[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
will the force awakens stick to the physics of space? i mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
will the force awakens stick to the physics of space?
i mean like no sound there and stuff like that?
>>
Star Trek is science fantasy not SciFi you fucking dweeb.
>>
Hopefully not.
>>
i mean, watch this...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2imits
>>
>>62734086
We know it won't, you can hear Finn's craft explode.
>>
>>62734086
No.
Until very recently I thought that returning to that "hard" aspect of Sci-Fi (i.e. no sound in space) was about to become a thing again. Think of "Gravity" and "Interstellar".
Then I watched "The Martian"...

anyway: It wouldn't be Star Wars without Ben Burtt's brilliant sound design!
I just think it will be slightly more realistic in what realism modern VFX work can achieve (i.e. no giant explosions in space but tons of debris if a ship is hit by a weapon or explodes. That's one element that JJ kinda introduced with his two Star Trek movies and it would be just as fitting for Star Wars)
>>
>>62734105
Where did he call it SciFi?
>>
>>62734234
*in what ADDITIONAL realism...
>>
>>62734234
But Interstellar has a giant explosion in space, just with no sound.

I think it is pretty much agreed that all the gasses contained in spacecraft could easily ignite given the correct circumstances. You could, however, argue that TIES are not pressurized which is why the pilots wear the head gear.
>>
>>62734086
thank god star wars has its own physics, that would suck
>>
>>62734250
He's clarifying it because OP doesn't seem to understand the difference based on his question.
>>
>>62734354
Let's not go too much into detail here. Of course a lot of stuff MIGHT happen. And TIEs may or may not be pressurized – that's a good question to sperg about.
My point was: Of course Ep. VII will go for the established "space with sound and explosions and close-range laser combat and everything" approach.
But JJ's Star Trek movies proved that you can add a BIT of realism without straying too far from that established formula
>>
>>62734361
Best part of he prequels?
The "seismic charge" sound effect:

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...PANGGGGGG!
>>
>>62734354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJk-ePqPdY
>>
File: 1418324907574.jpg (187 KB, 1096x1022) Image search: [Google]
1418324907574.jpg
187 KB, 1096x1022
>>62734354
>>62734600
meant this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

also the Empire did nothing wrong and Sheev was the true hero of the galaxy
>>
>>62734234
The solution they found in "gravity" was absolutely brilliant in its simplicity: Let the audience hear what an actual astronaut would hear (albeit arguably somewhat amplified) and let the movie's score do the rest.

It's like Cuarón took Kubrick's approach (i.e. complementing score and imagery but no SFX) and added that immersive element. I sure loved the result!
>>
>>62734354
They could ignite. They just wouldn't burn very long.
Star Wars without the TIE fighters' trademark stuka wail wouldn't be the same though.
>>
>>62734585
hell yeah
>>
File: 1359331405203.jpg (34 KB, 226x278) Image search: [Google]
1359331405203.jpg
34 KB, 226x278
>>62734678

Too bad he didn't sit down and read through a single Wikipedia article before writing it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_plane_(astronomy)
>>
>>62735443
I was referring mereky to the solution to the "no sound in space" problem here.
There's actually a slew of other problems with this movie (who in their right mind would think that spacecrafts' outer airlock door would open OUTWARD? Well, who in their right mind would think a spacecraft's airlock was pressurized the whole time in the first place...)
>>
>>62734086

Imagining Star Wars all realistic outer space without the pew pew pew laser bullshit is kind of weird. It wouldn't feel consistent and the fantasy sound design is a big part of the movies.
>>
>>62735570
*merely
and
*airlock doors

Forgive my sloppy typing. i can literally use only two fingers atm due to one rather embarrassing and highly annoying bicycle accident...
>>
File: 1377638956106.gif (3 MB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1377638956106.gif
3 MB, 380x380
>>62734086

>no characteristic Tie Fighter scream

I don't think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkHdgMOuuBs
>>
>>62734796
>>62734585
>>62734234
>>62735678

Ben Burtt is like... the Mozart of noise. The only thing that was aboluteky consistent throughout every single Star Wars movie so far was the quality of the sound design
>>
Since May May Abrams is directing I can guarantee there will be one "no sound in space" shot and then the rest of the movie will be like normal Star Wars.
>>
>>62735794
I've read about the sound design of Star Wars somewhere quite a while ago.
If I remember correctly, Burtt achieved that sound by recording a busy highway and then pitching up the recording while combining several tracks of it.
And the lightsaber hum was the sound of electric discharges caused by waving a stripped cable at a crt screen combined with a couple of other sounds,
>>
>>62734622
Thank you Sheev
>>
File: 1287446118634.jpg (86 KB, 310x331) Image search: [Google]
1287446118634.jpg
86 KB, 310x331
>>62736035
>Burtt achieved that sound by recording a busy highway and then pitching up the recording while combining several tracks of it.

>didn't watch the video
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.