[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys, I think it will happen... https://www.kickstarter.com/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: MST3K-logo.png (72 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
MST3K-logo.png
72 KB, 210x210
Guys, I think it will happen...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k
>>
It was very rarely funny and obtaining movie rights these days would be an absolute nightmare.
>>
File: 1446129957994.jpg (87 KB, 475x480) Image search: [Google]
1446129957994.jpg
87 KB, 475x480
>5.5 million funbux

fuck i hope this gets funded
>>
>>62610764
>implying cheap B-movies would be hard to get rights for
They can finally do From Hell It Came
>>
>>62610764
This

It was better when it was unique, now and days this commentary stuff is overplayed.
>>
please god no
they're all old and fat and slow and out of touch
it will be a fucking trainwreck
>>
>>62610725
We have Rifftrax though.
>>
People are absolute faggots to chip in for this
>>
File: 00012321.png (485 KB, 619x739) Image search: [Google]
00012321.png
485 KB, 619x739
>>62610764
>It was very rarely funny
>>
>>62610823
That's unfortunately not true. Through buyouts and corporate nonsense, a lot of companies want far too much to even commission a home video release of some movies, whereas others have managed to end up with multiple owners, so are simply impossible.

It may well already be, I'm not sure, but I'd imagine this would go down a treat on Twitch.
>>
Is it just camp Joel that's involved or are they teaming with camp Mike? If it's the former then it isn't even really worth it.
>>
will Mike be involved?
if not, dropped
>>
File: adopted.jpg (135 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
adopted.jpg
135 KB, 1280x720
>Joel
>Not Mike
DROPPED
>>
>>62610845
I'm with this guy. I watched some of their RiffTrax and it wasn't very good.
>>
>>62610845
there's going to be a new host though, joel's just writing
>>
>>62610885
>implying riffing good movies is funny

>>62610913
Even if it's obscure B-movies?

>>62610919
>>62610923
I would imagine Joel would try to get as much of the original writers as possible as well as young blood.
>>
>>62610975
wow even worse
last damn thing I want some some millennial memester trying to fill their shoes
>>
Anyone know who's involved?

If Joel, Mike, TV's Frank, Trace and Kevin Murphy are all in I would be. Pretty sure half of them hate each other though.
>>
>>62610999
>If Joel, Mike, TV's Frank, Trace and Kevin Murphy are all in I would be. Pretty sure half of them hate each other though.
There is no feud. Joel, Frank, and Trace did Cinematic Titanic together, while Mike and Kevin did Rifftrax. They all appeared together at Comic Con a few years ago.
>>
>>62611050
>there is no fued
>Mike and Joel will never, ever, ever appear in the same room together
>even when they're shown together in a promo pic it's via photoshop
>>
So basically we can expect something on the level of Cinematic Titanic, but with the MS3K characters? Which means no Mike, which probably means no Kevin?

No thanks.
>>
File: 1444424171289.jpg (590 KB, 1280x966) Image search: [Google]
1444424171289.jpg
590 KB, 1280x966
>>62611093
I wish Rifftrax never happened
>>
>>62611059
>Mike and Joel will never, ever, ever appear in the same room together
Forgot about Comic Con.

>>62611093
No one knows yet. If it reaches their goal, than I would say the original team would be interested in returning.
>>
>>62610725
2 million for 12 episodes? Retsupurae does it for nothing.
>>
Heres the thing, if it were the Mike and the original voice cast, Id be on board. These new guys are not doing it for me. And I may get shit for this but Mike>Joel
>>
>>62611050
Yeah, Mike and Kevin clearly don't want to work with Joel. Kevin turned down Joel outright for a request to do Cine Titanic.
>>
>>62611175
Sauce?
>>
>>62610725
2 milions for 3 episodes of one guy and three puppets riffing movies? Why?
>>
>>62611143
>>62611093

Didn't the Rifftrax guys say they'd love to do the series again if they ever could? They all seemed to tweet that stuff out around late summer this year, nearly around the same time
>>
>>62611233
Probably for building sets, cameras, audio, green screens, movie rights, catering, ect.
>>
I'm actually a Joel>Mike guy, but that doesn't change the fact that Mike was head writer and Joel was the host at the peak of the show. This whole thing seems pointless. Nobody wants to see a portion of the main players and nobody wants to see "new blood" take over as host and Tom Servo.
>>
Oh it's getting made as I'm watching the trailer it's moving up by the thousands. I think a thousand every couple of seconds. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE. AND THE BACKERS AREN'T EVEN MOVING UP THAT MUCH GOD DAMN IT MUH CASH COW
>>
>>62611290
>Tom Servo.
I'd assume it'd be the guy that was there for Turkey Day last year.
>>
>>62611263
If they did, why aren't they involved? Everyone should hold onto their wallets until then.
>>62611209
Don't have it. Read it somewhere around the time Mike came out of the closet as a conservative Christian.
>>
>>62610725
They want 2 million and they don't even give donors access to the whole season for less than $100. What a crock of shit.
>>
From what I understand, the "feud" (such as it was) was not between Joel and Mike, but between Joel and Jim Mallon, who was Joel's partner and production manager in charge of getting the show on the air initially (and later the president of Best Brains Inc). Joel left the show because, by his own admission, he didn't want to end up fighting with Jim over creative control and ruining the show "Solomon's baby" style, so he voluntarily left. After MST3K ended, Jim still owned the rights to it so neither Joel nor Mike could do continuations of it down the line. If Joel finally has the rights to do a kickstarter now then I guess he and Jim have reconciled (or he's at least convinced him to let him produce the new series).
>>
>>62611384
They don't even know if they can make a full season yet. The 2 million is for 3 episodes.

>>62611356
How do you know they aren't involved? No one, other than Joel, has announced being involved.
>>
mst3k was terrible and unfunny

botw >>>>>>>>>>> mst3k

go back and rewatch it it's painful

plus I hate how it's just them talking over the movie
>>
>not mike

STOP
>>
File: 1444390216870.jpg (125 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1444390216870.jpg
125 KB, 540x720
>>62611318
Don't get my hopes up, anon. Please.
>>
>>62610725
OH GOD WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T FUCK WITH MY FEELINGS OP
>>
>Mike Nelson hasn't tweeted about the kickstarter

That pretty much tells you all you need to know.
>>
>Joel

DROPPED
Fuck that sore loser
>>
>>62611493
I don't think he's tweeted anything today, has he?
>>
>>62610764
>rarely funny
The fuck?
>>
>>62611430
Yeah, there was this, but it seems rather obvious there is something between Mike and Joel.
>>62611451
That's nice. And what I'm saying is that it would be smart to hold on to your walkets until more is confirmed.
>>
>>62611517
>implying Joel wasn't the better host

Kevin Murphy not being Tom Servo is what puts me off.
>>
>>62611465
false flagger alert, reminder that people claiming RLM>MST3K are actually RLM haters trying to provoke hate

All true RLM fans acknowledge the irreplaceable impact MST3K has had on the genre of comedic film commentary and its continuing entertainment value.
>>
>>62610913
What about shitty public domain horror movies?
>>
MST3K still has some level of charm to it but it really isn't funny, or at least very rarely is. I thought it was when I was young but everyone's gotta grow up sometime.

Judging on how slow Joel is in the KS video, even diehard fans should hope this doesn't happen. He's asking for millions of dollars and he comes off like a dad at a teacher-parent conference. Sad.
>>
>>62611566
Joel as host and Mike as head writer waa the ideal. This new venture offers neither.
>>
>>62611566
>Joel
>better

Quite literally end your life
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7wpGY9LTfc

>MST3k summarized in 5 seconds
>>
>EXPERIMENT 6500: SHE STOLE MIKE'S KEYBOARD!
>Until now, the most obscure riff in MST3K history was about Mike's ex-girlfriend. But that'll all change when we INCLUDE YOUR INSIDE JOKE AS A RIFF in a new episode of MST3K. Just think: an MST3K riff that will ONLY make sense to you. Priceless!*

FOR ONLY $6500 WE CAN GET BANEPOSTING INTO MST3K (OR SHEEVPOSTING (OR BOTH))
>>
Prince of Space
Puma Man
Devil Doll
Fucking Fight me
>>
>>62611695
>Prince of Space
oh god I can never stay awake during those black and white japanese superhero movies
>>
>>62611686
It'll be some retard who slips in an MLP reference
>>
>>62610725
>Mike and Joel aren't working together on it

That's what made MST3K so special, though: Joel set the foundation and Mike wrote the lines. It's why the show was so good, even when Joel wasn't there.
>>
>>62611709
Honestly I just 3 random gems, I couldnt really form a top three fairly
>>
Laserblast
The Phantom Planet
Devil Fish
that one with the guy from the Paper Chase
>>
File: mst3kfuturehost.jpg (274 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mst3kfuturehost.jpg
274 KB, 1024x768
First off Joel may be running the show be but HE WILL NOT BE THE HOST

The robots will be recast

Mike isn't involved, he was the head writer for MST3K during the best years even when Joel was the host

The again if it does raise the money maybe theyll be involved, I would love to see it come back
>>
A reunion episode would be cool, if they had all the main players in their original roles, minus Pearl. But a whole season? A reboot of the franchise? Eh. Mst3k was right for a certain place and time, back when people spent more time watching tv than browsing the internet. For a time, mst3k was being broadcast almost constantly, and it served as great filler. Yeah, it wasn't funny all the time, but it didn't need to be. As much as I miss those days, it doesn't have a place anymore.

And hell, I still haven't seen all the original episodes and I doubt others have either. So wanting a new season is just wanting something new - a novelty.
>>
>>62611816
I just can't hear Crow as anyone not Trace or Bill, or Tom anyone but Kevin. Hell, Bill as Crow took a while to get used to.

Also, a new host and Mad upsets me.
>>
>>62611881
Yeah, I'd still be happier with old/fat original everyone than a whole new cast.
>>
>>62611881
If Joel doesn't want to host it might as well be Mike. I don't see why they can't get Kevin or Bill either unless they are all mad at Joel
>>
I wonder if he can get Melissa Mccathy and Kristen Wiig in on this as the new host and mad. Could be a good twist on the old formula.
>>
I'm okay with Mike not being involved because Rifftrax is real fucking terrible and unfunny. All I want is for Trace to be involved.
>>
>>62611430
Also, Joel never felt comfortable being on camera and preferred to be behind the scenes.
>>
>>62611957
As reddit tier as rifftrax could be, it was still pretty funny at times. Lazy too, but I don't see why people are calling it terrible.
>>
Thanks for posting this, I just backed for 35 smackaroos.
>>
>>62611957
No love for Kevin Murphy? And cinematic titanic was worse.
>>
>>62611616
No John you are the one who got old
>>
>>62611957
Rifftrax is fucking hilarious when it's a bad movie and Mike wrote the script. The bad ones are usually either good movies, guest starred, or written by not-Mike.

Unfortunately, Cinematic Titanic was really weak.
>>
>>62611656
that summarizes this board's humor too
>>
>need millions of dollars to make an MST3K episode

THE FUCK IS THIS?

THE FUCK IS THAT?

NIGGA IT'S LIKE $80 TO MAKE STUPID PROP ROBOTS AND THEN JUST USE A SHITTY COMPUTER PROGRAM TO EDIT IT

LITERALLY

WHY DOES IT NEED BUDGET
>>
>>62611938
>unless they are all mad at Joel

Do we have any kind of source on this stuff at all? I thought things we're fine with them. And I just can't see them passing on the chance to do another series of MST3k
>>
>>62612313
Movie rights

Nowadays you can't just get shitty B movie rights for $5. Everyone is fullblown kike and demands hundreds to thousands of dollarydoos, especially if it's going to be used for something with a cult fanbase like MST3K.
>>
>$2,000,000 for 3 episodes

How?
>>
Man this is jumping up quicker than I thought. I just wish we knew more about the writing staff and so on.
>>
File: 1376142103734.gif (2 MB, 210x155) Image search: [Google]
1376142103734.gif
2 MB, 210x155
>>62611951

oh god it's going to be an all-female reboot isn't it?

>GhostbusterGorilla will be the "human"
>Jenny "voice-like-nails-on-chalkboard" Slate will voice a robot
>Amy Schumer will be magicvoice but a drunk sassy slut magicvoice because female empowerment
>>
Who is doing the voices of Crow and Tom in the KS video?
>>
>>62612349
It's never been confirmed, but most people who follow these guys assume there was some sort of fallout based on how they avoid each other. It's an amicable separation. They're not angry at each other but they don't want anything to do with each other either. Joel supposedly offered Kevin a spot on cinematic titanic and was respectfully declined. You'll have to look it up yourself. I don't remember where I read it. More than that though, their actions seem to confirm it, as Joel's camp and Mike's dont work with each other at all.

Maybe it's all rumor. I gladly await to see it disproven. But as it is, we have a kickstarter and only Joel seems to be involved.
>>
>>62612633
>But as it is, we have a kickstarter and only Joel seems to be involved.

That's why I'm trying to ask around a bit to see what the others are saying about it.
>>
Well I need to go to rehab. I need to see a future with new mst3k and president The Donald
>>
It's a damn shame you have to give money before you can even ask in the comments who else is going to be involved. I know you want it to happen Joel, but you're gonna have to be a bit more upfront about who's YEA/NAY on the list.

Also if it does get funded, fulfilling all those high price backer rewards is going to be a nightmare.
>>
>>62610764

babby's first shitpost
>>
I adore MST3K but I feel like it should rest in peace. We already have Rifftrax to fill the void it has left behind.
>>
>>62612659
The Mike gang also invited camp Joel to riff with them a while back, but only Pearl did so. The invitation is on the rifftrax site and written in a way that seems to say "let bygones be bygones," although idk for sure. While the feud isn't confirmed, nothing they've done seems to suggest they're happy to reunite.
>>
>>62610986
>>implying riffing good movies is funny
Have you checked Rifftrax's website within the last five years? They now mainly riff b-movies.
>>
>>62610764

>It was very rarely funny

this is the truth.

Only got one comment in, but I'm sure someone said

>reddit: The Show

which is also true.

It's shit, was always shit.
>>
>>62613118
Fuck off, faggot.
>>
File: 1367547373441.jpg (35 KB, 383x500) Image search: [Google]
1367547373441.jpg
35 KB, 383x500
show's not funny
and
>5.5 million dollars for 12 episodes
>>
Just looked at all their twitters. Mary Jo is the only one who retweeted Joel's announcement. Trace said he and Frank weren't involved. Nothing from anyone else.

Looking like an all female reboot.
>>
>>62611233
They've probably already picked the movies they want to cover and gotten prices for each from the owners. The main expenses are probably the rights + making a set and a bunch of props.
>>
>>62610764 >>62610823 >>62610829 >>62610913
Yeah, didn't they wise up to how popular the show really is or they could make money and were increasing the licensing fees

I mean Shout Factory is releasing DVDs, they spend a lot of money to do it too. They got 95% of the licenses songs on The Wonder Years
>>
>>62611274
>>62613660
>sets

I can understand that

I wonder how much RiffTrax costs. Though I guess they just have audio
>>
>>62610725
>>62610807
>$300K already raised
>in just a few hours

I think it will get 12 episodes
>>
Mike is too busy writing new episodes of Veggietales and ranting about liberals to get involved in new MST3K.

Rifftrax is now selling episodes of MST3K on their website with new intros by Mike, so it seems things are patched up between the factions. Money was always the irritating factor in all this.
>>
>>62610764
>rarely funny

11/10 I am currently headed over to fight you
>>
>Mike/Late cast MST3K guys start new show (Rifftrax)
>Able to sustain themselves on merit of how funny it is, despite not having MST3K brand

>Joel/Original cast MST3K guys start new show (Cinematic Titantic)
>Shit is unfunny as fuck
>Like objectively unfunny, as in "the market has spoken" and no one buys or pays attention to thier shit
>Joel needs the MST3K brand to have any hope
From the Kickstarter:

>With your help, we can bring MST3K back to life for a new generation, with a new season of up to TWELVE feature-length episodes!

He goes on to say they will potentially take it to "cable, or an online platform to introduce it to a new generation" if the kickstarter episodes succeed

So then you'll make more unfunny shit without Mike, Bill, and Kevin, like Cinematic Titantic? While the guys at Rifftrax are already successful, doing crazy successful shit like live shows in actual theaters for years now?

Good god man it's like Dan Rather trying to get his job back at CBS. GIVE IT UP WITH SOME DIGNITY ALREADY JOEL. The satellite of love ship sailed.. and Mike, Bill and Kevin are the captains. I know it's hard to accept, but after Cinematic Titantic hit the iceburg it's time to move the fuck on!
>>
File: 3453.jpg (16 KB, 575x100) Image search: [Google]
3453.jpg
16 KB, 575x100
Well, that's that I suppose.
>>
>>62611906
Agreed 100%. Part of the show's charm was the cast. Mike worked as a replacement because he was already a member of the show.
>>
File: 234=-0.jpg (98 KB, 600x668) Image search: [Google]
234=-0.jpg
98 KB, 600x668
>>62614356

And this.
>>
>>62610725
I'm 1997, what is this?
>>
>>62614356

If you have a Twitter, bug the fuck out of Mike until he agrees to sign up. Fuck, at least let him write the jokes.
>>
>>62610950
Mike was awful. Joel was comfy as fuck.
>>
>>62614427

Nah, I asked him along with probably quite a few others. It's most like he's not interested in this at all, as Rifftrax does pretty well and it's its own thing now with doing Kickstarters for the Live Riffs and such. I mean, can't rule out a cameo at least, but this is a pretty hard statement to dance around his 'maybe' involvement.
>>
>>62614434
Mike wrote for the show during the Joel era. You're dumb
>>
>>62614356
>>62614395
Fuck this shit then. Cinematic Titanic was absolute trash. Also based Mike.
>>
The premise of the show is probably the greatest thing in tv history, it's brilliant. But I never though the show was funny, ever.
>>
Says a lot that Joel did this without telling everyone else.
>>
>Have a perfect finale
>This fucking hack has to go and resurrect the corpse because Cinematic Titanic was a total failure

If he does manage to bring it back I hope he uses different robots, Crow, Servo, and Gypsy are living the good life watching bad movies with Mike on Earth.
>>
>>62614591
Yeah, or even mentioning the Rifftrax guys. Creepy vibe, no way around it
>>
>>62614599
>If he does manage to bring it back I hope he uses different robots, Crow, Servo, and Gypsy are living the good life watching bad movies with Mike on Earth.

As much as I'd like that, you have to think about trying to pitch a show without those familiar faces. Then again, if we're lacking the VO of the bots and the host is completely new, then it might be a bit wonky regardless.

So actually, that could work since almost all the old components of the show we loved is basically gone. Another one of the biggest factors is who is writing it?
>>
File: 1379334446735.jpg (76 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1379334446735.jpg
76 KB, 600x450
>>62614599
>>62614723

He's using the old bots, the three biggest donation things are to get Servo and Crow bots from the episodes.
>>
>>62610725
WOO ITS HAPPENING
>>
>>62614871

Oh, I know. Was just kind of fun to think about a new cast, but I'll still chip in a little bit for this since the series has been with me for so long and through a bit.
>>
>>62610905
>>62611546
>>62612730
>>62614078
Hello reddit
>>
Joel needs to play the mad scientist. It's poetry.
>>
File: 34=-05.jpg (102 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
34=-05.jpg
102 KB, 500x333
Here's a full statement from Mike:

>Just a quick follow-up to my last post: and I know I risk being insufferable with this stuff, so please, please skip if you're not interested in the sausage making.
I loved my time at MST, but I was in essence a hired gun. The brand does not belong to me, and I make and have made (almost) zero dollars off it since it stopped production in 1999.
But HAPPILY -- I've spent nine years putting all my energies into RiffTrax (we now have created more tracks than we did in our time at MST!) and we have tons of exciting stuff coming up, including more live shows, more feature length stuff (including one of the finest films to ever feature an NES Power Glove), shorts, etc., etc.
As a fan of riffing of all kinds I'm glad there's going to be more out there, but just wanted to give a fuller picture of why I'm not involved.
Let me just close by saying how enormously grateful I am to be able to continue to work at something I love. So, thank you, all.
>>
>>62616200
christ

I know the guy's gotta eat, but try to show at least a LITTLE empathy for the fans, mike
>>
>>62616391

Yeah, I'm starting to think that they'e might of actually had some kind of issue behind the scenes. That statement comes off so dry.
>>
>>62610725
No mike, no thank you
>>
>>62610986
>>implying riffing good movies is funny
There's literally hundreds of RiffTrax, I have 120 of them and the only ones that I'd actually say are good movies in front of real people are:

>Alien
>The Bourne Identity
>LOTR trilogy
>The Matrix
>Raiders of the Lost Ark
>Wrath of Kahn
>>
>>62611356
I think the deal was whoever manages to revive the show first gets to host it
>>
>>62611318
Other than side-projects by the original cast and shameless shitty rip-offs, there's nothing remotely like it. Completely untapped market.
>>
File: 1433377012689.png (207 KB, 315x398) Image search: [Google]
1433377012689.png
207 KB, 315x398
>Joel
>Not Mike
>>
>>62611695
>Devil Doll
Best skit in MST3k desu senpai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjiwSwzsby4
>>
I sympathize with Joel, I really do, but I'm just not going to pay money for a recreation of a show long past its golden age starring a bunch of unknown nobodies. I don't think I'd want the show no matter who they got to cast it, but let's say I did, Joel should at least provide a little more info on some names they're entertaining or who's showed interest in the project.

The kickstarter is just him saying "hey guys give me a couple million bucks and I'll make some new MST3K, don't sweat the details I'll figure it all out", and attaching a couple messages from Crow and Tom that may or may not (probably not) have any actual sentiment from Bill and Kevin behind them. I'm picturing him just standing alone behind the counter, holding up both puppets, doing the voices himself.. no one else in the room.. it's so sad.
>>
>>62616750
>Best skit
>Not the Screaming Skull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKL_8IKpnp4
>>
averaging $100 atm
>>
>>62612633
>Joel's camp and Mike's dont work with each other at all
Pearl defected recently to do a couple of Rifftraxes
>>
why do they need 2 mil?
>>
>>62616815
>>62616750
Gold, but you're both wrong, it's Dog & Bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-dsQx5XZc
>>
I love the sentiment, but it's just too hard to really produce nowadays. If you get Joel, Mike, Trace or Bill, and Kevin I'd be in. But it'd have to be all of those people to feel even remotely the same. I don't know, I just don't think the "aesthetic" for lack of an actual term works today in the show's favor. MST3K is the kind of show you throw on at 2am and watch in the dark while having a few drinks by yourself. It's not meant for this instant satisfaction, finger tip culture. That sounded pretty fedoray. What the fuck do I know though? Will probably chuck 10 bucks towards it
>>
File: 1292529625316.png (6 KB, 210x229) Image search: [Google]
1292529625316.png
6 KB, 210x229
>imagining yourself lost in space with Mike in the Satellite of Love
>only puppets and old films to entertain yourself
>what else could we do to pass the time?
>>
File: 1440941102907.jpg (71 KB, 567x564) Image search: [Google]
1440941102907.jpg
71 KB, 567x564
>>62611686

Please, people can't be that fucking gullible.

>Huge MST3k fan
>Will never send any of these jabronis a single fucking dime.

Why can't Joel fund this venture like a fucking adult? You know, lining up actual investors; maybe getting some financing and loans. Fuck this kickstarter shit.
>>
File: 1433098532993.gif (375 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1433098532993.gif
375 KB, 500x281
>>62617272
>mfw imagining some 20-something youtuber shouting WE GOT MOVIE SIGN
>>
>>62611151
I think it's worth the two million to not have to listen to a squealing fat faggot forcing unfunny gripes about MRAs or DSP into everything he does regardless of how irrelevant they are to the topic he's discussing.
>>
File: good day?.jpg (27 KB, 552x498) Image search: [Google]
good day?.jpg
27 KB, 552x498
>>62617768
>>
>I loved my time at MST, but I was in essence a hired gun.
Surprising that he would show so much loyalty towards it, then.
>>
>>62613578
I didn't know Joel is a female.
>>
>>62613855
>ranting about liberals
Based Mike.
>>
Youtube and rifftrax make this show irrelevant.
>>
>>62618576
>rifftrax

Yeah, it's how I'm feeling about it. I love MST3k, but this won't quite be the same thing as it was back then. It ended in a decent spot, so this being brought back is a little bit smearing of its name.
>>
YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE THREAD

I REPEAT, YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE THREAD

MST3K HAS BEEN DECLARED CANCELLED AND DESTINED TO BE FORGOTTEN

LEAVE NOW, AND LEAVE PEACEFULLY

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR

COMEDY CENTRAL GUARANTEES TO ENTERTAIN ALL OF YOU WITH AMUSING, UP-TO-DATE ALTERNATIVE PROGRAMMING

YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE THREAD

I REPEAT, YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE THREAD
>>
This seems like a good thread to plug my shitty website: schlockstream.com. It used to be kind of fun when people were in the chat, riffing on the movies. If you like MST3K, it might be worth your time.
>>
>$2.2million for three fucking episodes

What in the FUCK.

Just fucking acquire the rights to some shit movie and stop trying to be Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic. We liked it when you riffed SHITTY movies no one knows about, not fucking movies we can all watch ourselves.
>>
>>62612313
It took 1 million dollars to make each SciFi Channel episode back in the day
>>
>>62618896
This post needs a soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOaV_Pv9X60
>>
File: 1446972448863.png (408 KB, 800x825) Image search: [Google]
1446972448863.png
408 KB, 800x825
>old crew barely mentioning it
>joel already said he wasn't gonna host it
>mfw

Alright, we gotta accept that it ain't gonna be like before. What's the worst possible host they can get?
>>
>>62619644
>What's the worst possible host they can get?
Presumably you're looking for a comedian? Otherwise I'd have to go with former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown
>>
>>62611816

Enjoy Felicia Day as the new Mad, I know how much /tv/ loves her
>>
>>62620971
Oh lord, I'll kill myself if that happens.
>>
>>62621059
Get your hypno-helio-static-stasis ready then pal
>>
>>62621075

Eww.
>>
>>62621075
>>62620971

Is she still relevant now?
>>
>>62621142
Your tone of ennui will certainly end her involvement in this project.
>>
>>62621192

Does she even do anything anymore?
>>
>>62621234
Yes, this show, keep up mate
>>
File: ks.jpg (35 KB, 634x178) Image search: [Google]
ks.jpg
35 KB, 634x178
>>62621234
>>62621192
>>62621075
How much do you think she chipped in?
>>
File: 1403650563239.gif (40 KB, 269x317) Image search: [Google]
1403650563239.gif
40 KB, 269x317
>>62621075
I've changed my mind. I like Mike more than Joel now. Much, much more. Mike would call her a degenerate.
>>
>>62621905
$1

Isn't she dating a jew?
>>
Joel
>liberal
>whiny
>limp wristed
>needs to be in control
>left mst3k because he couldn't work well with others
>longs for the past
>realizes he threw away the only thing he had
>passive aggressive
>copies Mike but does a crap job of it
>begs for money, thinking he deserves it

Mike
>conservative
>Christian
>after losing mst3k he starts a profitable offshoot to continue doing what he loves
>loyal to his friends
>doesn't play into Joel's drama

Based Mike
>>
File: vMDQ6eF.gif (321 KB, 1608x1017) Image search: [Google]
vMDQ6eF.gif
321 KB, 1608x1017
>>62621966
This cost her at least $1,000 on Shadowrun's Kickstarter
>>
>>62622149
> MST3K is offering creative control bonuses

she's literally buying her way into showbiz
>>
>>62610725
>5 million for 12 episodes
Does it really cost that much? The old show looked like it set them back a few thousand at most
>>
Time was not kind to you, Joel
>>
>>62614356
Smart guy.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>62622431
Time was not kind to either of the hosts.
>>
>>62622380
That was back when you could by shit movie rights for a few bucks. They all want big money now when they know you are using it for something like this.
>>
>>62610725
Who is that doing tom servo's voice in the video? Terrible, I don't like it
>>
File: 6566147131_7d9c4af44d_z.jpg (247 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
6566147131_7d9c4af44d_z.jpg
247 KB, 640x480
>>62622380

I'd imagine the streaming rights to various films isn't cheap. But knowing Joel this is just a grab for greasy nostalgia/neet bucks from rubes stupid enough to continue to crowdfund shit.
>>
>>62622542
I do not know but Joel said in the ama that those are the new voices and the guy sitting in the host spot is the new host.
So that is officially the new Tom
>>
As someone who adores MST3K with every fiber of my being I just can't see this working without Mike.

If you look at the quality of shows before Mike you can see where it took off.

With that said the Host segments suffered greatly without Joel but the film riffing we still on point.

But who knows it might work. If Joel hires some good writers. Im hoping it will.

It's just that they had a perfect storm of funny brewing there in Minneapolis. Even when Trace left the riffing was still outstanding. And I don't think I could see anyone but Kevin Murphy as the voice of Servo.

But id like to see it work. So Optimistic with reservations in my thoughts about it
>>
MSTIE from the beginning here. Well, season one, not the KTMA days, but you get the idea. Let it stay dead please. There is NOTHING said in this kickstarter that has me wanting to donate. What's the point if Trace and Kevin aren't voicing the bots? And Joel not hosting? Forget it. This is like when Billy Corgan said he was reuniting The Smashing Pumpkins, but it was only him and Jimmy Chamberlin, and Jimmy got fired like 2 months into the reunion. It's in name only. We have Rifftrax. We don't need this.
>>
Doesn't Joel do voiceover work nowadays? Last I read up he does stuff for Steven Universe
>>
What was that line in Track of the Moonbeast?

"No, I've got my chatrooms."

Sums up 4chan pretty well.
>>
>>62610919
>camp Joel or Mike?
not even reading the rest of this thread.
True fans know they both have their pros and cons.
>>
Jonah Ray is the new host? Who the fuck is that?
>>
File: rlm2.jpg (63 KB, 800x601) Image search: [Google]
rlm2.jpg
63 KB, 800x601
>>62610725
These guys do it better. MST3K guys should stay retired to be honest.
>>
File: 1446327448175.jpg (126 KB, 1092x1037) Image search: [Google]
1446327448175.jpg
126 KB, 1092x1037
Mike Nelson confirmed that he has nothing to do with this (check his facebook).

Which means probably none of the rifftrax crew are. Dropped.
>>
'riffing' on movies is not funny
Talking shit about movies is funny
MST3K does not have a good sense of humour
RLM has a good sense of humour
>>
>>62622665
I like Joel more than a lot of people seem to but I'm worried about it too, especially since nobody on the rifftrax side of things is on board with any of it.

Apparently they're announcing the new host and mad fairly soon, I'm holding off on final judgement until then. I'd love for it to work but in the social media age it feels like there'd be too much meme/diversity-quota bullshit getting in the way
>>
>>62616568
>forgetting Jaws
>>
So far Trace, Bill, and Mike have said they're not involved. Mary Jo Pehl, Frank and Kevin Murphy haven't said anything that I can find.

That's basically all the writing talent from the old series uninvolved, can't say I'm that excited about this now.
>>
>>62624052
>roastie

no
>>
>>62624222

Yeah it's too bad. The pitch says nothing about who is involved and that to me is very telling. Apparently Cinematic Titanic was pretty good and had all the old cast/writers except Mike, Bill and Kevin. If everyone was on board with the project I'd back it but this looks like the saddest nostalgia grab since MST3K The Flash Cartoon.
>>
>>62611050
Joel doesn't hate Mike but he hates the producer guy Mike's still working with today.
>>
Seems as if Trace isn't too happy about it, and he was on team Joel.

Sad thing is all the people throwing money at this with no idea that it's just Joel. Just seems kind of dishonest. He should have let it die if he couldn't get the others on board.
>>
>>62611656
>implying /tv/ has the cinematic power level to understand half of the references
Behind the camera jokes are too hard for /tv/.
>>
File: 29pvn0g.jpg (14 KB, 415x480) Image search: [Google]
29pvn0g.jpg
14 KB, 415x480
>ppl want Shit-tier unfunny retsupurae clone back

Oh marone.
>>
i feel like /tv/ could form a better mst3k team for nothing

in fact, i could probably do it myself

but part of the fun of mst3k is pretending youre watching a movie with other people, doing it alone seems weird and sad
>>
File: i gave doug walker 1250.jpg (84 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
i gave doug walker 1250.jpg
84 KB, 640x960
So do you think he's going to donate to one of the be on the show tiers?
>>
>>62610725

Why did this show go away in the first place? It must have been so cheap to do. Just need to buy the rights to crappy old films no one cares about.
>>
>>62616200
not very much loyalty for a hired gun
>>
>>62614315
Mike, Bill and Kevin really made the show actually worth watching.
>>
>>62629503

>Q: I heard MST3K has been cancelled! Is that true? When and how was it announced?
A: On February 24, 1999, BBI released a statement which read, in part:

After producing its 10th season of episodes, Best Brains Inc. of Eden Prairie, Minnesota, will close the curtain on its Peabody Award winning series, Mystery Science Theater 3000, as the Sci-Fi Channel will not be ordering any new programs.

"Ten years is a great run for any series. We've had a tremendous ride and it's time for Mike Nelson and the 'Bots to come down to Earth," Executive Producer and Best Brain's President Jim Mallon said today.

"We'd like to thank our families, friends and our tremendous fans for all of their support over the years. We'd also like to thank the Sci-Fi Channel for a great run which brought us to our 10th year."

>Q: Why did Sci-Fi Channel officials decide to stop ordering episodes?
A: Initially, network executives said the issue was ratings, pure and simple. Later, they also noted that the cost of acquiring the rights to movies for riffing was getting too high. Many viewers also noticed a change in the network after Barry Schulman -- MST3K's chief defender at the channel -- departed, and Bonnie Hammer -- an executive from what was then Sci-Fi's parent company, USA Networks -- took over. MST3K apparently did not fit with her vision for the network.
>>
>>62614935
"hey look at me! I am /tv/ and I am contrarian just because I can be. And if you like anything at all, you are reddit. Because thats an insult, right?"
>>
>>62631286
guess watching movies in space just wasn't as scifi-wait excuse me, syfy- as good old wrestling and paid programming
>>
>>62629439

oh shit you know what, it's certainly possible
he does need a way to break into the industry
>>
>>62631390

Bonnie Hammer is cancer. She's also what's helping to kill RAW. She's the one that demanded the show go to three hours and is the reason the show is still three hours long, even though ratings are plummeting faster than Owen Hart.
>>
I like RiffTrax but they need to stop using actually decent movies in their videos, it just ain't funny
>>
>>62610807
>almost $900 000 raised
>in less than one day
I wouldn't be to worried
>>
>rewards include wallpapers and ringtone
Are we still in 2005?
>>
>>62619644
Larry David on SoL would be interesting.
>>
>old, broke joel shilling again
>wont even appear in the shows

lel
>>
>>62613205
Thank you for reminding me of this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a4oU5d51c8k
>>
>>62616200
Anyone else not a fan of the non-B movie riffing that Rifftrax does? Whenever they try to riff a movie that's at least competently put together the jokes seem like a stretch a lot of the times like they're just nitpicking and desperate. It's because there isn't a whole lot of material when riffing a big budget movie. Because on a technical level or production value level, those movies look okay. And even if the acting or writing is mediocre, there's only so many jokes you can make unless it's absolutely god awful, which most major releases aren't, they're just meh sometimes
>>
File: interested.jpg (10 KB, 312x232) Image search: [Google]
interested.jpg
10 KB, 312x232
what's going on here?
>>
>>62619644
Obviously, the answer is Lowtax. Think about it... you know it to be true.
>>
File: Big Bob is on the Job.gif (366 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
Big Bob is on the Job.gif
366 KB, 256x255
here is how to bring back mst3k on the cheap

1. patch up with scifi
2. riff on scifi channel original movie back log
3. when new scifi channel movies premier, follow up the premier with mst3k riffs of the new movies

mst3k gets cheap movie rights, and scifi actually gets people to watch their movies and purchase their dvds.
>>
File: sfw image.png (473 KB, 639x578) Image search: [Google]
sfw image.png
473 KB, 639x578
let's play best case / worst case

best case,
hosted by mike with the last gen puppeteers w/ doctor forrester and tv's frank as the mads

worst case
involving pearl in any capacity
letting red letter media people guest host
riffing intentionally bad movies like sharknado
adding a new female puppet
gladiator movies
>>
why are they asking for so much money?
>>
>>62624052
I cannot fathom how anyone can have taste this shit.
>>
>>62624052
>>62624537
Go away, false flagger.
>>
>>62627849
Obvious bait but I'm gonna respond anyway. Retsupurae used to be funny but they went downhill once slowbeef started to become a flaming SJW and even at their peak they never came close to matching MST3K.
>>
>>62632800
Then you should be very happy with the direction they've been going in for the last four years. They now mainly riff shitty b-movies.
>>
>>62610923
Mike already confirmed he has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>62616200
Yikes. It sounds like he's basically going "yeah fuck that, but check out my new stuff!"
>>
>>62614935
Desperation: The Post
>>
File: i smell somethin.jpg (31 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
i smell somethin.jpg
31 KB, 320x240
>>62610829
>now and days
>>
>>62639809
Wow way to chime in a whole day late fuckstick. He confirmed it AFTER that post was made.
>>
File: He's gonna get you.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
He's gonna get you.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
Will Spoony be the new host?
>>
Joel is friends with Judd Apatow. Maybe he can hook him up with Amy Schumer's number to host the show.
>>
>>62640736
She can be the new Pearl
>>
>Joel didn't back anything prior to making the Kickstarter
>Backs this less than a day after MST3K KS goes live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ballyhoomotionpics/celluloid-wizards-in-the-video-wasteland
>>
>>62621905
She better not be the new mad
>>
>>62638496
Those movies are purposely made terrible though. It would defeat the purpose of the show.
>>
>>62640872

Joel is an old man. Cut him some slack. He probably just figured out the internet yesterday to do his kickstarter.
>>
>>62616568
>>62626810
>forgetting Halloween, Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, Memento, Predator, The Lost Boys, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and the Star Wars original trilogy
>>
>>62641697
I'll give you Predator, but I wouldn't call any of the others good movies.
>>62626810
Jaws sucked too.
>>
>>62641740
You have shit taste desu senpai.
>>
File: feel noose crying.jpg (36 KB, 300x354) Image search: [Google]
feel noose crying.jpg
36 KB, 300x354
>tfw nothing is sacred
Why can't Joel just start a brand new thing or go back to Cinematic Titanic? Rifftrax is proof that online riffing can be very profitable.
>>
>>62611093
Cinematic Titanic was good.
>>
It was a great great show.

But it went out on a high note and was a product of the 80's/90's. Why fuck up a good thing?
>>
I was born in 1997, what is this?
>>
Fucking captcha is getting worse. over 20 times and then an error I expect, but not doing that 4 times in a row. That's 80 times to make one post. good, only 4.

>>62632832
I'm worried it WILL get funded.
This has all the signs of a bad project to throw money at, and yet it's getting so much. It's like no one's learned the lessons over years and years of what not to fund on kickstarter.
I'm almost expecting this to fail more spectacularly that anyone can imagine, like someone that Joel hires runs off with most of the money, or Joel does, sort of like Pat Lee, he'll move to somewhere safe like China and claim it wasn't his fault at all but that he's not coming back to face the law.
>>
Someone, somewhere is dusting off an ancient dot matrix printer right now to print out "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE".
>>
yay, another shitty american sitcom with laughtrack

americans unionically like sitcoms?
>>
File: 1446820877456.jpg (46 KB, 700x297) Image search: [Google]
1446820877456.jpg
46 KB, 700x297
>$2,000,000/two million fucking dollars
>3 episodes

It's painfully obvious what's going on here.
How much do you think those old eps on SFC used to cost them?
Very unlikely to reach that quality again.

Fuckin dropped pham
>>
>>62611616
> I don't understand comedy
> I don't understand aging

You don't understand comedy or aging
>>
If the voices from the video are the actual hosts, I won't be watching any of this.
>>
>>62642670
Worst bait I've seen all day.
>>
>>62642807
EVERYTHING I DONT AGREE WITH IS BAIT
>>
>>62642745

They tended to buy movie rights in bulk for cheap which is why they kept doing episodes from the same companies in certain seasons (i.e. 9 Sandy Frank episodes in Season 3).

Everyone's more anal now about licensing even their shit movies that it's all become more expensive. Even the current owner of fucking Manos has started to exercise more control over it now.
>>
>>62610725
>Premieres at Los Angeles and New York City

Why? Why not do it on the cheap at a comfy theater in a small town?
>>
>>62642840
MANOS.
>>
>>62642861
The hands of fate?
>>
>>62614315
opinions. Mine is that CT was great. RiffTrax is ok, but lots of mediocre installments.
>>
>>62642818
MST3K isn't a sitcom and has never had a laughtrack, you retard.
>>
It's raised another 60k in the time it took me to read this thread.

I chipped in a few hundred. Way too much pessimism in this thread.
>>
>millions of dollars for a handful of episodes
>no Mike
>no Bill
>no Kevin
>possibly even no Joel (kickstarter mentions "new host"
This stinks of shit and while I love the fuck out of MST3k, Rifftrax have filled their place and they don't need to come back. Definitely not as some frankenstein monster remake shit like this.
>>
Do you think the sets would be modern and polished if they got the money they wanted?

Because that would suck.
>>
>>62643179
I dunno, the movie set was quite polished and I really liked that. Shame they didn't build the set at the Best Brains studio so they could keep it.
>>
>>62643249
>mfw the movie was shorter than any episode
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.