[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Say something nice about the prequels. If you pay attention,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 1-prequels.jpg (166 KB, 1417x700) Image search: [Google]
1-prequels.jpg
166 KB, 1417x700
ITT: Say something nice about the prequels.

If you pay attention, Anakin's fall to the Dark Side was actually done quite well.
>>
John Williams was doing his damnedest to compensate for what was happening on screen
>>
>>67122786

Ok,try to convince me.
>>
It's not surprising that the same people who attack the prequels are always unversed in real film or anything artistic, and that the people who praise the prequels (Zizek, Paglia, Brody, etc) are always literate, educated, and versed in real film.

http://www.vice.com/read/camille-paglia-believes-that-revenge-of-the-sith-is-our-generations-greatest-work-of-art
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-the-seven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

The fact that everyone points to Plinkett as the authority on why the prequels are bad speaks volumes. Mike Stoklasa is one of the least artistic people on the planet - he can't process movies outside of the conventions of Hollywood films, his approach to narrative is tempered with the same surface-level requisites listed on tvtropes.

Any complaint that people have about the prequels illustrates a weak grasp on film. How many art films would they claim has 'too much sitting and talking'? They would watch the end of Breaking the Waves and whine about dated CGI. Their sensibilities for 'good dialogue' in what is intentionally pulp comes from bad pulp, ie, the original Star Wars, the only pulp they've ever seen. They would similarly view any homage-driven art film and miss the entire point.

Lucas' only mistake in the prequels was doing something daring, original, artistic and literate, not realizing that the manchildren conditioned by the original SW trilogy to loathe anything cerebral would lash out against his cinematic risks.
>>
Darth Maul looked cool.
>>
>>67122851
But had no personality.

He was a walking lightsaber.
>>
>>67122869
I said something nice, leave me alone!
>>
>>67122786
sorry man. I only watch certain scenes of this movie on youtube and then watch the OT. The rest of this movie is shit.
>>
The music is fantastic; the physical sets they built are great; the ship, vehicle, and robot designs are generally really good; and the technical prowess is amazing. Yes Jar Jar is annoying, but you're forgetting how amazing that shit was in 1999. A whole character created entirely by a computer, interacting with the actors and the environment and everything. That was revolutionary and mind-blowing before "CGI" became a dirty term.
>>
Lightsaber fights were really well done

Locations were varied and interesting

Political plot was interesting
Ok not gonna lie I fucking love the prequels
>>
>>67122830
Here's the short version.
>be anakin
>dream your mom dies
>go there
>she dies in your arms
>marry the girl of your dreams
>dream she dies
>oh fuck
>gotta save her
>the one guy who can help you is evil
>fuck it
>anything to save her
>do horrible shit
>finally meet her again
>she tells you she doesn't want any of that
>the bitch doesn't appreciate everything you did
>and she brought the one guy who can kill you

And so on.
>>
>>67122968
And I love you.
>>
>>67122843
>How many art films would they claim has 'too much sitting and talking'?

but star wars is an adventure flick franchise.

it`s not bad tho.

and that`s not my biggest issue with the preequels
>>
Excellent worldbuilding with the exception of Coruscant

The music was great

That's all I can say really
>>
>>67122972
it`s all about execution.

it wasn`t done right.
>>
I want to fucking live on Naboo.
>>
Portman was a cutie.
>>
File: TPM1.webm (3 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
TPM1.webm
3 MB, 1920x816
>>67123068
This is indisputable.
>>
>>67123032
>Excellent worldbuilding with the exception of Coruscant

You were supposed to read the Timothy Zahn novels and play Star Wars D6 first.
>>
>>67122968
>Lightsaber fights were really well done
they didn`t have any emotional weigth to it just some coreography.

>Locations were varied and interesting
yeah,kinda.
the clone factory and mustafar are wierd.

>Political plot was interesting
nah,just too much of it.some clues in the dialog while doing something more adventure like would be more intersting.
>>
>>67123048
How would YOU have done it?
>>
File: Natalie-Portman-Natalie-Hershlag.jpg (567 KB, 2048x1314) Image search: [Google]
Natalie-Portman-Natalie-Hershlag.jpg
567 KB, 2048x1314
>I only takes kosher cock in my jewish pussy.
What did she mean by this?
>>
Fuck does it piss anyone else off how close these were to being fucking amazing? They could have been better than the originals. They had a good arc, had plenty of interesting characters, and had well thought out plot but they were just completely ruined due to the most mundane things:
>terrible CGI
Lucas was way too ambitious and this one stupid mistake alone makes the movies nearly unwatchable, especially since they aged like shit. Not the the originals had good effects either, as some of the practials were downright embarrassing.
>poor dialogue and stiff acting
The stiff acting was likely a result of the shitty lines given to the characters, but either way it pisses me off how they made so many interesting and unique characters but none of them felt like they had and substance due to the acting and dialogue
>lightsaber fights
This is really a small annoyance and they could have gotten away with it if they fixed the problems above but it really sucked how the jedi looked like light up pin balls instead of having well choreographed battles.

Fuck I was rewatching the movies recently they just feel like they are a rough draft to something that could have been really amazing, all the pieces are there but they just lack polish. I would have been less mad if the movies were just plain trash but knowing that they are soo close to being good is just unbearable.
>>
>>67123163
i wasn`t saying that i would do better maybe after a film college

george could have handled over the director`s chair to someone yong.
>>
>>67122972
Anakin's fall made sense on paper but the script and acting wasn't up to par to make it compelling or sad. That was the main problem. People were annoyed by Anakin instead of sad for him as a tragic fallen hero.
>>
>>67122843
zizek never praised the prequels
>>
>>67123189
That'd she end up marrying some dude WAY below her league.
>>
>>67123506
Yeah, I never understood that.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.