[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so i just re-watched the prequels and i have to say these actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 1417x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 1417x700
so i just re-watched the prequels and i have to say these actually get a lot of undeserved hate. you can tell there was love and craft put into these worlds. varied creatures, some of the most alien and beautiful worldbuilding i've ever seen. yeah the script is bad but holy shit these settings and designs are beautiful. these are a work of a man who cares deeply for star wars.

>phantom menace
character design - 10/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 7/10

>clone
character design - 9/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 5/10

>sith
character design - 10/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 7/10

i would rank them above all well above TFA, below the OT.
>>
b8
>>
>>66914178
Clones had better plot and creature design

EPISODE I
> naboo star fighter
> pod racer and goggles
> naboo city
> gungan city
> Darth maul
> droidecars

EPISODE II
> kaminoans
> kamino city
> courosaunt
> crab monster
> Dexters diner
Sound design (bonus)
> crab monster screech
> clicking warchie
> wat tambors voice box

EPISODE III
> General grievous
> utapou design
> mustafar
> grievius body gaurd
Plot (bonus)
> order 66
> Character motives for anakins turn
> folly of Darth Plagues

Episode I has the weakest plot and episode III has the strongest
>>
>people actually think phantom wasn't a crime against humanity
what has this world come to
>>
>>66914605
Phantom is by far the worst even worse than TFA. The meme that AofC is worst needs to die now
>>
File: nice meme.webm (306 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.webm
306 KB, 420x300
>>66914178
>>66914397
>>
>>66914605
Checked
>>
>>66914605
>>66914705

Right? Episode One was just a huge waste of time for everyone,
>>
Most of clones and menace were pretty shit, but even then still had some amazing moments (plus Ewan macgregor, best part of prequels) and sith is one of my favourites of whole series. Still had cheesy moments, but that's completely in spirit with the entire saga. No b8 m8.
>>
I can honestly say I loved moments from the prequels more than I did TFA as a whole
>>
>>66914178
Only thing that pisses me off is midi-chlorians. It's probably the biggest contradiction in the films. The rest kind of make sense.
>>
There is some enjoyment to be had in the prequels if you don't take them and disastrous plot holes seriously.

In comparison TFA is just a competent movie that is slowly forgotten after a week. Because there was really nothing to complain about - we wanted Star Wars... we got it.
>>
>>66916645
Part of the reason it's being forgotten is, for Star Wars fans, the same things are at stake in ANH, and for casual goers, it looks just like an action film.
>>
>>66916645
TFA had way more plot holes than all the prequels combined
>>
>>66916680
>way more plot holes than all the prequels
Care to elaborate? Because I think Mr Plinkett would disagree with you there
>>
File: ANNIEYOUSACUCK.png (205 KB, 567x284) Image search: [Google]
ANNIEYOUSACUCK.png
205 KB, 567x284
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>66914178
>character design
>world building
nice memes bro
>>
File: hub.jpg (134 KB, 634x609) Image search: [Google]
hub.jpg
134 KB, 634x609
so i just re-watched the Ghostbusters reboot and i have to say it actually gets a lot of undeserved hate. you can tell there was love and craft put into these worlds. varied creatures, some of the most alien and beautiful worldbuilding i've ever seen. yeah the script is bad but holy shit these settings and designs are beautiful. this is the work of a man who cares deeply for Ghostbusters.
>>
>>66914178
>it's a prequel apologist thread
>he's giving out numerical scores instead of arguments
Does every prequel-loving mongoloid have the cranial capacity of a sea urchin?
>>
Can someone explain this "TFA sucks" meme to me?
How was it bad? And don't tell me it wasn't original, because the only unoriginal part of the movie was Starkiller, but how the fuck can you make an original plot around dozens of new characters while attempting to mesh them with old characters? It's not possible without making a 5 hour movie.

Is /tv/ just trying to meme again?
>>
>>66917092
Starkiller base

Superweapon that can't move, sucks up sun to fire second shot
FTL laser, but people see the laser coming at them
Can be seen in real time across the galaxy

Anakin's saber having "memory" despite anakin losing his saber many times according to AOTC

The contrived first order

Han's bulk freighter hangar opens itself for escape because someone realized in postfx that hyperdrives don't go through stuff safely, period.

The "refresh rate" letting ships past starkiller's sheild contradicts ROTJ and the challenge of getting a ship past a shield, when a run down "pile of garbage" falcon apparently can.

Poe is a dramatically better pilot than anyone in SW ever, despite being the non-force sensitive.

Poe get thrown from a ship without his jacket. And doesn't tear it. And gets off FO patrolled jakku easily.
>>
>>66918706
Impressionable young faggots get sucked in by memers because they can't form their own opinion. That's how we get threads like this.
>>
>>66918775
Supreme autism.
>>
>>66918775

literally isnt plot holes.
>>
>>66918706
Too popular, everyone hates the prequels, board's full of fat hipsters with mommy issues.
>>
>>66918706
Go and see the flick, son. It's a nothing but a glib facsimile of the old movies.
>>
>>66918706
Starkiller is a worse superweapon than anything the EU had.

The quest for Luke would have been enough of a thing for bringing in new characters. But they waste time resetting galaxy to ANH status so badly R2 has to magically turn on with the map part they need.

First order hunting finn and then the map was enough, le nazi speech ginger was downright embarrassing
>>
>>66918706
lol Starkiller is a reference to the original draft of Episode IV. Luke's original name was Luke Starkiller. Look it up
>>
>>66918775
The FTL laser thing almost had me walking out of this pile of MTV style directed garbage.

So fucking stupid - was a deal breaker.
>>
TFA is widely overrated and underrated. It's a 6.5 to 7 out of 10 movie.
>>
>>66918854
agreed 100%
>>66918950
agreed 100%
>>66919003
saw it 3 times, it absolutely brings more to the table than that
>>66919011
I agree it wasn't that great, but it wasn't supposed to be. If you saw the movie and said "Gee, I loved that superweapon!" then you literally missed the whole movie. The point was to establish the new characters. An original superweapon would have greatly distracted from this
>>66919033
I actually knew this from youtube i think
>>
>>66918706
Completely emotionless. It tried, but I felt nothing when Han died, and cared for the characters none.

We are thrown into a time not long after RotJ, but everything feels extremely undefined. We get that part of the empire still survived, but who had control over the universe? We got no sense of what order it was in.

Pacing was a major issue.

It was forgettable. I watched it three months ago, and those are the only complaints that come immediately to mind. The only compliments I can think of was "it looked nice". I remember the general plot, but can think of no special moments. Technically, it wasn't a "bad" movie. But it was bland and uninspired, unoriginal and safe.
>>
>>66918706
Oh no, it was well written and well executed. Not too many controversial or new interpretations, but it was just an underwhelming flick.

For some, the style of writing left too many unexplained answers that was overwhelming to not think about. Although they don't have any impact on the effect of the story, it does hurt lorefags.

Another thing was nostalgia. The new characters arcs and the old characters progressions were basically reset. The same scenes and themes were repeated. For old star wars fan, it seemed like the same things were at stake like in ANH. So, while it was exciting the first watch, it can be seen as not enjoyable through the second watch.

Another thing that was lacking was the character interactions. Characters had interesting backstories following ROTJ/prior to TFA, but they didn't mesh well together. Most characters had a personal struggle that mainly kept isolated for most of the film. Most scenes were action scenes that involved one saving the next. The relationships were either forced or just under-developed.

While it is hard to create a plot with new and old characters, TFA's weakness was not showing motivations or character background. They could basically all(new characters) be described as brave and courageous, and scared. There were basically no unique traits despite having unique backgrounds. Han and Chewie were probably the exception, but basically the mains were bland.

The only trait I liked from the characters, is the compassion, yet soldier's determination from Finn, but that was touched on briefly through the movie. There was certainly Rey's curiosity, but it seemed like that was thrown away as she seemed knowledgeable about everything in the rest of the film.
>>
>>66919142
>The point was to establish the new characters

And they were brought down by the garbage plotline. The movie would have decent potential without starkiller. Just move the rey rescue to Kyle's ship.

That it wasn't the main point of the movie isn't relevant. It was a major point in the galatic plotline, and a retarded one at that.

TFA is almost the worst SW movie because it completely undoes ROTJ.

New Republic: destroyed
Han&Leia : split up, then Han is dead by their emo faget kid
Empire: rebranded, simplier (lamer) ship designs, dramatically more powerful superweapon to reset GCW to underdog rebels&X-wings vs TIE fighter empire
Luke&New Jedi: fucked up by emo faget.

The ending of ROTJ & the SW saga was great. Major conflicts resolved and optimistic future. But now TFA is here as some hack's stapled on last page saying everything got fucked up the next day.
>>
>>66916644
The Jedi were by now a stagnant bureaucratic arm of the Republic. It makes sense that their mysticism is weaker and they'd rely more on scientific tests.

And while it is a retcon didn't they change it too midochlorines just being attracted to force sensitive people?
>>
>>66919768
>over 20 years
>the next day

Palpatine's Empire only lasted 23 years. Shit happens relatively fast in this galaxy. It makes you wonder how the Clone Wars actually worked, given that entire planets can be invaded and captured in a few weeks.
>>
I just re watched them and you're wrong
>>
>>66919768
Plus the villains are an utter disappointment.

>Kylo Ren
Loses to Rey both in the force TWICE (she mind reads him and takes Anakins lightsaber during a force struggle) and in a lightsaber duel.

>Hux
Not really a action villain, he seems competent to his advantage
>Phasma
Biggest disappointment, no fight just immediately captured, immediately betrays the Order like a coward and tossed in the fucking trash.
>>
>>66920045
You seem like a punchy retard who only cares about action scenes.

Yeah, you deserve the prequels. And anime too.
>>
>>66920091
Please mention what amazing slow scene is present in TFA, I'll wait.
>>
>>66920115
Rey's introduction.

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>66920223

rey's intro and the ending sequence

now's the part where you meme about "lol mark had no lines" despite every star wars film having no dialogue in its closing sequence and the appropriateness of rey finding luke given the plot of TFA

i'm just going to pretend you're trolling. no one can be this retarded
>>
>>66920223
Great now how does that invalidate the fact that the villains are incompetent garbage?
>>
>>66920115
>he stopped paying attention 15 minutes into the movie because the explosions stopped
>he probably started texting his dudebros about how there weren't enough lightsabers
>>
>>66920283
>>66920091
>>66920115
>complains about how Hux isn't an action villain
>complains about how Phasma have a fight scene
>gets criticized for being a punchy retard who needs action setpieces to like, relate to, or understand a character
>asks for a slow scene in TFA
>is given two
>backpedals and demands to know why he's retarded

Nah.
>>
>>66920283

how does hux and phasma not being "action" villains invalidate them as effective characters for what their roles were? (minor)
>>
>>66920251
Yeah they built character but they had no effect on the rest of the film. Rey was shown as curious, resourceful, and skilled in fighting. Their skills and personalities are not shown till the end of the film. Subjectively, it was weak for myself as the actions and skills have weaker impact of defining a character than interactions between characters and talking.
>>
>>66920365
Hux is fine since he's the new Tarkin, but you dumbasses don't see a problem in non threatening villains?
>>
>>66914178
>TPM
Character design 5/10
World building 5/10
Plot 3/10
>AOTC
Character design 7/10
World building 4/10
Plot 1/10
>ROTS
Character design 8/10
World building 7/10
Plot 6/10

For reference TFA is 8/10 7/10 6/10 as well
>>
>>66920668
Eh, Character design of TFA wasnt that great. DESU I really dont like BB8 at all. his design doesnt make sense.
>>
>>66918775
>Anakin's saber having "memory" despite anakin losing his saber many times according to AOTC

Those were mostly Luke's memories.
The Lightsaber itself didn't contain memories, The Force itself was flooding autism girl with blatantly obvious hints that she's Luke Skywalker's daughter.
>>
>>66920984
BB8 is solid.
R2 being able to fly is garbage.

Prequels are pure autism.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.