoidberg?
>>
>>62744017
I never realized till right this second that the only Doctor on that show had a Jewish name
Shit he even had a jewy accent, and his uncle was a Hollywood producer
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.