[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which movie is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10
File: sf mk.jpg (330 KB, 1182x728) Image search: [Google]
sf mk.jpg
330 KB, 1182x728
Which movie is better?
>>
That shouldn't even be a question, to this day Mortal Kombat 1 is still considered the best videogame movie adaptation which is pretty sad.
>>
>>62664323
The right when you're an 11-year old, which is it's target demographic. The left when you're an adult, where you can truly appreciate it's So-Bad-It's-Good qualities.
>>
>>62664323
MK is a better movie
SF has the GOAT villain line in the history of film
>>
>>62664352
I'll bite, what's the line?
>>
File: 1434436040641.jpg (106 KB, 692x563) Image search: [Google]
1434436040641.jpg
106 KB, 692x563
>tfw SF literally killed Raul Julia
>>
>>62664379
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs
>>
>>62664384
He was already terminal, that's why he accepted the role in the first place, so he could leave his family a nice check.
>>
>>62664399
based Raul
>>
I think every kid hated the Street Fighter movie because of how badly it took a laughing shit on the "lore" but looking back it had some damn good lines in it

>Bison: Ah! Doctor Dhalsim! How is your research today?
>Dr. Dhalsim: The same. Warped. Corrupted. My science twisted to serve perversion instead of peace.
>Bison: Tell you what. After I've crushed my enemies, we'll see about getting you published. That should cheer you up, hmm?
>>
Street Fighter by a mile. It's not faithful to the source material, but who cares, the source material is a dumb game in an illogical genre. Neither movie had decent fight scenes so those aren't criteria for judgment. Mortal Kombat had a Bernays type hype campaign including a meme song so plebs love it more but Street Fighter was better qua filmic standards.
>>
They're both pretty bad.

MK is obviously the better film.

If you are too young to have grown up with either, SF is the one worth watching simply for Raúl Juliá's last performance.
>>
>>62664323
Mortal Kombat is definitely better. It may do the best job of staying true to it's source material of any video game movie ever.

People hate on the street fighter movie but I actually think it's pretty good. It's criticized for being cheesy, but the thing is Street Fighter 2 is pretty cheesy when you think about it. It's a game about bunch of stereotypical cartoonish characters from around the globe coming together to fight each other. The movie captures the cartoonish nature of the characters and the game pretty well imo.
>>
MOOOORRRRTTTTAAAALLLLL KKKKOOOOOMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>62664323
Moral Kombat, easily. It's still the best video game movie, too, which is sad.
>>
>>62664445
>Neither movie had decent fight scenes

Scorpion vs Johnny Cage
>>
>>62664616
>>62664683
Yeah, while they're nothing special MK easily trumps Street Fighter in he fight scene department.
>>
>>62664683
That's not a decent fight scene except in comparison to Street Fighter.
>>
Mortal Kombat was objectively better made, but they're both schlock and Street Fighter seemed more aware that it was schlock.
>>
>>62664893
>and Street Fighter seemed more aware that it was schlock.
Watch the making-of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-tdYMGQ9FM

EVERYONE involved seems painfully aware of the kind of movie they're making...except for the director.
>>
>>62664438
>I think every kid hated the Street Fighter movie because of how badly it took a laughing shit on the "lore"
This. The very reason we loved Mortal Kombat at the same time is because it did the EXACT opposite. Everyone looked just like they did in the game. We were all in awe of Goro. We all grinned and clapped win Shang Tsung delivered the lines "FINISH HIM" and "FLAWLESS VICTORY!" We all said hell yeah when Scorpion told Johnny to "GET OVER HERE!" and we fucking EXPLODED at the cliffhanger ending with The Emperor.

But yeah, nowadays the laughable stupidity of Street Fighter makes for a much more enjoyable watch.
>>
>>62664351
quite true.
>>
Street Fighter has one of the greatest monologues of all time.

>Troopers, I just received new orders. Our superiors say the war is cancelled. We can all go home. Bison is getting paid off for his crimes, and our friends who have died here will have died for nothing. But, we can all go home. Meanwhile, ideals like peace, freedom, and justice, they get packed up. But, we can all go home. Well, I'm not going home. I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up river, and I'm going to kick that son of a bitch Bison's ass so hard that the next Bison wannabe is gonna feel it! Now, who wants to go home...and who wants to go with me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzWClNWNIaY
>>
>>62664965
>Raul Julia died after this

feels bad man
>>
Here's another question.

Has there ever been a worse game-to-film adaptation than Mortal Kombat: Annihilation?
>>
>>62668612
Maybe not worse, but most of Boll's stuff and Legend of Chun-Li join it at the bottom.
>>
>>62668665
I never saw Legend of Chun-Li, but I heard about it. I think I avoided it because I didn't recognize most of the characters' names.

It had Rose in it, didn't it?
>>
>>62668766
She does nothing, shares nothing with the character beyond the name and only appears at the end as Bison's daughter. He also shares nothing with the character beyond the name, which goes for everyone in the movie.

The closest you get to something actually from the game is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjtfeq1t1Rc
>>
>>62668936
i threw up a little
>>
File: 45612.jpg (86 KB, 648x960) Image search: [Google]
45612.jpg
86 KB, 648x960
>>62664345
Not anymore.

Pic related is the best thing that's happened to video game movies adaptations in a while.
>>
>>62668936
>Whitest half asian you could find to play a Chinese detective
>music "Imma street fighta' nigga street fighta' "
>>
MK was fun, but hasn't aged all that great.
SF is a legitimate joke of a movie but highly watchable.
>>
>>62669032
>ken looks like a faggot
Pretty faithful to the source material.
>>
>>62664323
Can't compare man. Mortal Kombat is a classic. A movie you can pop in anytime and enjoy the fuck out of it. Movie hasn't aged a bit (except the cgi for reptile). My favorite movie.
>>
stupid fucking question. mk of course
>>
>>62668955
It's not all bad. Chris Klein gives the performance of a lifetime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id7DLq7bpTw

And the remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjdE9Y8VQA
>>
File: mortal-kombat-legacy.jpg (1 MB, 936x1330) Image search: [Google]
mortal-kombat-legacy.jpg
1 MB, 936x1330
>>62669032
This is also pretty rad.
>>
>>62669410
haha, oh wow .jpg
>>
File: raul.julia.never.forget.jpg (122 KB, 326x480) Image search: [Google]
raul.julia.never.forget.jpg
122 KB, 326x480
>>62664323

Street Fighter actually feels like more of a G.I. Joe movie than the actual G.I. Joe movies. Plus, Raul Julia swings for the fences and hits the goddamn moon. People say he did the movie for a paycheck, but in truth he knew he was dying and his kids loved Street Fighter, so he did it for them.
>>
>>62672280
have you read the making of profile on Polygon? It's one of the best behind the scenes essays out there. It's a videogame The Disaster Artist. The bits about Raul and his final days legitimately made me choke up.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/3/10/5451014/street-fighter-the-movie-what-went-wrong

>Not long before the shoot, Julia had undergone surgery for stomach cancer; the illness would take his life within the year. Because the production crew hadn't been notified of Julia's condition prior to the star's arrival, their shooting schedule didn't consider the low energy and intense weight loss of its lead. Originally, production would have begun with Julia's dialogue-dense scene work, allowing the stunt team to prep and rehearse action sequences for the latter half of the shoot. De Souza knew he couldn't film Julia up close, not like this.

>Julia needed considerable time to regain body mass, so fights and action sequences — those not featuring Julia — were bumped forward, and the schedule was essentially flipped. Action first, drama second. Julia spent the first few weeks of production in recovery. His kids — invited to join their father on the shoot — made the trip into a family vacation, swimming with porpoises, scuba diving and later discovering the Australian outback. The ailing man's spirits lifted and his body gradually took on weight.

>"He was extremely underweight," says Chapa, "and they'd put this massive suit on him. When we were rehearsing he was down, but as soon as they said ‘action,' this great actor came to life in this body that wasn't what it used to be. For me, it was beautiful [...] You hear that saying, 'the show must go on' — let me tell you, Raul Julia — to his last breath he was acting."
>>
>>62672423

Yeah, it's genuinely moving. I also like that they take the opposite approach with Van Damme, who treated the movie like a cocaine-fueled-fuck-fiesta.
>>
>>62664399
What an awesome guy
>>
>>62670946
Hellz yeah. Also check out the short that inspired it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGnVhqhmip8
>>
>>62664323
MK by far

The game too
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTBhgv9RDWs
>>
the mortal kombat tv show was fun
>>
File: streetfighter94talk.jpg (647 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
streetfighter94talk.jpg
647 KB, 1920x1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2Vz5QaJ1U
>>
File: 1444328787298.jpg (20 KB, 465x412) Image search: [Google]
1444328787298.jpg
20 KB, 465x412
>>62664387
Bruh
>>
I thought street fighter was pretty good for being cheesy
>>
>>62664323

MK had the best soundtrack

prove me wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kRlvrtdS0c
>>
>>62664399
His kids picked the movie, and they visited the set all the time
>>
File: Raul_Julia_M_Bison.jpg (187 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
Raul_Julia_M_Bison.jpg
187 KB, 658x370
Mortal Kombat is better but goddamn Raul Julia is amazing in Street Fighter
>>
>>62664387
Raul Julia was the only good thing about that stinker.
>>
>>62664323
Street Fighter is the better film.

Why? MK showed us nothing beyond what we saw in the game. There was no character development. The stakes of the main hero was the world would be destroyed if he did not win.

But SF gave us this world we didn't see in the games with the GTN and the complex geopolitical situation Bison has forced the AN in. While the writing is just as awful as MK. Street fighter spent time developing Guile, Chun Li, Ryu and Ken. Each character is motivated by something outside of themselves. Yes, Guile and Chung Li are motivated by revenge against Bison. But that simple story that is also in MK is made better in SF as they must struggle against each other to achieve their goal of vengeance against the mad man. The film also does an amazing job or poking fun at the idea of Bison, his ego and the "super villain" trope in the tail end of the 20th century and the coming age of globalism.

So I will consider this debate closed. Street Fighter is the better of the two films and may be the best video game film made.(yet)
>>
>>62664438
>I think every kid hated the Street Fighter movie because of how badly it took a laughing shit on the "lore"
I think the lore was doomed before it was written because it was conceived as a Jean Claude Van Damme vehicle.

More problems:
>cast a guy with a thick accent as an American
>Dhalsim doesn't even fight
>Chun Li ain't high test
>Blanka is not even sapient
>Vega is a faggot
>Honda is Samoan

>Ok, that previous one was dead-on
>>
>>62674041
decided to try watching it recently cause I thought it'd be cool to see The Great Kung Lao

and wow
holy fuck
this is the worst shit I've ever seen. Was this par for the course for 90's shit or what?
Why are there so many white extras in china, why does china look like outworld, why do they keep using that establishing shot of Liu Kang and the elder monk from the first movie? Did they really think nobody would notice?
Why did they get such a shitty fucking actor for Shang Tsung? He looks alright but that voice he keeps using is so fucking awful it ruins every scene he's in.

Otherwise I was kinda enjoying it for the 3 episodes I was able to stand.
>>
>>62667485
>Raul Julia did this movie and died of a broken heart
ftfy
>>
>>62664345
The first silent hill was good. Don't know what the fuck happened with the second one.
>>
>>62664323
Street Fighter. Retards just didn't realize it was meant to be a goofy comedy when it came out causing it to get a bad reputation it never deserved.
>>
>>62675120
There was character development in the MK movie, it was just pretty similar to the games (with the exception of Liu Kang's brother storyline and Scorpion and Sub Zero not killing eachother)
SF had to make up a bunch of shit that didn't exist in the game because the game's story is just a disjointed pastiche of characters that have nothing to do with eachother whose goals are irrelevant to what's going on in the story.
>>
>>62672570
>ywn blast rails off of 90s Kylie Minogue's ass

That movie was a mess but I bet Van Damme would have been awesome to party with
>>
File: mickey rooney bat.jpg (55 KB, 703x394) Image search: [Google]
mickey rooney bat.jpg
55 KB, 703x394
>>62668665
>Chun-Li
>half white
It's as if they didn't want to cast a full-Asian actress to play a Chinese woman. This is the worst anti-Asian racism since Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tifany's
>>
>>62664351
But MK is so-good-it's-good, wouldn't that make it better?
>>
>>62675246
What's worse is during the prologue that shows Chun-Li when she was little the girl playing her was a full-blooded Asian.
>>
Street Fighter is FUN.

>Foreigner as Guile
>Bison having amazing dialogue
>Zangief being comedic gold
>>
>>62675385
If you look back on it, it has a couple issues with the cohesion, there are scenes that waste time, messy transitions and fight scenes happening for no real reason, which you wouldn't notice as a kid but as an adult it kindof takes you out of the movie.

It is more competent then Street Fighter the movie though.
>>
>>62675442
>What's worse is during the prologue that shows Chun-Li when she was little the girl playing her was a full-blooded Asian.
Maybe later in life she got culturally enriched by the MWC, which rewrote her DNA
>>
>>62675234
But those stories and characters are never explored like they are in SF.

Also SF spends a fair amount of time world building. And they do it without voice over or overscreen text. That is quite the accomplishment. MK does no world building.

I think a lot of people confuse fandom and game lore with a video game adapted film. So it's always hard to explain to people that when you review a movie you have to review what is on the screen. Not what is in the game and not stuff referenced in the movie. The film must be able to stand on it's own. MK does not.
>>
>>62675630
The only things that would need to be factored into world building in a Mortal Kombat movie are the rules of the tournament, Shang Tsung's Island and Outworld.
I'm not exactly sure how you would show the rules of the tournament without narration, voice-over or dialogue.

What more world building is necessary in it? Do we need to see the global scope of the Black Dragon Clan? Do we need to see random places in the world if they don't actually factor into the story?
Everything in the movie revolves around the Tournament, why build up anything other then the tournament? Wouldn't that just detract from it?
>>
I'm fascinated by what happens to movie props and sets after production wraps. I wonder if the Goro puppet was ever repurposed for something else or if it's sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVi2klX_feE
>>
>>62668766
I always hated how Vega (Claw) was played by Taboo. The white guy with long hair from the Black Eyed Peas
>>
>that shitty kikoken effect at the end of Legend of Chun Li

way to completely ruin your own movie, did they actually care about what they were making?
>>
>>62675813
So world building is like spice. It's great when applied well and shit when overdone.

It is in no way easy. Most si-fi and action movies fuck it up badly. That is why there is the expression scene where an "expert" explains why you need to stop them. In MK Raiden tells the heroes everything. There is no point for the characters to explore and learn. So we as the audience feel like we are being lectured to and the world isn't alive. It's just a ride.

SF relies on news broadcasts that explain the tension of the situation the viewer would understand in their own lives. By watching the news. But what I love about SF is the news broadcasts act as transitions from one scene to another. One example is when Guile is killed in the prison escape. We see Chun Li there reporting on the story, then it cuts to the same shot but on a tv. Then we see Bison overlooking the plans for one of his crazy city ideas. The news breaks and a scene about food courts becomes about their rivalry. That is good world building. It shows us that these character don't live in bubbles.

If you want to see an example of great world building watch Children of Men.

A good example of shit world building would be Star Wars Episode II
>>
>>62676121
You should remember that movies are made by an army of people. And if you know anything about people, they don't communicate well.
>>
>>62676202
I see what you mean, but I'm not sure if that's really such a huge detriment to the movie. It is another element that reminds me of why MK isn't that great.
I probably need to rewatch Street Fighter again.
>>
>>62675149
Vega was spot on casting

More true to Vega than some of the games also he actually used Rolling Crystal Flash, most characters don't use any of their moves in this shit.
>>
MK is better than SF but SF is better than the abomination that was Anhiliation.

This shit was hype. Listen to that sick tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xo95h5tOOI
>>
>>62676373
>that bit with the voice over announcing Reptile's name

It makes no fucking sense and it should be complete shit but for some reason I love it
>>
>>62676420
>It makes no fucking sense
That's because it was added in post-production when test-audiences complained about there not being enough fights.
>>
>>62670946
season 2 is such a shit show though
>>
>>62676501
>they added a sound effect of the announcer saying reptiles name to appease audiences

I didn't mean the fight scene, the premise for that is kinda simple and makes some sense.
>>
>>62676501
imagine if they only added the reptile fight to select theaters since he was a secret character in the game.
>>
>>62676333
Give it another fair watch. It's a fun action movie. As cheesy as Van-Damn is he is pretty good. Raul Julia carries the movie.
>>
>>62676373
Annihilation is probably tied with Street Fighter in the so bad it's good department. It's so shoddily made that it's amazing.
>>
>>62676688
I never hated Street Fighter the movie, I always thought it was funny and entertaining, I just felt MK was a better adaptation.
(Not to say MK was super good or anything)
>>
File: Houseofthedeadposter.jpg (14 KB, 300x441) Image search: [Google]
Houseofthedeadposter.jpg
14 KB, 300x441
>>62676728
At the end of it all it's a matter of taste.

Unless you like the House of the Dead movie. Than you can fuck right the hell off.
>>
>>62676688
Zangief was perfect tho

The whole movie is great, SF has always been campy stupid fun and it was exactly that. The first MK does what MK is, a bad kung fu movie, the second one is so corny but tries to take itself so seriously.
>>
>>62669032
It was awfully boring. Chads need to stop thinking Street Fighter is a serious videogame. It was always lighhearted
>>
Capcom, outside of Resident Evil and Chun Li, consistently has the best live action video game adaptations.

Street Fighter
Ace Attorney
Sengoku Basara
Both Dead Risings
>>
>>62676825
I'm ashamed to admit I saw that in theaters.
>>
>>62676899
The first RE movie is decent enough. I enjoy the sequels in a guilty pleasure way.
>>
>>62676688

It's also written and directed by the guy who wrote Die Hard, which is fascinating to me.
>>
>>62668612
>missed Mortal Kombat's theatrical release
>swore I wouldn't miss the next one and I didn't

Fuck me.
>>
>>62676825

I watch House of the Dead for exactly two reasons.

http://youtu.be/EiO7nVQH--w
>>
>>62676960
I dunno, after rewatching it the first movie is kinda shitty too.
>>
>>62676960
i enjoyed Wesker
good casting on a budget there
>>
>>62677089
I still remember seeing Annihilation with my friends. We had a great time mocking it afterwards.
>>
>>62676825
YA'LL GON MAKE ME LOSE MY MIND
>>
>>62664323

Street Fighter for two reasons

1. Every single line Raul Julia has
2. Guile's speech before the big battle
>Now who wants to go home, and who wants to come with ME!

Laugh at the movie all you want, that speech was GOAT.
>>
>>62664323
>Jackie Chan would never be Chun Li.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-45yLx9e4
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.