[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is the point of this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 3
File: 20151112_154428png.png (595 KB, 1049x1666) Image search: [Google]
20151112_154428png.png
595 KB, 1049x1666
What the fuck is the point of this
>>
>>62668843
>DUDE WHERE IS GOD LMAO
>>
>DUDE MEDITATION ON FAITH AND DEATH AND HELPLESSNESS LMAO
>>
Bill and Ted gotta' get back to San Dimas, broheim.
>>
Purgatory. Not that hard.
>>
Bergman's 4th best movie tho
>>
>>62668914
But what am I getting from it? Just that life is tricky and we're all going to die..? Why is this meant to be good
>>
Pretentiousness
>>
>>62668843
>>62668854
>>62668860
>>62668892
sup reddit
>>
>>62668979
hey retardbro
>>
>>62668971
And even if this is what it's about I don't understand the relevance of about 90% of the scenes. The actor forced to be a bear or whatever, the mute girl who us almost raped, what is this shit? I think I just don't get old movies. If this were at 9% on rotten tomatos I wouldn't bat an eye
>>
>>62669002
What are you suggesting?
>>
>>62668971
Because it's a great movie.
>>
>>62668986
>he didn't get it
>>
>>62669028
that you don't what pretentious means, because this film isn't pretentious at all
>>
>>62669030
This seems to be the popular opinion but it honestly means nothing to me. I'm not so arrogant to think everyone is wrong and I am right so I'm asking what does the viewer get out of this movie that makes it great. I do not see it at all. Not in a single scene
>>
>>62669118
It dwells on philosophical themes relevant to the human condition.
It's the film that established Bergman as a great director.
It's highly influential, it has scenes that have been referenced and parodied across all media.
>>
>>62669040
>DUDE
>>
>>62669118
>it honestly means nothing to me.

Okay.
>>
>>62669223
No opinion and acting superior. Useful, thanks
>>
>>62669242
If you were actually interested in knowing why the seventh seal is highly rated, you would've googled it and had your answer in 30 seconds.
>>
>>62669186
I only partially get this from when explained through an obvious monologue. The rest of the scenes like the actor bear thing or the guy who wants his wife back or the corpse who says nothing but apparently says something, these have absolutely no meaning to me. If you feel strongly about the film, what do these things add/mean
>>
>>62669279
Or perhaps enquire on a movie forum
>>
>>62669028
For you euthanasia
>>
>>62668843
Like the gravedigger in Hamlet, the Squire treats death as a bitter and hopeless joke. Since we all play chess with death, and since we all must suffer through that hopeless joke, the only question about the game is how long it will last and how well we will play it. To play it well, to live, is to love and not to hate the body and the mortal as the Church urges in Bergman's metaphor. Bergman grew up in a home infused with an intense Christianity, his father being a charismatic rector. It is a story told as a sermon might be delivered. Each scene is at once so simple and so charged and layered that it catches us again and again. Somehow all of Bergman's own past, that of his father, that of his reading and doing and seeing, that of his Swedish culture, of his political burning and religious melancholy, poured into a series of pictures which carry that swell of contributions and contradictions so effortlessly that you could tell the story to a child, publish it as a storybook of photographs and yet know that the deepest questions of religion and the most mysterious revelation of simply being alive are both addressed.
>>
>>62669321
Sorry but you're just a dumbass.
Everything you need to know is subtlety shown, if you want to be spoonfed this isn't the kind of film for you.
>>
>>62668971

It's a folklorish tale about a knight who lost god and tries to escape death. Simple existential fears.

Only shitty hipsters like you think every movie has to be some sort of social commentary.
>>
https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/61302003/#q61302560
>>
>>62669118

Nice cinematography, nice atmosphere, nice setting, good dialogue, great acting, while not too pretentious or hard to follow. There you go.
>>
>>62669442
You're still saying nothing beyond 'its just good, ok'

Fine if you believe this but not a view that is of any use to me
>>
>>62669545
>not a view that is of any use to me

Okay.
>>
>>62669545
>You're still saying nothing beyond 'its just good, ok'
see >>62669186

>Fine if you believe this but not a view that is of any use to me
That's fine, not everyone needs to like the same things.
>>
>>62669450
I would expect a supposedly great movie to be more than just a knight who wanders around and is scared of life. Didn't say anything about social commentary just about its meaning
>>
>>62669598
Your comments suggests that you expect 'deep' meta levels from a movie, since you are a deep, serious movie fan yourself.

For other people it is more about the execution. The characters were fleshed out, well played and their respective outlooks on life and death interesting to watch. For some people that is enough.
>>
>>62669588
I didn't see much dwelling on existential themes. So far, there have been no opinions back up by anything other than the guys saying it's just a story of a knight going about his business and that's all
>>
>>62668843

LIFE IS A CHESS GAME WITH DEATH

HE ALWAYS WINS IN THE END :^)
>>
>>62669731
>I didn't see much dwelling on existential themes

Ok then you must be fucking retarded as your comments suggest. Have a good day, redditor.
>>
>>62669731
>I didn't see much dwelling on existential themes.
>death literally appears as guy in black
Serious question, are you retarded?
>>
>>62669729
you're assigning me a character I don't have. And still there's nothing beyond such and such is good because this is good and so is that. I'm interested in what makes this movie a classic so I think the possibility that there are some deeper meanings isn't an outlandish suggestion
>>
>>62669758
>are you retarded?

No, he's baiting you. Go back to reddit.
>>
Could someone elucidate the dance with death scene?

Someone explained it that made a lot of sense, but I've forgotten their reasoning.
>>
>>62669781
>I was just pretending to be retarded
Please, kill yourself.
>>
>>62669847
Yes, he IS pretending to be retarded. You are legit retarded for getting baited so hard.
>>
>>62669758
Death comes and says he'll die for about 5 minutes. Not dwelling in my books. And if the pointing out that we are not immortal is deemed existential then we really are scraping the bottom of the barrel
>>
>>62669777

Well I know my /tv/ and its passion for cryptic super deep meanings, which they can analyse while using a bunch of fancy words and heavily constructed metaphors they don't understand, borrowed from the most useless modern science: philosophy.

I can see how you are a member of the bunch if you honestly think that a movie classic needs some deeper meaning than: man struggling with death and meaninglessness to be considered a classic.
>>
>>62669861
just go to therapy family
>>
>>62669894
Just go back to reddit.
>>
>>62669861
>>62669879
Epic trolling /b/ro.
>>
>>62669881
Why can no one here discuss a film without it being an attempt to one-up in an argument rather than get to the point of anything. Yes, if a film just has a guy who is confused about the point of life then a million films would be classics if that's all that needed. Either there may be something more to it or there is another aspect to the film that makes it classic which remains unseen to me
>>
>>62669901
>>62669902
Nice inability to discuss anything without getting angry and resorting to your goto insult
>>
File: 1442504768583.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1442504768583.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>62669999
>Yes, if a film just has a guy who is confused about the point of life then a million films would be classics if that's all that needed.

Nice quads, but you are still a retard.
Nobody said that that is what 'is needed' you mongrel. You don't design a classic, movies become classics, because they have a big followership over decades and stay relevant. A classic is not even a mark of quality per se. Rocky horror picture show is a classic and I think it sucks.

You don't judge a movie by its 4 line synopsis. The execution is what counts and the execution was more refined visually and thematically than from most movies with a similiar topic.
>>
>>62670191
Pointless tangent -is this a classic which isn't well thought of?- and still trying to one-up rather than discuss. Okily dokily friend
>>
Much like abstract art.

There will always be a group of poser pseudo-intellectuals that get off on how great their 'art' is and how others are just too dumb to understand.

Lika like how this is a fucking masterpiece to posers and the 'normies' just don't understand.

lol
>>
>>62668843
The point is "durr death is inevitable" which maybe when this movie was made like a fucking 100 years ago it was some 2deep4u shit, but today it's absolutely surface level. The reason it's remembered fondly is because of well shot, iconic imagery. That's it. You're not missing anything OP.
>>
>>62670311
Sorry that you don't have to explain the movie by pulling metaphors out of your ass . Yeah it works as a movie and a story without thousands of hidden meta levels. How horrifying. Get fucked you pretentious snob.
>>
>>62668843
Fedora Swede going full Fedora Swede. I respect him as a pioneer of cinema but I've emotionally always preferred Von Troll.
>>
>>62670366
I'm not a pretentious snob, I'm calling it like it is. If the cinematography wasn't great, nobody would remember it.
>>
>>62670303
This seems to be the case here unfortunately. No reasons given other than its good because such and such part of it is good and its classic. Perhaps /tv/ is just filled with mongoloids
>>
>>62670311
Existential problems are never surface level, you're a retard.
>>
>>62670418
Yes, the problems in this movie are surface level. They are presented at the surface level and never go any deeper.
>>
>>62670389
Yeah if the cinematography and acting were not that great no one would remember it, I agree.

It also would be a completely different movie in that case but fuck logic.
>>
>>62670438
They're presented in a way so as they're open to personal interpretation.
You're a retard.
>>
When I read threads like this I get the impression that many people of /tv/ only have a vague understanding of what they like. Movies are more like popularity contests for them, where you show off with what wannabe complex and obscure specimen you came up with
>>
>>62670478
No, it's perfect logic. I told OP the only reason it's remembered is because it's well shot with iconic imagery. You're the one who disagreed for some reason, but I'm glad you are now agreeing with me.
>>
>>62670533

It is a fucking uselessly trivializing remark. One of the main qualities of movies is their cinematography. It's like saying Jimmy Hendrix is only remembered because of his guitar solos, apart from his guitar skills he wasn't that much of a musician.
>>
DUDE HORRIBLE COSTUMES LMAO
>>
>>62670303
Why is that piece bad though? It's got really interesting visuals and probably has some significance in its style.
>>
>>62670589
No, there is much MUCH more to why jimi hendrix was great than something so general as "his guitar solo" and there is much MORE more to cinema than how iconic the shots are. Seventh Seal lacks everything except pretty pictures. I really suggest you learn more about film AND music theory.
>>
>>62670658
>Seventh Seal lacks everything except pretty pictures
> I really suggest you learn more about film
lol
>>
>the most useless
>modern science
>philosophy
wew lad 9/10
>>
>>62670658

And by that you mean listen to the same pretentious youtube hipsters as you and submit to their 'objective criterias', so I can circle jerk in a gang of half lives? No thanks I will stay the stupid proletarian and like movies I like instead of pandering to a self acclaimed elite of bullshitters.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.