[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think the thing that's really stopping me from liking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 7
File: the face of evil.jpg (6 KB, 175x288) Image search: [Google]
the face of evil.jpg
6 KB, 175x288
I think the thing that's really stopping me from liking VII is this miserable faggot.

>Actor miscast
>Cynical character design
>With the helmet on his tiny twink body he looks like a bobble head
>without the helmet he looks like the mug shot of the 14 year old who shot up his school because he couldn't talk to girls
>edgelord
>motivated because his parents just don't get him
>fangirl for his grandpa rather then motivated purely in the pursuit of his own power

Seriously any of the autists on here could probably write and design a better character.
He is worse than Shadow the Hedgehog.
>>
I liked that he's not your usual big bad Sith rehash. It felt refreshing in a movie that was almost entirely a rehash of the OT.

Also he's way more interesting and has a better arch potential than Mary Rey
>>
>>64427195
Rey has way more potential. Seriously this guy is on par with any product of a 14 yo "original" fan fic character.
>>
>>64427155
>>without the helmet he looks like the mug shot of the 14 year old who shot up his school because he couldn't talk to girls
>>edgelord
literally exactly the point

>be a celebrity kid
>dad is han solo
>mom is princess leia
>going to luke sky walker's school for the gifted
>expected to be a brilliant jedi that saves the galaxy
>reach puberty
>easily embarrassed by parents and teacher
>find out granddad was a badass, wore a cool mask and didn't give a shit about anybody
how do you think it will turn out
>>
>>64427195
>>64427195

This. It's an interesting and refreshing conflict that's new to a series where most everything is recycled.
>>
Sounds like you don't like him because he reminds you of yourself.
>>
>>64427234
>Rey has way more potential
You can't be serious.
>>
>>64427241
Also I'm sure that was unintended but I thought Ren trying so hard to be Vader and failing is a perfect parallel for TFA trying very hard to be ANH and failing
>>
>>64427321

ANH wasn't great.
>>
I think he was the most interesting character in the whole film.
>>
The underage in the responses is disgusting.
>>
>>64427155
Should have kept his mask on until facing Solo, it would have had more weight
>>
Having a literal edgelord teenager for an antagonist with very little self confidence makes him more entertaining and unique. It's not like all villains have to be emotionless badasses anyways. Kylo was probably the most original part of the entire movie.
>>
>>64427195
>muh epin Mary Sue Rey mee-mee
>>
>>64427444
>The underage in the OP is disgusting.

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>64427155
That's the point. He's a little beta faggot, weak in the force. He's arrogant and thinks too highly of himself, so it's obvious that when he was training to be a Jedi he got pissed off when his special snowflake self wasn't the best with no work, so he turned to the dark side to learn some cool tricks. He did but he's still a weakling.
>>
>>64427155
>tiny twink body

but I swear he's like 6'1
>>
>>64427689
This. It even shows in his lightsaber. He sucks so hard at being a Jedi that his lightsaber's blade isn't smooth like everyone else's and it's rough from the edges. He's a guy who desperately wants to be like Darth Vader but he lacks the discipline. You don't turn to darkside by wanting to turn to it, you do it by accident.
>>
>>64427735
He's 6 foot 3.
>>
>>64427155
>I dont like a chacracter that is supposed to be not likeable
>boohoo bad writing

When will this meme end?
>>
he was actually pretty damn awesome for like the first 15 minutes. and then in a matter of like 2 scenes they've turned him into a teen angst faggot who can't even control himself without going into a fit of rage. which would have maybe been okay if there was character development.. but nah, let's have him go from the greatest villain yet to anakin...
>>
>>64427608

>wow guys, amazing movie, 10/10, it just felt like star wars
>but it was just a rehash and didn't really feel like star wars because of the edgelord villain and the stupid marvel-tier pace, amongst other stuff
>lol but the edgelord actually makes it different and unique
>so it makes it not feel like star wars
>SHUT UP CONTRARIAN SHIT
>>
>>64427882
well strawman'd
>>
>>64427861
He was literally a cheap Vader knock off at first, the eventual reveal that he's meant to be a poor man's Vader was what made him feel unique
>>
>>64427882

More flawless logic:

>hey guys mr plinkett is so right why did Anakin kill those kids the prequels suck
>i just watched TFA and it felt just as good as the OT again
>but the villain in TFA actually killed a bunch of kids as well, his classmates to be more precise, and he didn't even have a reason for it apparently
>SHUT UP CONTRARIAN SHIT IT WILL BE EXPLAINED IN UPCOMING MOVIES
>>
>>64427921
good argument
>>
>>64427950
you dont know what you are talking about, prequelfag
>>
>>64427155
Phasma should have been the first villain and Kylo should have been built up for the second movie ending the trilogy with Snoke in the last.
And Snoke should be an Ultron type villain, too strong to fight head on
>>
But anon he fought for his country and shit
>>
>>64427922
Then don't make him do crazy shit right off the bat. This movie was just extremely contradictory and inconsistent
>>
Just a reminder, Adam Driver was the only actor in the new cast that didn't even go to an audition, JJ hand picked him exactly

Boyega went to 8 auditions before he got the role, to put into perspective
>>
>>64428013
Fucking Captain America fought Ultron. In a fist fight, no less. I thought Steve was going to get rekt and he did fine.
>>
>>64428118
Doesn't really surprise me. Driver was the best actor in the film.
>>
>>64428138
in the movie yes, but that ultron was a piece of shit
>>
He works as a side character, but not the main villain.
He's not scary, he's not intimidating.
He doesn't pose a threat to any of the protagonists really. No one seems to take him seriously. And that's fine, for a side villain. But if he's supposed to be the main source of conflict, it doesn't work.
>>
I hate this movie. It has no originality! It's just like A New Hope. And Kylo Ren was shit! I didn't like the way we saw his face so soon. Why can't he be more like Vader in A New Hope?
>>
>>64428167
He is not the main villain. Snoke is.
>>
>>64427603
Agreed. The "do you think I'm a monster under the mask" should not have been a reveal, it would have given the audience longer to ponder what he looked like, and given more release when we find out he's just some snotty kid mad at his dad.
>>
I just dont understand how in the hell Finn and Rey beat him on a lightsaber fight.

I mean the guy trained with Luke , went on to kill his peers but then Finn holds his own and Rey kicks his ass.

Gimme a fucking break , how am i supposed to feel that the guy is a menace to anybody.
>>
>>64428167
>Didn`t understand the point of the character.

Go watch the movie again.
>>
>>64428245

The force works in mysterious ways, anon
>>
>>64428224
No, Snoke is the Emperor analog. He might indirectly cause bad things to happen, but you can't call someone who'll most likely have 10 minutes of collective screentime over the three movies the main villain.
>>
>>64428245
He got shot with Chewie's bow. That shit killed every stormtrooper in one hit.
>>
>>64428245
Watch ANH pay atention to obi`s teaching than come back.(even what maz says to rey can help you)

It will help you to understand the movie
>>
>>64428259
Explain the point of the character then.
I mean, I get that we're not supposed to be intimidated by him. I'm saying someone no one takes seriously and doesn't pose a threat doesn't work as the main villain.
>>
>>64428296
Emperor was the main villain of the original trilogy. Not Darth Vader. Just because Vader was more iconic, doesn't make him the main villain.
>>
>>64428245
He's obviously toying with Finn and when Finn gets in a lucky hit he gets his wrecked in a matter of seconds

Rey is simply the most perfect being in Star Wars universe
>>
>>64428321
Vader wasnt even really a villain
He was missled all along until he redeemed himself in the end
>>
>>64428320
He's a brat that tries to be like Darth Vader but ultimately fails at it.
>>
File: adam.jpg (683 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
adam.jpg
683 KB, 1920x1080
>>64427155
totally agree
>>
>>64428318
The entire OT establishes that just being talented is not enough and that you need rigorous training in order to effectively use the Force.

Then Rey comes along and takes a big steamy dump all over that idea
>>
>>64428354
I know.
I'm saying, that doesn't work as a main villain because he's not threatening.
>>
as usual /tv/ is wrong

the actor is perfect

its the arbitrary double nazis and the arbitrary double death star that is garbage

kylo is perfect, and demonstrates exactly what the dark side is, emo whining given authority
>>
>>64428379
What's a character arc?
>>
>>64427640
She's so good at everything to the point where nothing she does is interesting because of how there's no risk

Kylo at least has a lot of potential for character progression
>>
>>64428320
He`s not the main villain
he is just like vader in anh
>he give orders with a pointing finger and screaming
>When someone says something bad about something he likes he just force choke him

Vader in ANH is not the main villain it`s tarkin
>Tarkin order the death star to explode a plenet just for interrogation.
>tarkin is the king of the castle vader is just the black knight

In ESP Vader is the main villain.
>>
>>64427155
So are people really this stupid that they just didn't get the point of the character?

No, he wasn't some cold, unstoppable badass. He's not meant to be.
>>
>>64428304

Then they should have showed him weakened during the fight , struggling because of the wound or something , i mean during the fight with Finn , Kylo goes as far as actually pound himself in the stomach and shows no reaction, the bowcaster hit did nothing,

Then Rey goes and bitchslaps him the first time she uses a lightsaber.

I mean... thats retarded even if you go with the fantheory that she trained under Luke too and got memory wiped or w/e the fuck the ppl are saying now to defend this monstrosity.
>>
>>64427155
The interesting thing is that on that picture his face does kind of reminds of harrison ford. I mean the nose and the frowning look. Never noticed it before.
>>
>>64428474
he hits himself to dull the pain
>>
>>64428245
Why does everyone say Finn beat Kylo?
Have we watched the same movie?

Kylo was basically playing with him, probably couldn't wait for a lightsaber duel at last. Finn was constantly backing up trying to defend and only when Finn managed to hit Kylo, then Kylo stopped playing and fucked up Finn good.
Versus Rey he didn't even want to kill her, he tried to persuade her to the dark side. Although that shot where Rey physically overpowers Kylo was unnecessary, even though Kyloe was wrecked before.

And clearly not even Kylo has some special lightsaber fighting skills, slicing trees and hitting rocks all around him with no control
>>
>>64428379
holy fuck. people are really that retarded?

Please, never write a screenplay
>>
>>64428339
Yah it might be that he is just toying with Finn , im most concerned about how Rey just wins a fight after having never used a lightsaber before.

Or how can she forcepull the inert lightsaber over him when both were trying.

Fuck Rey , fuck having to make the woman lead perfect in every single way to avoid backlash , i just wanted a good movie.
>>
TFA just shows once again that /tv/ doesn't understand movies at all.
>>
>>64428377
You don`t need a rigorous training at all
>luke spends like 2 days with obi an than like a week with yoda just learning to focus to the force(Luke needs 2 teachers to teach the same thing to him)
>Rey already had a clean mind(what helped her to learn to use the force quickly)
>>
>>64428474
>Kylo goes as far as actually pound himself in the stomach and shows no reaction, the bowcaster hit did nothing,

It did do something because he's bleeding and pounds his side twice during the fight. It's obvious that he's badly hurt and it's affecting his fighting. Kylo's biggest weakness is how unsure he is about his own skills, you can see this when he's pushing sabers with Rey and says that he can train her. He's afraid that he might lose. Rey is more confident and it's why she "wins" the fight.
>>
>>64428474
holy shit some of you here are literal retards
>>
>>64427155
Youre an actual idiot
>>
>>64428533

I said that Finn held his own , but that might be overselling him , and Kylo might have just been toying with him , i can buy that.

But the whole scene with Rey , from her overpowering him on the forcepush for the lightsaber to the final struggle , everything was terribad.
>>
>>64427354
Fuck you it's the best star wars movie
>>
Im starting to believe that the 'rey is such a mary sue ohmahgahd' is exactly the same as the 'why you white bois mad about a black stormtrooper'

in other words, its studio marketing, to stir up emotion, and this strategy works well on 4chan

its working right now, keeping this completely average movie fresh in your mind
>>
>>64428616
That's not how you spell ESB
>>
>>64428573
And after 2 days with Obi Wan and like a week with Yoda (two of the most powerful Force users in the universe) he still isn't close to being good with the Force, gets his shit pushed in and almost ruins the entire quest by getting himself killed only to be saved by Leia.

Meanwhile Rey hears some legends about the Force, had them confirmed by Han and had Maz explain the general nature of it in 30 seconds. She's a fully capable Force user after that and saves the day using it
>>
>>64427155

>without the helmet he looks like the mug shot of the 14 year old who shot up his school because he couldn't talk to girls

I think that might be literally, uh, the point
>>
Why did he keep hitting his wound in the lightsaber scene? What did he mean by that?
>>
>>64428692
Drawing the audience's attention to his wound. It didn't work.
>>
>>64428692
i would explain it to you if i didnt think you where trolling
>>
>>64427735
6"5
>>
>>64428692
tell me what you think it meant
>>
>>64428692
He wasn't hitting his wound, he was hitting his dick. He couldn't wait to start raping Rey.
>>
>>64428616
In the star wars series only ESB is a good movie
>It`s pacing,characters,acting is realy good

ANH and RotJ are okay movies just like TFA just okay

The preequels are shit
>robotic acting,terrible directing and shit story
>>
>>64428655
Empire Strikes Back has some really cheesy dialogue that makes it seem like a cartoon show. I also feel like its a little too long and the whole segment where Han and Leia are hiding inside the worm on the asteroid was fairly pointless.
>>
>>64428721
Please explain

>>64428721
I'm genuinely baffled
Perhaps this >>64428716 ?
>>
>>64428245
Was also already injured when he faught Rey from the crossbow type gun after he killed Han Solo. It showed before the fight there was blood dripping from his leg in the snow.
>>
>>64428670
But the force isn`t some power level dragon ball z bullshit

It was that hard to train luke because he was reckless,impacient and stuff like that(and only understand what jedi means at the end of RotJ)

The training on luke was just to teach him pacience and to calm his heart and lesten to the force.
>>
>>64428747
A New Hope's pacing, and dialogue are better than Empire Strikes Back. It's acting and characters are essentially identical, except the first not having Lando or Yoda.
>>
>>64428474
You really need to watch the scene again.
>>
>>64428828
short version: he was psyching himself up and dulling the pain
>>
>>64428692
He was psyching himself up to fight and ignore his wound/intimidate his opponent but at the same time having a fucking tantrum fit because he's a spoilt brat who thinks nothing should be able to touch him because he's turned to the dark side.
Worse part is he KNOWS he's being played but doesn't care. He thinks he'll be able to take out his master eventually like all arrogant sith assume.

He's going to be fucking pissed when he recovers. It will make him stronger and more motivated but further destabilise him, knowing he lost to a mere newbie.
(The frustration at his own weakness probably drove him to turn to the dark side and kill Luke's other apprentices who probably showed more patience and promise than he did.)

I kind of like the character. He's Anakin done right. A frail celebrity child brat who's way in over his head.
>>
>>64428844
Rey doesn't have a clear mind either, she was still hung up about her family ditching her on Jakku and didn't want anything to do with Luke's lightsaber at first. But then she just figures everything out with 0 training because she's just that awesome
>>
>>64428925
>>64428928
Thanks guys, it's my first Star Wars film, that's probably the reason why I didn't get it.
>>
>>64428949
She was way more mature than ANH luke
>>
>>64428925
>shit man I just twisted my ankle, let's hop up and down on it that'll dull my pain
>goddamn that guy just shanked me in the stomach, I'll just wiggle the knife around a bit, that'll make it stop hurting
>oh man I just got shot in the arm, let me just take a second to beat on it with my other arm so I'll feel better

He's showing off, making a point that despite taking a bowcaster bolt center mass he doesn't give a damn and is pretty much toying with Finn. It makes the fact that Rey wins an even more contrived victory after she already wins at everything else.
>>
>>64429077
>being an idiot
it does dull the pain because it lessens the sensitivity in the area and releases stuff in your body that makes you fight thru it
>>
>>64429077
>and is pretty much toying with Finn
This is true. He yells "TRAITOR" before the fight and he's trying to teach him a lesson. Then he gets hit by Finn and instantly ends the fight there.
>>
Rey is too perfect and boring
At least Kylo is not, that's why I liked his character.
People are talking more about him than any other character in this movie...
>>
File: star-wars-the-force-awakens.jpg (70 KB, 475x600) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-the-force-awakens.jpg
70 KB, 475x600
Rey has melee fighting under her belt already which helps her take on the very badly wounded Kylo.
>>
>>64429222
She is too perfect but wasn`t boring at all
>>
File: 218274-112414-jacen-solo.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
218274-112414-jacen-solo.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
It's even worse once you look at the alternative.
>>
>>64429362
Nothing that Rey does in the actual movie is very interesting. She just goes around kicking ass and being awesome at everything. The only interesting thing about her is the past
>>
>>64428556
Boy, you guys are dense. She was not winning the duel until she used the "force". She was losing the entire time but she was able to tap into the force and is stronger with it then Kylo Ren as shown by her being able to draw Luke's light saber to her. She may have more focus or perhaps Kylo isn't strong enough in the dark side force yet.

Remember the force has a will of its own. Also Ray had fighting skills from being a scavenger. Early in the movie it shows that she beat up to men with her "stick" who were trying to steal BB8.
>>
I think with Rey, you have to remember that there's two sort of Jedi.
Ones who are naturally very strong and destined like Anakin and Luke.
And ones that only become powerful after years of training and exposure.

Kylo of course hates this after he realises. He feels cheated that he's definitely not natural force user and this makes him vulnerable, especially since he ignores his obviously very incomplete training and gives into his emotions instead of using them to focus his power.
His will is weak which is evident with his attempts at mind control. Vader would have gotten the Poe to talk instantly. With Kylo it takes much longer.
>>
>>64429414
Looks too generic.
>>
>>64429463
>beats up two unarmed buffoons with her staff, a weighted weapon
>somehow this translates into being more capable with a weightless, blade-like weapon than a trained user who has likely performed lightsaber duels before

Still never ceases to amaze me how much people will rationalize Rey's godmode throughout the movie. Even if every victory or talent she has could be backed with a valid explanation, it's still awful writing to have a single character so blatantly overpowered when compared to the rest of the Star Wars universe. And even IF Rey is the galaxy's greatest prodigy at everything for reasons, then it's still bad writing and poor character creation if nothing proves an obstacle to the protagonist. Rey could've been given time to grow as a character and develop her powers gradually, but at this point she's irredeemable no matter what the writers do.
>>
>>64427735
6"7
>>
>>64429661
exactly
>>
>>64429661
The thing is "godmode" immunity doesn't just stop at force users. Clearly any 'destined' character can do the unlikely and impossible until their time has run its course.

Look at Han Solo and Obi Wan Kenobi.
They get away with tons of shit constantly. Han Solo is able to outduel greedo at point blank range, and Obi Wan is a lucky piece of shit, avoiding Vader and Palpatine for years, until he has to pass the torch to Luke.

The series has a lot of bullshit in it when you think about it. (Doesn't stop me from loving it any less)
>>
>>64429852
Han just shoots an unsuspecting Greedo (fuck off with that edit bullshit) and Obi Wan is hiding in the asshole of the galaxy for 20 years. Doesn't even begin to compare to the amount of bullshit Rey gets away with
>>
>>64429951

Wait whats the Han-Greedo argument again? It the edit have Greedo shoot first and miss or something?
>>
>>64429852
I take less of an issue with the sort of 1-in-a-million coincidences that let the good guys get away with all sorts of crap than I do when it's just one guy carrying the whole team. In the OT Luke, R2, Leia, Han and company were all at least good at one thing or another. Individually they might not be much - R2 can't do dick in combat, but he saves everyone from being trash compacted and hides the Death Star plans from everyone. Han is a good shot with a pistol, has a dope ship, and is a pretty smooth talker. Leia has connections with the Rebellion and royal status to aid her, and Luke is a top-notch pilot who learns to use the force. Individually they wouldn't stand a chance, but together they're a force to be reckoned with. But TFA just took all the good traits of the team and just rolled them all into Rey without a second thought, so now she's the one pulling asses out of the fire left and right instead of the entire team looking out for each other.

I don't mind if your character is the best at one thing, or has some insane luck every once in a while - but when your character is the best at EVERYTHING and has luck on their side EVERY time, I'm going to hate the story you're telling no matter what it is.
>>
>>64430083
Originally, Han just shoots Greedo who doesn't suspect anything.

The first edit had Greedo shoot first, miss badly from point blank range and then Han shoot him

The final edit cut out a few frames and it has them shooting at the same time with Greedo missing and Han killing him
>>
>>64430085
I can think the only reason they would make Rey a jack of all trades, is if they are planning to make a Jedi trio out of her, Finn and Poe.

Think of all the shit Obi Wan and Anakin could do in episodes 1-3. Star Wars is just full of bullshit.
>>
>>64430175
She's gonna become a villain senpaitachi.
>>
>>64430284
What you would expect them to pull some shit in episode VIII where she turns to the dark side and Kylo sees the error of his ways and teams up with Poe and Finn to try to turn her back. Leading them all to have to deal with Snoke and his forces in episode IX?
>>
If and only if Rey's past is justifiable to make her that perfect and awesome I would think of forgiving JJ in this poor characterization of Rey.

We just have to wait for the next movie.
>>
>>64430358
exactly this
>>
>>64428245

They made a point of showing that he was badly injured before the fight. Hitting his side may have been an attempt to distract himself from that pain or psyche himself up, but he was really hurt.
>>
>>64428404
>its the arbitrary double nazis and the arbitrary double death star that is garbage

This. There should have been no First Order. In the OT there was the Evil Empire and the good guys were the rag-tag group of mercenaries. Clearly we should have been shown in this trilogy a powerful and flourishing republic, and Snoke and K-Ren should have been working in the dark on the fringes, working to corrupt the new Jedis and undermine the Republic through stealth. The main plotline for this film was GARBAGE. Kylo Ren was the only interesting part of the film.
>>
>>64430410
If that is the case then its somewhat predictable.
(But I'd still be very excited to watch it since that has plenty of potential to be some good fun to watch play out)
>>
>>64429661

Look, Rey like Luke is literally "Hero's Journey/Monomyth" shit, just like Jesus Christ in the New Testament. Lucas wove in Chosen One Folk Hero shit on purpose. Le Mary Sue muh fanfic term is retarded and ignores an archetype that is literally thousands of years old. Of course she's godmode.
>>
>>64430537
like, imagine instead of cynically re-hasing the Imperial aesthetic they instead went for a more occultic view of the Dark Side. Rather than imperial tyranny you have the evil master and apprentice worshipping in some sith temple. Would have been way more interesting than the shit we saw.
>>
>>64430537
Thing is though, Palpatines is the brains behind the Empire and Vader was the brawn that kept them all in line.
Without their leadership i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Empire broke ranks, fled and fought each other, until only one stable faction remained to rebuild.
30 years is just barely enough time for all that to happen.
>>
File: d52.jpg (16 KB, 231x244) Image search: [Google]
d52.jpg
16 KB, 231x244
>>64430600
>Rey like Luke is literally "Hero's Journey/Monomyth" shit, just like Jesus Christ in the New Testament.
>>
>>64428747
ANH is nowhere near as bad as ROTJ and can contend with ESB
>>
>>64428245
>I mean the guy trained with Luke , went on to kill his peers

It never says this in the movie. It's like you faggots never watched it
>>
>>64427241
Vader had the exact same conflict in ROTJ. Do TFA fags even watch the original films?
>>
>>64430625
There can only be on reason. Jew Jew Abrams is obsessed with the Nazis. He HAS to present the Dark Side in imperial clothes again, and the evil side as "authoritarians", and the good guys as a ragtag group of misfits, hippies undermining authority. What we should have seen is the good guys in authority and the bad guys working to undermine the civil order. But Jews can't present the bad guys as undermining civil order because that would expose Jews. Instead, the Jewish imagination always represents White Authoritarianism, White Civil Order as the evil.
>>
>>64428112

you don't know what you want in a movie, and also you are not as smart as you think

you probably already know you're not an intelligent person, but it's good to admit it
>>
>>64430600
As I recall, most heroes from all kinds of myth have some sort of flaws and occasionally fail. Some need help from their friends to succeed. Gilgamesh is egotistical and challenges the gods, and ultimately fails to become immortal because he's afraid to eat the plant. Beowulf is a complete baller up until he gets his shit pushed in by the dragon because he doesn't know when to quit. Odysseus isn't the strongest or bravest Greek, but he's clever, and keeps at it despite failing to reach his home for over a decade. Luke Skywalker doesn't do jack for the first film and is totally getting carried by his friends until he blows up the Death Star with luck - and in the end of Return of the Jedi, he doesn't even save the day himself, he gets his father to experience a change of heart and do it for him.

Rey doesn't do any of this. Rey never fails, never needs help to escape or to win a fight or to blow up the bad guys. Rey is the new Jedi Jesus, and god forbid she have any sort of legitimate obstacles thrown in her way that she can't immediately overcome.
>>
>>64430663
To prove my point, look at what happens when a dictator dies or is overthrown in real life, or when a strong business dictator-style leader leaves his business empire.
Without immediate succession it usually crumbles apart very rapidly.

In the original films its very clear that the Empire's generals are very tired of being pushed around by the sith lords. They're already disillusioned about their authroity and power and are looking for ways to gain power or dissent.
Especially if it undermines Vader. They fucking HATE Vader.
>>
>>64430801
>a feminist scavenger, a negro slave, a pirate and his dog, and the woman commander-in-chief to take down the evil white empire

In other words, the liberals take down the nazis. This narrative went out of date like 40 or 50 years ago.

What we should have seen is the multicultural republic paradise of aliens, negroes, humans, feminists, etc., at the height of his power, and the sith should basically represent the white nationalists working on the fringes to overthrow the multicult republic. That would have actually been a relevant narrative. But it didn't happen because the liberals ALWAYS have to portray the whites as being the authority and the power, and never admit to their own imperialism.
>>
>>64430600

kek

Luke has to go on a journey where he struggles and grows, that's the whole point of the Hero's Journey, it transforms you.

Rey is either perfect or picks up anything she needs to learn instantly without any real conflict. There is no growth, it completely misses the point of the Hero's Journey.
>>
>>64431027
She clearly has anger and abandonment issues though. Sure she saves the day now, but Luke will immediately call her out on it when he trains her and she'll fucking hate him for it. (She comes of as a bit of a loner and quite arrogant and naive)
>>
File: 1451782593218.jpg (24 KB, 578x483) Image search: [Google]
1451782593218.jpg
24 KB, 578x483
>tfw the ONLY reason people bitch is because he killed Han
>>
>>64431044
I mean, Finn is essentially the negro slave. He is the black man at the time of the 1950s-60s who wakes up from his love of the evil white empire, and then joins the Civil Right's Movement. This film is a rehash of cultural events from 50s years ago.
>>
>>64431036
actually when a right wing capitalist dictator steps down the country's transition is relatively peaceful. see Pinochet or Franco.

when the country is a leftwing socialist country the upheaval and transition is usually more violent.
>>
File: FUCKINGJEDIREEEE.jpg (62 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
FUCKINGJEDIREEEE.jpg
62 KB, 960x640
>>64427155
>>
>>64431201
Kylo Ren is the young white nationalist who realises that his father sold his ancient heritage out to the hippies and liberals and jews of the world, and so he idolises his grandfather, i.e. the man from the time when Europe was ruled by whites. Kylo Ren's anger and frustration is precisely this - his lost identity. On the one hand he loves his father (Han Solo), on the other hand he recognises that Solo is a degenerate scoundrel who can't even stay with his mother (just like so many broken families / divorces today), and so he idolises his grandfather, Vader, who represents traditionalism, authority, etc. His feelings of powerlessness and inadequacy are the feelings that young white men have today who have been totally alienated from their cultural past. Supreme Leader Snoke is going to turn out to be manipulating Kylo Ren.
>>
>>64431247
Are you implying that leftist societies didn't have dictators?
If anything it was the leftist dictatorships I was thinking most about. Ones that try to indoctrinate a way of living or an ideal like the Nazis and the Soviet Union.

The Empire is very much that. They push for an ideal that everyone mutually works for expansion and domination in return for certain luxuries and safety.
People that try to innovate or lead that aren't powerful lords usually meet a quick and violent end without successfully manipulating some sort of immunity or immediate usefulness.
>>
>>64428844
The force is literally given power levels.
>>
Han Solo you're a fucking cuck, how retarded can you be to actually try to talk to your son after he's batshit insane
>>
>>64429661
>knocks down two goons
>can't shake TIE fighters in her home turf
>is a mechanic
>releases deadly aliens trying to close blast doors
>closes a door at the right moment
>shoots a storm trooper
>resists force power
>uses force power after a few attempts
>hides
>pulls light saber
>gets outclassed in fight by badly injured guy trying to not kill her
>gets a shot in as the ground collapses and enemy still is explicitly not trying to kill her
So OP compared other protagonists.
>>
>>64427155
>I think the thing that's really stopping me from liking VII is this miserable faggot.
Kylo is the best character in the movie. And by best I mean he has the most going on, he's the most interesting.

Seems like you actually wanted Evil Badass #203.
>>
>>64431789
That's not how midi-chlorians work!
Who even bothers with prequel shit moving forward? JJ or Kasdan don't give a fuck so it's basically non-canon.
>>
>>64431045
Her journey isn't even over. It literally just started.
>>
>>64431045
Kylo is on the Hero's Journey stupid, Rey is good at everything so she can fall to the dark side.

>Mace Windu: The boy has exceptional skills.
>Obi-Wan: But he still has much to learn, Master. His abilities have made him... well arrogant.
>Yoda: Yes. Yes. A flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.

>Luke: Is the dark side stronger?
>Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
>Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?
>Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive.
>>
>>64428245
Tell that to Kanjiklub
>>
>>64430801
Nah, rebels fighting space nazies is what the OT was about and people really eat it up. Why would you expect fucking Disney to move away from the formula is beyond me.
>>
>>64432429
Leia talked him into it. It's her fault he's dead. His love for her proved ultimately fatal when you think about it.
Going against his instincts as a smuggler.
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.