[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gregg Turkington's new movie 'Entertainment'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 12
Gregg Turkington's new movie 'Entertainment' is out on KAT,

https://kat.cr/entertainment-2015-720p-web-dl-750mb-mkvcage-t11580215.html#main shitty version for poor people with bad computers like me

https://kat.cr/entertainment-2015-720p-web-dl-dd5-1-h264-rarbg-t11579983.html higher res

If you liked the Comedy this is by the same director, Rick Alverson.
>>
Is this real?
>>
>>62711318
yes
>>
>>62710340
I hope he got poppa Tim's approval as a member of the at cinema family he really needs to be careful of side projects it could take away from his true family
>>
>>62710340
Thanks, was gunna download from PTP though

I'm always curious as to why The Comedy is rated so low..
>>
>tfw autodownloaded from PTP and already seeded to a 5.0 ratio
>>
>>62711437
it's stupidily easy to get upload with their bonus point system
>>
your thoughts on the ending of the comedy?

i think it was brilliant. it really touched me. after forcing me to hate his character for nearly the entire movie, he's shown innocently playing in the ocean with that kid. seemingly underwhelming but it is the only time he shows non-fabricated emotion or seems like he's even remotely enjoying himself. it somehow found a way to make me feel pity for the monster he portrays. because when you know some part of him can be happy, you know that deep down he knows his actions are all an act seated in some bitterness or depression that he must somehow be aware of.
>>
>>62711507
it's also easy when you're first to snatch
>>
>>62711580
this 2bh

>tfw you never feel genuine emotion about anything

hit me right in the feels tbqh
>>
>>62711580
Agreed. It felt like an uplifting ending, although I've heard other interpretations that it was a sad ending
Instead of hating him I just saw myself in him, which probably enhanced my experience tremendously
>>
Man, they really fucked up the sound design with this one. The use of that ambiance (fucking middle eastern string shit sometimes) got really tiring. It would have been much better without it. Other than that it was pretty good; doesn't trump The Comedy though.
>>
>>62712705
Also best scene was the "you little whore" scene
>>
File: 1443040914568.jpg (713 KB, 1205x1200) Image search: [Google]
1443040914568.jpg
713 KB, 1205x1200
>>62711813
>>
File: 1447280531100.jpg (331 KB, 1443x853) Image search: [Google]
1447280531100.jpg
331 KB, 1443x853
nice nice nice nice nice

5 bags and 2 little vials of cyanide
>>
>>62712163
>>62711813
that's interesting. i saw him as a monster, completely inhuman and jarring, though i've heard others describe them experiencing it similarly to the way you two have.

it speaks to the truth of that movie that so few people were able to get beyond the surface of it i think. it seems the admirers are split into two categories, those that can see beyond the crass and repugnant behavior in the film through to the relevant and poignant ending, and those who sympathize with the MC.
>>
>>62713590
Yeah, it seems like it. That scene where he wanders the hospital then rides his boat... I teared up and almost cried
>>
Thanks OP!
>>
I felt like this movie was constantly daring me to stop watching it and that's not a compliment or good in any way
>>
did he understand spanish or was he laughing at the situation / for politeness with the old man?
>>
Lots of stuff in this movie was way more "on the nose" than I think they thought it would be when they were writing it.

Like the, "At least you only have to put on glasses" thing.
>>
>>62714564
it was an odd combination of really dull obvious symbolism and half assed ambiguity forced on the narrative, the combined result is just grating.

I just checked and it's only 1 hour and 45 minutes long but I swear to god it felt like it was 5.
>>
I don't understand this 'series' of films.

How am I supposed to sincerely engage with these people when 1) they've never sincerely engaged with an audience in real life and 2) they essentially refuse to sincerely engage with the product they make?

You can't suddenly say, "Oh but this one is art. Don't judge it. I'm still going to give kooky press interviews. On Cinema!"
>>
>>62714925
this doesn't have anything to do with on cinema
>>
>>62714509
He only likes Mexican humor. That's why he also laughed at the telenovella.
>>
>>62710340
TURKINGTON IS A LEGEND

TURKINGTON: 1
HEIDECKER : 0
>>
Definite five bagger!
>>
>>62715542
the most annoying thing about trying to read anything about Entertainment is the horde of On Cinema fans that spam the comments with shit related to it instead of actually engaging about the film
>>
>>62714925
>2) they essentially refuse to sincerely engage with the product they make?
>You can't suddenly say, "Oh but this one is art. Don't judge it. I'm still going to give kooky press interviews. On Cinema!"

gregg + tim + rick have been giving legitimate press interviews "out of character" for Entertainment for a while now, and they did the same for the comedy. interviewers always try to bring up their comedic content in relation to it but they usually sidestep the questions to talk about the film's ethos.
>>
Which Alverson protagonist suffers more?
Which was the shittier person?
>>
>>62715859
For how emotionally stunted, entirely disconnected, and insincere that Tim's character is in The Comedy, he's still privileged and wealthy and has some semblance of a chance to fix his life, but probably won't. He's the end result of American utopianism and wasted opportunity. He's a shitty person, but his suffering is sadly remediable.

Neil in Entertainment is pretty much done for, pure despair, no hope, no real future beyond cycling through shitty bars and clubs in the desert. Neil, however broken he is, isn't a bad person. You can infer he made a lot of poor life choices that led him to where he is, but he's not an actively vile person, he's trapped in purgatory and his suffering probably won't end.
>>
>>62711580
the movie wasn't forcing you to hate him, they were getting you to sympathize with him. Learn to read your emotions right pleb
>>
File: VZM.IMG_20151113_130126.jpg (33 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
VZM.IMG_20151113_130126.jpg
33 KB, 750x750
Just finished watching it.
Loved The Comedy. Thought this was almost as good.
But I don't get it. I appreciate that it made me feel. But what was it, you know? When was he on the Mexican show? Was he actually? Is there any hope for him? Did he refuse to stay with Michael Cera just because he's an asshole? What did the birth scene mean, and did it actually happen? Why did he run away from the internet video guys?
>>
>>62717363
>But what was it, you know?

Entertainment is intentionally really difficult to read, Rick Alverson is a formalist first and foremost, he's more concerned with how shot composition and color dictate the tone and impart meaning rather than imparting it through a standard narrative. A lot of the events in the film are incidental to the overall intended meaning. To Alverson, the film is about our relationship with modern entertainment, and his hatred of the majority of commercial media that employs no naturalistic view of the world and solely exists to give us a feel good buzz. Making movies for him is solely an excuse to fuck with cinematic convention and push back against contemporary "this is how you're supposed to feel" filmmaking.

Which is great and all, but my post doesn't address any of the actual shit in the narrative, because I don't know how to read a lot of it. Gregg's character is already a well and broken man, endlessly running a purgatorial circuit with absolute no hope. The mexican show is essentially an escape for him that evolves into delusion when he goes into it, it goes from something he dreams about to a full psychotic break. He refused to stay with Michael Cera because he was a creepy hustler in a bathroom. That event was more indicative of the hell he was descending into rather than any sort of commentary on his character. The stillborn baby delivery in the bathroom reflects on his estrangement with his daughter, and the scenes that follow it involving the children making faces into his car only compound his loss. You could infer that the majority of his despair in the film initially stemmed from that estrangement. It definitely happened in the film, and he did the right thing. He's a miserable and empty man, but he's not a bad person. He walks away from the internet video kids because he's drained, he doesn't want to be used anymore, people only want him for the character that he portrays.
>>
>>62717794
cont.

It calls back to the idea that the film is a meditation on the relationship between people and their entertainment. This is also explored in the scene before he goes on stage, and he believes that the other stage comedian is telling him a random story about his son, before going on stage and telling the same story again, revealing that that performer was just testing a bit on him. He's tired of being used.

That's my take on some of it I guess, didn't expect to write so much but that's the beauty of Rick Alverson's work, it effectively forces you to engage and dissect it. If you aren't willing to do this then you end up posting on 4chan about how the movie is shit and nothing happened.
>>
Is this an ironically bad movie or something?
>>
>>62717853
nope, it's sincerely good.
>>
>>62712705
I thought the sound design was pretty solid, but nothing will ever top The Disintegration Loops being played over the whiffleball/bicycling scene in The Comedy, that's a top fucking kek.
>>
>>62712736
Happened in real life too.
>>
>>62717363
>>62717794

Michael Cera was planning on killing Gregg or at least thats what Gregg thought
>>
It was 2 deep 4 me. I enjoyed the comedy but don't know why really. This movie just made me depressed.

I've been a Neil Hamburger fan for a long time, ever since I caught him on Tom Green's old show. I genuinely enjoy his act though, not what it symbolizes. I also like On Cinema.
>>
>>62719761
>It was 2 deep 4 me. I enjoyed the comedy but don't know why really.

Have you tried thinking about it? Dissecting what you found appealing, how you potentially related to it or what you were repulsed by? Why don't you want to engage critically with the things you enjoy, and be passive in your consumption of media?
>>
I'm gonna rent it today bros, to support Gregg, Rick, Tim, and good independent cinema. Does that make me a good person? Maybe. Smug? Perhaps. But I just want to be a patron of select, worthy arts. I'll be back in a little bit.
>>
>>62719761
>ever since I caught him on Tom Green's old show
Take your hat off
>>
>>62715718
Based
>>
I cant wait for Tim to give this one star of popcorn
>>
>>62720358
Tim can't give it one bag of popcorn, because he's IN the movie.
>>
fuck of shill sage sage sage
>>
>>62713590
I'm not like the character but I do sympathize with him on an inner emotional level. I don't go around acting out and being an asshole all the time, but I definitely identified with that kind of psychology and feeling.
As far as your assessment on the two kinds of people who like the movie, I feel like I'm in both categories.
>>
>>62720684
he linked a free fucking torrent you autist
>>
>going to see this tonight with Gregg and Alverson Q and A afterwards
what should i ask m8s?
>>
>>62711405
Tim's in this as well, what kind of fan are you?
>>
>>62720883
don't ask any questions about on cinema, it's really embarrassing for everyone and especially you
>>
>>62717794
>>62717819
good posts.
>>
thanks for the heads up OP, been waiting for this
>>
>>62720883
Ask him about the use of the same ambiance in alot of the scenes. What was the purpose; was he trying to establish a mood that could only be achieved with the fucking middle eastern string? I honestly didn't get why it kept recurring.
>>
>>62718146
story/source?
>>
>>62722086
https://youtu.be/yhhXLZNL4IQ?t=128

he tells the whole story here
>>
which would be best for the first rick alverson to watch this or the comedy?
>>
>>62722310
i'd say watch the comedy first
>>
>>62722310
definitely The Comedy first. Entertainment is not as good but it is still pretty good.
>>
>>62710340
>If you liked the Comedy
I hated that movie before I even watched it. Watching it made me hate it even more.

I never even heard of this movie until right now and it's already making me angry.

>kat.cr

fucking plebs
>>
>>62722416
The Comedy is a better movie than Entertainment but Entertainment is the better film.
>>
>>62722462
sounds like you're a weird little nerd with irrational and likely misconstrued biases
>>
>>62722144
fuck that interviewer, seriously.
>>
>>62722477
no
>>
>>62722563
I'm trying to, we're on our 3rd date now I think it's time
>>
>>62722611
her leading questions are so fucking stupid.
>>
File: tye.jpg (349 KB, 1920x716) Image search: [Google]
tye.jpg
349 KB, 1920x716
wish tye sheridan was in the film a bit more, his character is probably the best thing in it.
>>
That just upset me and I don't think I took anything from it.
>>
>>62710340
boring as fuck, and i loved the comedy

what was even the point.. to troll the audience?
>>
>>62724625
what did you love about the comedy?
>>
>>62717794
Hey, I'm the guy you were replying to originally.
Awesome write up. After a good few hours of thinking it through, I came to the same conclusion to a T and came back to see if anyone had responded.
I love Rick Alverson's movies. I love that they're not strict narratives, I love that they're just times and places and feelings. They're nearly technical masterpieces, and excellent films. Just awesome.
>>
>>62724660
everything. but mainly the lead character and how he has a lot of pain, deals with the world through irony and absurdism, but you pity him, and he also has endearing childlike moments such as when he makes the qt laugh, or plays with the kid. it also says a lot about the hipster irony generation and their lack of anything to believe in, i can relate to the character.

theres way more depth, faster pace, better soundtrack, better symbolism, better acting. i was hype for this but just found it boring and one dimensional, shame tb-h.
>>
>>62722712
I liked his character too. I agree with what anon said about the movie being less concerned with direct symbolism and allegory (although there are a few instances of this) and more with creating a mood with certain scenes/techniques. In a lot of situations like the bathroom birthing scene I don't think there was some deeper meaning to it it was just a weird set piece. I did like the Comedy more but Entertainment was pretty good. Felt like I needed a drink the whole time
>>
>>62717794
>The stillborn baby delivery in the bathroom reflects on his estrangement with his daughter
good observation, I didn't pick up on that at all. as I said here I figured it was just for the mood of the movie, but coupled with that weirdo comedian who was talking about taking his estranged son minigolfing it creates a theme
>>
Gregg's my husbando
>>
>>62724770
Interesting read, I read The Comedy in a different way, mainly focusing on American utopianism and what happens to a person when they've been handed the American dream and aren't forced to pursue/work for anything, and become stunted as a result. based on what you said I can see why you'd be really into The Comedy and have Entertainment fall flat, there's nothing there for you.

>>62724850
Tye's character is really great, I wish I would've written a bit about him in my post, he's Alverson's + Turkington's hate for modern comedy condensed into one extremely reductive package. A literal buffoon shitting himself on stage and throwing it into the audience, who get a great kick out of it.
>>
>>62720039
My nig
>>
>>62725038
As another call back to the theme of how audience relates with their entertainment, I don't think there's a more blantant use of that theme in the film than in the opening scene where Tye is doing his idiot dance on top of the table while everyone's clapping and Entertainment fades in next to him.
>>
>>62724898
I first saw the film a month ago at a film festival, and I've watched it twice since it hit VOD, so I've had a lot of time to meditate on it and make these connections. The first time I watched it I didn't pick up on a lot of it.
>>
>>62717794
>>62717819
what about the girl and all those shirtless dudes?
>>
>>62722712
>All you got is glasses.

Best line in the whole movie.
>>
I just watched it today and I really liked it. I like the Comedy too, but I like Entertainment better. The Comedy was a bit too repetitive and something about the scenes where Tim went on and on and the person he was talking to wouldn't say anything annoyed me for some reason. I don't fully understand Entertainment, but it made me feel and I'll be thinking about it for awhile.
>>
>>62710340

i got a querstion for those that primarily use KAT

do you ever have problems with your ISPs telling you to stop or anything? do you route your downloads through a seedbox or something?
>>
>>62727339
yeah The Comedy soon became scene after scene of an empty man doing empty shit for a reaction.
>>
File: gregg.jpg (166 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
gregg.jpg
166 KB, 1080x608
Just finished it, rented it to try to support them. Excellent. Really beautifully directed and edited, Gregg's great. Horrifying, sad, funny. Bravo Agent Kington.
>>
File: Based Brody.jpg (547 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Based Brody.jpg
547 KB, 500x500
>Not to miss, Rick Alverson's Entertainment, grubby and raunchy, classical and grand:

>The director Rick Alverson gives the age-old trope of the unfunny comedian an extreme new twist in this puckishly aggressive drama. Gregg Turkington, who performs under the name Neil Hamburger, plays a comedian who himself adopts the persona of an awkward, hangdog standup artist, with an intentionally repellent greasy comb-over, whose wheezy riddles are embarrassing and offensive. Booked in depressing venues, performing for crowds that number in the high single digits, the comedian responds to hecklers with ugly sexual invective that makes Don Rickles seem like Mister Rogers. Dreary adventures in sad motels and dank public restrooms clash with the bedraggled purity of the comedian’s oblivious strivings and thwarted dreams. Alverson films a lonely tour in the California desert with poised wide-screen images that lend his grubby wanderings the mythic grandeur of a classic Western. The film is both jagged and suave, like an orchestrated concept album by a garage band. The cast—including John C. Reilly, as the performer’s prosperous cousin (who advises him to cut the references to semen), Michael Cera, Dean Stockwell, Amy Seimetz, and Dustin Guy Defa—completes Alverson’s full-circle union of underground exotica and Hollywood legend.
>>
File: 1426125999075.gif (459 KB, 386x333) Image search: [Google]
1426125999075.gif
459 KB, 386x333
Post yfw Gregg wins Best Actor
>>
File: 1444520304285.png (237 KB, 431x487) Image search: [Google]
1444520304285.png
237 KB, 431x487
>>62727952
>Post yfw Gregg wins Best Actor
>>
>>62727339
>>62727508
>The Comedy was a bit too repetitive

WHYYY?
*cough*
WHYYYYYYY?
*snort*
I came all this way, this long distance, to bring these jokes to you, to make people laugh, these people paid good money, their hard-earned money, to hear these jokes...
>>
File: 1447467110115.jpg (66 KB, 599x551) Image search: [Google]
1447467110115.jpg
66 KB, 599x551
Reminder: Little Tom Cruise Heidecker died because of Tim's own hubris. He got himself emergency surgery when San fucked up, but couldn't do the same for his son. He wanted to abort this kid, and he got his wish -- just not when he wanted. Now, he's fishing for sympathy so he can have a decent album launch.

And Decker vs. Dracula was awesome.
>>
Anyone see Alverson's previous films? New Jerusalem has Will Bonnie "Prince" Billy Oldham in it. Reminded me of these old promos for his Lay and Love album with Gregg/Neil.

https://youtu.be/xHuaJo46Pjc
>>
>>62710340
is there any way to get the comedy is high res/mkv version? the only version i found was an 480p avi.
>>
>>62728402

>Lay and Love album

*durr, actually The Letting Go, Lay and Love is the song
>>
>>62728402
Alverson seems very very sad
>>
>>62728402
i thought new Jerusalem was fucking great, really really sad tho, for me i found it more sad than the comedy and enteratinment, less depressing but more melancholy. if you get a chance check out his first feature which he also co wrote with colm o'leary, who acts in it as well, woiuldve been cool to see him in the comedy or entertainment cus the guys a great actor.

also does anyone know why jagjaguwaur produce his movies when they're a record label, is he friends with the dude who owns the label or something?
>>
File: Normie Reviews lmao.png (170 KB, 860x686) Image search: [Google]
Normie Reviews lmao.png
170 KB, 860x686
>>
>>62728620
>i thought new Jerusalem was fucking great, really really sad tho, for me i found it more sad than the comedy and enteratinment, less depressing but more melancholy. if you get a chance check out his first feature which he also co wrote with colm o'leary, who acts in it as well, woiuldve been cool to see him in the comedy or entertainment cus the guys a great actor.

cool yea i look forward to seeing 'em

That is interesting about the label. The Comedy and Entertainment seem very close to a certain "indie" music sensibility and have well composed and curated scores and soundtracks. Even the precise, almost rhythmic editing somehow feels musical.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kffpi1YtKIo

YOU COCKSUCKER

FUCKER

MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>62728747
I think this happened to The Comedy too
>what?? this wasn't funny at all!! so boring nothing happens!!
or
>omg it was nothing like tim and eric show, fucking boring
>>
>I feel that it’s very important to reach the people, who feel as I do, that this is the type of movie that they’d like to see. I know that if I saw this movie I would enjoy it, and I know that some, not the majority, would feel the same way. There’s also going to be a majority that will see this and say, “What the hell was that? That was a nightmare. Where was the plot?” And I’m not consciously trying to make something to ruin those people’s evening, and to make them tear up their ticket in disgust, but I’m prepared for it. Because if I go see the new Clint Eastwood movie or some action movie, I’m going to be more disgusted, and more distraught, and more angry for days, probably more than people will be with my film. And that’s what I’m dealing with on a daily basis, of being pretty frustrated and disgusted by everything. I’d like to see the tables turned a little bit so now they can feel the revulsion that I feel when I walk into Walgreens and Justin Bieber and Diplo’s music is blaring through the speakers, and I’m paralyzed with horror like, “Why do I have to fucking hear this? I’m just here to buy some Q-tips, and I have to listen to this fucking shit?” Like, I’m under attack by this bad art constantly. Now, they can maybe feel under attack by something that they don’t relate to and is alienating to them. And guess what, they get to go back to feeling pretty good about most things on TV and with most music, and I have to continue to live while being bombarded by bullshit.

insightful interview: http://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/under-attack-by-bad-art-constantly-gregg-turkington-on-entertainment
>>
>>62728747
Those would be funny if they ended them by bestowing only one bag of popcorn
>>
Soo.. was he gay? The ending of the Cera cruising scene made it seem like he gave in...
>>
>>62729335
yeah i thought he let cera suck his dick or something

i couldn't tell if the thing he did at the celebs house was real or an act
>>
>>62729509
i think def did something with cera. because when cera first confronts him he's zipping up his flies but when he's like collapsing on the floor his flies are undone
>>
>>62728285
Now is not the time to point fingers.
>>
>>62729653
>when he's like collapsing on the floor his flies are undone

isn't that after a cut, in a different setting? I may be wrong, but I know what you're talking about, I wondered the same.

The look of resignation he gives, when he closes his eyes right before the cut pretty much seals it.
>>
>>62729702
i was confused by this as well, but i thought the background had the toilet mirrors that you could see when he was washing his hands.
the whole thing was ambiguous and im gonna watch it again tomorrow maybe.
anyone know if the movies gonna be out on blu ray?
>>
for once the critics are right, it's like 80 on RT and like 5 on IMDb

based critics
>>
File: countrywinners.jpg (50 KB, 466x472) Image search: [Google]
countrywinners.jpg
50 KB, 466x472
>>62728834
That entire album is honestly great.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.