[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think this movie is a great, but it is anything more than a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
File: checkurpriv.jpg (13 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
checkurpriv.jpg
13 KB, 214x317
I think this movie is a great, but it is anything more than a critique of a certain culture? Besides its message, none of its other film qualities seemed exemplary.
>>
>>48592880
*tips irony*
>>
>>48592880
It's critiquing hipsters who do everything ironically and thus make everyone miserable including themselves
>>
>>48592880

Lack of empathy is universal.
>>
>>48592880
i wasn't aware that this was your blog
>>
>>48593039
no doubt. but irony for the sake of irony with no underlying moral direction is maybe confined to only the most elite of social groups.
>>
>>48593046

pretty much this

>Besides its message

And what, pray tell, was the "message," OP?
>>
>>48593217
that maybe a self-important, desensitize life is the result of never totally growing up.
>>
yes, it's a lot more interesting than what you got out of it
>>
sure is hard being rich
>>
>>48593410
were the actors, dialogue, character, cinematography, script, sets etc. above-average?
>>
>>48593419
I don't think the movie is suggesting that the main character should be felt sorry for.
>>
>>48592880

The thing is, its not really a critique of hipsters. Portlandia was a critique of hipsters. This was some weird character study of a sociopath rich kid who just happened to be a hipster. If you cut out all of the "deep" scenes where hes joking about his dad dying, or something like that, its just a movie about a bunch of unfunny hipsters running around drinking about being assholes.
>>
>>48593443

Not that anon, but how all of those elements came together were above average yes, thus making it a good movie.
>>
>>48593498
I never said it's about hipsters. I really think it's about people with a ton of time on their hands and no responsibility.
>>
>>48593502
well i agree with that. I like it a lot.
>>
>>48593465
That's where all his problems stem from, his wealth, and the idleness it allows. How he abuses it. So it's hard to take a deeper meaning to it. Other than a bored sociopath.
>>
>Hipsters

sigh . . .

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.
>>
>>48593578
the reason i like is that i like, cant totally pin you down. you're mysterious anon.
>>
>>48593570
i think the deeper meaning could be.. are we rapidly descending into a prophesied dystopia with rampant desensitization?
>>
File: 1408620246300.jpg (34 KB, 304x288) Image search: [Google]
1408620246300.jpg
34 KB, 304x288
tfw this movie made me like myself and my friends less
>>
>>48593578
I'm having a strange de ja vu here... is this pasta?
>>
>>48593698
yeah
>>
>>48593635
>2.7 metres square with 1.4m high walls. The ‘Universe’ was surrounded by 16 tunnels leading to food, water and burrows. No predators, no scarcity, the mice would have to be blind to not see the utopia around them. At least it began as Utopia. Four breeding pairs of mice were introduced into Universe 1. After 104 days they adjusted to the new world and the population began to grow, doubling every 55 days. By day 315 the population reached 620. Then is stopped. The population grew much more slowly as the mice came against the limit of space, their only limiting frontier.

>Society broke. Young were expelled before they had been properly weaned and were arbitrarily attacked by excessive aggressive male mice. Females became more aggressive, non-dominant males became passive, not retaliating to attacks. The last healthy birth came on the 600th day. Then there were no new mice. Then there were none.

>After day 600, the male mice just stopped defending their territory, listless mice congregated in the centres of the Universe. These gangs would burst into pointless and sporadic violence. Females stopped reproducing and even started attacking their own young. Mortality rose phenomenally. Roaming mice either attacked or attempted to mount others, irrespective of relation or gender, cannibalism and other acts of depravity consumed them. These were the feral ones. Then there were the ‘beautiful ones.’

>The ‘beautiful ones’ withdrew themselves ever so quietly, removing themselves from the sick society. Solitary pursuits began to define them; eating, drinking and grooming among others. No scars on their back or hairs out-of-place, these mice behaved like a separate race. They saw the world through their narrow scopes, as they tossed, turned and tried to cope.

http://www.mostlyodd.com/death-by-utopia/
>>
>>48593635
Maybe if I had some more fucking money I could test this thesis.
>>
>>48593713
im surprised it took the breeding mice 100 days to settle in.
>>
>>48593713
this is fucking great. reading through it now.
>>
File: 419834758972354.gif (969 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
419834758972354.gif
969 KB, 500x268
>tfw delusional
>>
What if it was just Tim and Eric and Friends acting like a couple of goofs and trying to pass it off as a indie art movie with some deep or moral critical message
>>
>>48596064
I don't think that's the case, but their brand of anti-humor made tim a really interesting casting choice
>>
One of my fav movies
>>
the movie echoes some of the best absurdist theatre from the mid 20th century. It is an inferior version of course, but a lot of the dialouge and interactions echo beckett, albee, pinter. Cinematography was nice too
>>
So what's the explanation? I didnt get it when I watched it.
>>
>>48596409
time to look that up, i was wondering what the precedent was
>>
>>48593578
one of the best posts I've seen on /tv/
>>
>>48596064
Tim and Eric didn't make this movie, they only acted in it
>>
>>48596643
head on over to /mu/ pal with the other undefinable hipsters
>>
>>48593578
I really enjoyed reading this.
You've summed up all of my mixed up sentiments.
>>
>>48596064
Then it was an accidental masterpiece. But yeah they didn't write or direct it, just act.
>>
File: smirking flamboyant wrestler.png (61 KB, 232x245) Image search: [Google]
smirking flamboyant wrestler.png
61 KB, 232x245
>>48596707
>>48596643
welcome to 2011 guys
>>
I could only get 3 minutes in before I turned it off. I'm thoroughly convinced Tim Hidecker gives the world's best blowjobs.
>>
I'll forgive this movie because of two scenes:

1. 'mind if we take a dip' scene
2. black bar scene (if he really got permission and just walked in there then he has balls of steel)
>>
>>48596774
>turning a movie off after three minutes
ultimate pleb
>>
>>48596786
He did, I'm pretty sure he talks about it that he was already pretty hammered before they shot that and it was pretty much all off the cuff improv.
>>
>>48593578
you idiot. hipsters are all these people pushing 30 that want to pretend they are kids forever because they know their lives suck and liked living off their parents way too much

basically, what emo and scene kids grew up to be

and anyone who gets offended by the term
>>
>>48596788
I'm not gonna subject myself to 90 minutes of Tim Hidecker playing the same role he always does. I gave him a chance to impress me and he failed.
>>
>>48596510
if you liked the kind of interactions and atmosphere in the movie, just google Theatre of the Absurd. the plays are generally short and produce the same atmosphere. id recommend the birthday party by harold pinter, whos afraid of virginia woolfe by edward albee, buried child by sam shepard
>>
>>48596807
holy shit man. I've seen a lot of people complain about how 'diversity' is one sided and make fun of black people but I've never seen someone go into fucking sketchtown in new york and say that to their faces

> he calls them niggas
> he makes fun of being from 'the hood'
> he tells them the places could use some diversity

honestly don't know how he didn't get beat the fuck up
>>
>>48592880
Pretentious, boring, shit-filled mumblecore.
>>
>>48596855
three minutes is not a fucking chance
giving up on a movie after three minutes is fucking stupid, if you watch 30 minutes of a movie and hate it then I'll accept it. Tim Heidecker's acting in The Comedy is nothing like how he usually acts, and if you hadn't been a moron and watched the movie for a bit you'd know that
>>
>>48596867
they didn't really know what to say to him because he was so obviously out of touch and self-absorbed.
>>
>>48596855
Kill yourself.
>>
>>48593578
Maybe a thread about a film that spends it's 90 or so minute run time breaking down a fully articulated view of the hipster subculture wasn't the best place to post this pasta.
>>
>>48593578
inb4 150 replies
>>
>>48596907
>This guy doesn't like what I like. Let's call him names. That'll show him.

You don't need to watch a third of the movie to give it a chance. It's beyond retarded to forcefeed yourself something you don't like.
>>
>>48596996
I sat through Cosmopolis in an empty theatre
>>
>>48593578
wow
>>
>>48593578
i can feel the smug in this words.
>>
>>48596927
I think this is exactly it. he didn't get scared (or at least hid it as best as he could) and people were just puzzled by it. if he had shown just the slightest doubt or fear he would have died that night.
>>
>>48597101
why?
that movie was tedious
>>
>>48597101
I once sat through the entirety of Enter the Void. All bird's eye panning shot past people fucking and zooming on brightly colored object 9 hours of it. I wish I could have that time back.
>>
>>48593578
>sigh . . .
I knew this was going to be good right away, and anon didn't disappoint
>>
>>48597311
Well I didn't know that at the time, Eastern Promises is one of my favourite films.

This though, was fucking garbage.
>>
>>48597371
> 9 hours

wat
>>
>>48597270
>he would died that night
if you think those guys hanging out at a bar were likely to kill someone then you gotta check your privilege dog.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.