[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched this. 10/10 What did /tv/ think?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 8
File: prisoners-poster1.jpg (164 KB, 1024x1638) Image search: [Google]
prisoners-poster1.jpg
164 KB, 1024x1638
Just watched this. 10/10

What did /tv/ think?
>>
Classic/10
>>
I thought it was a decent story with bland execution. Average and forgettable to me, although I seem to be in the minority with that one.
>>
The most IMDB sensibility film made so far. Anybody who thinks that Prisoners is above mediocre is juvenile about the medium and entirely emblematic of the video game crossposter fueled downfall of this board.

Villeneuve is one of the biggest trashmasters working today. This is hot pocket the movie. Cheeto dust: the flick.

IMDB "FILM BUFF" pleb fodder. If you like this film then you are an enemy of the medium.

>MUH BASED JAKE
>MUH BASED DEAKINS
>MUH DARK THRILLER
>MUH RELIGIOUS SYMBOLISM

ALL THE MEMES ARE THERE

ALL THE MEMES ARE THERE
>>
Shit. Especially the 2nd and 3rd act.
>>
7/10
>>
>>67256195
same
>>
That Denis Villeneuve is a director worthy of following. That he then topped himself with Sicario.
>>
Prisoners is THE example of inauthentic sensibility cinema. It doesn't get more juvenile "film buff" than this movie. Everything from the casting, to the themes, to the cinematography. It physically pains me to even think about it. Fincher was always the epitome of IMDB to me until this movie, but then Villenvue managed to topple him. I hope he doesn't ruin blade runner 2
>>
>>67256206
>>67256325
Hmm
>>
>>67256317
Villeneuve is on the short list of directors where if I ever saw them in the street I would do everything within my power to kill them without a moments hesitation. (others include Nolan, Tarantino, Jeff Nichols, Paul Thomas Anderson)

I love cinema and his continued existence is doing it nothing but harm.
>>
>>67256425
kek
>>
>>67256206
Name 10 better movies from that year.
>>
File: top-2013.jpg (363 KB, 1280x728) Image search: [Google]
top-2013.jpg
363 KB, 1280x728
>>67256525
>>
>>67256525
The Counselor
Inside Llewyn Davis
Sightseers
Nympomaniac
Berberian Sound Studio
A Touch Of Sin
All Is Lost
Locke
The Act Of Killing
Before Midnight

Off the top of my head none of these are as bad as Prisoners.
>>
More like 8/10. Jake's hair is fucking great.
>>
>>67256767
>The Counselor

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>67256750
>tom at the farm

Faggots gtfo
>>
Fantastic film, in my top 3 of 2013 alongside The Place Beyond The Pines and Her.

That movie really proved how good of an actor Hugh Jackman is, like I just think he's a generic superhero actor from Wolverine, but the man is incredibly talented
>>
File: stopped.jpg (14 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
stopped.jpg
14 KB, 250x272
>>67256767
>Nympomaniac
>>
>>67256789
Because you are infantile about cinema. One of the greatest audience antagonizing pleb smashers ever made.
>>
>>67256750
Spring Breakers is literally the worst film I've ever seen in my life though.
>>
7 or 8

Completely overblown by plebs (per usual)
>>
>>67256831
Yeah, he can shout really loud, lmao.

Paul Dano was the only performance in this movie worth a shit.
>>
>>67256861
Spring Breakers is fun. It's satirical, and colorful, and satisfying, in story and sexual sense
>>
>>67256097
>Academy award nominee
>Academy award nominee
>Academy award nominee
>Golden globe nominee
>Academy award nominee
>Academy award winner
>and paul dano

Must suck to be Dano.
>>
>>67256861
Not my fault you have garbage ass taste
>>
>>67256861
The fact that somebody like you hated it so much only goes to show that it's a masterpiece.

One of the greatest works of art of the this decade so far in any medium.
>>
>>67256425
Why don't you just kill yourself instead?
>>
File: 1409088706794.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1409088706794.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>67256767
>>67256750
>Nympomaniac at all
>somehow Inside Llewyn Davis is good while Prisoners is bad
>Spring Breakers

Senpai, kill yourself.l
>>
>>67256900
>>67256912
How can you like Spring Breakers more then Prisoners? I liked Spring Breakers but loved Prisoners.
>>
>>67256928
Because I am a beautiful warrior of golden light with a cause that is just that I am ready to do anything for.

I'd be willing to put a bullet in the head of every child on the planet to save cinema from such capeshit, and that is a very special thing.
>>
>>67256861
that's too bad
maybe one day you'll like it
>>
>>67256903
should have been nominated for something for love and mercy
>>
>>67256425
Does your girlfriend feel the same way?
>>
Fucking loved it.

>based Jake
>based Deakins
>epic dark thriller
>that religious symbolism

Villeneuve is a genius.
>>
>>67256952
>I liked Spring Breakers but loved Prisoners.
That's because you're infantile about cinema.
>>
>>67256945
>>somehow Inside Llewyn Davis is good while Prisoners is bad
inside llewyn davis is their best film since millers crossing
>>
Enemy was better
>>
>>67256206
if this isn't a pasta then you are a fag
>>
>>67256900
Taking ecstasy and having my anus prolapsed is also fun and satisfying, but I'm not going to call it art.

>>67256927
No, it's really not, it's watered-down Malick that manages to be both annoyingly metaphorical yet devoid of any substance, it relies utterly on the brain-dead morons to mistake it for art and provide their own sense of meaning. It's hack cinema, masquerading as being meaningful.
>>
>>67256767
Regardless of your other picks, Nymphomaniac is legitimately shit.
>>
I have about as much respect for Prisoners as I do for the dogshit on my shoe. It is reddit. It is video game hotpocket. It is capeshit. It is cheeto dust. I'm literally screaming right now and slamming my arms down on my desk just thinking about it.

It is the most depraved video game infantilized manchild degeneracy. It is saturday morning cartoon. It is non-neurotypicality. It is memes. It is video game. It is Nolan. It is imdb.
>>
>>67256750
>>67256767
Are these lists meant to be serious, or is it just /tv/ being satirical?

This board is slowly becoming r/truefilm
>>
>>67257187
>serious, or is it just /tv/ being satirical
>>67257167
>It is video game hotpocket. It is capeshit. It is cheeto dust. I'm literally screaming right now and slamming my arms down on my desk just thinking about it.
>>
>>67257187
Sorry did you start posting on /tv/ in 2014 after bane shit made the board popular with meme plebs?
>>
>>67257167
Alright, without the memes and autistic anger, let's dissect it.

I think it's good because it's got fantastic acting, beautiful cinematography, extremely tight and tense pacing and well-fleshed out characters. Now why is that a bad film?
>>
>>67257123
What if I like it because I don't give a fuck what deep meaning it has, I like the boobs and neon and excitement. It's ok to take a movie at face value, and doing so with Prisoners really shows its flaws. Mediocre and over the top acting. Zero character set up, just your stereotypical person in each position. Bland cinematography. Nothing new at all in the handling of the subject

Now, are deeper and meaningful films more satisfying an important? Of course. Spring Breakers is fun but extremely repetitive and heavy handed. But Prisoners is just as empty. It brings nothing new to the table at all in its genre, and is executed competently enough but entirely uninspired and uninteresting
>>
>>67257166
Yes, and still better than Prisoners. Here is another list of 2013 movies better than Prisoners and I consider them all to be bad.

Fast 6
Her
Place Beyond The Pines
Gravity
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf Of Wall Street
The Great Beauty
Blue Is The Warmest Color
The World's End
Blue Jasmime

Prisoners is among the very worst of the decade so far. It is so IMDB/adult video game player enabling. I am slapping myself on the back of the my head now just thinking about it.
>>
>>67256097
>"What did /tv/ think?"

Depends on when you ask. If you asked at the release date everyone here praised it and Villeneuve was everyone's favorite current director ("I knew he would be great before you, Incendies was even better" and such)

But as soon as his name was recognized by normies in the general public and /tv/ no longer had a special snowflake director now suddenly he is a fincher lite hack meme imdb reddit and any other new buzzword. It's the same process with every movie/director/actor. Contrarian as always

The movie is very good
>>
>>67257250
See points made: >>67257271
It has none of those things. It pretends to perhaps, but lacks depth and intrigue
>>
>>67257250
>fantastic acting, beautiful cinematography, extremely tight and tense pacing and well-fleshed out characters.
Literally all of these things are IMDB/capeshit attributes for a film to have. Pro-audience engagement garbage. The last point you made isn't even true for this flick.
>>
>>67257187
>This kind of faggot

Anything, literally anything, that someone puts on a list will warrant a couple of autists to call the guy a pleb with shit taste and other pejorative variants. Anything. You can't never be 'right' here.
>>
>>67256097
I want to beat up paul dano now wtf?
>>
>>67257275
Must suck to have such shit taste.
>>
>>67257271
>What if I like it because I don't give a fuck what deep meaning it has, I like the boobs and neon and excitement

This is what cinema is becoming, it's people like this who are responsible for films slowly becoming CGI-bloated montages of explosions and nudity. We might as well be watching flickering lights and listening to dubstep in our VR headsets while masturbating in a corner.
>>
>>67257166
What was your top 10 for 2013 ?
>>
>>67257315
Says the man defending what is literally "IMDB sensibilities: the movie".
>>
>>67256750
nymphomaniac is absolute shit, melancholia now that's a bon trier film
>>
>>67257343
Top ten lists are retarded. I don't have one.
>>
>>67257345
How so?
>>
>>67257275
Dude just stop. Also stop this faggy "here's a list of bad movies" shit.

Name some actually good movies if you dare. Show us your superior taste.
>>
>>67257250
And to add, the pacing is quite poor. Saying a movie is too long isn't a good criticism, but Prisoners felt it because of the pacing. It dragged on and on, throwing is into the world of what were almost caricatures, with predictable actions and little for us to are about or connect to
>>
>>67257311
So what you're saying is I should rabidly defend my own taste while calling everyone else a faggot and a pleb without giving their opinion any thought?

I think I finally understand this board.
>>
Incendies>Sicario>Prisoners=Enemy
>>
>>67257384
>IMDB aesthetic cinematography and production design
>IMDB actors giving IMDB enabling performances
>IMDB enabling themes
>IMDB enabling pacing and use of tension
>IMDB symbolism
>>
>>67256750
>he calls Villeneuve a hack
>he thinks Harmony 'Can't get any father up my own ass' Korine is good
>>
>>67257336
Look, I also mentioned it was often flawed and that "fun" movies are inferior to more artistic movies. I wasn't fooled by anything, I was simply able to enjoy different types of movies
>>
>>67257429
Sicario is the worst of the four m8. The worst on every level.
>>
>>67257439
Oh you're autistic.
>>
>>67257386
I like the movies in the first list I posted.
>>
>>67257381
I'll give you 10 minutes to pretend you're coming up with one

And then I'll assume you're a tasteless drone if you're going to keep up that act
>>
>>67256789
Only plebs and idiots couldn't sit through the Counselor
>>
>>67257439
This is quite possibly the worst post I've ever seen.
>>
>>67257462
You are wrong
>>
Prisoners is what I imagine you get if Nolan tried to make a Fincher movie.

What a cocktail of shit.
>>
>>67256859
Deuce Bigalow is also an audience-antagonizing pleb smasher.
>>
File: 46789996466.gif (1 MB, 250x157) Image search: [Google]
46789996466.gif
1 MB, 250x157
>>67257462
>Sicario is the worst
I agree, but it had the best character of them all.
>>
>>67257462
Sicario is easily better than Prisoners and Enemy thought. Haven't' watched the other one. Should I?
>>
>This is the current hot 'filmic discussion' thread on the board

Toddlers probably could do better
>>
>>67257550
Please explain to me how.
>>
>>67257429
Most of these plebs haven't even seen Incendies
imdb trash like Prisoners put him on the map for most of these apes
>>
>>67257469
>Off the top of my head none of these are as bad as Prisoners.

Yeah that doesn't sound like you liked all that much, mate.
>>
>>67257496
>bad script
>stilted performances
>contrived plot
>shit pacing
>totally off-base with the topics it covers

Give me a break dipshit
>>
recommend me movie like this
>>
>>67257637
Heat
>>
>>67257582
Prisoners is a movie for toddlers so it's appropriate. Villeneuve is one of the least talented men on the planet. I fully believe that I have contributed more of value to cinema through my posts on this board than he has through making his "films".
>>
>>67257666
You forgot the cheetos and bashing your head into the wall
>>
>>67257637
Zodiac
>>
>>67257637
Mystic River
>>
>>67256206
7/10 bait made me reply
>>
>this one autist going on and on about IMDB

Cheers m8, I'm laughing here
>>
Ok guys memes aside, here's why Prisoners was mediocre.
>Cinematography
Bland, didn't do much to tell the story on a visual level
>Acting
Not very convincing. Dano was good, Jake was pretty good, but Jackman and his wife were not, acting over the top and predictable; without subtlety.
>Pacing
Extremely poor. The movie felt an hour too long. It wasn't "tension building", it was wasted time that could have focused on my next point
>Characters
Were thrown into a typical family. Nothing to connect to here, nothing to stand out. Bad things happens so what do we see? You can tell Jackman is angry because he's telling. You can tell his wife is upset because she's crying. In the simplest way possible, we're shown their reactions, but are given nothing to synpathize with, as they do the bare minimum to portray things. We only see them at the extremes of the emotional spectrum, again without nuance. This comes across in their actions as well. Jackman had this "moral struggle", keeping Dano captures and tortured. None of this enveloped you in the story, it just presented itself as a shell of the emotions and actions, if that makes sense. There was nothing there to be considered substance, just us seeing a guy do this, or a guy feel that. It was shallow.

So ultimately, the story is alright, and it's not an abysmal movie, but it's very bland, lacks subtlety, and ends up being shallow and uninspired, it doesn't do anything to separate from average
>>
>>67257605
I'm not some video game toddler who GET HYPE MUH MEME BROS for a fucking movie. Meme trash fucking infant

The films that don't make me angry for having watched them are ones I "like" in your language. Although from my perspective films that are made to be "liked" aren't cinema at all. I only use that word because it's easier for retards like you to understand me that way.
>>
I don't know why I go to this board honestly, I would rather have 24/7 shitposting then this. It's just people throwing meme buzzwords at each other with no argument, just say good bad cinematography reddit bland tasteless pacing underlying themes and that's it you got your post wether is it positive or negative
>>
>>67256097
Was pretty good, Wouldn't think so if it didnt have Gyllenhaal though.
>>
>>67257749
What was your favorite three movies of 2015, and what were your three favorite shows?
>>
>>67257222
well, pleb?
>>
>>67257542
Was the best reason to even watch the movie.

If the whole movie was like the car ride into mexico I wouldve had a boner the entire time.
>>
Best haircut in a 2013 movie
>>
>>67257783
If you don't understand why you are here and must always be here on a gut level at all times then you should NOT be here at all.

I AM /tv/, bonded on a level of sensibility with the authentic core on an inseperable level. It would be impossible to know where I end and the board begins, forever bonded.

If you view yourself as an entity seperate to this board then you are in the wrong place /v/eddit crossposer fucking trash.
>>
>>67257783
>MEME
>CHEETOS
>HOT POCKET SENSIBILIYU IMDB
I'm laughing my ass off frankly
>>
>>67256750
Only Leviathan is good, it's basically a russian A serious man
>>
>>67256195
Nope, completely my feelings.
>>
>>67257584
Prisoners is a pretty safe movie. Nothing outrageous about it, everything gets solved in the end in a neat convenient way. It's beautiful but really could've been much better.

Enemy is also pretty safe as an "artsy" flick. What can you even say about it? Again it's beautiful but that's pretty much it.

I think Sicario has the better elements of both of those movies. It's also not safe at all in more than way. It's just a million times more memorable. I think the way the story is told is very intelligent.

To me that's the main reason I put it above them.
>>
>>67257773
The fact people liked a movie doesn't mean it was made to be liked. Also if that's the case then how could you call anything bad? Either you think it's cinema or not. The thing is the movies you posted aren't in any way better than Prisoners all that much. Some of them are even worse.

Also you seem to have a cliche hipster syndrome with your the less popular=the better attitude.
>>
>>67257997
Everything in this post is correct. Sicario is gonna be pretty hard to top
>>
>>67258147
>The fact people liked a movie doesn't mean it was made to be liked.
Wrong.

If it isn't intentionally made to be disliked then it is a bad movie.
>>
>>67257879
Wrong leviathan
>>
>>67258191
Thanks
>>
I wish Deakins would die already, I can't think of anybody in the industry I despise as much as him. He's been making (what passes for) adult American cinema look like video games for decades now.
>>
>>67257997
This is the first time ive heard Sicario called an intelligent movie.
Emily Blunt is condescended to the whole movie like she couldnt understand when in fact the operation is very easy to understand and astoundingly stupid. Blunt couldve been brought up to speed in the time it takes to watch a Simpsons episode. The only lesson at the end for Blunt is 'we cartels ees violenta! Tu es no violent!'

The real life CIA wipes its ass more intelligently than Sicario.
>>
>>67258158
I honestly would rather see him do a Blade Runner reboot than a Blade Runner 2. The first movie was perfect and I don't see how the sequel is needed.
>>
>>67256097
I liked it
but imo it could have been better if it was in Fincher's hands.

Jake was good in the movie, but felt "off" in that role, he's too young.
>>
>>67258527
>I don't see how the sequel is needed.
Because it's a recognizable brand name and there are shekels to be made. I don't like Denis' movies but it's sort of sad he has been dissolved into the capeshit franchise machine, just for what it says about the state of the industry.
>>
File: 315.jpg (16 KB, 261x269) Image search: [Google]
315.jpg
16 KB, 261x269
>>67258449
They didn't need her to understand, in fact they wanted to keep her in the dark. They just needed her to be there.

Are you fucking serious man?
>>
>>67258449
You missed the most crucial part of the plot, the reason why Blunt HAS to be there.
Good job retard.
>>
>>67258602
>Fincher's hands.
>watching Fincher post Dragon Tattoo
Fincher is full plebeian tier
>>
>>67258619
Except they brought her along to figure out and see everything first hand. They took her into an operation Sicario was going to just 'disappear' on and then a cartel kingpin ends up dead? Blunt wouldve seen that shit coming had she seen Sicario get in the car and kill the drug runner or not.

Everything was pointless and shit was terrible
>threw his daughter in a vat of acid
I laughed at that line. It happens irl, but it's delivered so amatuerly that it would only shock a teenagers. Killing the kids? More amatuer groping at shock in place of actual emotional impact.

Sicario was schlock.
>>
>>67258410
VIDEO GAMES IMDB CHEETOS THOSE ARE MY MAIN ARGUMENTS PEOPLE

atleast you made me respond
2/10
>>
>>67258762
Prisoners is full plebeian tier so he would have suited the material very well.
>>
>>67258726
Yeah, and they couldve explained it to her because it was impossible for her not to figure out such a retarded scheme.
>>
Cheetos would be a nice new meme insult t.b.h.
>>
>>67258960
I'm talking it and hot pocket sensibility back to /v/ with me
>>
>>67258762
>post Dragon Tattoo
So you'd disregard him based on the one film he's made since then that wasn't even as bad as Dragon Tattoo?
>>
>>67259010
If you play video games then you ARE the hot pocket sensibility.
>>
>>67256206
Schizophrenia is enjoyable in so many ways.
>>
>>67258762
>>67259014
Gone Girl is top 5 of 2014
>>
>>67259133
I wouldn't go that far but it was certainly better that TGWTDT.
>>
>>67259051
People on /v/ don't play games stupid
>>
File: 1368289214891.jpg (73 KB, 600x808) Image search: [Google]
1368289214891.jpg
73 KB, 600x808
>>67258845
>Except they brought her along to figure out and see everything first hand. They took her into an operation Sicario was going to just 'disappear' on and then a cartel kingpin ends up dead? Blunt wouldve seen that shit coming had she seen Sicario get in the car and kill the drug runner or not.

Non of that makes any sense. Please rewatch the movie at normal speed and without /tv/ open on another window.
>>
Seriously, how do people like this trash or Villenueve in general?

The second half of Prisoners and the revenge final act in Sicario felt like a TV movie. Just complete shit.
>>
>>67256097
one of the bests of 2013. Villeneuve is an interesting director worthy of praise.
>>
File: 1383139934161.jpg (266 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1383139934161.jpg
266 KB, 1024x768
>>67256425
>>
>Prisoners is in any way bad

What a terrible meme. I swear to god the sooner autistic contrarian wankstains off themselves the better.
>>
>>67263005
It was a very solid film. I thought the 3rd act could have been a bit better but jesus christ this movie had me on the edge of my seat in a lot of moments.
>>
>>67263005
I'm not even a contrarian. Look at the non meme posts itt. There are valid and correct points as to why this movies is mediocre.
>>
>>67257749
Jake was phenomenal, give credit where it's due.
>>
>>67263528
Sure, Jake's always great.
>>
>>67257749
I think the strong point of the film is how well it hooks you in the first 15 mins. As someone with little siblings it's hard not to go "oh shit, I hope they catch the guy".

This was a very good movie for a thriller, but I wouldn't go anything beyond that. I watched it expecting jake to catch the bad guys and was pleasantly surprised by the extra stuff they added that didn't have to be there in order to achieve the original thesis(keeping the audience on the edge of their seat). I don't think it's amazing but I wouldn't call it mediocre.
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.