[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who should direct a Star Wars movie? Here's my picks: >David
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: 2000px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png (109 KB, 2000x1207) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png
109 KB, 2000x1207
Who should direct a Star Wars movie?

Here's my picks:
>David Lynch
>M. Night Shymalan
>Steven Spielberg
>Christopher Nolan
>Alec Gillis
>Ron Howard
>Rupert Wyatt
>Ridley Scott
>>
>>62689787
No one. The franchise was ruined in 1980. Stop abusing its corpse.
>>
I would have normally said Christopher Nolan, but I think he has become too much of a goof director.
>>
>david lynch
kek
>>
>>62689843
I know he would never do it but it would be interesting to see.
>>
Episode 10 Wes Anderson
Episode 11 Quentin Tarantino
Episode 12 Paul Thomas Anderson
>>
Star Wars is too big for the director to really matter

Nobody would be allowed to have any real control, so it's not particularly important. The directors they chose are reasonably good choices, people who have made reasonably decent films in the past but aren't huge names yet (excluding Abrams since he seems to be more of an attention grabbing hire than anything)
>>
>>62689787
>Spielberg, in his prime, almost directed RotJ
>>
>Episodic movies:
Nicolas Winding Refn
Joon-Ho Bong
Gareth Evans

>Boba Fett movie
Tim Burton (not even kidding)

>Han Solo movie
Jeff Nichols

>Rogue One movie
Michael Bay (again, not kidding)
>>
>>62689787
Tarantino, but it would never happen with Disney.

Have the movie on Tatooine and Coruscant slums. Star Wars Western/Gangster flick.
>>
>>62689864
I don't think any of them would be able to pull off sci-fi. But PTA apparently liked EoT and that's kinda like Star Wars.
>>
>>62689843
They wanted Lynch to direct Empire Strikes Back.
>>
>>62689876

I think they grabbed him purely because of Trek 09'. Probably would've preferred if he hadn't been involved with Into Darkness, but still a good, reassuring option for the poisoned well that Lucas sold them.
>>
>>62689930
He's a good choice. Proven to do a decent job, willing to not challenge what they want too much, a big enough name to grab some attention.

It's a boring choice but a sensible one
>>
File: MikeLeigh.jpg (315 KB, 2048x1372) Image search: [Google]
MikeLeigh.jpg
315 KB, 2048x1372
Mike Leigh, obviously.
>>
Let Shane Carruth and Nicolas Winding Refn team up for this one
>>
Jodorowsky
>>
File: God.jpg (19 KB, 613x398) Image search: [Google]
God.jpg
19 KB, 613x398
Gareth Evans. With complete creative control.
>>
couldn't even imagine nolan

>you're a big sith
>kylo, if i pulled that off would you die?
>FIRST ONE TO TALK GETS TO STAY ON THE MILENIUM FALCON
>blowing up the death star with no survivors
>>
>>62689822
Nolan lacks the sens of magic. He tries too much to explain everything, to make everything rationnal. No place for enchantment. In a universe like Star Wars, it would feels wrong. Also, say hello to the midi-chlorians.

Spielberg would have been cool, but the guy refused. Brad Bird would have been cool, but the guy refused. Nobody except JJ wanted to do The Force Awakens. Coincidence ?
>>
>>62689787
George Lucas

>I said right from the beginning that I was looking for a voice for Darth Vader. I went through a lot of different tapes of people, including Orson Welles. But then I landed on James Earl Jones, because he's a superb actor. And I was so worried at that point, because it's minimalist acting in a mask: He doesn't get a huge range of stuff to deal with. I was looking for him to pull a realistic performance out of this constrained reality I had created and really grab the audience. It's one of these horrible acting exercises – sometimes directors put themselves in a corner, and it's thankless for the actor.

>The same thing happened with Padmé in Episode I, when she had this very stilted dialogue as the Queen. And also with Hayden in Episode II. He said, "I don't want to be this whiny kid." I said, "Well, you are. You gotta be a whiny teenager."
>>
>>62692438
>>The same thing happened with Padmé in Episode I, when she had this very stilted dialogue as the Queen. And also with Hayden in Episode II. He said, "I don't want to be this whiny kid." I said, "Well, you are. You gotta be a whiny teenager."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>62689864
Too good to ever happen
>>
Paul Verhoeven.

They actually considered him for directing ROTJ
>>
>>62689787
>David Lynch- no
>M. Night Shymalan- what are you nuts?
>Steven Spielberg- could be great
>Christopher Nolan- could be great
>Alec Gillis- who
>Ron Howard- would watch
>Rupert Wyatt- who
>Ridley Scott- would watch
>>
File: 1447306571337.jpg (76 KB, 298x387) Image search: [Google]
1447306571337.jpg
76 KB, 298x387
>>62694009
> he hasn't seen unbreakable
>>
For those that don't know, Lucas asked David Lynch to direct Return of the Jedi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U
>>
>Star Wars
>Fantasy
>Action
>Suspense
>Magic
>Adventure

I mean, it's gotta be Rob Reiner, right?
>>
>>62689787
James Cameron. It'd be fucking amazing and you all know it.
>>
>>62694034
Yeah and the rest of his shit.

Have you seen Last Airbender? Nuff said fuck off.
>>
David Lynch...because his last name makes me laugh
>>
>>62694126
plebs belong on r/movies, not on this board, a bandwagoner like yourself is what is classified as a pleb, unbreakable was a 10/10 film
>>
>>62694244
Unbreakable was a solid 9/10 but are you seriously saying that M Night Shiggydiggy isn't a decade past making anything resembling a good movie? After Earth is the prime reason he would bury Star Wars after George killed it
>>
>>62689787
The only person I wouldn't shoot down immediately from your list is Spielberg, and you just KNOW Lucas would interfere if Spielberg was doing it.

>>62689819
Oh, you. Assuming it's going to be made, pick one. It's not that fucking hard.

>>62689864
Tarantino could do it, but someone would need to revise his script. It'd be too fucking dialogue-heavy. I don't need to see Leia talk about foot massages or goddamn prison camp watch-smuggling.

>>62689899
No, to everything you said.

>>62693893
WAY past his prime.

>>62694103
Reiner has never done anything with magic, at least not that I can think of, but I'd definitely see a Reiner movie. Loved Spinal Tap, loved Stand by Me, loved When Harry Met Sally, loved A Few Good Men, loved The Princess Bride. Holy fuck Reiner's directed some good shit. I'd see his Star Wars.

>>62694115
Could totally get on board with this as well.

I'd personally go Paul McGuigan. He knows how to do a twist, he knows how to do emotion, he knows how to do action, and he knows how to be funny. Seems pretty perfect for Star Wars.
>>
>>62694036
Leave it up to George Lucas to make David Lynch look normal
>>
Edgar Wright seems like a no-brainer but I'm betting they haven't approached him cause of the ant-man thing.
>>
>>62689787
Star Wars had its run, and there's no need for anymore movies.
Just kill the thing already.
>>
>>62689787
M. Night Shymalan.
No one else is better equipped to do the Lord Binks storyline.
>>
>>62689843
Because it worked so well on Dune
>>
Me
>>
>>62689787
Bib Fortuna movie: Guillermo del Toro
>>
>>62694504
Yeah, he would've burnt all his bridges with Disney, I'm sure.
>>
I'm trying to picture a Star Wars where David Lynch got full creative freedom.

>Yoda's ghost haunts an aged Luke with backwards talk.
>>
Since Disney will inevitably will have this go the way of Dragonball, so power levels will keep on rising I'll just jump to who should direct the movie in which the Disney Star Wars equivilent of Goten gets the spotlight (this will be a decade or two down the line though, so I can't give a name that far ahead.):

Someone who religiously studied the way of Stephen Chow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAM6FycAyqA

The best we can do, is embrace it.
>>
>>62694702
Whoops, meant to link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQrR4BQ6oKY
But that works too, I suppose.
>>
>>62692438
P O E T R Y
>>
>>62692438
It makes me respect Hayden a lot more to know that he protested against the whiny teenage angle on Anakin.
>>
>>62694103
>>62694320

Reiner has my vote.
>>
>>62689787
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U

answer is obvious
>>
>disney letting lynch anywhere near a set
it has to be someone young, generic, who would get along with everyone on set and have no problem with disney making every single decision for them. so jj really is the best option unfortunately
>>
John Carpenter
>>
Hopefully Jar Jar Abramowitzenstien did a decent job.
>>
File: GTSpaceship_(WkJump52).png (173 KB, 500x430) Image search: [Google]
GTSpaceship_(WkJump52).png
173 KB, 500x430
David Fincher of course.

Or the 80's James Cameron
>>
>No Auralnauts recommendation

Episode I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8
Episode II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8aSJBC9u0
Episode III:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itkl7cHcX_E
Episode IV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu9dUG3_KNA

And the reasons you should watch them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DD45wBDLNs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3nQvaP0BXg
>>
>>62696079
the point of the thread isnt to make a prediction on whos gonna do it, its to say who you wanna see do it.
who cares if its realistic, just pick the one you wanna see in your dreams
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.