[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Le Grande Auteur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 13
File: Auteurs.jpg (188 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
Auteurs.jpg
188 KB, 920x920
Which of these magnificent auteurs that truly changed the way in which we view and dissect cinema is the greatest of all time?
>>
I don't know who any of these people are. Names?
>>
>>49097285
Rohmer
Bresson
Resnais
Bergman
Tarkovsky
Nolan
Kiarostami
Malick
Kurosawa
>>
Please tell me Nolan being on there is bait. He's incredibly mediocre and has no business being there alongside directors like Bresson, Rohmer, and Kiarostami.
>>
>>49097404

I only know Noland.
>>
>>49097503
>confirmed for never having seen The Prestige
>>
>>49097503
>Nolan
>Mediocre
Sure thing. You clearly just aren't capable of 'getting' his art. it takes work to understand the full extent of Nolan's brilliance. Inception for example; is a marvelous film with many subtleties that you probably didn't even notice.

Even for his mildly weaker efforts like TDKR; (not every auteur can strike gold every time) it's certainly flawed (a minor Nolan film if you will) but still streets ahead intellectually from most of the stuff that we see nowadays. Maybe you're just more of a Tarantino or a Godard guy, and there's no shame in that, it just means you haven't truly been exposed to groundbreaking avant garde patrician cinema yet like I have.
>>
>>49097503
Wow, ultra pleb detected.
>>
>>49097503
>I hate him because he's popular
Stop being such a contrarian child. Nolan is hailed as the greatest director of the 21st century for a reason. You know good and well that when Nolan's canonization as one of the all-time greats is an objective agreement among cinephiles in a decade that you will be singing the praises alongside everybody else.
>>
>Batman: Le Commencement
>Le Chevalier Noir
>L'Ascension du Chevalier Noir

These are the main masterpieces of modern kinography. The only film that comes close to their brilliance (and was directed by an auteur on that list) is Moissons du Ciell.

Right now, every patrician cinephile is awaiting for Interstellar (un film de Christopher Nolan).
>>
>>49097613
>thinking Nolan is better than Godard
>>
>>49097931
>Thinking Godard is good at all
He's nothing more than the French Tarantino.
There's a reason why the pretentious enjoy schlock from Godard, Tarantino, and Luhrmann
While the true patricians who understand the artform of cinema at its purest form enjoy the life changing masterworks by Tarkovsky, Nolan, and Bresson.
>>
>>49097931

Godard, that message-man, that amateur politician, doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Nolan. Godard is a solemn, humorless bore, much like Antonioni -- very entertaining for children and simpletons, but trash for any discerning and intelligent kinophile.
>>
Where is Kubrick on that list?
>>
>>49098443
He's been surpassed by Nolan. Hence why Kubrick isn't on the list and Nolan is.
>>
>>49098489
Name one great film by Christopher Nolan.
>>
Memento- 6.5/10
Insomnia- 6/10
Batman Begins- 5.5/10
The Prestige- 6.5/10
The Dark Knight- 6/10
Inception- 6/10
The Dark Knight Rises- 3/10
Nolan is a wholly mediocre director and you guys are fucking idiots.
>>
>>49098514
Memento, The Prestige, and Inception are at the pinnacle of innovative and renowned patrician cinema.
>>
>>49098514
All of them, besides TDKR

>inb4 this contrarian pleb faggot replies to me
>>
>>49098514

How about three?

>Batman: Le Commencement
>Le Chevalier Noir
>L'Ascension du Chevalier Noir
>>
>>49098559
You are disgustingly wrong you filthy little plebeian.
Memento- 10/10
Insomnia- 8.5/10
Batman Begins- 8.5/10
The Prestige- 10/10
The Dark Knight- 9.5/10
Inception- 10/10
The Dark Knight Rises- 7/10
>>
>>49098559
>m-muh opinion is fact

Clean yourself, plebeian
>>
>>49098559
>Guys
Excuse me? I identify as gender-fluid with a preference towards female pronouns. Not surprised that a bigot like yourself wouldn't be capable of comprehending the subtle brilliance of Nolan's intellectual stimulating cinema.
>>
>Plebs actually trying to claim that Nolan isn't one of canonical all time great
Is it opposite day or something?
>>
>>49098757
It's always opposite day on /tv/. This once great board has become the stomping ground of autistic contrarian shut-ins, and threads such as these are all that remain of the glory years.

Soar high, fellow patrician
>>
>>49098604
>>49098646
Memento is nothing beyond its storytelling gimmick, The Prestige is decent until its mega contrived third act and Inception is an utterly dull film that fails to live up to the promise of its concept. About 80% of the script is exposition.

Get better taste and don't you dare compare Nolan, a jacked up blockbuster babby, to masters like Tarkovsky or Bresson, you mongoloid.
>>
>>49098841
Please see >>49097613
>>
Where is PTA?
>>
>>49098882
There are no subtleties in Inception, Nolan is a destroyer of ambiguity. He doesn't care about creating art, he cares about pleasing critics and getting as many box office dollars as possible.

Kill yourself.
>>
I'm glad that /tv/ has finally gotten off of their autistic high horses and are able to admit that Nolan truly is one of the best directors in film history.
>>
File: 1410585662241.jpg (46 KB, 273x240) Image search: [Google]
1410585662241.jpg
46 KB, 273x240
>>49097138
all these people falling for baits, it's not even clever
>>
>>49098956
Nothing about my opening post is bait.
I'm sorry that you don't watch as many films as me, but you don't have to project your insecurities over being a plebeian onto me or the other patricians in this thread.
>>
>>49098841
>Get better taste and don't you dare compare Nolan, a jacked up blockbuster babby, to masters like Tarkovsky or Bresson, you mongoloid.

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on /tv/ in a long time. Nolan has an absolutely stellar track record, and, with his upcoming space epic, it will get more stellar still.
>>
>>49099038
You might even say... Interstellar.
>>
>>49099032
alright m8
>>
>>49099095
But it isn't bait you mindless mongoloid.
Also, please see >>49098042
>>
>>49098939
>Nolan is a destroyer of ambiguity

Hahaha top fucking kek. Yeah, the endings of Inception (especially Inception) and Memento are totally unambiguous, right? Inception has one of the greatest mindfuck endings in cinema.

Idiot.
>>
>>49097931
Thinking this isn't bait
>>
>>49099175
People here legitimately hate Godard and are sincere in thinking that Nolan is better.
>>
>>49099175
Please see >>49099134
It's absolutely adorable how your simple mind isn't capable of seeing films the same way us patricians do.
>>
Nice memes kid
>>
>>49099283
Which memes are you referring to?
>>
Nice group of artists OP.
My rankings of them would be:
1. Kiarostami
2. Rohmer
3. Resnais
4. Nolan
5. Bergman
6. Tarkovsky
7. Kurosawa
8. Malick
9. Bresson
The only two that I'm not a big fan of and consider incredibly overrated and pretentious would be Malick and Bresson. The rest of GOAT tier though.
>>
>>49099390
I agree on Malick, cinematography aside he is nothing special.

>look at me guys I spend 4 years making a movie so I can get enough grass shots in
>>
>>49098559
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE NOW!
>>
File: 1411935501310.png (342 KB, 594x391) Image search: [Google]
1411935501310.png
342 KB, 594x391
>>49099529

Have you ever had your own thought?
>>
What would you guys say is the best film by each of these masters?
For me; it'd be:
>Ma nuit chez Maud
>Au hasard Balthazar
>L'Année dernière à Marienbad
>Smultronstället
>Сталкер
>Le Prestige
>Ta'm-e gilass
>Moissons du Ciell
>夢
>>
>>49099139
>mindfuck
You love Fight Club and The Usual Suspects too, don't you?
>>
>>49099613
ebin thread op :^)
>>
>>49099390
Cameron > those hacks
>>
>>49099674
Well, yeah... What's wrong with them?

Don't tell me you don't get those films.
>>
>Nolanfags on /tv/.

This must be b8, right? Otherwise I'm fucking leaving, and you'll never get me back.
>>
>>49099851
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, pleb.
>>
>>49099696
This desperation

>>49099851
Great, fucking leave then. Shit opinions like yours are the reason that /tv/ is among the worst interest boards right now
>>
>>49099796
'round here we call people like you a pleb. Go back to IMDB message boards or wherever you cam from.
>>
Are you people seriously trying to compare Bresson and Nolan as if they were on the same level? I can't handle this. /tv/ is dead.
>>
>>49100018
Oh shut up and learn to enjoy movies you pretentious ass.
>>
>>49099851
Its just a meme shit poster mate
He's probably upset about the turn out he had for his last Nolan meme thread.
>>
>>49100090
Samefagging won't convince other anons that you're right, plebo
>>
>>49100018
It's baffling that there are people out there who are incapable of getting films as simple as Fight Club and The Usual Suspects.
>>
>>49100229
They're both remarkably simple films that trick plebs into thinking they're deep because there's a twist. There's not much to get.
>>
>>49100464
Couldn't be more wrong.
>>
>>49097404
I've heard of Bergman before but never seen anything by him.
Big fan of Nolan and Malick (Nolan a bit more-so). What are some good movies to start off with from all of these directors?
>>
>>49101009
Seventh Seal for Bergman
Stalker is a good Tarkovsky feature
>>
>>49101009
>Ma nuit chez Maud
>Au hasard Balthazar
>L'Année dernière à Marienbad
>Smultronstället
>Сталкер
>Le Prestige
>Ta'm-e gilass
>Moissons du Ciell
>夢
>>
File: 236809-batmanreturns_bluray__7_.jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
236809-batmanreturns_bluray__7_.jpg
170 KB, 1920x1080
>>49097138
Fun fact: Resnais was a capeshit fan, he wanted to adapt comics like Flash Gordon or Tintin, plus was a good friend with and worked on screenplays with Stan Lee.

http://www.slashfilm.com/trivia-french-visionary-alain-resnais-planned-two-films-marvels-stan-lee/

Also he was one the biggest comics collector in Europe and he co-created a comics club, the French /co/ of the 60's, later joined by people like Chris Marker or Jodo

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_d%27%C3%A9tudes_des_litt%C3%A9ratures_d%27expression_graphique
>>
Terrible entry level list
>>
>>49101081
Alejandro Jodorowsky is as well.
In fact, it might be more correct to call him a comic book writer/artist than a filmmaker since that is what he has spent most of his career on.
>>
>>49101108
Please enlighten me on which of these directors don't deserve to be considered one of the greatest of all time.
>>
>>49101132
Mmhm. Wasn't Nic Refn planning to adapt one of his comic series soon?
>>
>>49101274
Refn will be lucky to be allowed anywhere near a camera again after the pathetic failure that was OGF
>>
>>49101409
Only God Forgives was a flawed but competent film. Stop jumping on a bandwagon of plebs who expected it to be Drive 2.0 and were let down due to their own ignorance.
>>
>>49101158
You are barking up the wrong tree.

I notice that whenever a /tv/ faggot decides to call patrician directors "entry level", they are never able to back that up by giving examples of better ones. Probably because they are insecure about their own tastes, and cower at the mention of such masters like Tarkovsky, Malick and Nolan
>>
>>49101466
>Stop jumping on a bandwagon of plebs who expected it to be Drive 2.0 and were let down due to their own ignorance.

Y'know, not everyone who dislikes OGF was thinking it'd be Drive 2.0.

It's not a competent film. It's mediocre -- and that's on a good day.
>>
>>49101502
Was there not enough action and spoonfed dialog exposition for you?
>>
>>49101502
Get out, filthy serf. You and your opinion stinks of livestock dung
>>
>>49101525
No there was too much hamfisted symbolism for me
>>
>>49101591
>dull pleb pretending that he actually noticed the symbolism rather than being told it was there by an internet reviewer
>>
>>49101738
Thats a cute copy pasted line
I usually use that one too when I'm telling plebs they have shit taste for liking it
>>
>>49101836
Nah stinko, I made it up just for you, and I think it fits your pleb attitude perfectly
>>
So Abbas Kiarostami has only made 3 or 4 movies that people have actually seen?
>>
>Rohmer
Like watching paint dry
>Bresson
The epitome of pretension
>Resnais
Convoluted nonsensical nonsense that retards like to pretend is deep and complex
>Bergman
An innovative but thoroughly average director who is arguably the most overrated of all time. His films also have a lot of problems with tone consistency.
>Tarkovsky
I'll give you this one. One of the GOAT
>Nolan
This better be bait.
>Kiarostami
Muh gimmicky blend of naturalism and surrealism! MUH PRETENTIOUS POETRY!
>Malick
Pretty but empty visuals that are entirely devoid of any type of substance. He also can't write worth a damn which causes his films to be further ruined by corny melodramatic pseudo intellectual narration
>Kurosawa
Decent action movie director, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>49101409
>Jodorowsky's face
He knows the movie is shit
>>
>>49102090
I can respect this

However, without using buzzwords or blanket criticisms, I'd like if you explained what you find in particular about Nolan that is so irksome.
>>
>>49102090

“I am only interested in the views of two people: one is called Bresson and one called Bergman.” - Tarkovsky
>>
>>49102166
His films aren't visually pleasing to look at, he can't direct action worth a damn so it all looks clunky and hard to follow, his scripts are all incredibly convoluted and poorly structured, and all fall apart if you spend more than 10 minutes thinking about them, and he can't pace worth shit.
>>
>>49102000
No you didn't, pleb
I'm sure you're referring to the same internet critic I do too when I attack you low cinema iq apes
>>
>auteur theory

Retarded. It applies to any film maker unless you have ADHD or some shit that disables you from paying attention. For example, you can absolutely tell a Michael Bay film from just looking at explosions alone. Is Bay an auteur as well?
>>
>>49100464
The gall of this pleb
>>
File: andrei on bresson.jpg (53 KB, 612x466) Image search: [Google]
andrei on bresson.jpg
53 KB, 612x466
>>49102227
Robert haters getting blown the fuck out by based Andrei
>>
>>49098939
>art must be ambiguous

Le préténtious shité
>>
>>49097404
>No F. W. Murnau
>No Fritz Lang
>No Ingmar Bergman
>No Agnès Varda
>>
>>49102464
Wait, disregard Bergman ... he's on the list after all.
>>
>>49102464
>No Ingmar Bergman
Are you blind?
>>
Kubrick
>>
File: andrey.jpg (41 KB, 470x320) Image search: [Google]
andrey.jpg
41 KB, 470x320
>>49102301
>Is Bay an auteur as well?
Obviously, for the reasons you mentioned. Look up the term "vulgar auteurs"

>Directors whose work is commonly associated with vulgar auteurism include Paul W.S. Anderson,[1][2][6][7] Tony Scott,[3] John Hyams,[4] Isaac Florentine,[3] Neveldine & Taylor,[2][5] Nimrod Antal,[5] Michael Bay,[8] Jon M. Chu,[4] Russell Mulcahy,[9] Joe Carnahan,[10] and Justin Lin,[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgar_auteurism
>>
>>49102498
Are you? >>49102495
>>
>>49102090

Bergman had never been inconsistent. The philosophy presented in each of his movies is straight as razor.

>Kurosawa
>Decent action movie director, nothing more, nothing less.

Wow so you admit of not having watched Ikiru, Rashomon and Madadayo? Way to expose your ignorance,kid.
>>
>>49102594
You shouldn't have missed it in the first place you filthy invalid.
>>
>This thread
>Kurosawa, Rohmer, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Bresson, Resnais, Kiarostami, Malick, Nolan, the list goes on!

The hallmarks of the tasteless and the uninitiated. It's okay if you're just getting into the medium, but there are some (even here, on a so called ''film'' board) that actually believe they are cultured or have a snippet of taste because they like these directors, when in actuality they are nothing more than embarrassing cringeworthy copy/paste babbies with no opinion on the medium they claim to love whatsoever.

For a cinephile like myself, it is truly disgusting to watch, and the main reason I, and many others, steer far away from this pit of despair and depravity. You are everything wrong with this board.
>>
>>49102661
The Seventh Seal was marred by the comedy elements that were at odds and didn't feel in place alongside the rest of the film and the themes it tackled.
Persona's ending was tacked on bullshit and ruined an otherwise interesting film. The film was objectively hampered by the needless 'meta' elements that had no place in the film.

Wild Strawberries was also way too bland despite the really interesting themes being poorly tackled.
>Kurosawa
Just because he made a few films that weren't action movies, doesn't change the validity of my statement. His films are still nothing more than average.
>>
>>49102090
>An innovative but thoroughly average director who is arguably the most overrated of all time. His films also have a lot of problems with tone consistency.
Bergman himself admitted his dissatisfaction with several of his films, but this is the only time I've seen anyone claim that his films fall short where "tone [sic] consistency" is concerned.
>>
>>49102742
Are you actually trying to claim that Rohmer, Tarkovsky, Bresson, and Kiarostami are not great directors who deserve to be considered among the best?
>>
>>49102742

Nolan and Malick are bait, but the others are hallmarks of Movie-making history.

Just because they don't conform to your hipster taste, does not mean that they din't affect Cinema and the techniques and narratives developed with it.
>>
>>49097138
I thought you said "Grande" auteurs
>>
>>49102790
>The Seventh Seal was marred by the comedy elements that were at odds and didn't feel in place alongside the rest of the film and the themes it tackled.
Different Anon, but I must disagree: the humour was thoroughly in keeping. I think you don't understand the difference between tonal consistency and being tonally monochromatic.
>>
>>49102830
It's a bait post, Anon, and not a very good one. If he knew what he was doing, he'd have listed some plausible-sounding (but outrageously stupid) alternatives.
>>
File: RESNAIS-AND-SPIDER-MAN-300x350.png (230 KB, 300x350) Image search: [Google]
RESNAIS-AND-SPIDER-MAN-300x350.png
230 KB, 300x350
>>
File: hwahttehfak.jpg (20 KB, 365x344) Image search: [Google]
hwahttehfak.jpg
20 KB, 365x344
whoa whoa wat
>>
So when did Kiarostami become acceptable to list alongside Rohmer, Tarkovsky, Bresson, Kurosawa, Resnais, and Bergman?
Not that I have a problem with it since I love the guy, but it seems like a more recent occurrence to see people referring to him as one of the all time best.
>>
File: 1411687494433.jpg (7 KB, 247x250) Image search: [Google]
1411687494433.jpg
7 KB, 247x250
>>49102830
>>49102830
>Rohmer
>great directors who deserve to be considered among the best?
>>
>>49103066
>what is bait
>on 4snax
>>
>>49102227
"Tarkovsky is mai waifu." - Ingmar Bergman
>>
>>49097138
I only know nolen, who are those other losers.
>>
>>49102818

I think the [sic] goes after the word or phrase, not before it.
>>
>>49103333
It should be "tonal", not "tone".
>>
>>49102227
>When film is not a document, it is dream. That is why Tarkovsky is the greatest of them all. He moves with such naturalness in the room of dreams. He doesn't explain. What should he explain anyhow? He is a spectator, capable of staging his visions in the most unwieldy but, in a way, the most willing of media. All my life I have hammered on the doors of the rooms in which he moves so naturally. Only a few times have I managed to creep inside. Most of my conscious efforts have ended in embarrassing failure...

- Ingmar Bergman
>>
>>49103471
Eloquent
>>
>>49102301
>>49102541
Bay isn't an auteur for the sole of reason of having product placement.
>>
>>49103565
Here's another one of my favourites from Bergman:

>For me he's (Orson Welles)e just a hoax. It's empty. It's not interesting. It's dead. Citizen Kane, which I have a copy of — is all the critics' darling, always at the top of every poll taken, but I think it's a total bore. Above all, the performances are worthless. The amount of respect that movie's got is absolutely unbelievable.
>>
>>49103471

I love the bromance these two have.
>>
Bresson, Kiarostami, and Rohmer are objectively the three best filmmakers of all time.
>>
>>49103162
"luv u 2 bb xxxxxxxx" - Andrei Tarkovsky
>>
Wow.
>>
So.
>>
>>49097931
“I’ve never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual, and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a fucking bore. He’s made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin, Féminin, was shot here in Sweden. It was mind-numbingly boring.”- Ingmar Bergman

“His gifts as a director are enormous. I just can’t take him very seriously as a thinker — and that’s where we seem to differ, because he does. His message is what he cares about these days, and, like most movie messages, it could be written on the head of a pin.”- Orson Welles

“Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung-fu film.”- Werner Herzog
>>
>ctrl-f Eisenstein
>0 results
>>
>>49102893

>slavshit

Back to leterboxd bitch.
>>
The Mirror > Andrei Rublev > The Sacrifice > Nostalghia > Stalker > Solaris > Steamroller and Violin > Ivan's Childhood
>>
Are there any other notable Japanese directors?

Kurosawa seems to be the only one I ever see mentioned. I love his works and I've seen most of them but I never hear about any other Japanese director mentioned in movie buff circles other than possibly Miyazaki.
>>
>>49111528
Ozu is incredible, particularly Floating Weeds.
>>
>>49111528
Mikio Naruse, Hiroshi Shimizu, Seijun Suzuki, Yasujiro Ozu, Kenji Mizoguchi, Shohei Imamura, Kon Ichikawa, Masahiro Shinoda, Yoshishige Yoshida, Hirokazu Kore-eda, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Shunji Iwai, Toshiaki Toyoda, Yoji Yamada, Nagisa Oshima, Koji Wakamatsu, Kaneto Shinoda, Takeshi Kitano, Masaki Kobayashi, Hiroshi Teshigahara, Keisuke Kinoshita, Yasuzo Masumura
>>
>>49111686
Thank you.

>>49111763
Holy fuck, thank you.
>>
>>49111777
No problem, nice double trips
>>
>>49111528
Yasujuro Ozu is arguably more influential than Kurosawa.

Kenji Mizoguchi, Nagisa Oshima, and Shohei Imamura are also worth checking out.
>>
>>49111840
>Kenji Mizoguchi
I really want to love his movies because I love his style, but I just wish his scripts weren't a bunch of melodramatic nonsense.
>>
>>49102742
well stated. clear as vodka.
> i'd like two tickets to see some wicked shit on your big ass screen.
>>
File: trouble-with-tribbles.jpg (99 KB, 708x625) Image search: [Google]
trouble-with-tribbles.jpg
99 KB, 708x625
>>49111777
>>49111790
>>
>>49097138
Orson Welles

>>49097852
>Nolan is hailed as the greatest director of the 21st century for a reason.

That would be Zhangke Jia.
>>
>>49102742
legitimate question because i'm new on this board, what directors would you reccomend in place of these?
>>
>Auteur

is that somebody with autism?
>>
>>49107248
You post these quotes every time JLG comes up. Get your own opinions, you braindead cunt.
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.